Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hopes Fall posted:

I've only made bread successfully once before. The top cane out very flat, but that taste was good, and the crumb a little dense.

There's some pretty typical commentary on that:
https://thebreadguide.com/why-does-my-bread-collapse-or-flatten/

I always assume overproofing, but I forget other people are afraid of wearing themselves or their equipment out so I am not good at guessing at underkneading. I also couldn't tell from a picture. However, dense crumb is definitely a thing from overproofed dough. That site also talks about mishandling high-hydration dough, which is only a problem if you're a freak making ciabatta and baguettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Stringent posted:

Unfortunately mine end up looking like this:

I don't think I'm allowed to talk about other people's biscuits, but I still want to speculate that it looks... wet? Was it raw? Also, was that done at a really high temperature? That's a big contrast between white/brown.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
I'm starting to regret not buying that 30kg bag of flour, it's the only flour I've seen in weeks and now it's sold out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Stringent posted:

This is the what a correctly made biscuit looks like:

Ugh, lots of biscuits are great that don't look like that.

Typically, biscuits come in three types: drop, flaky, pillowy. All of them are valid in god's eyes.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't think I'm allowed to talk about other people's biscuits, but I still want to speculate that it looks... wet? Was it raw? Also, was that done at a really high temperature? That's a big contrast between white/brown.

These look like how drop biscuits cook, to me, which makes me wonder if there was a lot of dairy in them. Honestly, who cares, though, if they taste good? They look like they rose. Cut them apart, split them open, and slather with butter, jam, and/or gravy.

I go back and forth and cook all kinds regularly. The last time I biscuited, I went for layers:

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 26, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nah, the insides are quite pleasant, but yeah it was cooked quite hot. I seem to get a better lift and fluffier insides cooking hot so I kept pushing it, but that batch I just pushed a little too far.

This is what the insides look like:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

Ugh, lots of biscuits are great that don't look like that.

Typically, biscuits come in three types: drop, flaky, pillowy. All of them are valid in god's eyes.

These look like how drop biscuits cook, to me, which makes me wonder if there was a lot of dairy in them. Honestly, who cares, though, if they taste good? They look like they rose. Cut them apart, split them open, and slather with butter, jam, and/or gravy.

I go back and forth and cook all kinds regularly. The last time I biscuited, I went for layers:

They may be valid in God's eyes, but not mine. :colbert:

And yeah, lots of dairy, it's a super wet dough, really hard to handle. If anyone's interested this is the recipe:
300g flour
70g butter
8g baking powder
227g milk
10g lemon juice
10g sugar
6g salt

Swap the lemon juice and milk for buttermilk if you can get it, of course.

*edit* I feel like since I posted the recipe I have to post a photo of not the ugliest batch I've made.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 26, 2020

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Piss Meridian posted:

I'm starting to regret not buying that 30kg bag of flour, it's the only flour I've seen in weeks and now it's sold out

Same here in Brooklyn. Gotta venture further to find it which flies in the face of what I'm supposed to do...

In other news I don't think I'm doing my starter correctly now. I've been reading/watching other tutorials and they say to discard most of the starter - which I haven't been doing. I'm on day 6 of adding 3 tbs of flour / 2 tbs of water and I see less activity now. There are bubbles on the top but that's about it.

Should I discard most of it and feed it with larger quantities? Or start over with something like this: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe ?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

They may be valid in God's eyes, but not mine. :colbert:

I really hate food gatekeepers. Does the biscuit taste good? It counts. Don’t be a douche. “Authenticity” is the worst part of food culture by far.

That said, that’s just a pretty normal biscuit recipe. A cup of dairy isn’t a lot. Also, I’m curious as to the point of the lemon juice...if you were adding baking soda, I could understand. Otherwise, there doesn’t seem to be a reason to fake the buttermilk. Only half a stick of butter, though...I tend to make biscuits with almost twice that amount.

Anyway I always bake biscuits hot. 425 is probably the lowest I’d go.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Same here in Brooklyn. Gotta venture further to find it which flies in the face of what I'm supposed to do...

In other news I don't think I'm doing my starter correctly now. I've been reading/watching other tutorials and they say to discard most of the starter - which I haven't been doing. I'm on day 6 of adding 3 tbs of flour / 2 tbs of water and I see less activity now. There are bubbles on the top but that's about it.

Should I discard most of it and feed it with larger quantities? Or start over with something like this: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe ?

You should get a scale. But yeah, you get rid of most with a healthy starter. At least half building a new one. When I feed I keep 10g of starter and add 50g flour and 50g water

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's some pretty typical commentary on that:
https://thebreadguide.com/why-does-my-bread-collapse-or-flatten/

I always assume overproofing, but I forget other people are afraid of wearing themselves or their equipment out so I am not good at guessing at underkneading.

Thanks for the link! From what I saw, it's almost definitely overproofing. I'm trying to find a sweet spot for preheating my oven to slightly warmer than room temp, for proofing purposes, and I was definitely a bit impatient.

My house is pretty cold, rarely warmer than 65f this time of year, so I'm experimenting with preheating the oven to 170, then shutting it off for a bit beforehand. I think it was still too warm on the second rise.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

There are a few reasons to throw away a bunch of starter. Over time, proteolytics and amylases will turn it into goo, microbial buildup means you’ll have increasingly larger populations competing for the same food, alcohol and waste production can stunt other growth, and you can select for a population of fast-rising yeasts. None of these are really required or problematic, just sort of tangential issues that are worth keeping in mind.

When it comes to bread baking, you don’t really need a scale as you can pretty easily eyeball it, but a scale will make your efforts more repeatable. You don’t necessarily have to work with larger amounts, but they do provide you a buffer. Something to keep in mind - you can pour/spoon out anything you’d toss (as long as it doesn’t smell bad) and freeze it for use in batters and doughs, especially anywhere you’d use a biga/poolish/pâte fementée.

Hopes Fall posted:

Thanks for the link! From what I saw, it's almost definitely overproofing. I'm trying to find a sweet spot for preheating my oven to slightly warmer than room temp, for proofing purposes, and I was definitely a bit impatient.

My house is pretty cold, rarely warmer than 65f this time of year, so I'm experimenting with preheating the oven to 170, then shutting it off for a bit beforehand. I think it was still too warm on the second rise.

Unless you’re in a big hurry, you don’t need to warm anything for proofing at all. It’ll even do it in the fridge. It’ll be a little slower, but longer ferments almost always result in better bread. Also, if you’re ever worried about overproofing in the future, just knock it down and let it rise again for less time.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 26, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Doh004 posted:

I'm on like day 10 of following this recipe and while the proto-starter isn't smelling bad (it's yeasty/vinegary) it's also not doubling in size or being very active. It gets a bit bubbly, that's it. Won't rise much more than a cm. I'm wondering if the yeast just isn't getting a foothold because the temp is too low and I discard and feed every 12 hours, so I branched out; I got one on the kitchen counter than I'm gonna hydrate a little less, stir and have a loose unsealed lid on and the recipe one in the bathroom at like 21-23 centigrade which I'm gonna feed 1:1:1 by weight, keep sealed (as per beer brewing standard) and not touch.

We'll see how it goes. I really really want to try baking a no-knead sourdough bread with my very own yeast.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Anyone ever have Tuscan bread?

In the bread bakers apprentice theres a recipe for Tuscan bread. Its saltless and you make a paste with flour and hot water then let it sit overnight before putting everything together and bake it. Sounds kinda interesting / I have hella free time so..

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

Unless you’re in a big hurry, you don’t need to warm anything for proofing at all. It’ll even do it in the fridge. It’ll be a little slower, but longer ferments almost always result in better bread. Also, if you’re ever worried about overproofing in the future, just knock it down and let it rise again for less time.

Every single time I've tried a cold ferment it has failed. 0 lift and rock hard consistency, even on poo poo like pizza dough and overnight waffles. For whatever reason, the oven proof is the thing I've been halfway successful with, aside from the occasions that counter-proofing has worked because it was A. Uncomfortably warm in the house, or B. I was cooking/boiling water/creating lots of ambient heat at the same time anyway.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

I really hate food gatekeepers. Does the biscuit taste good? It counts. Don’t be a douche. “Authenticity” is the worst part of food culture by far.

Agreed, I hate it when people try to dictate what my personal preferences should be.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Tom Smykowski posted:

Anyone ever have Tuscan bread?

In the bread bakers apprentice theres a recipe for Tuscan bread. Its saltless and you make a paste with flour and hot water then let it sit overnight before putting everything together and bake it. Sounds kinda interesting / I have hella free time so..

A bakery I used to work at made a version of that bread. We just used a biga for it and baked it as huge 2 kg boules. It's good for soaking up soups and sauces. We'd use leftovers cut up for panzanella salad.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Stringent posted:

Agreed, I hate it when people try to dictate what my personal preferences should be.
Gatekeeping stringy smh

Thumposaurus posted:

A bakery I used to work at made a version of that bread. We just used a biga for it and baked it as huge 2 kg boules. It's good for soaking up soups and sauces. We'd use leftovers cut up for panzanella salad.
Gonna make some soup too and try this then

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

Every single time I've tried a cold ferment it has failed. 0 lift and rock hard consistency, even on poo poo like pizza dough and overnight waffles. For whatever reason, the oven proof is the thing I've been halfway successful with, aside from the occasions that counter-proofing has worked because it was A. Uncomfortably warm in the house, or B. I was cooking/boiling water/creating lots of ambient heat at the same time anyway.

You might consider adding a pinch of bakers yeast, then. It’ll still be sourdough.

Stringent posted:

I get you’re trying to be snarky with regards to my post, but I never suggested you weren’t making “proper” breads.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You should get a scale. But yeah, you get rid of most with a healthy starter. At least half building a new one. When I feed I keep 10g of starter and add 50g flour and 50g water

Scale is arriving today! Took a week a half on Amazon but it also isn't essential to keeping people alive, so I'm fine with being patient! I'll discard half of this guy and see how it does today.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm on like day 10 of following this recipe and while the proto-starter isn't smelling bad (it's yeasty/vinegary) it's also not doubling in size or being very active. It gets a bit bubbly, that's it. Won't rise much more than a cm. I'm wondering if the yeast just isn't getting a foothold because the temp is too low and I discard and feed every 12 hours, so I branched out; I got one on the kitchen counter than I'm gonna hydrate a little less, stir and have a loose unsealed lid on and the recipe one in the bathroom at like 21-23 centigrade which I'm gonna feed 1:1:1 by weight, keep sealed (as per beer brewing standard) and not touch.

We'll see how it goes. I really really want to try baking a no-knead sourdough bread with my very own yeast.

Yeah I figured the still cooler early sprint weather wasn't helping a ton. Hope it works out :ohdear:

*edit* Trip report from the Wegmans in Brooklyn: completely sold out of all flour and yeasts :saddowns:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 26, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've made all kinds of "real" biscuits (and like all kinds), but the one I recommend most often is this extremely basic, unhealthy one. https://www.instrupix.com/butter-swim-biscuits/

I halve it and make it in a loaf pan. You can also include herbs, spices, cheese, etc. The amount of butter gets it closer in texture to Red Lobster biscuits.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Doh004 posted:

It has not done that yet. So stay the course and keep adding the 3tbs flour/2tbs water daily?

It took me about 10 days to get a starter that was actually rising and falling regularly. Feed it 2x a day if you can until then, and rye flour is the best for starting your starter if you have it.

My starter has been going for about a year now, and when it is on the counter I feed it 1 to 2 times a day, in these amounts:

100g water
50g whole wheat flour
50g AP flour
50g previous day's starter

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 26, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Anne Whateley posted:

I've made all kinds of "real" biscuits (and like all kinds), but the one I recommend most often is this extremely basic, unhealthy one. https://www.instrupix.com/butter-swim-biscuits/

I halve it and make it in a loaf pan. You can also include herbs, spices, cheese, etc. The amount of butter gets it closer in texture to Red Lobster biscuits.

Lol, that looks fun I'll have to give it a shot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

No more unhealthy than any other good biscuit, imo. It’s basically drop biscuits. Bet they’re delicious.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tom Smykowski posted:

Gatekeeping stringy smh

My passions got the best of me and I forgot the impartially required of me as the Arbiter of Biscuits. I'll try to do better going forward.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ishamael posted:

It took me about 10 days to get a starter that was actually rising and falling regularly. Feed it 2x a day if you can until then, and rye flour is the best for starting your starter if you have it.

My starter has been going for about a year now, and when it is on the counter I feed it 1 to 2 times a day, in these amounts:

100g water
50g whole wheat flour
50g AP flour
50g previous day's starter

I don't have any Rye or Whole Wheat as they seem to be sold out entirely near me. That said, I just placed an order with the Walmart gods for some Rye so we shall see if it actually gets delivered...

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Biscuits chat. I read this article the other day.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/11/better-biscuits-south-thanksgiving/576526/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doh004 posted:

I don't have any Rye or Whole Wheat as they seem to be sold out entirely near me. That said, I just placed an order with the Walmart gods for some Rye so we shall see if it actually gets delivered...

Man this has been frustrating, I can’t even get in the berries to mill

I am pretty skeptical; I use canadian flour which is even harder, and still make good biscuits. White lily does make a good biscuit tho. Also if you were that hard up, pastry flour and cornstarch exists everywhere to mix in

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 26, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

As much as I hate anyone who the Atlantic would publish, I agree that White Lily is primo biscuit flour. I always pick up a bag when I'm back in the US.

*edit*
poo poo I just realized I'm gatekeeping editorial magazines. Buy an Atlantic subscription by all means if you're so inclined, that was just my personal opinion.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 26, 2020

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Doh004 posted:

Good luck! You can make it out of AP flour too, but rye gets going faster.

Once it is established, mine looks like this after doubling:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Piss Meridian posted:

Search for local, hipster flour mills near you and you might be surprised. If you're posting in this thread then you're definitely the type to enjoy playing around with that.

An example: https://bartonspringsmill.com/collections/all-grains/products/rouge-de-bordeax-wheat?variant=16611412607066

These operations might be waiving shipping near where they are too.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

You might consider adding a pinch of bakers yeast, then. It’ll still be sourdough.

That's with yeast. I haven't attempted sourdough yet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

That's with yeast. I haven't attempted sourdough yet.

Oh, my bad, sorry. That’s very strange, then. What kind of ratios are you using? I find it very strange that you can’t get it to rise at all unless it’s in a warm spot. When I use standard yeast, it even rises okay in the fridge.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hi goons with spoons! I love to cook, there’s something about standing in my kitchen drinking good beer while everything smells good and turns into food. I’ve been wanting to get my foot into baking and the current weird state of the world is giving me tons of time to get started.

I’ve made two attempts so far. As you can see, I didn’t learn about slicing to control expansion until after these. Another interesting tidbit is that it’s a crapshoot what ingredients I can find in the local store. For instance, the only flours I can find are all purpose and whole wheat.

Whole wheat

First time ever trying baking so I’m going to say it came out fine. I used King Arthur whole wheat flour, yeast, an egg, canola oil, a little 2% milk, sugar and salt. Working the dough was sticky and almost frustrating, I’m assuming due to the liquid content. After some practice and a light touch, I was able to knead it while keeping my hands and board lightly dusted. Eventually it smoothed up and I could handle it without it trying to eat my hand. I did shape it for the pan poorly as it came out a little heavier on one end. Oops.

It came out of the oven smelling a little... bitter? Sour? Not a strong or bad smell but as it cooled it started to smell great. I assume that’s normal as it finishes cooking the inner bits and expels moisture? I made a thick beef stew and cut the loaf into large slices for dipping. It went together well, good for mopping.

Not whole wheat bread. I don’t know, regular? White?

I don’t know what to call this because I can’t find white bread (or any kind of bread) flour so I used all purpose. This time I used half a cup of milk mixed with warm water and a few tablespoons of softened butter instead of oil. The dough was much easier to work with and shape, especially using what I had learned previously. It even came out kind of symmetrical.

I do let these cool on a rack by the way, I don’t take the pictures until slicing time. This bread, once cut, tasted so good. Soft and warm in the middle, flaky on the outside. I was really happy with myself and, having a few great beers in my stomach, decided to make a sandwich with roast beef, a little ham and some pepper jack.

Let me tell you about this sandwich. I loved this sandwich.

Anyways that’s where I am now and I would love to talk about bread with you guys.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Those look awesome! You don't always have to slice, I mean, both of those look completely fine tbh.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Search for local, hipster flour mills near you and you might be surprised. If you're posting in this thread then you're definitely the type to enjoy playing around with that.

An example: https://bartonspringsmill.com/collections/all-grains/products/rouge-de-bordeax-wheat?variant=16611412607066

These operations might be waiving shipping near where they are too.

I'm by no means local to these people, but I just threw an order at them for some Whole Wheat Flour (and some more Rye because why not). Hope it works!

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

Oh, my bad, sorry. That’s very strange, then. What kind of ratios are you using? I find it very strange that you can’t get it to rise at all unless it’s in a warm spot. When I use standard yeast, it even rises okay in the fridge.

Well, my last loaf was the King Arthur Sandwich bread recipe, with AP flour and melted butter.

I think I have a bread curse.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hopes Fall posted:

Is your yeast old/are you adding water too warm and killing off most of it?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hopes Fall posted:

Since Flash Gordon Ramsay brought this up, I thought about that a little too. Have you proofed the yeast to see how it's doing? How much salt are you adding as a percentage of the weight of the flour? How is the yeast introduced to the salt? Are you using tap or filtered water? I don't think you should have to resort to such heat to kick your yeast in the rear end.

I've had my pizza dough rebel in the fridge when I was trying to slow it down. It gave no shits about that fridge. A normal thing for me would be:
160g type 00 flour per pizza I want to make
55% hydration so 88g (or ml) tap water. 65% hydration if I'm using TAM-105 type 00.
1% salt so, like, 1.6g salt. I think the pizza thread was talking about something like 3% salt and I just can't do it. It's just too much.
1% dried baking yeast (1.6g)

Yeast is briefly hydrated in water but I don't have proofing concerns. salt is tossed into flour in mixing bowl and stirred. Water is all dumped to one side and then party time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In the spirit of loving up, the coches showed up the other day ... and my wife gad them tossed into the washer. So now we're trying to stretch them back out and iron them in hopes of restoring them. Fortunately, I didn't start flouring them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
As far as I'm aware, the yeast is fine. I made an ok loaf a bread a few days back with it, and delightful yeasted pancakes for Shrovetide. I use double filtered tap water; we're on a well so it's pretty hard. Once through a pur faucet, then once through a Brita pitcher. The water is warm, not hot, when I use it, and the yeast proofs fine. It gets all happy and bubbly; and then I add flour and the bread gods frown on me.

I know nothing of percentages. I just follow recipes.