Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Jarmak posted:

I'm honestly not sure what your confusion is based on.

Behavior is atrocious and should not be disregarded, but gleefully calling it rape is trivializing and lovely.

If your argument is that what he did isn't rape then read this and stop loving talking to me https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/violent-crime/rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hot Karl Marx posted:

If your argument is that what he did isn't rape then read this and stop loving talking to me https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/violent-crime/rape

What he did wouldnt have qualified as rape at the time.

It's a good change. Didnt realize that got updated at the federal level .

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
My new neighbor's kid (11yo boy, most polite dude I've ever met) just came over to give us an extra bag of dog food they got from the local humane society. I told him to tell his parents that if they needed eggs, I got a 150-count box from Smart and Final because that's all they had in stock, so they're more than welcome to some. He immediately came back over with a "yes please" so I helped him carry a couple dozen back.

"I learned not to run with eggs. Or glass or knives. Thank you! Have a nice day!"

His parents are doing a great job.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

My new neighbor's kid (11yo boy, most polite dude I've ever met) just came over to give us an extra bag of dog food they got from the local humane society. I told him to tell his parents that if they needed eggs, I got a 150-count box from Smart and Final because that's all they had in stock, so they're more than welcome to some. He immediately came back over with a "yes please" so I helped him carry a couple dozen back.

"I learned not to run with eggs. Or glass or knives. Thank you! Have a nice day!"

His parents are doing a great job.

Dude this was your chance to hand down some other relevant life advice.

And you blew it.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
gently caress

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
OTOH that was cute as heck so it's fine

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Old Boot posted:

OTOH that was cute as heck so it's fine

I dunno would have it have taken so much time to tell him "dont join the navy?"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Looks like trumpbux by mid-April for most.

quote:

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Wednesday the checks will be sent out "within three weeks" to people for whom the IRS has information. You don't need to sign up or fill out a form to receive a payment if you've been working and paying taxes since 2018.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/coronavirus-checks-direct-deposits-are-coming-here-s-everything-you-n1168936

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Thanks!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Well it's military housing, his dad is an HM and his mom is prior enlisted so that ship may have sailed.

But it's never a bad time for basic firearm do's and don'ts!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
DO practice gun safety.

DON’T buy a 1911.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mlmp08 posted:

DO practice gun safety.

DON’T buy a 1911.

Sir why are you attacking me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jarmak posted:

I'm honestly not sure what your confusion is based on.

Behavior is atrocious and should not be disregarded, but gleefully calling it rape is trivializing and lovely.

Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to create an offense. He slipped in a finger without her permission. What else would you call that?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

what if I made an even more questionable life choice and got a tokarev because it's still easy to find ammo for

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

shame on an IGA posted:

what if I made an even more questionable life choice and got a tokarev because it's still easy to find ammo for

just make sure you don't get a 9mm tokarev
people around these parts get a little upset

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

In other words for the worst off, you're on your own

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

Good choice, comrade Kommisar!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

C SPAM IS LEAKING i screech at someone with ptsd from failed neolib policies

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

now is an awful time to try and buy a gun everyone is out of ammo lol

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
All of us here can vite for Biden and he will still very likely lose. I feel like the next question is what can we do locally to help people (once we are able) because the US is abiut to get loving mangled

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

All of us here can vite for Biden and he will still very likely lose. I feel like the next question is what can we do locally to help people (once we are able) because the US is abiut to get loving mangled

we gotta find someone even older and more racist for 2024

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/Just_SomeChick/...ingawful.com%2F

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

maffew buildings posted:

What are you basing this off of? Primary turnout has been through the loving roof compared to 2016 and like him or not, he's polling incredibly well against Trump right now.

I don't think Biden's guaranteed to win, but the "oh Trump is def. gonna win" poo poo is getting old as hell when the only rationale for it seems to be that the candidate some people here liked didn't do so hot in the primary.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

God I hope that is real. I want him as my mayor.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PookBear posted:

we gotta find someone even older and more racist for 2024

Cortez/Duckworth 2024

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
hah. hah. hah. hah.

hey guys

hah hah

:smith:

You want to know how bad things are now, and it's not even really going yet?

The Chinese nurses in the bay area are are organizing private donation efforts for masks & gowns from other hospital staff in China, because the hospitals here do not have masks and gowns. We do not even have close to the amount of patients that are in New York and things are already desperate.

My wife has been having to supply her own masks just to work in the hospital.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The US just released an indictment for Maduro for drug trafficking.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
"It won't affect me! I'm young and healthy! It's just the flu!" I screech through my ventilator as I drown in my own lung juices.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The US just released an indictment for Maduro for drug trafficking.
I mean he's a piece of poo poo and probably does have some connections to drug trafficking, but this isn't really the time to be stirring up poo poo in Venezuela.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Casimir Radon posted:

I mean he's a piece of poo poo and probably does have some connections to drug trafficking, but this isn't really the time to be stirring up poo poo in Venezuela.

Our shitstirring down there has been consistent and unceasing since Chavez took over and probably before.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A bunch of people in my neighborhood are making masks and face shield holders, then sending them to the local hospital. All the local distilleries are making hand sanitizer.

Meanwhile, my sister in-law is sending my wife video clips of tanks on a train going through LA thinking it means martial law is pending.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

"It won't affect me! I'm young and healthy! It's just the flu!" I screech through my ventilator as I drown in my own lung juices.

I had pneumonia as a kid and was right on the edge of ICU admission due to my O2 levels. Laying in a bed and taking big breaths still felt like you were running a 5k at 14,000 feet, plus every exhale sounded like a massive bong rip.

brains
May 12, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

What are you basing this off of? Primary turnout has been through the loving roof compared to 2016 and like him or not, he's polling incredibly well against Trump right now.

I don't think Biden's guaranteed to win, but the "oh Trump is def. gonna win" poo poo is getting old as hell when the only rationale for it seems to be that the candidate some people here liked didn't do so hot in the primary.

people say trump is going to win because half the loving country has been so thoroughly poisoned with propaganda that they will vote for him no matter how bad things get. he's at 55% approval rating right now, for fucks sake, at the time of his clearest, most objective failure and while the country is falling off a cliff. and because of our hosed up election system, two republican presidents in a row won by losing the popular vote.

the democratic nominee is practically irrelevant; someone said it earlier- even the most unpopular democrat alive still won the popular vote. the problem is structural.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I am so in love

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The US is offering a $15m reward for anyone capturing Maduro :lol:

Also, if you haven't seen this, getfiscal is still one of the best trolls around:

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1241733624086568962

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

brains posted:

people say trump is going to win because half the loving country has been so thoroughly poisoned with propaganda that they will vote for him no matter how bad things get. he's at 55% approval rating right now, for fucks sake, at the time of his clearest, most objective failure and while the country is falling off a cliff. and because of our hosed up election system, two republican presidents in a row won by losing the popular vote.

the democratic nominee is practically irrelevant; someone said it earlier- even the most unpopular democrat alive still won the popular vote. the problem is structural.

There are structural issues to be fore, but never forget that Trump's victory in 2016 was extremely narrow. He can be beaten. And that approval rating is just for his handling of the crisis-his weighted approval by 548 is still in the negatives, and he's received a historically low bump for his handling of the crisis.

Election day is still seven months away. Much can change until then. No victory or loss is guaranteed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

The US is offering a $15m reward for anyone capturing Maduro :lol:

Also, if you haven't seen this, getfiscal is still one of the best trolls around:

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1241733624086568962

incredible

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to create an offense. He slipped in a finger without her permission. What else would you call that?

After a breather to think about this I don't want to stand behind this argument, not the least of which because I don't feel good about making an argument that something isn't rape.

Regardless of accuracy of applying that label I think people were/are using it in a flippant manner with the specific intent of eliciting emotions drawn from older, less inclusive, ways people used the word rape. That's what really makes me upset because when people are high-fiving each other about being able to put "Joe the rapist" on Twitter it feels like a bad faith cheapening of horrible traumatic events to score messaging points.

I think I jumped on to whether to call it rape because I was angry and searching for an actual piece of content to argue with. I think I have a bit of a blind spot here because of personal connections to this issue that makes me fly off the handle without enough consideration of different kinds of victims and maybe for that reason I should avoid this topic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know the law isnt the be all end all of, but a lot of people base their definitions on what the state uses. For example, California PC defines rape as penile vaginal penetration only, with forcible digital penetration being a separate charge. It might seem like splitting hairs, but clearly it does matter to some people. :shrug:

Edit

Thanks for following up, jarmak. I agree with you that a lot of the tone around this seems ghoulish and gleeful, which definitely seems inappropriate to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Chichevache posted:

I know the law isnt the be all end all of, but a lot of people base their definitions on what the state uses. For example, California PC defines rape as penile vaginal penetration only, with forcible digital penetration being a separate charge. It might seem like splitting hairs, but clearly it does matter to some people. :shrug:

Edit

Thanks for following up, jarmak. I agree with you that a lot of the tone around this seems ghoulish and gleeful, which definitely seems inappropriate to me.

I was using language from the UCMJ. Yes, our rape laws are dumb uniformly. For example, spousal rape was not even a thing until the 70s.

Jarmak posted:

After a breather to think about this I don't want to stand behind this argument, not the least of which because I don't feel good about making an argument that something isn't rape.

Regardless of accuracy of applying that label I think people were/are using it in a flippant manner with the specific intent of eliciting emotions drawn from older, less inclusive, ways people used the word rape. That's what really makes me upset because when people are high-fiving each other about being able to put "Joe the rapist" on Twitter it feels like a bad faith cheapening of horrible traumatic events to score messaging points.

I think I jumped on to whether to call it rape because I was angry and searching for an actual piece of content to argue with. I think I have a bit of a blind spot here because of personal connections to this issue that makes me fly off the handle without enough consideration of different kinds of victims and maybe for that reason I should avoid this topic.

I feel where you're coming from. This sucks regardless.