Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

After getting a writing credit for ROS, casting a tv show seems like a step backward. Reddit should get a better agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vinylshadow posted:

I like the contrast between the reds, blues, and greys

No idea why the Skywalker Saber is so special, especially since Anakin's lost so many he's taken to carrying around multiples with him wherever he went, so I'm sure if you walked up to a merchant and asked to see their weapon selection, they'd have a few dozen sabers in stock

Probably not true. Lightsabers in the RPGs were presented as being fairly specialized, difficult-to-use weapons. If you wielded one you were a Jedi, an exotic weapon enthusiastic (SCA anyone?), or somebody soon to be minus a few important appendages. In today's world could you obtain a Japanese-style, real cutting edge katana today? Sure, but it'd be somewhat pricey and you'd need to do a but of research to find somebody who already had one or was willing to forge one. But it's not like you could just drop by your local Walmart or gun store and snag one. Like that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Angry Salami posted:

It's like, literally the one thing the old EU didn't fixate on, and they had short stories about every single alien in the cantina, and came up with an elaborate backstory for where Leia got her bounty hunter disguise. And even they recognized that the dice were too small and insignificant for anyone to care about.

I quite liked them in TLJ for that reason. You feel Han's absence more because all that's left of him is these lovely little dice

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

2house2fly posted:

I quite liked them in TLJ for that reason. You feel Han's absence more because all that's left of him is these lovely little dice
And his spaceship. And dog.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im baffled by anyone who is like "you need an incomplete story to make a sequel". Its like they live in 1996 forever thinking history is over.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Everyone posted:

Probably not true. Lightsabers in the RPGs were presented as being fairly specialized, difficult-to-use weapons. If you wielded one you were a Jedi, an exotic weapon enthusiastic (SCA anyone?), or somebody soon to be minus a few important appendages. In today's world could you obtain a Japanese-style, real cutting edge katana today? Sure, but it'd be somewhat pricey and you'd need to do a but of research to find somebody who already had one or was willing to forge one. But it's not like you could just drop by your local Walmart or gun store and snag one. Like that.

Anakin constantly losing his lightsaber is just a long running joke (started by George Lucas). Lightsabers being a cheap lovely weapon you buy in a bar comes from Darths & Droids.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Payndz posted:

And his spaceship. And dog.

I'm going to gently suggest at this point that Chewbacca does not count as Han Solo's property.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

I'm going to gently suggest at this point that Chewbacca does not count as Han Solo's property.

I don't think you need to be gentle about it. That's the kind of suggestion that needs be driven home with a massive, SLAVERY IS BAD, YOU MORONS sledgehammer.

By that point his spaceship had basically gone to Rey and Chewbacca (who is not property but a sentient, free-willed being) had chosen to accompany her, so... yeah, all Leia really had left of Han was those lovely dice. And maybe his Yavin medal.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Besides, if anything, it's Han that was Chewie's property on account of Chewie having a far longer lifespan and keeping his dumb rear end alive throughout the OT

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I dunno if Chewie is all that smart himself; he loses holochess to a toolbox, his repairs to the falcon don't seem to be any better than Han's, he is easily trapped by Ewoks, screams and complains all the dang time

He probably doesn't even know what a parsec is either!

Do we ever see Chewie directly save Han or anyone? He turns the ground battle on Endor, but that's all I can remember atm

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blood Boils posted:

I dunno if Chewie is all that smart himself; he loses holochess to a toolbox, his repairs to the falcon don't seem to be any better than Han's, he is easily trapped by Ewoks, screams and complains all the dang time

He probably doesn't even know what a parsec is either!

Do we ever see Chewie directly save Han or anyone? He turns the ground battle on Endor, but that's all I can remember atm

He pulled Han and Lando up from the Sarlaac and was flying the Falcon at the Trench Run while Han was gunner, which kinda means he saved Luke from Vader there. Other than that he killed a boatload of Stormtroopers in various firefights across the trilogy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He saved C3PO from being melted down for scrap and put him back together

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

2house2fly posted:

Chewie and Anakin are maybe the least droid-racist characters in the Star Wars movies. Obi Wan is one of the most.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Chewie and Anakin are maybe the least droid-racist characters in the Star Wars movies. Obi Wan is one of the most.

New Disney side stuff puts Obi Wan mid-range okay with Mace being the worst of the protagonists by far. Movies only, Lucas seems to make protagonists who are the most racist like Owen Lars and Jimmy Smits die for it. Obi in the movies does kind of care about his astromech, at least.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Darko posted:

New Disney side stuff puts Obi Wan mid-range okay with Mace being the worst of the protagonists by far.

By New Disney, are we just talking about 5 episodes of Clone Wars?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

By New Disney, are we just talking about 5 episodes of Clone Wars?

I'm counting what Disney "counts" now as their canon as opposed to old EU, so Clone Wars, etc. One of the most congruent and better things about it are that the most droid-friendly characters are always the main protagonists, showing that a lot of it at least "gets" a big point from the Lucas stuff (possibly because he had a big hand in Clone Wars so that got more emphasized and pushed). The old EU didn't even really notice this at all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Darko posted:

New Disney side stuff puts Obi Wan mid-range okay with Mace being the worst of the protagonists by far. Movies only, Lucas seems to make protagonists who are the most racist like Owen Lars and Jimmy Smits die for it. Obi in the movies does kind of care about his astromech, at least.

I dunno about that last bit, at the start of episode 3 his astromech gets its head ripped off by buzz droids and he basically just winces

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Darko posted:

Eh, he doesn’t seem to beat up about it when the buzz droids do his astromech at the beginning of RotS. And not sure how much the Clone Wars cartoon counts, but there’s a whole arc where R2 gets captured by the Separatists and Obi Wan admonishes Anakin for never wiping R2s memory, potentially putting any rebellion intelligence known by r2 at risk.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

2house2fly posted:

Don't insert your politics into my space adventure movie. drat SJWs.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

ruddiger posted:

Eh, he doesn’t seem to beat up about it when the buzz droids do his astromech at the beginning of RotS. And not sure how much the Clone Wars cartoon counts, but there’s a whole arc where R2 gets captured by the Separatists and Obi Wan admonishes Anakin for never wiping R2s memory, potentially putting any rebellion intelligence known by r2 at risk.

Not to mention that at first he’s like, “Dude, why are you going through all this trouble over a droid? Just get a new one” before he learns about the intel.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chill Penguin posted:

Not to mention that at first he’s like, “Dude, why are you going through all this trouble over a droid? Just get a new one” before he learns about the intel.

gently caress it. At this point I want the Cylons from the new Battlestar Galactica to show up and start breaking some furniture in the Star Wars universe.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ROS deleted scene:

https://i.imgur.com/l7jeUo9.mp4

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

galagazombie posted:

He pulled Han and Lando up from the Sarlaac and was flying the Falcon at the Trench Run while Han was gunner, which kinda means he saved Luke from Vader there. Other than that he killed a boatload of Stormtroopers in various firefights across the trilogy.

2house2fly posted:

:wookie: thank you friends, I knew my memory was failing me

That's marvelous

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That scene's missing sound though

https://twitter.com/KyloIsSad/status/1242115209226936322

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Why do pilot helmets have blast shields like that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
To shield them from the blasts?

duh!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

if lightsabers are so powerful why don't they make the whole Jedi out of what they use to make the lightsaber

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Then they wouldn't be able to kill each other

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

homullus posted:

if lightsabers are so powerful why don't they make the whole Jedi out of what they use to make the lightsaber

Someone post the thingy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

porfiria posted:

Someone post the thingy.

https://twitter.com/DFWAlex2289/status/1242170801610272769

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/NthDoctorWho/status/1243119411726344194

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There’s a scene in Phantom Menace where Jar Jar starts to eat something at the Mos Espa marketplace until the vendor tells him it costs seven Wuipi and he spits it out. How does Jar Jar know the value of a Wuipi, when that’s presumably a local currency?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

General Dog posted:

There’s a scene in Phantom Menace where Jar Jar starts to eat something at the Mos Espa marketplace until the vendor tells him it costs seven Wuipi and he spits it out. How does Jar Jar know the value of a Wuipi, when that’s presumably a local currency?

He spits it out to say, “wupiupi?”, in a tone that suggests he has no clue what that currency is

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Zoran posted:

He spits it out to say, “wupiupi?”, in a tone that suggests he has no clue what that currency is

I hear it as though he spits it out to say “seven wupiupi?!”, as if that’s outrageously overpriced. His reaction seems a little oversized if he’s just unsure of the amount he’s been quoted.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe Gungan society views food as a basic Gungan right, so he is shocked that a society would even charge any money for food in the first place.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Jar-Jar is broke, any amount of money is too much.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How old do Gungans get? Can Jar Jar get shoehorned into the Mandolorian or one of the other shows coming?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jar Jar canonically has the final spoken dialogue in Return of the Jedi. He could potentially be alive in The Mandalorian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

How old do Gungans get? Can Jar Jar get shoehorned into the Mandolorian or one of the other shows coming?

I think there was rumor of him being in the Obi-Wan show