Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Went out into contact with the public for the first time in awhile today, it was pretty orderly at waitrose with a one in, one out system and everyone was pretty good about keeping some distance- but it was half empty on the shelves and much of what was left was bullshit. Picked up a box of food from my daughter's school and it was mainly bananas but some spuds and eggs (free range even) which was nice as I couldn't get them elsewhere.

Managed an asda delivery slot soon and I'm picking up a few home repair and farm bits from b&q- they are working on a click and collect only basis with much reduced options but some lumber is definitely better than no lumber

After that, I'm gonna hide away and hope that I'm wrong about what the next few weeks holds. Home schooling the kids is a nice distraction at least. loving may you live in interesting times needs a punt in the peculiars imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ratjaculation posted:

Hmmm, I went self-employed last year so haven't reported any earnings. Am I :owned:

(yes)

Yeah what happens if you haven't got three years of earnings to average out over? Or any?

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Goldskull posted:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-gives-support-to-millions-of-self-employed-individuals

Those who pay themselves a salary and dividends through their own company are not covered by the scheme but will be covered for their salary by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme if they are operating PAYE schemes.

Oh great I'm hosed. What in the gently caress do they think self-employed means?

"We're all in this together"

I pay myself a salary but not taken any dividends as hah profit in a new catering business is not a thing, so i get 80% of the wages im paid that are from PAYE?
gently caress

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

12 week old babby has picked this period of indoor confinement to begin teething :shepicide:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

We're going shopping today because tomorrow is payday and things might be emptier.

You realise there's not a single national payday right. My wife got paid today. I get paid on the 31st.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

deano posted:

I pay myself a salary but not taken any dividends as hah profit in a new catering business is not a thing, so i get 80% of the wages im paid that are from PAYE?
gently caress

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1243244330506223616

Oh good, 80% of the ~£670 I pay myself a month is certainly gonna pay the rent & food.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

feedmegin posted:

You realise there's not a single national payday right. My wife got paid today. I get paid on the 31st.

In our city at least, everyone seems to get paid on the same day. Dunno.

Anyway, I think we're now officially worse off than the yanks.

https://www.facebook.com/228859290856193/posts/822185884856861/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CancerCakes posted:

I buy tins of toms by the 12 normally, generally get through that in 2 weeks. If you are a family of four that will decrease dramatically. I know it is cool to hate on the boomers but 12 tins is in no way excessive.

Thanks for the kids TV recommends!

In normal times I'll literally buy like 3 entire flats of canned whole tomatoes from Costco. poo poo goes in EVERYTHING :chef:

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

radmonger posted:

You must be getting something very different from the rest of that article if you think it contradicts the verdict. Can you explain your reasoning?

I would summarize ‘the article as ‘in related diseases, it probably makes things slightly worse, by one or more of several speculative mechanisms. Some of which can be demonstrated in the lab, but who knows whether that applies in humans. However, no one has had time to do a specific rigorous trial yet’.

Are you really saying that, as a medical professional, you would read that, and take it as support for advising someone with mild Coronavirus-like symptoms to self-medicate with Nurofen or Paracetomol?

It says nothing of the sort. It says fever itself has not been shown to be harmful apart from possibly in the elderly and routine use of antipyretics to suppress fever is not supported - i.e it is a symptomatic treatment and you do not need to prescribe paracetamol or ibuprofen automatically because someone is febrile. This is completely uncontroversial and has been understood for decades. At no point does it say doing so will cause harm or worsen outcomes.

It also says: "Disclaimer: the article has not been peer-reviewed; it should not replace individual clinical judgement and the sources cited should be checked. The views expressed in this commentary represent the views of the authors and not necessarily those of the host institution, the NHS, the NIHR, or the Department of Health and Social Care. The views are not a substitute for professional medical advice."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

feedmegin posted:

In normal times I'll literally buy like 3 entire flats of canned whole tomatoes from Costco. poo poo goes in EVERYTHING :chef:

Yeah, a can of tinned tomatoes is the bestest, quickest sauce base for a zillion different meals.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
hmm, either 'can' or 'tinned' was superfluous there; I really must review more thoroughly before posting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically yes, but "tinned tomatoes" describes a particular kind of tomato whereas "a can of" describes an amount. So while you don't necessarily need both you are using them in different roles in the sentence.

You could just say "a can/tin of tomatoes" but it reads clearer the way you wrote it, IMO.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

e: also been announced 100 people died in a day

So is this the new figure that doesn't include those whose families haven't been notified?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

They've turned the rugby ground near me into a testing centre for the NHS staff and my mums beginning to panic a bit so I've been trying to calm her down. Have I got it right that you're less likely to catch the virus as long as you don't have an infected person breath/cough on you and you don't touch a surface infected with the virus and then touch your face?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bessantj posted:

They've turned the rugby ground near me into a testing centre for the NHS staff and my mums beginning to panic a bit so I've been trying to calm her down. Have I got it right that you're less likely to catch the virus as long as you don't have an infected person breath/cough on you and you don't touch a surface infected with the virus and then touch your face?

It's incredibly unlikely you'll get it otherwise but you can never know if a person is infected (and should assume everyone is including yourself) or surface has been touched.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Technically yes, but "tinned tomatoes" describes a particular kind of tomato whereas "a can of" describes an amount. So while you don't necessarily need both you are using them in different roles in the sentence.

You could just say "a can/tin of tomatoes" but it reads clearer the way you wrote it, IMO.
What about a tin of canned tomatoes?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Necrothatcher posted:

So is this the new figure that doesn't include those whose families haven't been notified?

It'll include people that were missing from the previous day's low tally, though so it all evens out in the end.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Coohoolin posted:

This isn't a thing. Folk will get paid at different times depending on their company etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

What about a tin of canned tomatoes?

Yeah it works either way, the words are synonyms but they're used in different roles, which is why you do it instinctively.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Chas McGill posted:

This isn't a thing. Folk will get paid at different times depending on their company etc.

A lot of rail companies get paid on a 4-weekly cycle so date moves forward every month and then one month in the year you get two pay days.
Agency workers usually get paid weekly.
Some companies I have worked for pay mid month (half a month in arrears and half a month in advance).

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Starting to get annoyed at the lack of yeast in the supermarkets, are people really suddenly baking their own bread en mass?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Algol Star posted:

Starting to get annoyed at the lack of yeast in the supermarkets, are people really suddenly baking their own bread en mass?

Saga bona

kunjani wena

:drum:

Try corner shops, ethnic shops and minimarts imo. It's the supermarkets that have been targeted most for silly shopping, seems

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're probably not but they probably thought they were going to.

You could try doing sourdough if you can't get yeast.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sassassin posted:

It's incredibly unlikely you'll get it otherwise but you can never know if a person is infected (and should assume everyone is including yourself) or surface has been touched.

She's staying in but thinks that if people who may have it walk past the house then she'll be at high risk and I just wanted to assure her she's over reacting.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NHS pays on the 24th.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

kecske posted:

12 week old babby has picked this period of indoor confinement to begin teething :shepicide:

My 4 month old has done exactly the same!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

bessantj posted:

She's staying in but thinks that if people who may have it walk past the house then she'll be at high risk and I just wanted to assure her she's over reacting.

Yeah no she'll be fine, it's not airborne

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I do like celebrities who self-denigrate in a nice way:

https://twitter.com/JamesBlunt/status/1242751811594878976?s=20

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

They're probably not but they probably thought they were going to.

You could try doing sourdough if you can't get yeast.

Doesn't that take ages if you don't have the starter? Got a Chinese supermarket nearby I'll try there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or Wilko's if all the homebrew stuff hasn't been ransacked by now.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Goldskull posted:

It's about as clear as mud what they're talking about to give you 80% of. I'm a 1 man Ltd company that contracts to design firms as an Artworker, I pay myself as an employee £8k a year so I'm under the allowable tax bracket, rest of my money is dividends.

Then there'll be caveats on 'savings' or partners earnings. I have just about enough to run through til June depending on whether I can get the letting agent to defer rent for a month or two, otherwise we're knackered. And no-one knows when work/offices will pick back up again, IR35 killed the freelance trade in the last 2 months despite it now being postponed.

imagine the amount of sympathy I have for someone participating in tax evasion

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

imagine the amount of sympathy I have for someone participating in tax evasion

Someone who rents their home and has maybe a couple of months worth of savings to live off? Some? But no it's probably more important to get in a snippy comment.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah no she'll be fine, it's not airborne

Thanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Algol Star posted:

Doesn't that take ages if you don't have the starter? Got a Chinese supermarket nearby I'll try there.

Yeah you leave it for like, 24 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J1PNDnqsfA

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I do like celebrities who self-denigrate in a nice way:

https://twitter.com/JamesBlunt/status/1242751811594878976?s=20

He was also extremely proud of having set the speed record for entering Cockney rhyming slang (since broken by Jeremy Hunt). I wouldn't listen to James Blunt's music, but I do like him.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Coohoolin posted:

Anyway, I think we're now officially worse off than the yanks.

https://www.facebook.com/228859290856193/posts/822185884856861/

BuT bErNiE cAn'T gEt AnYtHiNg DoNe :downs:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

He was also extremely proud of having set the speed record for entering Cockney rhyming slang (since broken by Jeremy Hunt). I wouldn't listen to James Blunt's music, but I do like him.

he's as good at Twitter as he is bad at music

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

I’m going to answer the burning question here (for more information see my marmalade tutorial on twitter). Americans call putting things in tins and jars “canning”. However there is a distinction; jams and pickles in jars are just regular canning, where as putting things in tin cans is done by “pressure canning” and requires some sort of industrial scientific lab li in your garage.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Goldskull posted:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-gives-support-to-millions-of-self-employed-individuals

Those who pay themselves a salary and dividends through their own company are not covered by the scheme but will be covered for their salary by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme if they are operating PAYE schemes.

Oh great I'm hosed. What in the gently caress do they think self-employed means?

"We're all in this together"

Surely if you don't pay yourself through salary or dividend you are paying yourself through embezzlement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I’m going to answer the burning question here (for more information see my marmalade tutorial on twitter). Americans call putting things in tins and jars “canning”. However there is a distinction; jams and pickles in jars are just regular canning, where as putting things in tin cans is done by “pressure canning” and requires some sort of industrial scientific lab li in your garage.

I guess that makes sense if they do the boiling thing, cos I think you can do that with stuff that doesn't involve actually pickling it, and absenting that there's not really a word, and "jarring" sounds weird and is already taken.