Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure I agree with igneous being best for insulation for high SHC reasons. Yeah, that means it heats slower, but the heat that comes through has more "grunt" behind it. Mafic is better than igneous because of a lower TC, and can be found in salt biomes. Igneous is still decent because of lower TC than granite or obsidian though.

Everything is moot when it's regular tile touching any insulated tile. Line the inside of your base with granite tiles for the tiny decor boost, put a layer of whatever-mineral-is-plentiful insulated on the outside. Seal in an iron volcano by regular obsidian tiles on the inside and insulated sandstone on the outside. Tile-to-insulated-tile just DGAF for heat transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One other thing to consider is when you're dealing with metal volcanoes you sometimes need to use obsidian just in case it manages to get hot enough to melt igneous.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Re: radiant pipes.

Are you saying unless I am using refined copper/iron/ etc I might as well use granite?

I built my spom over a cold biome that just so happened to have a nullifier, Soni radiant piped the O2 output through it and the nullifier, and insulated back into the base to shoot cold o2 everywhere

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mazz, are your pacu in brine?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Roundboy posted:

Are you saying unless I am using refined copper/iron/ etc I might as well use granite?

I built my spom over a cold biome that just so happened to have a nullifier, Soni radiant piped the O2 output through it and the nullifier, and insulated back into the base to shoot cold o2 everywhere

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Thermal_Conductivity + ctrl+f "liquid pipes". Look at the table and use that for comparisons.

If you have 80C oxygen into a 10C pipe, and its coming out 40C, that means your pipe's thermal transfer is not high enough. You can compensate with higher thermal conductivity, or more thermal segments. If you use granite as a baseline (3.39), wolframite is 5x times better at 15, and lowly lead radiant pipes are 20x better at 70. The gas pipe mechanics are the same but you can't build out of as many materials.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OzyMandrill posted:

I don't run a single power brick yet (I plan to do so when I get enough space/time), instead I have multiple small power generating areas, but these can feed into the main base power room using transformers. This lets you have small power plants near stuff like natural gas geysers/excess energy from SPOM, without having to centralise everything yet.

The downside of this is that your electrical engineer has to do a lot of travelling to tune up all your power generators. +50% power generation at the cost of 5 kg of refined metal per generator every 3 days isn't anything to sneeze at if you haven't gotten to the "more power than you'll ever need" stage yet.

Roundboy posted:

No, what they're saying is that unless the room you're running the pipes through is specially designed to have a very high heat transfer rate (like by using tempshift plates), then using radiant pipes at all offers no benefit over a normal granite or sandstone pipe.
code:
Material       Thermal Conductivity
Steam          0.184
Water          0.609
Crude Oil      2.000
Ice            2.050

Mafic Rock     1.000
Sandstone      2.900
Granite        3.390
all other rock 2.000   (also sand and dirt)
The first four materials on the list are the highest non-stone/metal TCs you're likely to run into under normal building conditions. Metal ores have TCs higher than granite, refined metal has TCs higher than its ore, and radiant pipe doubles the TC of whatever it's made from. But those higher TCs don't matter for heat transfer under normal conditions; when two objects of different temperatures are in contact with each other, only the lower TC is used for purposes of calculating the transfer rate.

In earlier versions of the game, heat exchange would consider the TCs of both objects and using radiant pipes would also alter the heat exchange equation. This is no longer the case.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Submerging reservoirs into chlorine gas as a way to disinfect the water *inside* of the reservoir doesn't make sense. I wish they'd require you somehow mix liquid chlorine into it instead, even though that sounds like a giant PITA.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or bubble it through with a gas pump.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
So, what has always worked, and continues to work, and feels less cheesy, is germy water -> pitcher pump -> ore purifier -> bottle emptier.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do people have tips for Verdante? Even setting up wells full of oxyfern, I just can't keep going.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mazz, are your pacu in brine?

Yes, makes them nice and salty (no reason they are other than I liked splitting the tank liquids up).

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I see what you mean about pipes. Since I have a background of just co2, im not getting the cooling I should. I can add diamond shift plates too.

My o2 is traveling around at 0-6f so it's good enough for me right now. I'm just getting into steel on this map, so that will be my cooling effort later

My germy go to has been a series of reservoirs in a sealed room with a storage bin off gassing bleach stone. With enough time it cleans a tank but not any water in pipes. My crude use was timers to move from one to the next and have it sit for most of the day in each, and at the very beginning have fresh water flush the pipe out for a tick or two

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do people have tips for Verdante? Even setting up wells full of oxyfern, I just can't keep going.

You can get 1 dupe for every 3.5 oxyferns. I ran on 6 dupes for a looooong time (200? cycles) on just oxyfern.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Few dupes to start, oxyfern at the beginning, make rust deoxidizers somewhat a priority.

Hope the printing pod gives you a few hatches.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For the hard maps you basically always want to run very few dupes early on.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm doing Verdante atm. and I'm not finding it too bad to be honest.
All the oxyferns at the bottom of the base, now in hydroponic tiles with a pressure sensor in the middle of the base. Strip down a swamp biome to supply algae terrariums, stick a deodoriser above them and let the polluted water sit there for bonus oxygen and I'm up to 12 dupes at cycle 70 with no electrolyser in sight. I'm actually having overpressure problems tbh.

I also left as many soil tiles around as possible in the starting area for pip-planted wild arbor trees that feed ethanol distillers and the basic power plant. CO2 is my main problem. 3 carbon skimmers, a ranch full of slicksters, and now 2 gas pumps and a very long pipe sending it to space, but the constant renewable power means you can sieve the polluted water from the swamp biomes so water's not an issue any more.

I did use Tools Not Included to get a seed with glaciers and a cool slush geyser (which I've only just found and it's bloody miles away) so I have some primitive cooling, but having played now I suspect I could have used another rust biome to cool my ethanol trickle for the nosh beans. Not that I really need them, I have 500,000+ kcals of mushrooms and pip eggs sitting around, but I'm hoping to build up a sustainable line of spicy tofu eventually.

I never even considered tuning the generators tho. Was a bit wary of consuming the refined metal (though does it work with lead, cos I have lots of that).

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Algae terrariums are great if you have the water. I put mine on mechanical airlocks tied to a pressure sensor so that they are disabled when the air pressure is high.

There are two ways to use terrariums: with or without offgassing the polluted water. If you recycle the polluted water the algae terrarium is efficient, if not producing a lot per terrarium, consuming primarily (~75%)algae and some (~25%)water. The problem with algae is that most of it comes from digging, the supply is limited and it is hard to produce more.

If you offgas the polluted water, well, things are very different. You'll likely run out of sand deoderizering the polluted oxygen before algae. This primarily consumes water and produces much more oxygen per terrarium. It took some tinkering to get to the build I use for this, which if you are running out of oxygen you may be reluctant to do. Side bonus, I've produced 200T of clay before on maps that had none.

If you lack water and have access to rust, the rust deoxydizer would still be my recommendation though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Generator tuning does indeed work with lead and it's rather a waste to do it with anything else unless you have an above-average metal volcano.

Edit:
I'm going to give up on this map and start fresh because my base has a bit too many exploity / sandboxed stuff in it and I want to be a bit more orderly with my flooring. It's pretty blessed even as Terra maps go:

SNDST-A-1263960319-0

What's strange is that I don't remember any water geysers and I definitely had more than one cool slush geyser. In fact, the geyser and AETN layout is all wrong but the biomes are right: https://toolsnotincluded.net/map-tools/map-browser/map/245109

Because the simple mod will only let me upload a world less than 60sec old I'm not sure why this is so different from what I just played on for 600+ cycles...? I loaded a fresh map with the same seed, no other mods running. Is the RNG not consistent across patches?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 26, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

insta posted:

I'm not sure I agree with igneous being best for insulation for high SHC reasons. Yeah, that means it heats slower, but the heat that comes through has more "grunt" behind it. Mafic is better than igneous because of a lower TC, and can be found in salt biomes. Igneous is still decent because of lower TC than granite or obsidian though.

Everything is moot when it's regular tile touching any insulated tile. Line the inside of your base with granite tiles for the tiny decor boost, put a layer of whatever-mineral-is-plentiful insulated on the outside. Seal in an iron volcano by regular obsidian tiles on the inside and insulated sandstone on the outside. Tile-to-insulated-tile just DGAF for heat transfer.

Mafic used to be only on the surface so I always kind of disregard it as common, you’re correct tho. As is needing obsidian around most volcanos as igneous will melt (inner layer only assuming you 2-layer as needed).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 26, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Mazz posted:

Mafic used to be only on the surface so I always kind of disregard it as common, you’re correct tho. As is needing obsidian around most volcanos as igneous will melt (inner layer only assuming you 2-layer as needed).

Ah...

I just realized I surrounded my new iron volcano with insulated tiles from igneous rock.

Uh... whoops. I guess I know what I’m doing next time I boot the game up!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It will be fine for like 800 cycles. The thermal transfer from tile: tile is 1:1, tile: liquid is 1:25, tile:gas is 1:625.

I am pulling these numbers from memory ... they are buried deep within the wiki and forums. Just keep in mind tile: tile is the best by far.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
That’s good info, thanks. I kind of had a feeling. I walked it in with a nearby cool steam geyser 20 tiles away, too, so it’ll probably never be a problem. My plan was that the steam would cool the iron, and then I could deal with the heated steam with a turbine; this didn’t really work out, but I’m sure it’s good enough to protect my igneous tiles.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Shumagorath posted:

Is the RNG not consistent across patches?

One of the post-release updates did alter seed generation. They eliminated the ability for maps to have contradictory traits.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

insta posted:

It will be fine for like 800 cycles. The thermal transfer from tile: tile is 1:1, tile: liquid is 1:25, tile:gas is 1:625.

I am pulling these numbers from memory ... they are buried deep within the wiki and forums. Just keep in mind tile: tile is the best by far.

There are different rules for heat transfer when tiles are adjacent to something at a temperature that can melt them. Or at least there used to be, it's hard to follow all the patches. People used this to melt insulated insulation tiles, something that should otherwise be completely impossible.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

First three geysers in my current run are disappointing; 2x Chlorine and 1x CO2. Any good use for those?

I also found a polluted infectious oxygen with slimelunged PO2 coming out, right next to an ice biome with AETN. Am I right in that it's free oxygen if I run it through a group of gas reservoirs sitting in chlorine, then out of vents right next to purifiers?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

To clean it after it's cool, you can always make a room with an input in the bottom, a row of air tiles, a row of deodorisers on top, and then 2 or 3 buddy bud plants above them to fill the room before you start pumping it in. The deodorisers will pull the polluted oxygen from underneath and the 1-germ-type-per-tile will kill all the slimelung in the upper section.
Gas temperature needs to be low enough not to kill the plants though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

canepazzo posted:

First three geysers in my current run are disappointing; 2x Chlorine and 1x CO2. Any good use for those?

I also found a polluted infectious oxygen with slimelunged PO2 coming out, right next to an ice biome with AETN. Am I right in that it's free oxygen if I run it through a group of gas reservoirs sitting in chlorine, then out of vents right next to purifiers?

I like having one chlorine vent around to feed squeaky puffs for bleach stone or just to have a renewable source of. Now that caustic biomes arent 1/3 of the map chlorine feels way more finite, but this is also for bases I take past 1500 cycles.

I just realized this was also partly because my reservoirs were door controlled and those doors delete some gas every time they open/close, but the automation patch fixed that. Huh.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 26, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh poo poo, they finally fixed the "doors destroy gasses" thing?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Unfortunately no, at least I don’t think so. you can just automate reservoirs directly now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ah yeah that makes sense. that doesn't really help me though, i already automated my reservoirs via a germ sensor + shutoff valve. set germ sensor to "less than 0", put the valve behind a few seconds of buffer gate to catch any weird liquid packet weirdness that happens sometimes, seal in some chlorine, you have a perfect disinfector. needs a little bit of plastic for the sensor tho, but i usually have plastic way before germy water amount becomes problematic.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

canepazzo posted:

2x chlorine? Sounds like you're farming squeaky pufts for food and/or saltvines for salt.

I am still on my "consume all the rust" kick though, so I'm going to need a lot of salt.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

insta posted:

2x chlorine? Sounds like you're farming squeaky pufts for food and/or saltvines for salt.

Can you get saltvines without an initial rust biome?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can! Just that, you have to shoot a rocket with a bio cargo bay to a Salty Dwarf so it's kind of not practical.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Is there an asteroid type that gets rust biome and chlorine geysers but not salt water geysers? I feel like a closed loop that produces salt, sand, and table salt from chlorine isn't particularly useful, given how limited the uses are for salt.

Is there a way to re-salinate water?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cease to Hope posted:

Is there an asteroid type that gets rust biome and chlorine geysers but not salt water geysers?

toolsnotincluded.com says there are badlands seeds that meet those requirements

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What are some quality of life mods out there that are worth exploring?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm a big fan of:
Deselect New Materials
Make it so when new items are discovered, storage boxes with everything in that category checked don't automatically add it. Bleach stone getting put into your Coal store anyone?

Sweep By Type
Give filters to the sweep command.

Favorites Category
Duplicates designated in the materials list. Helps keep track of important ones like coal or algae.

Show Building Ranges
Shows the active ranges of buildings in the build preview and when selected.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Nice! Thanks!

I've also seen the zoom out mod recommended, how do you all feel about it?

Is there anything to streamline building stuff? e.g. say I want to upgrade regular farm tiles to hydroponic ones. Right now I have to queue up deleting them and then install the new ones once that's done, and then replant the same crop... wish I could do that in one step.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
What xenoborg said, and:

Drag Tool Area - Shows the number of tiles that are covered by the current selection. For making rooms without maths.
Wounded go to Med Bed - Dupes will automatically get assigned to a med bed if they are injured.
Pliers - Allows you to separate utility grids without deconstructing them.
Wrangle Fliers - The critter trap does not work for flying critters and uuugh, gently caress that shine bug that got into your dormitory
Build over Plants - YES Please
Plan Buildings without Materials - Allows you to plop down building sites even if you dont have enough materials currently in storage
Geyser Calculated Average Output - Adds the information that you actually want to know to the tooltip.
Claustrophobia - Stuck Duplicant Alert - So you can get them out BEFORE they die
CustomTemperatureOverlay - a finer grained temperature overlay (esp. useful for the extreme temperatures)
GasOverlay - More distinguishable colors for the different gasses
Bigger Building Menu - Use that screenspace (if you have it)
Zoom out mod - yea, get it. If only to make screenshots of your megabase.

Interesting if you really want to know:
Thermal Tooltips - because googleing the specific heat capacity is just not fun
Food supply tooltips - Adds the calories that the animal/plant can provide per cycle given the current circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

^^^ good lists.

If you only get one mod, get Pliers. So drat convenient. I wouldn't play without it.

Also, don't forget Blueprints. Even if you don't want to make & save your own blueprints, get it for the "copy" function that lets you drag and copy any group of structures you've planned or built. This mod works really well with Plan Buildings Without Materials.

Edit - DGSM if you want to choose exactly what interests & traits your dups have. Be warned it makes the game a lot less challenging. I would use this one after you've played a while and you want to goof around or do a gimmick run.

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 27, 2020