Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

For Brawl?

I would assume like... Nylea, Renata, Great Henge, Guardian Project, Goose, Grazer, all the druids, plus every single big green friend and ramp artifact you can lay your grubby mitts on. And Overcome.

so a Nissa deck with a worse commander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Nissa is just loving bananas. I built that deck and played 2-3 games with it and it’s just extremely boring OP. Yorva is the better Mono-G commander because it’s more fair.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

BrianWilly posted:

...What are the "did you have fun in the match?" polls supposed to do?

see if you win

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

...What are the "did you have fun in the match?" polls supposed to do?

i only ever see this in games that go really long so it feels like it's asking if your opponent was roping you?

i like long games so i usually click the smiley face

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just got one after I kept a two lander, missed my third land drop two turns in a row then conceded.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why do people who play a T1 Fabled Passage take forever to sac it?

Also those did you enjoy yourself polls are weird since good is red and bad is blue, which is backwards color coding.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 25, 2020

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Do you mean forever like they wait until you're through your turn to crack it or literally a long amount of time to find the land they want?

Because usually I'll wait until my opponent's end step out of habit to conceal information.

Also, I'll frequently not crack it until I need to if I would rather draw a land.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

slow decks might also not have any obvious turn 2 or 3 plays in hand and maybe want to see what colours they end up actually needing to go fetch

but if it's just slow first turns it's because they alt-tab out because they are awful people

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

odiv posted:

Do you mean forever like they wait until you're through your turn to crack it or literally a long amount of time to find the land they want?

Because usually I'll wait until my opponent's end step out of habit to conceal information.

especially in game 1 or bo1 where it's best to hide what deck you're on for as long as possible

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lone Goat posted:

i only ever see this in games that go really long so it feels like it's asking if your opponent was roping you?

nah i've definitely had it in short games. i conceded one on like t3 or 4 today when my op had a bonkers open and i got it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

I've absolutely gotten them in games where I or the opponent have conceded in like 30 seconds

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

nah i've definitely had it in short games. i conceded one on like t3 or 4 today when my op had a bonkers open and i got it

Zero VGS posted:

I've absolutely gotten them in games where I or the opponent have conceded in like 30 seconds

ok fair enough, just small sample size on my part!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah Nissa is just loving bananas. I built that deck and played 2-3 games with it and it’s just extremely boring OP. Yorva is the better Mono-G commander because it’s more fair.

Well. Gonna build Nissa then and see what happens.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I usually don't post my results for drafts in here, because on a good day I usually hit 4-3 or 5-3 at best. With this pile I was sure it was gonna be another bad one, because I just let the draft get away from me and I had this weird hodgepodge that I thought wouldn't win a single match. Then, uh...

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Seems like the servers have poo poo themselves.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

InterrupterJones posted:

I usually don't post my results for drafts in here, because on a good day I usually hit 4-3 or 5-3 at best. With this pile I was sure it was gonna be another bad one, because I just let the draft get away from me and I had this weird hodgepodge that I thought wouldn't win a single match. Then, uh...

Not playing the Traveler's Amulets is absolute madness, but hey congrats.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
P1P1 Labyrinth of Skophos or Final Death or Deadful Apathy?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Seems like the servers have poo poo themselves.
Does anyone know if there's a way to get a gold refund for scuttled drafts?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I was able to briefly log in about half an hour ago after being kicked mid game in a draft, and I had been given a win for the game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Funkdreamer posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to get a gold refund for scuttled drafts?

You should be able to get a refund for them yes, there's a bug report form that should pay back the entry fee of any limited-losses entry-fee event that was disrupted from their end: https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004569843-Report-a-Bug

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

yea this is not acceptable. mods?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Lone Goat posted:

I was worried about fixing at first, but between Omen of the Hunt, The Binding of the Titans, and Relentless Pursuits, I was never really that badly split on lands. This was the draft where I learned how ridiculous Acolyte of Affliction can be.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

InterrupterJones posted:

I was worried about fixing at first, but between Omen of the Hunt, The Binding of the Titans, and Relentless Pursuits, I was never really that badly split on lands. This was the draft where I learned how ridiculous Acolyte of Affliction can be.

you can replace lands 17 and 16 with amulets, especially in bo1 with manasmoothing

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

you can replace lands 17 and 16 with amulets, especially in bo1 with manasmoothing

oh lol i never thought about how the shuffler considers them non-lands

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I thought manasmoothing only happened in quick-play Bo1, not draft Bo1.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Got to gold in ranked but kinda sick of playing against the usual suspects, which is the most fun mode for creative / unusual decks?

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 26, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

InterrupterJones posted:

This was the draft where I learned how ridiculous Acolyte of Affliction can be.

I noticed you left out your Omens of the Dead which work nicely with Acolyte. If you can get Acolyte killed, they can recur each other infinitely, or you can break the cycle and get another key card back instead.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

Got to gold in ranked but kinda sick of playing against the usual suspects, which is the most fun mode for creative / unusual decks?

I see more variety and unusual things in historic but it does also have its own set of meta decks.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

draft

kater
Nov 16, 2010

loving love that autopassing does absolutely nothing

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

kater posted:

it doesn't work, until it does when you don't want it to

same with trying to set a stop in your upkeep while your opponent is ending their turn

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

kater posted:

Maybe you're already aware but shift-clicking the button makes for a more thorough auto-pass.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ooof when I was 1-2 with this really pretty sold pool I was pretty worried.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/d50a0e78bef4457caf6c3a50d39de9bb/2

Ended up 5-3, which is honestly I think worse than it deserved.

Could have used a touch more removal, though. Hornbeetles are surprisingly good when they go off. Klothys continues to be just a little underwhelming.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

TheMaestroso posted:

New Bo3 draft - having a very hard time cutting cards!

TheMaestroso posted:

Update on this: 3-0 so far. I changed -1 Omen of the Dead, -1 Inevitable End, -1 Hero of the Winds, -1 Swamp, -1 Omen of the Sun. The round I just played was against Dream Trawler :agesilaus:

Final update: went 5-0 pretty handily. I think any deck that has Chimera/Hoplite really wants Courser for the devotion boost, especially since it's pretty difficult to kill right away.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Ooof when I was 1-2 with this really pretty sold pool I was pretty worried.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/d50a0e78bef4457caf6c3a50d39de9bb/2

Ended up 5-3, which is honestly I think worse than it deserved.

Could have used a touch more removal, though. Hornbeetles are surprisingly good when they go off. Klothys continues to be just a little underwhelming.

11 creatures plus Klothys and Iroan Games is FAR too few. should have played huntmaster and warleader to make sure that those beetles are going off more reliably.

you're playing way too much pump, your guys are already bigger than your opponent's on average. cut infuriate, both hydra growths, and aspect of manticore. gift of strength is ok since it lets you deal with fliers and if you're short on removal you can try to get your opponent's double blocks with pump. doom can probably stay but you want more 2 drops with it so you can just wreck you opponent if they don't deal with it right away so those grove dancers can go in.

aracnir is a only good of you're reliably dumping it in the graveyard, because drawing a 1/2 do nothing is awful. hero also is a bad fit once we cut all these garbage auras. tower scout might have to come in since your creature count seems low still? I'm not doing the math here.

relentless pursuit matters less in a deck with so little escape, binding of titans is similar but has a little more application because of the regrowth part. the first amulet over a land is a usually free so I'd recommend it in any deck that has escape and can spare the mana (ie isn't curving aggressively for the first 3-4 turns), but with all the these changes I've lost track of your mana curve so it might not be right, here.

phone posting so I can't see the draft but this deck would love a Wings of Hubris and those often come late enough. it's pretty much doing the same role as Wrap here but better since it works on offence and defense, especially since we're ditching the one hero.

klotyhs does is a often just a jacked up ill gotten gains (from Ravnica Allegiance) but just like that card it's only good when you're ahead and pressuring your opponent's life, it's not a card that's good when you're behind. you also need to be forcing trades or otherwise getting cards in the graveyard because it's not a creature enough of the time reliably so it's main application is as the life drain.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

11 creatures plus Klothys and Iroan Games is FAR too few. should have played huntmaster and warleader to make sure that those beetles are going off more reliably.

you're playing way too much pump, your guys are already bigger than your opponent's on average. cut infuriate, both hydra growths, and aspect of manticore. gift of strength is ok since it lets you deal with fliers and if you're short on removal you can try to get your opponent's double blocks with pump. doom can probably stay but you want more 2 drops with it so you can just wreck you opponent if they don't deal with it right away so those grove dancers can go in.

aracnir is a only good of you're reliably dumping it in the graveyard, because drawing a 1/2 do nothing is awful. hero also is a bad fit once we cut all these garbage auras. tower scout might have to come in since your creature count seems low still? I'm not doing the math here.

relentless pursuit matters less in a deck with so little escape, binding of titans is similar but has a little more application because of the regrowth part. the first amulet over a land is a usually free so I'd recommend it in any deck that has escape and can spare the mana (ie isn't curving aggressively for the first 3-4 turns), but with all the these changes I've lost track of your mana curve so it might not be right, here.

phone posting so I can't see the draft but this deck would love a Wings of Hubris and those often come late enough. it's pretty much doing the same role as Wrap here but better since it works on offence and defense, especially since we're ditching the one hero.

klotyhs does is a often just a jacked up ill gotten gains (from Ravnica Allegiance) but just like that card it's only good when you're ahead and pressuring your opponent's life, it's not a card that's good when you're behind. you also need to be forcing trades or otherwise getting cards in the graveyard because it's not a creature enough of the time reliably so it's main application is as the life drain.

All good to bear in mind for next time, thanks. I did have amulet in the first version of the deck but I found it was hurting the curve too much, and not gaining me much when I had it. I swapped it out for Pursuit and found that a lot more useful, because honestly a 3 mana draw 2 is pretty solid, which is what it was every time, especially with some selection of the draw occasionally. I probably could have had a Wings in there, but that was why I had the Forerunner, which I used to good effect to push damage with big dudes.

Aracnir is a good thought. I usually try to include a single one drop creature for curve but I was probably too conservative with swinging with it against blockers that kill it, because it's way better once it's escaped, and I'm used to more useful 1-drops generally like Wayfarer or Eidolon.

Klothys was something that I leaped on because sure, a draft with 4 on-colour rare/mythics is great, but possibly should have looked at a little more closely in terms of value. IIRC I did check the rest of the pack for better stuff before I took it, but I think maybe I missed out on a Setessan Training or a Warbriar Blessing I could have had. I did get it swinging a couple of times though, which was amusing, but yeah, it's really not as bomby as it looks. That 7 devotion is a hard climb. E: looking at the draft it was Anax who was the alternative and on reflection would have been a better choice right the way through. And it looks like I skipped an Iroas's Blessing a couple of picks later for a soul guide lantern I didn't use which was a cock-up for sure.

Manticore + Hydra's Growth won me at least two games though (albeit, probably my opponent in at least one of them made a mistake with their blocking that opened up the blowout), I don't feel like either of those is as terrible as you're making out. The one I probably would have cut is Impending Doom (maybe I did in the final build?), but I forgot until I got it played AND had to swing with it, that I had to swing with it.

Still, it got me enough to fund the next draft, but I'm waiting to do that til tomorrow when I've not run out of dailies.

E: here's the whole draft if you really wanna tear it up. https://www.17lands.com/draft/d50a0e78bef4457caf6c3a50d39de9bb

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 26, 2020

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hydra's growth is a bad card and is a complete trap. Its a card that seems really good when your opponent can do literally nothing about it but most opponents can do something about it and you are just going to 2-1 yourself like 80% of the time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have been playing Arena for almost exactly one month now. And I just made it to Mythic.

The most fun part about running a budget version of RDW is:
Stomping the expensive version of RDW on turn 4 because those 20ish extra rares make less difference then playing first. And because they fail to take advantage of my weaker cards, because they think I have the more expensive versions on my hand.

What does that 90% line on the mythic rank mean?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hydra's growth is a bad card and is a complete trap. Its a card that seems really good when your opponent can do literally nothing about it but most opponents can do something about it and you are just going to 2-1 yourself like 80% of the time.

Generally yeah. But if you throw it on a random etb dork, you get 1-1ed at worst and win at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I have been playing Arena for almost exactly one month now. And I just made it to Mythic.

The most fun part about running a budget version of RDW is:
Stomping the expensive version of RDW on turn 4 because those 20ish extra rares make less difference then playing first. And because they fail to take advantage of my weaker cards, because they think I have the more expensive versions on my hand.

What does that 90% line on the mythic rank mean?

The percentage is supposed to be the percentage of total players in the whole game below your skill level (I think? or maybe just the number of mythic players?), if you get high enough it turns into numbers, those numbers are your current rank for that play type.