Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

beanieson posted:

I miss jimmy Simpson but really doing anything else with his young MIB character is probably unnecessary

Dolores could recreate him or something. I just like Jimmi Simpson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really thought the whole 'robot running away and getting shot' was just a distraction and Maeve had taken control of a second robot and it had her lightbulb brain.

When we saw it break the glass and grab one, I was sure it was just some random bulbbrain.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Rick and morty overload of the virtualized worlds cpu thing isn’t a bad trope in and of itself.

They should have gone with dividing by zero because a lot of people have seen divide by zero errors in relation to computers and it would have helped those not so familiar with virtualization and time compression.

Also they go out of their way to explain that their world runs faster than real-time, making those in the normal world seem slow, but also leave out how everyone else in the simulation slows down as the simulations CPU gets overworked while neglecting to mention how Lee and Maeve are still running full speed AND THEN fail to show the regular world running faster than real-time to account for the discrepancy of their world slowing down

:cripes:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Zeta Acosta posted:

the ratings for this show are in the toilet, they should focus in telling good stories instead of whatever the gently caress they are doing now

The damage is done so it doesn't really matter what they do. Westworld missed it's chance to be a thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did they announce season 3 to be the last, or is it possibly still open-ended?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also they go out of their way to explain that their world runs faster than real-time, making those in the normal world seem slow, but also leave out how everyone else in the simulation slows down as the simulations CPU gets overworked while neglecting to mention how Lee and Maeve are still running full speed AND THEN fail to show the regular world running faster than real-time to account for the discrepancy of their world slowing down

:cripes:

I failed to see the point of that detail. Is it just world building or is there some sort of plothole they plugged here?

L0VE
May 3, 2010
The second episode really felt like pure filler at first. Like, "Oh cool, there's a Warworld, and look Hector is here and he remembers Maeve (hah, wrong! bet you didn't expect that twist!!), and wow, it's that guy that sort-of redeemed himself but died, but he didn't (but actually he did! the ol' double twist, betcha didn't see that coming) and so on.

Everything that's presented is just a fakeout twist, Maeve not having her powers, her being in the real world. Sure, she sees through all of these but cramming that many into a single episode was ridiculous. Maybe the writers were worried everyone had forgotten how intelligent and resourceful Maeve was after only featuring her as a major character for the past two seasons.

At the end of the day we only learned three new things:
Warworld is a thing
Warworld is close to the Forge
Serac wants to know where the hosts at the end of season 2 got sent

So apparently that third point was important enough that they had to dedicate a whole episode to it. Or maybe finding out Maeve wasn't the one to enter the coordinates got him to understand she isn't the real threat and that's the important part?

At this point I just hope the remaining episodes stick to telling the actual story of this season.

fake edit: just realized the worst scenario possible is that this season is just setting up for the real war, explaining why this season has so few episodes and why they already feel like filler - stay tuned for season 4!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But Serac apparently doesn't care where the hosts went. He just wants Maeve to kill Dolores and save the world. Which makes the entire construct pointless.

If he needed her so badly, and had both her bulbbrain and the means to create a body for her, why start their relationship by putting her back into slavery?

If someone needed my help badly but decided to make me relive my experiences as a slave, I'd try and stab them in the neck with cutlery, too.

EDIT: Season 2 is a bit of a blur, but does Dolores know where all the hosts are herself? I remember that Hale sent all their data via satellite to somewhere, which probably explains why there's a host pretending to be her, but did Hale tell Dolores why she did that?

Of course, Serac doesn't know what happened in the Forge so he may think Dolores was responsible for sending the hosts away as part of her greater scheme to destroy humanity.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 26, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What was Maeve’s escape plan after reprogramming the security robot? Was she hoping it would be able to make her a new body? Was she conscious and using her remote control function? I thought she just switched its mode to riot suppression and lost consciousness after her hard drive got unplugged.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What was Maeve’s escape plan after reprogramming the security robot? Was she hoping it would be able to make her a new body? Was she conscious and using her remote control function? I thought she just switched its mode to riot suppression and lost consciousness after her hard drive got unplugged.

i imagine she had the choice between being trapped in digital hell or just winging it and hoping for the best

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

L0VE posted:

The second episode really felt like pure filler at first. Like, "Oh cool, there's a Warworld, and look Hector is here and he remembers Maeve (hah, wrong! bet you didn't expect that twist!!), and wow, it's that guy that sort-of redeemed himself but died, but he didn't (but actually he did! the ol' double twist, betcha didn't see that coming) and so on.

Everything that's presented is just a fakeout twist, Maeve not having her powers, her being in the real world. Sure, she sees through all of these but cramming that many into a single episode was ridiculous. Maybe the writers were worried everyone had forgotten how intelligent and resourceful Maeve was after only featuring her as a major character for the past two seasons.

Warworld is a thing
Serac wants to know where the hosts at the end of season 2 got sent

Four things, if you count that her powers don't work on hosts any more. Given how explicitly they spelled it out, I think it's likely it'll hold true on 'real' hosts, as well. I generally detest mind control tropes as a rule, and I really hated that she had that ability in the first place, so it'll be a welcome addition to season 3.

L0VE posted:

So apparently that third point was important enough that they had to dedicate a whole episode to it. Or maybe finding out Maeve wasn't the one to enter the coordinates got him to understand she isn't the real threat and that's the important part?

At this point I just hope the remaining episodes stick to telling the actual story of this season.

I think the main point of the episode was to introduce Serac as a player, and that's it. He's already set up as the guy that controls the Macguffin AI that Delores is trying to assert control over.

Next episode will be the reintroduction of Ed Harris, maybe followed by another Delores centric ep, then we'll see Bernard, Stubbs Maeve and Serac all get together. Or who knows, maybe none of that will happen; they sure do love to ~subvert expectations~. I don't have much skin in the game. I've been in hate-watch mode ever since they killed my bae Armistice

L0VE posted:

fake edit: just realized the worst scenario possible is that this season is just setting up for the real war, explaining why this season has so few episodes and why they already feel like filler - stay tuned for season 4!

This is almost definitely going to be the case, if we even get a full-on shooting war in the first place. I'm wondering if it'll be more like a cold war based on subterfuge/control over that Macguffin machine that they set up in episode 1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

Four things, if you count that her powers don't work on hosts any more. Given how explicitly they spelled it out, I think it's likely it'll hold true on 'real' hosts, as well. I generally detest mind control tropes as a rule, and I really hated that she had that ability in the first place, so it'll be a welcome addition to season 3.

We don't really know that. We know it didn't work in the simulation, but that was a separate thing made by someone else. She probably just didn't have root access in that separate thing. She might still have root access on hosts in the actual parks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

L0VE posted:

Warworld is a thing

No, my understanding of the events is that these two things are not true. Warworld isn't a real place, just a simulation that Serac made up for Maeve. She wouldn't know better anyways, and I think the idea of making up a whole new world to throw her off makes sense. Obviously it didn't work though, but it was a good effort on Serac's part that would have worked on anyone else. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are people really not getting that what Maeve was in wasn't real?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Are people really not getting that what Maeve was in wasn't real?

Well, I think people are making a perfectly fair assumption that while they understand Maeve was in a simulation, that it is based on a simulation of a real world Delos park. But actually we never get confirmation that this is the case. I don't feel like Robert Ford would have created Warworld though, that's too obvious and doesn't really fit with his vision for these parks.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Well, I think people are making a perfectly fair assumption that while they understand Maeve was in a simulation, that it is based on a simulation of a real world Delos park. But actually we never get confirmation that this is the case. I don't feel like Robert Ford would have created Warworld though, that's too obvious and doesn't really fit with his vision for these parks.

Have you not seen the amount of nazis in tyool 2020? The demand is most likely there, and they’ll be around forever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All the rich fucks going to cosplay as camp guards.

Anyway, I still like my idea of all wars. Just over the hill you've got vikings fighting redcoats

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kloa posted:

Have you not seen the amount of nazis in tyool 2020? The demand is most likely there, and they’ll be around forever.

Okay that's fair. Ford would still go where the money is. :v:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 31, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mooktastical posted:

I think the main point of the episode was to introduce Serac as a player, and that's it. He's already set up as the guy that controls the Macguffin AI that Delores is trying to assert control over.
Yeah, that's my read too, though there's some reestablishing of Maeve's character too, which ties in with Serac. The episode shows Maeve as smart and resourceful, and that she can care for and respect individual humans even if she thinks humanity as a whole is kinda poo poo. Which seems to be Serac's perspective too, giving the two some common ground to build a relationship around. Of course Maeve also has a real problem with people trying to control her, hence attempting to stab him, but that also establishes something about Serac - he's at least smart enough to realize that he's not so charming that Maeve wouldn't just stab him. He's a dude who can actually envision poo poo biting him in the rear end, which is probably more than you can say for 99% of the other rich people. Doesn't mean Maeve won't kill him eventually, but at least he's more of a match for a super smart robot than most.

Thinking about that pairing, I realized it contrast a lot with the Dolores-Caleb pairing. From what I can tell, Serac just wants to preserve the current world order so he can fine tune humanity, possibly letting a robot like Maeve join in at the top of society. Meanwhile Dolores is out to turn the world on its head, presently to put robots on top but possibly through her interactions with Caleb realizing that something more radical is required. And then there's Bernard just bumbling around like a big doofus with his doofus sidekick.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I feel like they're setting up a big Maeve vs. Dolores showdown where Maeve tries to stop Dolores' world domination plans, and in swoops in Bernard and Lesser Thor Brother to steal Maeve's thunder and finish the job beforehand, causing Vincent Cassel to react like " Wait what? Who the gently caress are you?".

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Honestly, I've just really kind of liked Stubbs since the very start, so seeing him actually getting a sizable role in Season 3 was the one good point from Episode 2.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Honestly, I've just really kind of liked Stubbs since the very start, so seeing him actually getting a sizable role in Season 3 was the one good point from Episode 2.
Yeah, he might make the Bernard plot bearable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm finding it really hard to get even some mindless enjoyment from this show.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Professor Shark posted:

I'm finding it really hard to get even some mindless enjoyment from this show.

It’s very pretty to look at 🤷🏻‍♂️

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I would seriously wait until the rest of the season comes out before saying this episode was completely “pointless.” This episode established some of the capabilities of Dolores’s opponent and the “rules” of a fully simulated world.

It seems likely that this is not the last we’ll see of a simulated world and that time dilation thing is something that absolutely could become very important to the plot later.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Stuff happened as well, Bernard got to and left Westworld with Stubbs in tow, I was dreading whatever he was doing there being a multiple episode thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Hoping for a venture bros style plot where every episode bernard gets incapacitated and stubbs has to murder twenty mooks with a random object

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hosts from season 2 got sent into space on a satellite and at the end of season 4 they will meet aliens in SPACEWORLD

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hoping for a venture bros style plot where every episode bernard gets incapacitated and stubbs has to murder twenty mooks with a random object
I kinda want it to be a case of Bernard doing it, then insisting that it's actually Stubbs who did it because Bernard is a sensitive thinker while Stubbs is a brute built for violence.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hosts from season 2 got sent into space on a satellite and at the end of season 4 they will meet aliens in SPACEWORLD
Westworld is a prequel to Avatar.

thebardyspoon posted:

Stuff happened as well, Bernard got to and left Westworld with Stubbs in tow, I was dreading whatever he was doing there being a multiple episode thing.
Yeah, I could easily have seen Bernard leaving in like episode 7 or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Teddy died to live in Sonicworld, arguably the best fate

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyway, I still like my idea of all wars. Just over the hill you've got vikings fighting redcoats

Doctor Who did this back in 1969; it was cool

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I think the detail most relevant to this season’s time dilation / “what if it’s *all* a simulation!?” stuff is the fact that MiB wakes up in the “future” at the end of S3. If time can be sped up inside a simulation, and MiB is in just such a simulation, that would explain how he could still come out and be in the same present as the rest of the characters.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's hard with HBO's production values, but remember most things are more True Blood than The Wire and you'll get a lot more enjoyment.

loving Stubbs did the twirly thing with an axe before chasing off 5 dudes with P90s: we are in full camp territory. We also get some neat sci fi references. Have fun.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Westworld is a prequel to Avatar.

And a pre-sequel to Soma

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
what about WetWorld and youjustgetitrealwet

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's hard with HBO's production values, but remember most things are more True Blood than The Wire and you'll get a lot more enjoyment.

I love True Blood's lovely trashy campiness to death but that show embraced its trashiness.

Westworld needs to embrace something.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite part is when the show keeps reusing catchphrases but THIS time it's another character saying it.

These violent delights have violent ends!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The one thing I liked about this episode was that it implied that the guests in Warworld were playing as the Nazis without putting too fine a point on it. But then they hosed that up since there were no actual guests and we don't know if Warworld even actually exists.

Elentor posted:

I love True Blood's lovely trashy campiness to death but that show embraced its trashiness.

Westworld needs to embrace something.

It's embraced deliberately withholding information in service of smug "mind-blowing" reveals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Still not sure how I feel about this season, it's better than the second so far but a lot of the characters mostly feel like baggage to me now. They should have just gone with a fresh park/cast each season and seen how much HBO money they could burn through with the gimmick before getting pulled.