Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There are daemon princes who were not astartes in life however it's also true that most of the younger daemon princes are former marines. Probably because being a chaos space marine puts you in a favorable position to perform deeds for your patron and achieve daemonhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I think it's Faith and Fire By James Swallow where some stupid rear end in a top hat finds a machine that he thinks the Emperor might have built that turns people into Apex psychers or whatever the top level grade is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like the "psychic poo poo making faith literally move mountains" stuff in the recent lore, it's an interesting direction to take the setting without just retreading previous editions

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
real loving dissapointed in the first third of the latest siege of terra book smh

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don’t know if it’s outdated lore or not, but there is a daemon named “Doombreed” who is specifically cited as a human warlord from m1/m2 who became a Daemon Prince.

Lexicanum posted:

Doombreed was one of the first of Khorne's servants. His True Name was long forgotten, remembered only on a scroll of dried skin, but he was once human, a mighty warlord who led armies which ravaged entire nations on Terra long ago in the Age of Terra around M1/M2. He was responsible for genocide and murder on a grand scale, such wanton carnage drawing the eye of the god Khorne, still relatively young, who granted the warlord the ultimate reward of Daemonhood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doombreed is literally Genghis Khan reincarnated as an agent of Chaos

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There was powerful chaos warlord in one of the Cain books called Varan the Undefeatable who was just a regular human Psyker. He could instantly brainwash anyone who heard his voice. (Though it has to be in person.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I finally read Magos

It was tremendous. Abnet is by far the best of the bunch

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sek isn't exactly a daemon prince. He has reality warping powers that alter people's perceptions of his corporeal form, but he doesn't have the immense physical strength or warp connection that a full Daemon Prince possesses.

Successful chaos generals tend to be endowed with exceptional power, and he was mutated enough to be extremely hard to kill. They had to shove an antitank mine down his weird giant mutant mouth to do the job.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The thing about Sek is that I don't think even that was his real form. His appearance is reflected in what individuals want to see in him. Holofurnace saw the embodiment of an enemy. Mkoll saw something he could kill.

One of the funny ways that the warp can bite you in the rear end.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

I finally read Magos

It was tremendous. Abnet is by far the best of the bunch

I think Wraight is a slightly better writer, but Abnett has more quantity and has kept his quality up over all of it so it depends on what metrics you want to define makes someone the best. As much as I love Abnett's work it is surpassed by Watchers and Vault of Terra series which I would consider the pinnacle of BL fiction out so far and they aren't even done. It's honestly splitting hairs though, especially when you throw ADB into the mix.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I’ve started playing TW: Warhammer 2 and have started to get lore-curious :gay:

Anything good out there in the non-40k setting? Bonus points for involving Lizardmen somehow.

I’ve read a couple of the Gotrek and Felix books and sort of enjoyed them, for reference.

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
I've been re-reading gaunt's ghosts and man does abnett really want to make sure you understand the female soldiers are attractive, except for the one that's got a scarred face he wants to make sure you understand she is no longer attractive

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mzuri posted:

Anything good out there in the non-40k setting? Bonus points for involving Lizardmen somehow.

I’ve read a couple of the Gotrek and Felix books and sort of enjoyed them, for reference.

The Emperor's Armies omnibus is solid (Sword of Vengence and Sword of Justice), the Vampire Ulrika and Thanquol & Boneripper omnibuses are solid if you want to know what happened to those respective characters after Gotrek and Felix, and all three are good for "This is what life is like in the political world of X race".

Blackhearts was pretty good, The War of the Beard omnibus is good if you want a reason to hate the elves even more, and the Nagash, Sigmar and Maleketh omnibuses were all pretty decent "Origin" trilogies for the Tomb Kings, Empire and Dark Elves respectively.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Randalor posted:

The Emperor's Armies omnibus is solid (Sword of Vengence and Sword of Justice), the Vampire Ulrika and Thanquol & Boneripper omnibuses are solid if you want to know what happened to those respective characters after Gotrek and Felix, and all three are good for "This is what life is like in the political world of X race".

Blackhearts was pretty good, The War of the Beard omnibus is good if you want a reason to hate the elves even more, and the Nagash, Sigmar and Maleketh omnibuses were all pretty decent "Origin" trilogies for the Tomb Kings, Empire and Dark Elves respectively.

Cheers!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I forgot to mention the Vampire Genevieve novels are good, and The War of the Beard is actually The War of Vengence omnibus (but is called the War of the Beard in-universe)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I enjoyed the vampire wars collection, especially the last short story.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I think Wraight is a slightly better writer, but Abnett has more quantity and has kept his quality up over all of it so it depends on what metrics you want to define makes someone the best. As much as I love Abnett's work it is surpassed by Watchers and Vault of Terra series which I would consider the pinnacle of BL fiction out so far and they aren't even done. It's honestly splitting hairs though, especially when you throw ADB into the mix.

I’ll try those out

Thanks

(I like Abnett because of all of them he seems to understand humans the most. I don’t know Wright but I’m about two years behind the thread )

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mzuri posted:

Thulman: Witch Hunter is the poor mans Eisenhorne

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 23, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
This fan made animation is from Sept. 2018 but just got put in my recommends thanks to the ALGORITHM.

The Damocles Crusade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAtrABZahvw

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

This fan made animation is from Sept. 2018 but just got put in my recommends thanks to the ALGORITHM.

The Damocles Crusade

Huh, I saw this for the first time today as well. Weird how that algorithm works.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
To beat a dead horse, it's got more going on than Death of Hope.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

The Damocles Crusade

That's the guy who made the single best 40k fan made video ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-istquWjZ8M

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Saturnine came in today! I'm ~50 pages in and Abnett's already sucked me in. I've laughed out loud twice.

Spoilered, but not a spoiler. Ice burn:

quote:

"There is work to be done,' he announced.

'I'm aware.' said Abbadon.

'My beloved lord,' said Eidolon, 'grows--'

'Many more supple breasts every day?' asked Aximand.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

In these Nurgle blessed times it would be nice if it got a early digital release...

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Are the Ahriman books worth reading? I've never read anything by John French before.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

Are the Ahriman books worth reading? I've never read anything by John French before.

They are ok. Nothing special. John French is a lot better these days though. His Horusian War series is very good.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

You are gonna want to stay away from Saturnine spoilers. We get some major lore about the emperor and primarchs. Like long standing debate settlers. Abnett you beautiful bastard.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

D-Pad posted:

You are gonna want to stay away from Saturnine spoilers. We get some major lore about the emperor and primarchs. Like long standing debate settlers. Abnett you beautiful bastard.

This limited early release poo poo is going to happen for all of the Siege books, eh? That sucks.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

D-Pad posted:

goddammit i need an ebook of it asap

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I'm really struggling with The First Wall.. about 45% in.. does it get better? Or Gav Thorpe through and through?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What's the list of "Need to read" Horus Heresy books before reading the Siege of Terra series? I know it's fairly short, but all I've read is... uh... Horus Rising.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

I really enjoyed the Ahriman books. I thought they had some really cool scenes and just the concept to me was super cool. I personally really enjoyed them even though there are some pacing issues. I would highly recommend reading.

How do I get a copy of Saturine :(

PS: I can't get through The First Wall. I've started and stopped like several times and I usually kill most of the books in 2-3 sittings smh. I took Valdor all the way though the first time I sat down to read it and the previous Siege books I finished real fast

Randalor posted:

What's the list of "Need to read" Horus Heresy books before reading the Siege of Terra series? I know it's fairly short, but all I've read is... uh... Horus Rising.

The First 3
Legion
A Thousand Suns
Prospero Burns
First Heretic
Know no Fear
(I liked Fear to Tread but ultimately its not necessary)
Betrayer
Unremembered Empire
Scars
Path of Heaven
Master of Mankind

IMO

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 26, 2020

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Double post :(

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

ed balls balls man posted:

I'm really struggling with The First Wall.. about 45% in.. does it get better? Or Gav Thorpe through and through?

There's a decent payoff to the tedious armed convoy plot and that gets fewer pages in the back half of the book.

Also it shows Sigismund growing a bit in his own way, but never gets great.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arbite posted:

This limited early release poo poo is going to happen for all of the Siege books, eh? That sucks.

Yeah they really need to just release them at the same time as the wider release. A lot of people end up reading spoilers, which don't always give you the context and reveals can seem lame that were cool in the books. It has to depress the wide release sales I would think. The turbo nerds like me are still going to buy them even if it doesn't allow us to read early.

I really have a lot of work today, but I am probably going to end up finishing the book. It's real good. Abnett has always done battle scenes well, but he tries some new writing techniques he hasn't used before to convey how much more massive and bloody the SoT battles are and it works really well. I was not expecting the lore I mentioned in my previous post. I like it a lot, but holy gently caress is there going to be some salt in some corners about it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Just finished Watchers of the Throne: Regent's Shadow, and it's excellent, recommended.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

D-Pad posted:

A lot of people end up reading spoilers, which don't always give you the context and reveals can seem lame that were cool in the books. It has to depress the wide release sales I would think.
This is me. And after finding out that Saturnine was out, and was by an author I like, and had spoiler worthy things I immediately went to went to look these spoilers up.

If these are real ... uh, maybe it works out to actually read.

I did like this post from reddit though,

quote:

[The three month delay] produces myopic viewpoints in which people feel frustrated at a lack of the ability to actually read the book and are forced to form opinions around a mere few pages or even just bullet points. The more inflammatory passages float to the top, yes, but if they wanted fair judgement, they should've allowed us to actually judge the novel's merits and flaws.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Galvanik posted:

This is me. And after finding out that Saturnine was out, and was by an author I like, and had spoiler worthy things I immediately went to went to look these spoilers up.

If these are real ... uh, maybe it works out to actually read.

I did like this post from reddit though,

I just did that and I don't know what to think as well. I'll wait for the ebook release to judge properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I haven't read a recent Black Library book since I think 2018. With quarantine, I want to read some 40k or AoS poo poo. Anything good come out in the past year or so that I might have missed?