Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ThomasPaine posted:

You need tinned tomatoes to make a bolognese the same way you need cream to make a carbonara

According to the Sacred Texts* they are a required ingrédient

* The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan

(I have no idea what this series is)

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Communist Thoughts posted:

one of the only meals british people will know how to make is spaghetti bolognese
i'm pretty sure thats whats going on

e: also whats a shalashaska? is it good?

it's a simmering pan of tomatoes and veg that you poach eggs in, it's delicious

this is a good recipe:
https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/shakshuka/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SpoonStrike/status/1242884338590658563

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The cat would have to eat the infected human.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone more knowledgeable than me on inter-species disease transmission?

According to my mother, the accepted dogma (source according to her BBC) is that this global virus was caused by a Chinese guy eating a bat and it's all their fault because Chinese eat wild animals. And also, as stated by mother, it can't transmit from humans to pet dogs and cats.

Surely, if it can transmit from animal to human in the first place it can go from human to animal. (Or substitute 'mammal' for 'animal' if that helps).

There are diseases which can infect multiple species but generally i think they tend to leap from livestock animals in massive battery farms to humans, and thus probably won't infect your cat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

oh but seriously I posted:

That looks well nice. Are eggs getable again yet?

Don't know I haven't been in a shop for 2 days. I got a dozen on Monday. But also I live in a town in the midst of a wide farming community so might be a bit different round here.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bats are not cats.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

According to my mother, the accepted dogma (source according to her BBC) is that this global virus was caused by a Chinese guy eating a bat and it's all their fault because Chinese eat wild animals. And also, as stated by mother, it can't transmit from humans to pet dogs and cats.

Surely, if it can transmit from animal to human in the first place it can go from human to animal. (Or substitute 'mammal' for 'animal' if that helps).

In the recent pandemic pretends documentary thing (or maybe that contagion movie?!? I can't remember) a bat dies of some disease in China and falls in a pig pen where a pig eats it. The pig is then slaughtered and people eat the infected meat and it goes from there. I'm not sure we know in real life yet do we?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Nah there are lots of viruses that merrily infect two completely unrelated species and nothing else, and the vast majority infect only one because inter-species transmission is reliant on very specific proteins on cells and positions of bits of DNA/RNA being the same between species, which is purely coincidental, or the virus just happening to have the right keys to unlock the cells of two unrelated species, which is even less likely. Things like rabies, which can infect just about any mammal, are very much the exception.

By an incredibly weird coincidence I'm listening to a podcast as I type this which says there is exactly one reported case of a dog being infected with it, but it's a 17-year-old Pomeranian and frankly I feel like a 17-year-old Pomeranian is more likely to have been actually crushed to death by a single virus particle than to have been infected with it.

e2a: Just to clarify, COVID and other stuff like Swine Flu doesn't actually infect the original species at all - instead what happens is you have a random mutation of an existing disease in the original species which allows it to infect another species *but prevents it from replicating in the host*. This happens constantly with viruses (which mutate constantly) and normally they just die off without ever infecting anyone. Get enough infected creatures together and they might between them produce enough viruses to infect a human, which is why they tend to start in species that are battery-farmed as you have both the critical mass of animals and close proximity to humans. IIRC Avian Flu *could* infect both birds and humans (as well as other primates) which was one of the reasons it was so dangerous.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 26, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
THIS ISNT EVEN THE STRANGEST PART!

https://mobile.twitter.com/learnincurve11/status/1243211795583709184

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

mrpwase posted:

(heh) You know the term "sharashka"? It's slang for a suspicious, hastily-thrown-together meal. The word became associated with a type of forced labor canteen in the Soviet Gulag system. OKB scientists and engineers who'd been convicted of crimes were sent to cook sharashkas on forced kitchen shifts. The sharashka cooks were supervised by Lavrenty Beria of the NKVD - the secret police - under the official name "4th Culinary Department". So anyway, at some point the chefs started calling this certain recipe "Sharashka." This was after the war in Afghanistan broke out. It ended up being pretty well-known among the Afghan guerrillas. Some of them would have eaten on the battlefield. And that's how it got the second half of the name. "Shashka" - it's a sword, a type of sabre from the Caucasus. Russian Dragoons and Cossacks carried them into battle. Now, the Russian Empire had a general by the name of Fyodor Arturovich Keller. His bravery earned him the nickname "Russia's Greatest Shashka." Someone must have known about that... Because somewhere along the line, shashka got stuck on the end of sharashka. The guerrillas were using the name amongst themselves, and by the time I got to cooking it, the pronunciation had wound up as "Shalashaska."

:golfclap:

It's freakin awesome when a goon on some forrin forum gives an etymological lesson gratis for a word that as a kid you heard your parents utter (Sharashkina Kontora) and you wondered who/what the heck is Sharash.

bornbytheriver fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 26, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Twirlywoos is also good, and for more educational programmes try Alphablocks and Numberblocks. Anything with Justin in should be avoided at all costs though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bornbytheriver posted:

:golfclap:

It's freakin awesome when a goon on some forrin forum gives an etymological lesson gratis for a word that as a kid you heard your parents utter (Sharashkina Kontrora) and you wondered who/what the heck is Sharash.

(it's a take off from the speech revolver ocelot gives in metal gear solid V)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

that fish got tiddies

https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1243143276133261316

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lungboy posted:

Twirlywoos is also good, and for more educational programmes try Alphablocks and Numberblocks. Anything with Justin in should be avoided at all costs though.

I have no idea what you are raking about If this is Justin from Something special then I will end you in parent or special need’s child. The man is an Saint and an National Treasure.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TedJeory/status/1243205994081128455

We still have nothing to put in it, but the door's there. Something something Tories.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:moments:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We still have nothing to put in it, but the door's there. Something something Tories.

The fact that it's called the Abu Dhabi NEC sure is... something.

Also wasn't the Birmingham NEC the NEC first? Can you have two National Exhibition Centres? I mean evidently you can but

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

NHS NHS NHS

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The world is enfolded in crisis, yet Barber, presumably in a drunken stupor, somehow manages to have a go at Corbyn again.

https://twitter.com/francesbarber13/status/1242966941075230721?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

keep punching joe posted:

I'm pretty annoyed as we usually do a monthly asda shop online that's mainly dried/tinned pulses... the usual poo poo that the normies turn their nose up. Make meals in bulk and freeze them.

Now that's impossible with everyone and their dog panic stockpiling. Got rationed to 3 tins of chopped tomatoes (would usually use double that in a single batch of chilli).

use less tomatoes and more beer in your chilli

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Good of Boris to confess to ideological mass murder. It will save time at his trial.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's 100% using this as a reason to get no deal over with

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

eating bats isn't limited to china

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2012/08/07/158221181/on-the-road-in-florida-hard-times-politics-and-smoked-bat

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

oh but seriously I posted:

That looks well nice. Are eggs getable again yet?

I got eggs at my London High St Sainsburys this lunchtime, 6 packs only tho.

The frozen vegetarian section was a wasteland, literally just 3 bags of Quorn sausages (now mine) plus some own brand soya burgers. I'd feel guilty for nabbing them but I'm mostly living off lentils and Holland and Barret dried soya so I at least want an occasional food with a... shape?

No bog roll either. White people dried/tinned pulses were low but the KTC stuff was well in. Bread was OK, fresh veg was OK.

I need to go back in time to when my dad bought his first modem and tell early-teen me about all the exciting and subversive information they'll be disseminating over the internet in ~30 years time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm going for my first Lockdown Shopping tomorrow. Anything I should watch out for?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just say to her it's a zoonotic disease like ebola or rabies or bird flu or swine flu or lyme disease or lycanthropy.

I doubt its from eating a bat as I'm not sure how they could track it to a single bat that was already eaten. People all around the world eat wild fish, animals etc. and that's more or less fine, whilst in this country we've had mad cow and foot and mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QobuvWX_Grc

I always think of this when I think about mad cow disease. Maybe Boris will push his dad into a wetherspoons and seal the containment chamber.

e: If you're struggling for chopped tomatoes just buy regular tomatoes and freeze them, the skin comes off when back at room temp

justcola fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 26, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sassassin posted:

Bats are not cats.
They rhyme though. Have we ruled that out as a vector?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
We're going shopping today because tomorrow is payday and things might be emptier.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Coronavirus rhymes with Miley Cyrus and tonnes of celebs are infected. Coincidence I THINK NOT

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

the government fudging the death numbers is depressing. For a little bit I had hope for a bit we weren't gonna have so many deaths.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

duckmaster posted:

My local SPAR is out of non-dairy milk (ok, “non-dairy drink”) but the fresh dairy milk shelves are full. I can only assume people are taking it because it’s all got best before dates as opposed to use by so you can keep it in a cupboard until you want to use it.

Not a huge issue for me because veganism is a choice etc etc, but I have a friend who is severely lactose intolerant and it seems a bit selfish that there are presumably now cupboards full of soya milk “for emergencies” and her and people like her have to eat their cornflakes with, I dunno, water?

I wouldn’t be pissed off about it at all if there was a shortage of dairy milk, but there isn’t!!

Edit: unless of course the oat milk supply line is the first to collapse, but I doubt it

Is your friend still able to find oats? The recipe for oat milk is as follows:

1. Blend oats with water in 1:4 ratio.
2. Strain through cloth.
3. Oat milk.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The world is enfolded in crisis, yet Barber, presumably in a drunken stupor, somehow manages to have a go at Corbyn again.

https://twitter.com/francesbarber13/status/1242966941075230721?s=20

Frances Barber will have her revenge on Seattle.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The UKs biggest morgue.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

duckmaster posted:

My local SPAR is out of non-dairy milk (ok, “non-dairy drink”) but the fresh dairy milk shelves are full. I can only assume people are taking it because it’s all got best before dates as opposed to use by so you can keep it in a cupboard until you want to use it.

Not a huge issue for me because veganism is a choice etc etc, but I have a friend who is severely lactose intolerant and it seems a bit selfish that there are presumably now cupboards full of soya milk “for emergencies” and her and people like her have to eat their cornflakes with, I dunno, water?

I wouldn’t be pissed off about it at all if there was a shortage of dairy milk, but there isn’t!!

Edit: unless of course the oat milk supply line is the first to collapse, but I doubt it

Weirdly in the Sainsbury near me, the non-dairy milks and UHT that sit on the normal unchilled aisle were all gone, but the non-dairy milks in the chillers near the dairy milk were fully stocked.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

our scientists have been researching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEfZNCMXhSQ&t=40s

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

duckmaster posted:

It's a low demand, low rotation product that suddenly has had its customer base buy 3-4 weeks worth, it's already being restocked near me.

Dairy milk is replenished daily, soy milk will be on the weekly order or whatever Spar do. Hold out if you can or go to Lidl/Aldi, they'll have some...

Or drain oats as above.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

keep punching joe posted:

The UKs biggest morgue.

You may joke but that is literally what the back half of the hall is being designed to be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Weirdly in the Sainsbury near me, the non-dairy milks and UHT that sit on the normal unchilled aisle were all gone, but the non-dairy milks in the chillers near the dairy milk were fully stocked.

That's probably because the dairy dropped the milk off recently while the UHT comes with the shelf stable pallets on the big lorry. And also they sell a lot less of it normally.

Milk comes from the dairy in an arla truck, bread comes from the bakery in a bakery truck, everything else comes from the sainsbury's depot, in a sainsbury's truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Algol Star posted:

I look forward to the reporting once the trials in China start coming back with preliminary results.

The Center for Evidence Based Medicine presumably understands the distinction between ‘no evidence’ (his fingerprints weren’t on the knife) and ‘no evidence’ (we haven’t run a fingerprint test yet). And there is also that whole ‘first do no harm’ thing.

Consequently, they are not recommending treating COVID with ibuprofen or paracetamol:

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/managing-fever-in-adults-with-possible-or-confirmed-covid-19-in-primary-care/

Maybe once the trials do come in people can start taking them again.