Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I thought the assumption was the tree dies but faerie is the new seed, a new tree grows and a new sword is created, which leads up to the events of Secret of Mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beefstew posted:

Mana continuity is incredibly weird. We got Goremand and Isabella both showing up in Sword of Mana, we have a Lore Vandole who was ultra powerful and a Secret of Mana Vandole who was bitch, and we have Stroud showing up (as a different character?) in Dawn of Mana.

Appearntly some stuff that was cut from Secret of Mana stated that Vandole there was just a monster taking his name to be more scary.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

Started playing through Hawkeye's intro, and well, I don't think Isabella is using magic to manipulate anyone O_O

The first thing you see of her as she steps out from Flamekhan's throne is a zoomed-in shot square on her chest. Really classy stuff.

Whoever said this looks like a mobile shovelware game aesthetically isn't all wrong. I give this a pass because for the most part these are the character designs as they were in 1995, so we're not looking at generic anime so much as we're looking at what established the concept later known as generic anime, and I adored the SNES game back in 2002. But there's a definite skeevy anime aspect to all the women.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Agreed on both counts. There're parts that definitely show their age but I'm happier having a faithful-to-a-fault remake of the original game rather than risking what could've come from a full redesign and modernization. More clothes, perhaps, but probably more belts too...

EDIT: the two counts are "not generic, it helped define the genre" and "lady outfits are very 90s anime skeevy," not the mobile shovelware bit. I think the game looks great and charming as heck and that's coming from a Switch gamer.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 24, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This doesn't look like a mobile shovelware game because it has a font that isn't total garbage

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Towns having the same layout as the SNES version and running around them in 3D is great. It feels like a fan-made remake that would get a C&D before releasing anything, or that would release a few renders and then not actually ever get around to making the game itself, except it's real and you can play it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

DoubleDonut posted:

Towns having the same layout as the SNES version and running around them in 3D is great. It feels like a fan-made remake that would get a C&D before releasing anything, or that would release a few renders and then not actually ever get around to making the game itself, except it's real and you can play it

This is the perfect description and makes me appreciate it so much more. Those types of projects really have a lot of passion and love for the source material behind them, and I get that feeling about this one.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah the actual graphics quality is cool I meant more like how you see those phone games with thumbnails of big ol' cartoon tiddies trying to bait you in to some coded-in-a-day gacha.

None of this will stop me from getting the full game and my most serious complaint right now is that they teased me with the demo too many weeks before launch!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Now I want Chrono Trigger to get this treatment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah the actual graphics quality is cool I meant more like how you see those phone games with thumbnails of big ol' cartoon tiddies trying to bait you in to some coded-in-a-day gacha.

*Isabella enters*
Come play, my lord.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Now I want Chrono Trigger to get this treatment.

Since Chrono Trigger is the perfect embodiment of 90’s snes rpg charm, I would absolutely love that, but I think it could never happen.

Part of what I think is so charming about the Trials demo is how unpretentious it is. The game was 90’s anime schlock with, for its time, good combat, an impressively deep strategic layer and great class design, and the remake is trying to reproduce exactly that, nothing more and nothing less. And it works because the original was a niche game with a lot of bold ideas that were ahead of its time. Because the original audience was small, the scope of the remake can be relatively small. On the other hand, because the original game tried bold ideas that translate to modern games well, the remake can expand on those ideas fairly organically without betraying the original design.

A full remake of Chrono Trigger would attract a lot of press and a lot of high expectations. At the same time, the original game was extremely simple, so a lot of systems would have to be updated for the modern era. I doubt Square Enix could escape making a Chrono Trigger remake that changes the spirit and charm of the original.

Still, I hope Trials of Mana does really well and inspires more similar efforts to update the graphics and gameplay of 90s jrpgs to the modern era without all the pretense and spectacle of their modern descendants.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Which is why they should remake Chrono Cross instead.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They split the difference and remake Radical Dreamers, specifically.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Bruceski posted:

*Isabella enters*
Come play, my lord.

Honestly, this scene made me laugh out loud and works really well for me combined with her voice acting. And I'm normally instantly turned off by any game where "has anime girls" is a selling point".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Phantasium posted:

Which is why they should remake Chrono Cross instead.

Even if the remake sucked, the soundtrack alone would make it worth it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even if the remake sucked, the soundtrack alone would make it worth it.

SD3 and Chrono Cross both got me through middle school so if that was announced I’d pretty much just die

Actually, tbh, Chrono Cross doesn’t really need a remake imo; even it’s incredible soundtrack is just fine on its own

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I seem to be unable to get the demo on steam to recognize that I'm using a gamepad. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

chumbler posted:

I seem to be unable to get the demo on steam to recognize that I'm using a gamepad. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Worked for me and I'm using a generic Logitech (not that it's bad, just not something people code specifically to recognize). I think at some point I jumped through Steam's hoops to configure it though, for some other game that didn't recognize it, and while I turn that off with most games I can't recall if it was active on Trials. With how Steam's jankiness is set up I think you go into a big picture mode menu and set it on there.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chumbler posted:

I didn’t try very hard to make it work since I have the demo on both PS4 and Switch already, but I was unable to use a PS4 controller to play the demo on steam which led me to not even play it. Maybe I should dig a little deeper and try to fix it; I figured it was just not an option and gave up pretty quickly.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

played a bit if the demo and not gonna bother finishing it cause ive seen enough that its an instant buy for me. i played the hell out if the sd3 translation back in the day and im still hyped.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I love how active this thread is, but everytime I see the unread messages I think "god, imagine if this game had multiplayer of any kind". I understand the limitations, but man...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dackel posted:

I love how active this thread is, but everytime I see the unread messages I think "god, imagine if this game had multiplayer of any kind". I understand the limitations, but man...

SD3 was always a one player game for me so I'm not sweating it that much, but you're not wrong. It'd be especially fun if there was online multiplayer and we could get some goon teams assembled. FWIW though it seems like the current combat system may be set up for the player to control all 3 characters, switching when each one is close to being able to unleash a special.

I know nothing about making video games and even less about netplay. Is co-op the sort of thing that could theoretically get added as DLC or some other update in the future? Or would that be virtually impossible?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The same team put co-op in the Secret of Mana remake, I imagine they could add it, but iirc they thought because it wasn't a top down view anymore it wouldn't work as well?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
This looks super fun and cute. Gonna probably be picking it up when it comes out. I really enjoyed these back in the day and this remake looks pretty good! High hopes! :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

The same team put co-op in the Secret of Mana remake, I imagine they could add it, but iirc they thought because it wasn't a top down view anymore it wouldn't work as well?

Now that you mention it I do remember someone saying (maybe in this thread?) that they were having trouble with making the camera work for couch co-op, which is understandable imo. Net play seems like it’d be fine though, or at the very least using two Switches near each other

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, they'd have to either add a split-screen option, change how the camera works in battle, or make multiplayer ad-hoc/online only. The first would CRUSH the Switch version with it's current problems, I don't know how much battle is designed around the current camera to know if the second is feasible, and the third would probably be pretty unpopular since 'the original was local multiplayer.'

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

timp posted:

I know nothing about making video games and even less about netplay. Is co-op the sort of thing that could theoretically get added as DLC or some other update in the future? Or would that be virtually impossible?

There's the slim possibility for local co-op, but online multiplayer is something that you need to have as a basic assumption when you're building your code base if you want to have it work properly.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

timp posted:

SD3 was always a one player game for me so I'm not sweating it that much, but you're not wrong. It'd be especially fun if there was online multiplayer and we could get some goon teams assembled. FWIW though it seems like the current combat system may be set up for the player to control all 3 characters, switching when each one is close to being able to unleash a special.

Impossible, no. Improbable, yes. Very yes. Some people who played the demo complained about some of the animations and griped that it felt like a "budget release". That's probably a little unfair, but not entirely wrong. It's not a triple-A release like Final Fantasy VII's remake. It's a game Squenix considered niche, also resting in the shadow of one of the most ambitious RPG releases in years, so it was given a niche budget. It's obvious the team members were big fans of the original and tried to make maximum use of the means at their disposal, but they stated early on that they wanted to use those means on other areas of the game.

They might change their mind and add something later if the game sells unexpectedly well, but... well, Final Fantasy VII.

Phantasium posted:

If the game'd been top-down like Secret of Mana, implementing multiplayer would have been as simple as simply adding another input for the other character and everything else'd be the same. Here, they'd have to implement a split-screen mode in order for it to work well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

timp posted:

SD3 and Chrono Cross both got me through middle school so if that was announced I’d pretty much just die

Actually, tbh, Chrono Cross doesn’t really need a remake imo; even it’s incredible soundtrack is just fine on its own

I'm one of those freaks who liked Cross better than Trigger. Now Trigger is an objectively betetr game, but the story, setting and themes of Cross resonated more with me, if that makes sense.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Arguably the worst thing about Chrono Cross is that there is only one bad song in the game but it’s the song you hear the most.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Chrono cross took a fun game about time travel hijinx to save the world from a space hedgehog and turned it into a batshit crazy game about dragons and reptiles fighting computers fighting mammals through time. It also has way too many stupid characters.

Trials seems like a game I’d like a lot, but the character design is ridiculous enough that I don’t know if I should play it with my kids. This is making me feel like a prude, which I’m not.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Today's Nintendo Direct Mini featured a few short clips from Trials of Mana. Timecoded below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubRf4zyEvG4&t=1423s

Looks like one of Kevin's later class full screen techs, the Zable Fahr fight, and Lightgazer

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So much good music stuck in my head from obsessively playing the OG game for the past few days.

My one* complaint about the soundtrack is that the Dangaard music doesn't appear often enough.

*Okay one more with the remake. The standard boss music needs to pump up the bass

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

timp posted:

Today's Nintendo Direct Mini featured a few short clips from Trials of Mana. Timecoded below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubRf4zyEvG4&t=1423s

Looks like one of Kevin's later class full screen techs, the Zable Fahr fight, and Lightgazer

admittedly, the most hype I got for the direct was for X-com on Switch and Kings Bounty 2.
Cool of Nintendo to advertise though. This game needs all the help in promotion it can get.

drat you FF7

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 26, 2020

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

chumbler posted:

using a licensed Xbox One controller and haven't had that issue

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So does Ludgar have hair growing directly out of his biceps at a perpendicular angle or what is happening there.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
he's a wolfman

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah but does anyone else have hair trees sprouting from their arms?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Has anyone leveled up the Seed Plant at Inns to level 2 or higher? Curious if you can grind that out in the demo.