Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some of you will be happy about this.

https://twitter.com/RepAOC/status/1227645281300336646

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Very happy

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

They do lots of really good research and are the premiere (but still token) renewables lab in the national lab system, the rest of which are nuclear (weapons) except the other token fossil fuel lab.

They’ve faired better than other government agencies under Trump since they’re part of the national lab system.

What’s the context?

thanks. researching a job opp.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Stoked to see it sit on a desk in the senate and die there, just like every other piece of pro-environmental legislation has for years. :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Some of you will be happy about this.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

MightyBigMinus posted:

thanks. researching a job opp.

Oh, on that note: All national labs jobs involve wayyy more paperwork than you might normally expect in a research position, especially as a staff scientist (postdocs get away with less paperwork BS). Weapons labs are the worst (for, fairly obvious reasons of needing to track all the radioactive sources in triplicate) but there's a lot of fairly unnecessary form ticking in those jobs, speaking from experience.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
NREL Unveils 15MW Reference Offshore Wind Turbine

Fuckin' siiiiick. That'd be a 250m rotor diameter, blades 120m long, towers upwards of 800' tall.

I love my job. :science:

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 20, 2020

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So, I live in Pennsylvania and through my energy company I get to "choose" my energy supplier thanks to the magic of deregulation!

I have 144 different "plans" I can sign up for from apparently dozens of providers. Some of which claim to be 100% renewable. After doing some quick research almost none of these companies even seem to own any power generation, they just take my money and buy Renewable Energy Credits equal to the amount of electricity I used. This whole "choice" system seems like a pointless extra layer of complexity/cost/opportunity for someone else to make a profit from what should ultimately be 100% public concern.

Now, I can't claim to have any knowledge of how an electrical grid works, but I can't imagine my "choice" is actually changing where the electricity in my walls is coming from and I feel dirty for even participating in this system.

Anyway, mostly looking for confirmation that I am correct, and further education on the topic so I can better argue to others how stupid this all is.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That type of de-regulation is just lining the pockets of the middle men. All the generators in Pennsylvania (and most of the Eastern US) participate in an automated wholesale market that moves generation around based on the cost to produce and demand. Since most green energy is intermittent, it doesn’t have a direct cost associated with it for generation. It takes whatever the current market price that is set by the other generators. So maybe the green credits make it back to the wind turbine owners, and helps to make a business case for longer term maintenance, or expanding the wind farm. But probably not.

You individually signing up for green energy is not going to change how many wind turbines are spinning in the near or long term. A group of people the size of a small city might have an effect, but that would mostly come from subsidizing the construction of a new wind farm.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, that's just somebody in government discovering one weird trick to make their buddies rich.

Fun fact: most of the big turbine farms are owned by Oil & Gas companies because doing so "reduces" their emissions on paper and "greens" the companies image, resulting in huge tax breaks by gaming the carbon credit system. Pretty much every Clipper farm was built & owned by BP, at one point.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Here's a super cool test of using wind to provide grid reliability services:

http://www.caiso.com/Documents/WindPowerPlantTestResults.pdf

quote:

The results demonstrate that wind resources have the capabilities to help accelerate the shift toward a future electric grid with high levels of renewable generation. These results—much like those from a similar test in 2018 on an inverter-controlled solar power plant—promise nextgeneration advances for increased amounts of renewable generation, including pairing it with storage to create more effective dispatchable resources.

During several days in 2019, the team conducted a series of tests at Avangrid Renewables’ Tule Wind Farm, located in CAISO’s balancing authority in the McCain Valley, east of San Diego. The plant currently has a maximum capacity of 131.1 MW and participates in CAISO’s energy market.

The various tests were designed to determine whether a WPP with an advanced plant-level controller with unique operating characteristics can enhance system reliability by providing essential reliability services to:
 Ramp up/down at specified ramp rates
 Respond to 4-second control signals from CAISO’s energy management system
 Control scheduled voltage when the plant’s output varies from zero to full output
 Provide fast frequency control within the inertia response time frame
 Provide frequency regulation similar to the governor actions of a conventional resource on governor control
 Respond to frequency response deviations for low- as well as high-frequency events.

The results show that a commercial WPP with an inverter-based smart controller can provide balancing or regulation up and down, voltage regulation control, active power control through ramping capability, and frequency response.
A key component of the Tule WPP is the power plant controller (PPC) developed by GE. It is designed to regulate real and reactive power output from the WPP so that it behaves as a single large generator.

GE’s PPC can provide the following plant-level control functions:
 Dynamic voltage and/or power factor regulation and closed-loop voltage control of the
WPP at the point of interconnection (POI) or the high side of the generator step-up
transformer
 Real power output curtailment of the WPP when required so that it does not exceed an
operator-specified limit
 Ramp-rate controls to ensure that the WPP output does not ramp up or down faster
than a specified ramp-rate limit
 Frequency control (governor-type response) to reduce plant output in case of an overfrequency situation or increase plant output, if possible, in case of an under-frequency
situation
 Fast startup and shutdown control when the wind is available.
General conclusions include the following:
 Improvements in smart inverter technology combined with advanced plant controls allow inverter-based resources to provide regulation, voltage support, and frequency response during various mode of operation.
 Wind resources with these advanced grid-friendly capabilities have unique operating characteristics that can enhance system reliability by providing:
o Essential reliability services during periods of oversupply
o Voltage support when the plant’s output is at zero
o Fast frequency response (within the inertia response time frame)
o Frequency response for low- as well as high- frequency events.
 Variable energy resources with the right operating characteristics are necessary to decarbonize the grid.
 Accurate estimation of available peak power capability is important for the precision of AGC control. It makes sense to include specifications for such available peak power estimations in future interconnection requirements and resource performance verification procedures.
 System-level modeling exercises will be needed to determine the exact parameters of each control feature to maximize the reliability benefits to CAISO or any other system operator that will be using such controls in its operations.
 All hardware components enabling WPPs to provide a full suite of grid-friendly controls already exist in many utility-scale WPPs. It is mainly a matter of activating these controls
and/or implementing communications upgrades to fully enable them. Issues to be addressed in the process include communications protocol compatibility and proper
scaling for set point signals. Although these are not significant barriers, dialogue and interaction between the plant operators and the system operators is an important component of implementing active power control capabilities. Modifying programming logic might be necessary at multiple places in the chain of communications.
 Fine-tuning the PPC to achieve rapid and precise response might be a necessary step in many WPPs. It might be easier with newer equipment because of the faster response times of newer inverters and controller systems.
 Many utility-scale WPPs are already capable of receiving curtailment signals from grid operators; each plant is different, but it is expected that the transition to AGC operation
mode will be relatively simple with modifications made only to a PPC and interface software.
 Fast response by wind inverters coupled with plant-level controls make it possible to develop other advanced controls, such as STATCOM functionality, power oscillation damping controls, subsynchronous control oscillation damping and mitigation, active filter operation mode by wind inverters, and other features.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i used to like elon musk and tesla, but unfortunately, he's been somewhat of a loving useless douchenozzle these past couple of years. but i am curious, has his company been doing any good works recently?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

there are several dedicated tesla/musk shitposting threads if you're bored:

c-spam: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673
yospos: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862643

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

In cool Energy Generation news, there've been some great work on utilizing inverter based electricity generation to provide grid reliability services better than most synchronous generation methods:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S104061901830215X

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/wind-plants-can-provide-grid-services-similar-to-gas-hydro-easing-renewab/574070/

quote:

CAISO, along with Avangrid Renewables, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, and General Electric, conducted tests at a wind farm near San Diego last year. The takeaway was that "a wind plant could perform as well — and in some cases even better —​ than a conventional unit," Clyde Loutan, renewable energy advisor and team lead, told Utility Dive.
CAISO last year performed the tests at a 131.1 MW wind power plant in McCain Valley, east of San Diego, which is operated by Avangrid. The facility includes 57 wind turbines and a "controller," which controls each turbine to ensure that the facility works as a single generator despite each experiencing a different wind speed, Loutan explained.

The tests found that when equipped with an inverter-based smart controller, utility-scale wind facilities can in fact provide grid services, including balancing or regulation up and down, voltage regulation control, frequency response, and active power control through ramping capability, the report said —​ services that conventional sources like gas plants currently provide. The test fits into a broader strategy of integrating more renewables into the grid by having renewables be part of the solution, Loutan said, adding, "If we need to integrate more, we need the newer ones coming in to have this capability."

This shows that utility scale inverter based renewables (wind/solar) can provide some of the few remaining grid services that have been held up as excuses why we must continue to burn natural gas.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

In cool Energy Generation news, there've been some great work on utilizing inverter based electricity generation to provide grid reliability services better than most synchronous generation methods:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S104061901830215X

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/wind-plants-can-provide-grid-services-similar-to-gas-hydro-easing-renewab/574070/

This shows that utility scale inverter based renewables (wind/solar) can provide some of the few remaining grid services that have been held up as excuses why we must continue to burn natural gas.

That's just bundling a wind farm as one virtual generator, making them perform better as a group. You still need a mix of storage or peaker plants or a massive overhead to supplement them when they can't meet demand.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lurking Haro posted:

That's just bundling a wind farm as one virtual generator, making them perform better as a group. You still need a mix of storage or peaker plants or a massive overhead to supplement them when they can't meet demand.

Did you not read either link? By bundling them together you can in fact provide the exact same grid services that those peaker plants provide and sometimes better than them.

As the chart I linked shows, wind can perform better at disturbance ride through and slow and arrest frequency decline than natural gas peakers.

quote:

CAISO has more than 7,000 MW of wind capacity in its portfolio, and with "relatively simple operational upgrades and market redesigns," virtually all of it could provide, and be compensated for, ancillary services —​ which in turn could create entirely new markets for renewables.

The study is "a first step toward realizing some of these visionary advances that could be happening," according to Gonzales.

"California is seen as a leader anyway in renewables integration, so this will just not only help us manage the grid, but help us manage a renewable grid moving forward," she told Utility Dive.

However, this doesn’t mean that California will have an easy time transitioning away from gas, Loutan said. The state’s gas fleet is still required during multiple days of cloud cover, when there also isn’t a lot of wind, and CAISO needs address issues including how much storage it would take to tide over such periods.

"I think this test tells you we can get help from the renewables —​ but it would take some more work to get rid of the conventional stuff," he added.

The next step for the researchers is to take the findings to CAISO’s Board of Governors, and tell them "wind plants can do everything that a conventional unit, a hydro or gas unit can do," according to Loutan.

Of course you still need to provide overhead for when plants go down, just like with any generation source. You'll always have to build more capacity than demand, since reactors trip, black sky events, we leak our natural gas into the air and then start to run out, etc.

The massive improvement is providing these grid reliability services that often people (based on outdated knowledge) assume only can provided by synchronous sources.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Did you not read either link? By bundling them together you can in fact provide the exact same grid services that those peaker plants provide and sometimes better than them.

Of course you still need to provide overhead for when plants go down, just like with any generation source. You'll always have to build more capacity than demand, since reactors trip, black sky events, we leak our natural gas into the air and then start to run out, etc.

The massive improvement is providing these grid reliability services that often people (based on outdated knowledge) assume only can provided by synchronous sources.

The problem this solves is stabilizing voltage and frequency, which inverters naturally can react to instantly. That's just one of the uses of peaker plants. You can use the same systems for any kind of generator.
Maximum power output still doesn't change, it just smoothes a few dips.

It can make it however easier to direct unneeded capacity into storage, water desalination or carbon sequestration.

-e-
And guess what, solar already works this way. It only makes wind perform more like solar.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Using inverters to help steady the grid makes a lot of sense, so it's good to see wind being utilised for that as well.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the numbers on solar+storage are getting pretty amazing:
https://www.energy-storage.news/blogs/battery-storage-at-us20-mwh-breaking-down-low-cost-solar-plus-storage-ppas

$20/MWh *with storage*

for batteries that cost $310/kWh, which will likely halve over the decade

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 24, 2020

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

MightyBigMinus posted:

the numbers on solar+storage are getting pretty amazing:
https://www.energy-storage.news/blogs/battery-storage-at-us20-mwh-breaking-down-low-cost-solar-plus-storage-ppas

$20/MWh *with storage*

for batteries that cost $310/kWh, which will likely halve over the decade

That number is quite misleading. The article explains it better. It is $20/MWh for the Solar portion, then an additional kicker of $20/MWh for the storage to be added on. But it isn’t a 1 for 1 storage to Solar. When they dove into the numbers, it looked like the storage output price was still going to be at about $98/MWh.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

That $20 number is not the cost of solar plus the cost of storing it before distribution, that is the cost from the averaged costs inclusive of solar power that was fed directly to the grid which makes up the majority of power distributed from the combined facility.

You had me very excited as we generate power onsite between 10c/kwhr and 20c/kwhr depending on fuel price so this would have been amazing.

In light of the Covid enforced economic retraction, are batteries really likely to get cheaper now? Fuel prices are tanking and are gong to be tanked for next five years or so, so I imagine it is going to gut the non-stop number go up expansion of the renewable industry that was evident before covid.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Fuel price tanking is hyper-short term, as soon as SA or Russia blinks or enough shale operators go bankrupt it will return to higher than before the crash.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Electric Wrigglies posted:

That $20 number is not the cost of solar plus the cost of storing it before distribution, that is the cost from the averaged costs inclusive of solar power that was fed directly to the grid which makes up the majority of power distributed from the combined facility.

You had me very excited as we generate power onsite between 10c/kwhr and 20c/kwhr depending on fuel price so this would have been amazing.

In light of the Covid enforced economic retraction, are batteries really likely to get cheaper now? Fuel prices are tanking and are gong to be tanked for next five years or so, so I imagine it is going to gut the non-stop number go up expansion of the renewable industry that was evident before covid.

I think much of the current fuel price drop now in corona times have been due to a price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia. I assume if that resolves the prices will pop up a bit. Though I have also heard that a lot of big money is also divesting from fossil fuels since the long term value of the buissness is in doubt. Mostly due to the fact that stated reserves are not likely to be fully utilized due to climate change and the associated public opinion.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There's been a huge glut in oil supply for a while. It's not just COVID-19.

The market has too much oil in the first place, OPEC is increasing production while the world enters pandemic and possibly recession or even depression.

Personally, I wonder how MBS feels about partially shattering the global economy.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Tab8715 posted:

There's been a huge glut in oil supply for a while. It's not just COVID-19.

The market has too much oil in the first place, OPEC is increasing production while the world enters pandemic and possibly recession or even depression.

Personally, I wonder how MBS feels about partially shattering the global economy.

TBF the Saudis wanted to cut production, but the Russians decided to go hog wild.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

TBF the Saudis wanted to cut production, but the Russians decided to go hog wild.

That is true but then either out of spite, anger, "game theory", etc. MBS proceeded to flood the market. I wonder if he took the upcoming pandemic into consideration. I'll bet he didn't.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Extraction cost is like $5/barrel iirc so if you assume you may eventually have to leave oil in the ground the economically rational thing to do is to flood the world in oil as long as the price is >$5/barrel.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

suck my woke dick posted:

Extraction cost is like $5/barrel iirc so if you assume you may eventually have to leave oil in the ground the economically rational thing to do is to flood the world in oil as long as the price is >$5/barrel.

And if the price is below $5/barrel?

What makes shutting down extra hard is that with the travel restrictions, the old standby of undertaking that huuuuge and long delayed maintenance rebuild of your plant is likely not possible with the current world travel situation. If you shutdown for weeks now, it is still likely you will have that lengthy shut maintenance task still hanging over your head after starting up again.

Glad I am in gold, no problems selling that product at the moment.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

without taking the time to dig up the graphs i'm gonna say the US shale market threw what, 6 - 8 Mbpd on the market over the course of the last decade? assuming 80% of that evaporates over the course of the next 2 years, that will more than offset any increase russia and ksa *could* do, let alone what they'll still be doing by then.

eat poo poo and die permian frackers, you're done

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

MightyBigMinus posted:

without taking the time to dig up the graphs i'm gonna say the US shale market threw what, 6 - 8 Mbpd on the market over the course of the last decade? assuming 80% of that evaporates over the course of the next 2 years, that will more than offset any increase russia and ksa *could* do, let alone what they'll still be doing by then.

eat poo poo and die permian frackers, you're done

For now, but they'd be right back as soon as the market shits

Edit: you know what I'll leave it as is

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://grist.org/climate/the-world-is-on-lockdown-so-where-are-all-the-carbon-emissions-coming-from/

quote:

Pedestrians have taken over city streets, people have almost entirely stopped flying, skies are blue (even in Los Angeles!) for the first time in decades, and global CO2 emissions are on-track to drop by … about 5.5 percent.

Wait, what? Even with the global economy at a near-standstill, the best analysis suggests that the world is still on track to release 95 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted in a typical year, continuing to heat up the planet and driving climate change even as we’re stuck at home.

A 5.5-percent drop in carbon dioxide emissions would still be the largest yearly change on record, beating out the financial crisis of 2008 and World War II. But it’s worth wondering: Where do all of those emissions come from? And if stopping most travel and transport isn’t enough to slow down climate change, what will be?

“I think the main issue is that people focus way, way too much on people’s personal footprints, and whether they fly or not, without really dealing with the structural things that really cause carbon dioxide levels to go up,” said Gavin Schmidt, a climatologist and the director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York City.

(Answer: Electricity and heating, all the other stuff is pretty much noise).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Phanatic posted:

https://grist.org/climate/the-world-is-on-lockdown-so-where-are-all-the-carbon-emissions-coming-from/

and concrete/construction materials.

A lot of people honestly believe a big chunk of the economy is being directly consumed by the worlds billionaires (because paper wealth gets confused with consumption) and that dialing back the economy enough to protect the environment would mainly affect the billionaires. If you went into the climate change thread and asked how their suggested changes are going to affect Africa, you would be shouted down as concern trolling. Well, here we are with a 5% reduction in emissions, billionaires still paper rich and Americans are out of work and going hungry in their millions not six months in.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 28, 2020

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I figured the drop would be far smaller than people were expecting, but I am definitely surprised that air travel isn't a bigger portion.

There are other benefits though, automobile travel and other daily-life waste producers have practically stopped, which has reduced non-CO2 emissions by an amount that has significantly changed air and water quality in a really surprisingly short of time. But that'll just make our local environments more pleasant, not better for the overall climate, sadly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Taffer posted:

I figured the drop would be far smaller than people were expecting, but I am definitely surprised that air travel isn't a bigger portion.

There are other benefits though, automobile travel and other daily-life waste producers have practically stopped, which has reduced non-CO2 emissions by an amount that has significantly changed air and water quality in a really surprisingly short of time. But that'll just make our local environments more pleasant, not better for the overall climate, sadly.

Remember, many airlines are flying empty airplanes around because the systems of incentives are such that it makes "sense".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember, many airlines are flying empty airplanes around because the systems of incentives are such that it makes "sense".

Who still is?

Airlines bid for slots. But to prevent an airline from just bidding for slots it's not going to use and using that to freeze out competitors, airlines are required to maintain a certain uptime on the slots they have or those slots go back into the pool to be bid on.

So when this all started, yes, airlines were flying empty planes so that they wouldn't lose their slots. But the appropriate regulatory agencies decided to indefinitely waive that process. What airlines are still flying empty airplanes around?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Who still is?

Airlines bid for slots. But to prevent an airline from just bidding for slots it's not going to use and using that to freeze out competitors, airlines are required to maintain a certain uptime on the slots they have or those slots go back into the pool to be bid on.

So when this all started, yes, airlines were flying empty planes so that they wouldn't lose their slots. But the appropriate regulatory agencies decided to indefinitely waive that process. What airlines are still flying empty airplanes around?

In the US the bailout requires them to continue service to all airports they previously serviced, so they can cut down on some flights but not all of them:

quote:

In creating their schedules for the next couple of months, some U.S airlines have reverted to decades-old strategies, adding circuitous routing, like so-called tag and circle flights, to satisfy conditions of the CARES Act, which requires airlines fly to nearly every airport they served before the Covid-19 crisis. If they don’t meet the standards defined by the U.S. Department of Transportation, or DOT, they will lose their share of $25 billion in grants.

Tags and circle routes typically are not passenger-friendly. Customers who book these flights will spend more time on an aircraft than they might have expected, and probably will fly way out of their way. The airline saves costs and uses fewer aircraft than normal.
For now, U.S. airlines are flying many of the most unusual routings to the smallest markets.

Many carriers didn’t want to continue flying to these airports, making formal requests to the DOT for waivers from CARES Act requirements. The DOT granted some exemptions, mainly to Hawaii and Puerto Rico — places where governments wanted to discourage tourism — but mostly told airlines to comply.

That left Spirit in the uncomfortable position of having to remain in smaller stations, including Asheville and Greensboro, North Carolina, and Plattsburgh and Niagara, New York.

Spirit knew it would lose money, no matter what it tried, so the airline decided to be creative, pairing nearby markets to create circle routes. One airplane will fly Orlando-Ashville-Greensboro-Orlando and another will go from Fort Lauderdale to Plattsburgh to Niagara, then back to Fort Lauderdale.

“Doing it this way allows us to keep our guests connected while also complying with the provisions of the CARES Act more efficiently,” Erik Hofmeyer, a Spirit spokesman, said in an email. “We look forward to adding more flight options when we come out on the other side of the pandemic.”

(https://skift.com/2020/04/27/why-are-airlines-adding-so-many-random-connecting-flights-blame-the-u-s-relief-package/)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Taffer posted:

In the scheme of things, air travel is a tiny small high hanging fruit but somehow it manages to take up most of the climate debate twitter feed. Automobiles are much bigger problem but we have some solutions but implementing them is challenge.

And airlines, at least in the United States are considered a utility. Planes are going to keep flying even with a few passengers but some flight routes will probably be cut down.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

In the US the bailout requires them to continue service to all airports they previously serviced, so they can cut down on some flights but not all of them:

That's not the same thing as flying empty planes. That's flying circular routes rather than point-to-point. It sucks for the pax because they're on the plane for a lot longer but there are pax.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I guess it beats driving, eh? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm getting confused. Is this supposed to be good or bad? Are we supposed to be unhappy that airlines are bad for the environment or are we supposed to be unhappy that airlines are currently not as convenient for passengers as they used to be?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 29, 2020