Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kerrzhe posted:

i remember someone asking for a southern hemisphere version of the list of fish disappearing so here is one

Quoting this for future me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Reposting for the new page.

Derek from Fargo reporting a turnip price of 408!

Dodo code 5CH4P

The shop will be open for another 3 hours, but I'm not sure I'll keep my gates open the whole time.

If anyone stopping by wants to drop off some apples or white pansies, I'd really appreciate it!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Spent far too long finding Wisp's stupid body parts and then he up and completely disappeared on me! For quite some time he was in the same general spot he'd spawned in (the usual behavior of him and similar NPCs, so far - they don't wander) and once I finally got the fifth spirit part, he's nowhere to be seen. Cased the island and don't see him. Messed with the camera to make sure he wasn't hiding behind any nearby trees or buildings.

Does he disappear at certain hours or something? Starting to wonder if him spawning near the brand new Nook's Cranny somehow meant he despawned with the Nooklings at 10pm...

I'm assuming it's some sort of horrid bug for now. I'll probably have these pieces taking up an inventory slot forever :v:

While I'm asking dumb questions:
  • Is there any benefit to cutting down trees with the unprefixed axe, besides the look of stumps and the fact that certain insects seem to spawn on them?
  • What does bait do exactly? Used it on a fish and saw no difference. Haven't tried using it without any fish around yet...
  • What's the point of watering plants? They seem to grow either way.
  • Is there a set period for fruit regrowth? Feel like it's 2 days but relatively sure I've seen apple trees that are taking longer...
  • Why is this game so goddamn wholesome?!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) cutting down a tree with the axe is good if you need a tree to not be there anymore
2) bait summons a fish where there was not one previously, or replaces whatever fish is already there
3) watering flowers that are next to each other means they might make hybrid flowers or something

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

bitprophet posted:

Spent far too long finding Wisp's stupid body parts and then he up and completely disappeared on me! For quite some time he was in the same general spot he'd spawned in (the usual behavior of him and similar NPCs, so far - they don't wander) and once I finally got the fifth spirit part, he's nowhere to be seen. Cased the island and don't see him. Messed with the camera to make sure he wasn't hiding behind any nearby trees or buildings.

Does he disappear at certain hours or something? Starting to wonder if him spawning near the brand new Nook's Cranny somehow meant he despawned with the Nooklings at 10pm...

I'm assuming it's some sort of horrid bug for now. I'll probably have these pieces taking up an inventory slot forever :v:

While I'm asking dumb questions:
  • Is there any benefit to cutting down trees with the unprefixed axe, besides the look of stumps and the fact that certain insects seem to spawn on them?
  • What does bait do exactly? Used it on a fish and saw no difference. Haven't tried using it without any fish around yet...
  • What's the point of watering plants? They seem to grow either way.
  • Is there a set period for fruit regrowth? Feel like it's 2 days but relatively sure I've seen apple trees that are taking longer...
  • Why is this game so goddamn wholesome?!

the Axe just straight-up chops down tree goodbye forever. the flimsy and stone axe will not remove the tree, but still get you resources.

bait makes a fish show up. use it where a fish isn't, and suddenly: fish

watering flowers will make them grow more flowers, sometimes. if you're lucky you can get a hybrid flower, which is a different color and is cool!

fruit is like 3 days for your native one and 4-6 for others, i think?

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Tergaso posted:

Does every island have a secret beach cove? Fish don't seem to spawn here but it looks super cozy.

Mine does. Didn't find it until the other day.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I thought I could game the system by only completing two of the villager houses one by one for the only two islanders I invited (Marina then Audie) because I wanted them to get specific furniture but the houses were sold to Audie then Filbert. So I think once you complete one house it immediately rolls a rando if you have an empty invite and assigns them all to houses regardless if you completed them yet.

Edit: after I confirmed the two names on the signs I did end up completing the third house that same day so the move in order turned out to be Audie Marina Filbert, which fits the peppy normal lazy trend. Not sure if that wouldve changed if I left one house unfinished

VibrantPareidolia fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 26, 2020

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I've spent somewhere in the region of a hundred fifty bait and lots of trying to fish shadows of the right size trying to get a golden trout. Lots of char, a few stringfish from the really big shadows, boatloads of cherry salmon and more yellow perch, dace and black bass than I can shake a pole at. It's frustrating.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I talked to Celeste who said there would be a meteor shower tonight. I’ve been looking the sky for awhile and don’t see anything. Do you only have 1 shot per night?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've gotten a bunch of bamboo DIY recipes and it seems like there's a lot of them so not everyone has the same ones, so something I tried offering the other night was an open call for free bamboo crafting for anyone who wants what I can make. I just got a new one today so the list with material costs is:

bamboo lattice fence (tan)- 6 bamboo per 10 units
bamboo backpack (goes great with yukata and kimono outfits)- 6 young bamboo
bamboo bench (green, can be customized tan or dark red)- 8 bamboo
light bamboo rug (medium size, looks like tatami)- 6 young bamboo
bamboo doll (glowing bamboo shoot that reveals a magic flying baby) - 6 young bamboo

I have a Dodo code set up so for the next hour I'll make whatever for whoever shows up with the mats. Code is M5SCK, I have a little workshop set up on the beach east of the airport. Swing by anytime before midnight eastern US time for some bamboo craft.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Can i come to your islands and mine your rocks for ore? Does that take them away from you?

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

lowercase16 posted:

Reposting for the new page.

Derek from Fargo reporting a turnip price of 408!

Dodo code below

The shop will be open for another 3 hours, but I'm not sure I'll keep my gates open the whole time.

If anyone stopping by wants to drop off some apples or white pansies, I'd really appreciate it!

Communication Error... I never had that many people before. I think we overloaded it.

New code is 8VBLF

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Nuts and Gum posted:

Can i come to your islands and mine your rocks for ore? Does that take them away from you?

most of the Nook Ticket islands have 3 or 4 rocks

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Just a note: you DO NOT need stones for the slingshot.

Unless it's taking them out of my house's storage, I never ever have stones on my person and it still shoots. I'm still reading back on page 176 but I seriously needed to say this because so many people think you need stones in order to shoot it. I assume it's a leftover thing from the older games?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I found an island that was just two levels of cliff, river and waterfall and actually managed to get two sturgeons and a stringfish! It did involve running around on the cliffs, scaring away smaller fish for about an hour though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hey, so I recommend putting a music player near your plaza and throwing on a song. You won't regret it.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Tergaso posted:

Does every island have a secret beach cove? Fish don't seem to spawn here but it looks super cozy.

Mine does, but it's smaller than that. Level 2 height at the top of my island runs from one full side to the other. Like a secret highway.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blaziken386 posted:

Bob has been one of my favorites since the first game, and I'm so glad I got him early on. :allears:
You go, Bob, yell as much as you want.

I'm on day 3, almost day 4 and Bob showed up on my second Nook Island. I'm so excited. :pusheen:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

phourniner posted:

Just a note: you DO NOT need stones for the slingshot.

Unless it's taking them out of my house's storage, I never ever have stones on my person and it still shoots. I'm still reading back on page 176 but I seriously needed to say this because so many people think you need stones in order to shoot it. I assume it's a leftover thing from the older games?

The slingshot has never had a cost to fire, stones didn't exist as an item before this game. It does have durability but it takes awhile to break. (And might only take damage on balloon hits.)

Color Printer posted:

Hey, so I recommend putting a music player near your plaza and throwing on a song. You won't regret it.

Did you have some villagers show up and sing? I don't have any music playing but I had two of my villagers singing in the plaza last night. :3:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Some quick questions about growing trees:

1) I crowded some saplings so they weren't growing, but moved them to more space. Will they grow now or are they stuff as saplings?
2) I have some young trees that I shifted around... will they still mature or did shifting them around impact their growth?

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Stringfish don't exist, they are a myth,, I got a manila clam, manila is my favorite flavor of clam.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I want to chop down my trees but I have no memory of where I planted my money.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Color Printer posted:

I also recommend using the cold chill reaction in the midst of your villagers' choir performance.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Color Printer posted:

Not at all what I was expecting. Too cute!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ElTacoGato posted:

Stringfish don't exist, they are a myth,, I got a manila clam, manila is my favorite flavor of clam.

I caught like three in the span of an hour just walking around the various tiers of my island. I dunno, guess I got lucky. I didn’t even know they were such a big deal!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
:stare:
i need this wall recipe, god drat

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just needed a few more bells to upgrade my house.

Resident services is closed all day tomorrow so I won't be able to do it tomorrow. I just needed a few more and I had been fishing for an hour and there was like 3 minutes and my pole broke. I ran to my house and grabbed everything out of storage I didn't mind losing. Sold it.

Need like 350 bells. I took the clothes off my back, and went to sell, but little Timmy thought I was asking about a lamp instead of talking to him. Then he said "Well it's 10 o clock, get the gently caress out".

Not to give up, I look for a balloon, those have money sometimes. Find one, and shoot it and it falls directly in the river (this got me like 500 nook miles as a consolation lol, wish I had video captured it).

Ah well, guess no new house for me until Saturday

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just needed a few more bells to upgrade my house.

Resident services is closed all day tomorrow so I won't be able to do it tomorrow. I just needed a few more and I had been fishing for an hour and there was like 3 minutes and my pole broke. I ran to my house and grabbed everything out of storage I didn't mind losing. Sold it.

Need like 350 bells. I took the clothes off my back, and went to sell, but little Timmy thought I was asking about a lamp instead of talking to him. Then he said "Well it's 10 o clock, get the gently caress out".

Not to give up, I look for a balloon, those have money sometimes. Find one, and shoot it and it falls directly in the river (this got me like 500 nook miles as a consolation lol, wish I had video captured it).

Ah well, guess no new house for me until Saturday

Go visit someone who still has their shop open.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I had a floating present give me a recipe for a wand, and the floating present immediately after that was a lacy green dress. I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ElTacoGato posted:

I kept throwing bait at the top of the highest waterfall and one spawned in after like 10 baits.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jesus are all the constellation furniture that Celeste gives you that goddamn expensive to make?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Game has some cool furniture options that might not look like much in the DIY menu. Love these glowing bamboo lamps.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Is there any way to see the passports of other players? Seems like a pointless feature if people can't see it, but if there's a way to do it I still haven't figured it out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

Jesus are all the constellation furniture that Celeste gives you that goddamn expensive to make?

I have only run into Celeste on someone elses Island; does she show up like a visiting special envoy?

I will spend whatever I can for that furniture

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Dip Viscous posted:

Is there any way to see the passports of other players? Seems like a pointless feature if people can't see it, but if there's a way to do it I still haven't figured it out.

Papers Please DLC coming soon

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm the one scouring my island for 15 minutes because I heard/imagined the faint wooOOoooosh of a present floating by somewhere goddamn it :tinfoil:

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Dip Viscous posted:

Press minus, it's one of the options during online play.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Today was a good day

He's home!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to all the southern hosts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the effects rack... is an actual effects rack............................!!!!!!!!!