Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
i eat pasta every day but i'm a degenerate continental and most brits i know find that extremely excessive

i think it's idiot middle aged people who have no idea how to cook anything but are panicking and buying stuff that won't go out of date, like the lady who bought 12 cans of tomatoes, what the gently caress are you gonna do with them? i doubt you're making decent sauces, or shakshukas or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you told me I had to stay indoors indefinitely I'd buy mostly pasta and rice, being as they're basically long life bread.

You can put anything with them and they go with everything.

Mmm ham and pineapple carbonara

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Coohoolin posted:

i eat pasta every day but i'm a degenerate continental and most brits i know find that extremely excessive

i think it's idiot middle aged people who have no idea how to cook anything but are panicking and buying stuff that won't go out of date, like the lady who bought 12 cans of tomatoes, what the gently caress are you gonna do with them? i doubt you're making decent sauces, or shakshukas or whatever.

one of the only meals british people will know how to make is spaghetti bolognese
i'm pretty sure thats whats going on

e: also whats a shalashaska? is it good?

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 26, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

And yet the stir-throughs stay sat on the shelves, unloved & unwanted.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's gonna be so many hosed up fetishes coming out of this.

Pfft I didn't need a pandemic for that

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I had a massive stockpile of pasta built up long before the coronavirus, just because it's so drat useful as a vessel for sauces and salads, it's cheaper if you buy in bulk, and it never goes off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

Mmm ham and pineapple carbonara

My favourite carbonara is fish based.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

pumpinglemma posted:

I had a massive stockpile of pasta built up long before the coronavirus, just because it's so drat useful as a vessel for sauces and salads, it's cheaper if you buy in bulk, and it never goes off.

I hail our new Lord of the Wasteland.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's gonna be so many hosed up fetishes coming out of this.

Expecting to see an explosion (ha) in dogging and public stuff after this tbh

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ben & Holly is also god-tier.
Nanny Plum, redbeard the pirate, the aliens from planet bong, if you have no idea what I'm on about, you have missed out.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Coohoolin posted:

12 cans of tomatoes, what the gently caress are you gonna do with them?

Just off the top of my head Aubergine Parmigiana, Chilli, Curry, Goulash, Pasta with tomato sauce, Shakshouka. Lots more if you pick up a recipe book.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I buy tins of toms by the 12 normally, generally get through that in 2 weeks. If you are a family of four that will decrease dramatically. I know it is cool to hate on the boomers but 12 tins is in no way excessive.

Thanks for the kids TV recommends!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Immortan Joe stands astride the Citadel, flinging loo rolls down to the huddled masses.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm pretty annoyed as we usually do a monthly asda shop online that's mainly dried/tinned pulses... the usual poo poo that the normies turn their nose up. Make meals in bulk and freeze them.

Now that's impossible with everyone and their dog panic stockpiling. Got rationed to 3 tins of chopped tomatoes (would usually use double that in a single batch of chilli).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's a dish that has a nasty habit of double or even triple crossing you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the guy who gives you quests in link to the past.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

OzyMandrill posted:

Ben & Holly is also god-tier.
Nanny Plum, redbeard the pirate, the aliens from planet bong, if you have no idea what I'm on about, you have missed out.

Jelly flood!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

It's punk with trumpets, but from Sudan.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Do not, my friends, become addicted to pasta. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tinned whole tomatoes are the pro tier btw

don't even think of using chopped ones, or I'll know!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lot of big bumblebees around lately, and every single one of them wants inside

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
You need tinned tomatoes to make a bolognese the same way you need cream to make a carbonara

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

baka kaba posted:

tinned whole tomatoes are the pro tier btw

don't even think of using chopped ones, or I'll know!

What do you just tip them out and chop them yourself, like an animal?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Chopped tomatoes and Lidl's legally distinct Cheese Dorito analogue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Doridls.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

baka kaba posted:

Lot of big bumblebees around lately, and every single one of them wants inside

They're queens that have woken from hibernation, so they're possibly looking for good places to nest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

luv me sum tomato slurry

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Expecting to see an explosion (ha) in dogging and public stuff after this tbh

How many orgies have been called off over the last couple of weeks, and how many more in the future? Swingers are just gonna rent out Wembley (once they clean out the lasagna... or maybe not) to get it out of their system.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

one of the only meals british people will know how to make is spaghetti bolognese
i'm pretty sure thats whats going on

Shakshuka

Middle Eastern dish:

With eggs, tomato sauce etc.

yummy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

stev posted:

Like an animal? Please, I use my opposable thumbs to squash them with my hands like god intended

or you can use a stick blender or a masher or stab them with a wooden spoon in the pan, I think they have more flavour though :shobon:

Oh dear me posted:

They're queens that have woken from hibernation, so they're possibly looking for good places to nest.

Like me some bees but they're not doing that in here!
Also not that many flowers about yet

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

jam a pair of kitchen scissors in the open tin and go hog wild.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

(heh) You know the term "sharashka"? It's slang for a suspicious, hastily-thrown-together meal. The word became associated with a type of forced labor canteen in the Soviet Gulag system. OKB scientists and engineers who'd been convicted of crimes were sent to cook sharashkas on forced kitchen shifts. The sharashka cooks were supervised by Lavrenty Beria of the NKVD - the secret police - under the official name "4th Culinary Department". So anyway, at some point the chefs started calling this certain recipe "Sharashka." This was after the war in Afghanistan broke out. It ended up being pretty well-known among the Afghan guerrillas. Some of them would have eaten on the battlefield. And that's how it got the second half of the name. "Shashka" - it's a sword, a type of sabre from the Caucasus. Russian Dragoons and Cossacks carried them into battle. Now, the Russian Empire had a general by the name of Fyodor Arturovich Keller. His bravery earned him the nickname "Russia's Greatest Shashka." Someone must have known about that... Because somewhere along the line, shashka got stuck on the end of sharashka. The guerrillas were using the name amongst themselves, and by the time I got to cooking it, the pronunciation had wound up as "Shalashaska."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wales now leads Scotland 28-25 in the Corona Cup.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How many orgies have been called off over the last couple of weeks, and how many more in the future? Swingers are just gonna rent out Wembley (once they clean out the lasagna... or maybe not) to get it out of their system.

That's one big glass bowl they'll need for all the car keys.

Maybe they'll have to borrow the Dome of Merkine and invert it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

XMNN posted:

looks like someone's copying Modi

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1243078157995061249

on the one hand, I genuinely appreciate all the people out there doing stuff, on the other hand, what they actually need is ppe and tests and this sounds incredibly cringe

I'm still a little surprised I haven't seen any UK balcony singing videos, but I suspect that's some combination of us generally not having as many balconies, not having a proper lockdown, and not having much of a mass singing tradition beyond football and maybe Christmas carols?

It does happen, just last night my friend sent us a video of three lads on drums, guitar and trumpet jamming from their respective windows. Her partner plays bass but he was at work, but he'll try and get in on it next time

goddamnedtwisto posted:

None in LA and NY, at least
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2020/mar/11/hands-off-can-orgies-survive-in-the-age-of-coronavirus

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

That looks well nice. Are eggs getable again yet?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
My local SPAR is out of non-dairy milk (ok, “non-dairy drink”) but the fresh dairy milk shelves are full. I can only assume people are taking it because it’s all got best before dates as opposed to use by so you can keep it in a cupboard until you want to use it.

Not a huge issue for me because veganism is a choice etc etc, but I have a friend who is severely lactose intolerant and it seems a bit selfish that there are presumably now cupboards full of soya milk “for emergencies” and her and people like her have to eat their cornflakes with, I dunno, water?

I wouldn’t be pissed off about it at all if there was a shortage of dairy milk, but there isn’t!!

Edit: unless of course the oat milk supply line is the first to collapse, but I doubt it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Well I guess this explains why the big drop-off in deaths yesterday, they've changed the way they're being reported (apparantly they now need family consent to report an anonymised, aggregated deaths number *cough*bollocks*cough*):
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1243104190202818561

"If the numbers are going bad, just stop counting" is a tactic that really shouldn't work but always does because our press can't be arsed to chase anything up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe they'll have to borrow the Dome of Merkine and invert it.

I feel like the the dome of merkine probably already gets used for suspicious purposes already...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Someone more knowledgeable than me on inter-species disease transmission?

According to my mother, the accepted dogma (source according to her BBC) is that this global virus was caused by a Chinese guy eating a bat and it's all their fault because Chinese eat wild animals. And also, as stated by mother, it can't transmit from humans to pet dogs and cats.

Surely, if it can transmit from animal to human in the first place it can go from human to animal. (Or substitute 'mammal' for 'animal' if that helps).