Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guess who decided to fire up the bike for while forgetting he wrapped plastic sheathed tiedown chain around the headers in November?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do not secure your bike by the headers. They are not load bearing headers

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmyeah, in retrospect something obvious I should have realized in November.

I wrapped it around the frame, headers, wheel, pretty much anything to annoy anyone trying to do anything but lift it.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Put some knobbly-ish tyres on my WR125X. It might have involved pinching a tube and then paying someone else to change one of the tyres.

Now to go explore some lanes as long as we're not locked down!

Megabook fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 16, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They made a 125cc WRx supermoto?! That owns so hard. Bet it's heckin flickable.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was thinking the same thing.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

They made a 125cc WRx supermoto?! That owns so hard. Bet it's heckin flickable.
It's my first bike, so hard to say, but it is good fun.

It's one of the few 125s that don't feel cramped for a 6'2" rider! Maybe someone needs to setup an exchange program where we send WR125Xs to the US in return for DR650s.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I popped a zerogravity double bubble windscreen on.

Installed R&G case covers. Turns out the right side case cover didn't fit precisely as there was one tab that existed on the engine that didn't have a corresponding cutout on the cover.

And the mystery tab

I tried to go easy with the hacksaw and make it look like a factory cut but you can only do so much. I might go in later with a dremel and clean up the rough edges but not entirely displeased.

Let's see, what else..

Oh and ... dropped it, slipping on gravel pulling it out of the shed :tipshat:

One of those drops where I'm valiantly fighting to keep it upright with all my bodyweight and it's more of a gentle lay down rather than an outright THUNK but still annoying. Nothing even remotely scratched but the frame slider which did it's job so no real complaints. Definitely need to tamp down the gravel around the shed though to keep from a repeat.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 17, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ordered a bunch of ticky tacky small parts for the WR today and finally fixed a problem I was having with my brake caliper. Previous owner removed these steel oval washers that attach to the inside of the rear arm. They were removed for whatever reason and it was causing my brake caliper to jiggle when my rear nut was fully torqued. After looking over a parts diagram much closer, I realized they were missing, ordered them up and voila ... Problem solved.

Now I need to put on my new rear brake switch, and replace the exhaust manifold gasket. gently caress, also need to order new handguards since the poo poo ones the PO stripped out. I'll never buy a used dirt bike again unless it's just for parts or a project. The decisions people make to avoid spending $10 on parts is astounding.

*Update*

Renting a thread repair tool was the best idea. Those things work magic. I repaired a few issues across my bike and everything torqued down perfectly. Replaced all above issues. Bike is working and running well. Did 30 miles of trails in the Washingtons Olympic peninsula today. 60° and sunny. Couldn't ask for a better day. My forearms are gassed and my grip strength is not existent at the moment. Also have a nice case of money butt and the insides of my knees are sore from gripping the bike while standing. I needed that.

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 22, 2020

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Stuck in quarantine hell so teaching myself CAD with parts for the xr650r the local 3d printer guy can make

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

Stuck in quarantine hell so teaching myself CAD with parts for the xr650r the local 3d printer guy can make

:hellyeah:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m trying to work my way through Fusion360 tutorials for same reason. Working on a brake modulator electronics housing :cool:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

washed it & adjusted the chain for the first time after installing it

keeping my fingers crossed for decent weather this coming weekend (or being laid off) so I can go scout the MABDR

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shelvocke posted:

\o/

CAD design like this is an extremely, extremely useful skill

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

right arm posted:

washed it & adjusted the chain for the first time after installing it

keeping my fingers crossed for decent weather this coming weekend (or being laid off) so I can go scout the MABDR

I think it was said before but this kind of cool depth of field photography and the bright geometry make it look like a toy

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
which is hilarious because they are huge burly rear end bikes

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Was on the highway after sundown when a guy on CBR600R overtakes me at the usual 600 speeds, but then slows down and starts waving at me. Took me a couple of seconds but I realized he was telling me that my brake light was out, which was terrifying considering I was on the highway after sundown.

So as soon as I get home, I pop my rear seat open and begin poking things with a voltmeter. Not a big deal, definitely a burned bulb because stuff on the same harness branch is still fine. (I did figure out in the process that my rear brake switch was too loose though.)

Being as I have PTSD from how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get to everything on the FRONT of the bike, I resign myself to the idea that I'll have to tear the rear fairing off. This is always nerve-wracking because it's a loooong thin u-shaped piece and I'm always terrified it will just snap in two when I'm pulling it out of the tabs.

After a 1.5 hour procedure of trying to be real careful not to break any of the plastics, I finally get the drat headlight housing out

Look at the housing. Realize the bulb could have been replaced by popping the rear seat up. Realize it's another hour to put the drat thing back together. Cry.

Remember kids, try the easy thing first!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Mirconium posted:

I resign myself to the idea that I'll have to tear the rear fairing off

Gotta admit that before I had even finished that sentence I was wondering wtf you where doing.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

finally settled on a set of fog lamps I like and that weren't stupidly expensive

to date I have installed:

rigid side shot driving lights

no name chinesium flood lights with an amber halo

no name chinesium spot lights with a white halo

and finally I have settled on some cyclops auroras. I like them as they have the halo, but since the CANBUS is picky, I had to either wire them to a switch (I prefer to have less poo poo on my bars than the average ADVrider) or buy a little relay thing that will allow me to wire them into the high beam switch. that part is arriving this weekend, so until now I've just got the DRLs wired to the switched power behind the headlamp

also got a roll of tesa tape so now that I've settled on something I am prettying up my wiring as the R6 I owned previously was a loving rats nest due to the PO installing a tail tidy and just generally not giving a poo poo lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

I had to either wire them to a switch (I prefer to have less poo poo on my bars than the average ADVrider) or buy a little relay thing that will allow me to wire them into the high beam switch. that part is arriving this weekend, so until now I've just got the DRLs wired to the switched power behind the headlamp

Did you order them with the Skene dimmer? Lets you run the LEDs at lower than full blast so you can have them on even with the low beam. The flashing pattern actually works too, it's woken up a couple of folks at intersections

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

Did you order them with the Skene dimmer? Lets you run the LEDs at lower than full blast so you can have them on even with the low beam. The flashing pattern actually works too, it's woken up a couple of folks at intersections

nah honestly I just wanted something I could use with the brights offroad that would be even uhh brighter as the standard 1290SAR lights are quite bright being LED and all

but I have seen some 790s with the dimmer and they do look rad. DRLs with the DRLs on the headlamp look good so far!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Today I played a hunch and finally fixed the valvetrain ticking that's been worrying me the past year that I've had this bike.

Here are the 8 crush gaskets that I pulled off my i4 engine:

Turns out it was an exhaust leak all along caused by re-using/stacking gaskets, thanks PO!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
HA! My P/O did the same thing using two gaskets. The poo poo people decide to do. It's baffling.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

Today I played a hunch and finally fixed the valvetrain ticking that's been worrying me the past year that I've had this bike.

Turns out it was an exhaust leak all along caused by re-using/stacking gaskets, thanks PO!

:lol: more gaskets = better.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've definitely smothered crush gaskets in olive oil before installing.
They're hell to get off but they will never be the source of your exhaust leak if crushed properly.

I also never sold the bike that way so :shrug:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The OEM exhaust on these bikes has a self-centering clamp over each header but this aftermarket exhaust does not. Since the headers aren’t lined up perfectly they leave the gaskets a little uneven and ripply, and the two layers were just making that worse. Starting the fresh gaskets flush against the block has let me get a proper seal I think.

Edit: tell me more about olive oil... I use axle grease to hold these in place while I line up the headers, same deal?

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 26, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I use bearing grease as well. I've seen people use anti seize but I think it would just end up acting like grinding paste and doing more harm than good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ulf posted:

The OEM exhaust on these bikes has a self-centering clamp over each header but this aftermarket exhaust does not. Since the headers aren’t lined up perfectly they leave the gaskets a little uneven and ripply, and the two layers were just making that worse. Starting the fresh gaskets flush against the block has let me get a proper seal I think.

Edit: tell me more about olive oil... I use axle grease to hold these in place while I line up the headers, same deal?

I usually use Bel-Ray waterproof grease but I was in a pinch and had all my poo poo packed up and only had access to olive oil.
There was no good reason besides it was what was available, but I never had a problem after that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ulf posted:

lol unreal

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cleaned it, installed a gear indicator:

https://imgur.com/LOWoUs3.mp4

Hell yeah farkles :sparkles:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love analog dials. So much. All digital makes me sad now :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Cleaned it, installed a gear indicator:

https://imgur.com/LOWoUs3.mp4

Hell yeah farkles :sparkles:

I've fitted several of these and I still don't understand what they're for. Do you forget what gear you're in? And why does it even matter what gear you're in?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah everyone knows the best gear indicator is kicking up into the nonexistent 7th gear every 15 seconds as long as you are on the bike

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

I've fitted several of these and I still don't understand what they're for. Do you forget what gear you're in? And why does it even matter what gear you're in?

I almost never forget what gear I'm in, and mostly ride based on the tach/engine note anyway. I just found out these exist, found one for :10bux:, and was in the mood for some flashy junk. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Last Sunday I went out with my buddy to do drills in a parking lot, one of those things I used to do when I was learning and always think I should do, but never get around to it. Worked on panic braking (I kept on locking the rear so I should probably learn to get lighter on the rear brake), figure 8s and circles around cones, and a cone weave thing. I kind of forgot how humbling a somewhat small circle of cones can be, and it was also helpful to have my friend film me for part of it. All common issues and things I'm aware of and have seen other people get coached on, but first I was looking at the cones not looking through the turn, which is dumb because I think I'm pretty good at looking through turns on the road (but maybe not?). Second issue was while I thought I was leaning off a fair amount (every panel on my bike has damage so I figured a lowside in a parking lot in full leathers wouldn't be a big deal), I had that classic bad form when you're hanging your leg and butt off, but my head and should were still over the center of the bike. Easy enough to work on at least. I swear my form is better at freeway speeds on freeway connectors / on-ramps, but maybe I need to get filmed doing that.

As we were cleaning up I realized I had no idea how my buddy got a broom and the cones down to the parking lot on his drz, turns out he had a really sketch way but it got him to and from his destination:

(does what you did to improve your riding count as doing something to your bike? seemed like the best place to post it)

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It's nice to know for sure what gear you're in to get the right amount of chutzpah for the lovely clutch up that you immediately put down once you see oncoming traffic 2 miles ahead of you

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

yeah everyone knows the best gear indicator is kicking up into the nonexistent 7th gear every 15 seconds as long as you are on the bike

Kick up into "7th". Cancel turn signal. Shakey shakey right leg. Shakey shakey left leg. Stretch out back. Watch that driveway. Kick up into "7th". Cancel turn signal. Chicken wing right arm. Shakey shakey left arm. Stretch out back. Oncoming car. Kick up into "7th". Cancel turn signal. Stretch out left knee. Stretch out right knee. Stretch out back. Hey, cool bird. Kick up into "7th". Cancel turn signal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Last Sunday I went out with my buddy to do drills in a parking lot, one of those things I used to do when I was learning and always think I should do, but never get around to it. Worked on panic braking (I kept on locking the rear so I should probably learn to get lighter on the rear brake), figure 8s and circles around cones, and a cone weave thing. I kind of forgot how humbling a somewhat small circle of cones can be, and it was also helpful to have my friend film me for part of it. All common issues and things I'm aware of and have seen other people get coached on, but first I was looking at the cones not looking through the turn, which is dumb because I think I'm pretty good at looking through turns on the road (but maybe not?). Second issue was while I thought I was leaning off a fair amount (every panel on my bike has damage so I figured a lowside in a parking lot in full leathers wouldn't be a big deal), I had that classic bad form when you're hanging your leg and butt off, but my head and should were still over the center of the bike. Easy enough to work on at least. I swear my form is better at freeway speeds on freeway connectors / on-ramps, but maybe I need to get filmed doing that.

As we were cleaning up I realized I had no idea how my buddy got a broom and the cones down to the parking lot on his drz, turns out he had a really sketch way but it got him to and from his destination:

(does what you did to improve your riding count as doing something to your bike? seemed like the best place to post it)

Leaning off at very low speeds is arguably counterproductive unless your bike has gently caress all ground clearance. I think of leaning off as a slider, with input fidelity on one end and lean angle safety on the other. At high speeds you lean off lots because you're barely controlling the bike and any inputs you make are slow and measured, the priority is to help the chassis and tyres do their job. At low speeds you don't hang off at all because control inputs are by far the most important thing as even a small wiggle can be your undoing.

Also counter-leaning is a thing, it makes u-turns a thousand times easier but it's hard to pull off on a sporty bike with small bars.

Think about how gp riders rode in the 80's: bum off really far, thigh practically parallel to the road, but torso upright with elbows floating. It's not because they didn't know what we know now or were somehow less skilled, it's because that was the compromise between the demands of lean angle clearance vs the demands of gathering up a sudden potential highside with no warning. The modern guys can hang off ridiculously far because they have electronic safety nets and much friendlier bikes in general, no need to worry about highsides. You don't hang off the same way everywhere, ideally you change what you do for the situation at hand, there's no ideal single approach that works best everywhere.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Personally my issue is more taking a tight corner and kicking it into 1st, which is too much of a jump from 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Phy posted:

Kick up into "7th". Cancel turn signal. Shakey shakey right leg. Shakey shakey left leg. Stretch out back. Watch that driveway. Kick up into "7th". Cancel turn signal. Chicken wing right arm. Shakey shakey left arm. Stretch out back. Oncoming car. Kick up into "7th". Cancel turn signal. Stretch out left knee. Stretch out right knee. Stretch out back. Hey, cool bird. Kick up into "7th". Cancel turn signal.
I feel attacked.