Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

piratepilates posted:

So overall how would you guys rate the season out of 10? How does it fit amongst the other shows?

3/10 below Enterprise

IMO

I'm prepared to be burned at the stake for thoughtcrimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

piratepilates posted:

So overall how would you guys rate the season out of 10? How does it fit amongst the other shows?

6.5/10. It wasn’t awful by any means but it could have been so much better with that cast and that pedigree. It’s tough to rank it exactly among other first seasons since a) it’s much shorter and b) it mostly involved a single plot instead of 26 different ones, but I think it’s probably somewhere in the middle. Better than TNG S1 or Disco S1, but not as good as TOS S1 or DS9 S1. The real highlight was the cast but the plot was bland, and parts of it felt like they’d been rewritten moments before shooting. It’s a mess just like Disco S1, but it at least felt more coherent.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'd give it a 6. I'm glad I watched it, but it could have done so much better.

It's hard to compare to the other shows, because it's so much different (I haven't watched Discovery). Like, outside of some ideas like synth rights, it doesn't even hit any of the same themes, and the format is so much different. It would be like, which is the better show, Cheers or Breaking Bad? Like, uh...that really depends on what you're looking for. (And yes, I know it's not that extreme, but you get what I'm saying.)

Personally I'd put it ahead of Voyager and Enterprise, because I could just never get through those, and behind everything else (again, I haven't watched Discovery).

edit:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

6.5/10. It wasn’t awful by any means but it could have been so much better with that cast and that pedigree. It’s tough to rank it exactly among other first seasons since a) it’s much shorter and b) it mostly involved a single plot instead of 26 different ones, but I think it’s probably somewhere in the middle. Better than TNG S1 or Disco S1, but not as good as TOS S1 or DS9 S1. The real highlight was the cast but the plot was bland, and parts of it felt like they’d been rewritten moments before shooting. It’s a mess just like Disco S1, but it at least felt more coherent.

Oh, this is a good point. As far as Star Trek season ones, it's way better than TNG S1, I'll say that. I am shocked TNG survived it's first 2 seasons. I'm glad it did, don't get me wrong, but yikes.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm going to give it a good rating based on the next season, which I have no idea what it even is but I'm sure it will be good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If I’m being completely honest, I do not care to have Seven return. With Hugh and the xB this should have been prime story potential to explore her trauma with the Borg and use it to relate with Picard and show how she’s grown since Voyager. Instead she just shows up twice to shoot some folks and say directly to the camera “I’m a hard drinkin’ badass outlaw ranger now”. Everything about her was awful this season. They botched Hugh’s arc overall but at least he still had that scene with Picard. Seven had nothing interesting going for her.

I just can’t believe how badly they whiffed on all the Borg stuff. It never even amounted to anything important since it never really factored into the larger story! It was just a location to pickup and dropoff main characters. How do you do a finale about synths threatening to destroy organic life and not mention the race of cyborgs next door in some way?

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 26, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm going to give it a good rating based on the next season, which I have no idea what it even is but I'm sure it will be good.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Martytoof posted:

3/10 below Enterprise

IMO

I'm prepared to be burned at the stake for thoughtcrimes.

Enterprise, while trapped in a stale plotting and production style from ~20 years of previous Trek, was far more inspired than this.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I'd give it a 6, it had its moments, and I felt the finale was good enough to bump the score up, but the whole bit about everyone having some crippling personal tragedy felt over the top to me. Some of the other subplots were not as good as they could have been, like Incest Sister, Hugh's Arc or Seven's backstory.

Martytoof posted:

Notable exceptions:
Acting Captain William motherfuckin T motherfucking Riker

His moments in this series makes me wish they had made a series around him instead.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

His moments in this series makes me wish they had made a series around him instead.

Don't worry, it'd be just as tortured and ill-plotted if they did it about him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I know Star Trek technology is already basically magic, but for some reason, that little handheld device that does literally whatever you can imagine just seems so egregious.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I know Pat Stew didn't want TNG part 2 but hear me out here, since the rest of the TNG cast seems game for it, how about they do a show where the rest of them bust out their old Starfleet uniforms and go do stuff? It can be like the future parts of All Good Things but think of all the money they will save by not having to use all that hokey old person makeup!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Season 2 hasn't been greenlit yet, and is still in the air, isn't it? I had kind of assumed that the CBS free month push having a lot of advertising around Picard was an attempt to boost interest and try to secure a second season.

Overall, I think I liked this season more than a lot of people. It had some slow parts and some stuff that was overly redundant and I felt like Elnor probably could have done more in general, but overall it wasn't bad. For some reason it feels "smaller" to me than the other Treks I've seen (I kind of stopped following the franchise around half way through Voyager), but I can't really explain what I mean by that.

One issue I have with the resolution: Okay, so the point of the beacon was to call the super synths in to wipe out organic life and rescue the synths in the galaxy. It seems pretty explicit saying it's a beacon and not a portal generator. Why did the invasion stop after it got disabled? Even if it was intended to be a portal to provide entry into the galaxy, and the synths somehow didn't predict that it could possibly get destroyed shortly after being activated, they are are still aware that synthetic life advanced to the stage they're looking for and also felt threatened enough to activate the beacon. So the extra-galactic synths are now aware of the galaxy and the synths in it. Why would they not continue the invasion using that information and their technology that apparently lets them go any distance effectively instantly?

I'm guessing things like that are what would end up coming in later seasons, because treating the beacon like a portal in and of itself goes against the way it was being described. It really doesn't feel like the dilemma is actually resolved though.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

One issue I have with the resolution: Okay, so the point of the beacon was to call the super synths in to wipe out organic life and rescue the synths in the galaxy. It seems pretty explicit saying it's a beacon and not a portal generator. Why did the invasion stop after it got disabled? Even if it was intended to be a portal to provide entry into the galaxy, and the synths somehow didn't predict that it could possibly get destroyed shortly after being activated, they are are still aware that synthetic life advanced to the stage they're looking for and also felt threatened enough to activate the beacon. So the extra-galactic synths are now aware of the galaxy and the synths in it. Why would they not continue the invasion using that information and their technology that apparently lets them go any distance effectively instantly?

I'm guessing things like that are what would end up coming in later seasons, because treating the beacon like a portal in and of itself goes against the way it was being described. It really doesn't feel like the dilemma is actually resolved though.

Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear: The show was written by people who don't give a poo poo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Season 2 hasn't been greenlit yet, and is still in the air, isn't it? I had kind of assumed that the CBS free month push having a lot of advertising around Picard was an attempt to boost interest and try to secure a second season.

It was renewed before the first episode even aired.

e:

piratepilates posted:

6/10 It gets most of the broad strokes right, but fails at some minor plot points with stupid things or inconsistencies. Also some characters like Elnore and Seven weren't utilized well at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 26, 2020

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh, well poo poo. I somehow couldn't find that information.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'd give it a 6/10 as well. 6/10 is pretty mediocre TV. And it only got up to a 6 because there were a few episodes in there that worked, which means that there's something there that can be mined out of it if they somehow got their act together - but I really can't see it ever reaching much higher than 7/10 on their best days, maybe 8/10 if they hit gold. At least with the current producing team.

It's a disappointing mess, and a meager hill to build upon. But it's not a total disaster. I mean, I've seen worse. Part of the problem is that I don't think the show knows what it wants to be. I think it's aiming for 'profound and meaty' and is instead hitting notes of 'disposable adventure.' Which is Kurtzman's bread and butter. Chabon never ran a show before, and I think it's clear he leaned on Kurtzman et al too much and we got incest Romulan twins and blue beams in the sky opening a hole to robot hell. Chabon, it seemed, wanted to tell a story about myths and how they shape us - but none of that really resonated. Pretty much the only stuff that worked was the stuff leaning on characters or ideas produced from shows from the past.

It may be time to let Star Trek die. And not put it in a robot body.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The next time Star Trek is interested in the future of mankind it will be good. Until then it will be bad.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

e:

3/5 It gets most of the broad strokes right, but fails at some minor plot points with stupid things or inconsistencies. Also some characters like Elnore and Seven weren't utilized well at all.

I said out of 10 man, what the gently caress :argh:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
lmao no Q. What a waste of everyone's time.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The season was... fine.

Yeah, 6/10. Next season I'm going to wait for the season to finish and only sub for a month instead of watching it week to week.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

piratepilates posted:

I said out of 10 man, what the gently caress :argh:

Its 3/5ths out of 10, less than a 1. Hell, I agree.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

SyRauk posted:

What a waste of everyone's time.

I mean, to be fair, this is the right time for time-wasting.

It's not like they knew that beforehand, though.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

ashpanash posted:

I mean, to be fair, this is the right time for time-wasting.

It's not like they knew that beforehand, though.

Or did they? :tinfoil:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
2/10. Boring, extremely derivative, self important but with nothing to say. The brightest points were the references to a show that started 30 years ago, and without that this series gave me little reason to care. I would be bummed out but honestly it's not like I was really expecting it to be good.

Arglebargle III posted:

The next time Star Trek is interested in the future of mankind it will be good. Until then it will be bad.

Yeah, agreed wholeheartedly.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, I watched the whole series, but yeah, it was Voyager level writing with modern prestige budgeting.

I'm curious why the Romulans needed such a huge fleet when TOS established that a single Constitution class was more than capable of rendering planet utterly uninhabitable. Again, the modern idea of 'glassing' a planet, rather than the more accurate old idea that a few well-placed torpedoes on major fault lines will do the trick quite handily.

I'm also embarrassed at how long it took me to realize that Rios was Aramis from the BBC Three Musketeers show a few years back.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’d be interested to know how many of you think you’ll go back and rewatch this season. I felt like it was an okay setup, with a few well done moments sprinkled throughout, but nothing compelling enough for a rewatch. And since it’s serialized, there’s even less of a reason to pop on a random episode. Whatever poster said it could’ve been a better two-hour movie was spot on.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Retrowave Joe posted:

I’d be interested to know how many of you think you’ll go back and rewatch this season. I felt like it was an okay setup, with a few well done moments sprinkled throughout, but nothing compelling enough for a rewatch. And since it’s serialized, there’s even less of a reason to pop on a random episode. Whatever poster said it could’ve been a better two-hour movie was spot on.

Probably never. I haven't finished the show, and I don't have much interest in watching the four episodes I missed after reading about them. I enjoyed the first six an OK amount but looking back there's nothing about them I would want to see again. Maybe in a few years I'll watch clips on YouTube to remember what happened, but probably nothing more than that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SyRauk posted:

I was really really really hoping that when Picard woke up after he died he would be sitting across from Q.

Not that the Data thing hadn’t worked well or anything, but Q out of nowhere would have given me some hope.

Right now I’m not sure I have even the slighted anticipation of season two. I mean, I’ll tune in like an obedient schmuck just to hatewatch I guess, but ehh.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If I’m being completely honest, I do not care to have Seven return. With Hugh and the xB this should have been prime story potential to explore her trauma with the Borg and use it to relate with Picard and show how she’s grown since Voyager. Instead she just shows up twice to shoot some folks and say directly to the camera “I’m a hard drinkin’ badass outlaw ranger now”. Everything about her was awful this season. They botched Hugh’s arc overall but at least he still had that scene with Picard. Seven had nothing interesting going for her.

I just can’t believe how badly they whiffed on all the Borg stuff. It never even amounted to anything important since it never really factored into the larger story! It was just a location to pickup and dropoff main characters. How do you do a finale about synths threatening to destroy organic life and not mention the race of cyborgs next door in some way?

Imagine if the moment where she takes control of the cube was in episode 4 or 5, and they do pay off the idea that she's afraid of going on a power trip being in control of so many drones, rather than flushing them out the airlock and immediately throwing it all away. Have one of the important plot arcs for the rest of the season be her struggling to relinquish that control and come back to her humanity, with Picard and Hugh's help. Plenty of meat there, and Seven commanding a cube would perhaps serve to give us an even wider window into what Picard experienced as Locutus, and the process he needed to go through to heal from that.

I did enjoy Jeri Ryan's acting in this show, she really elevated the relatively poor-quality material that they gave her. I'm still rather miffed that her whole backstory with Bjazel the crime lord was mostly told and not shown... isn't that violating the first rule of screenwriting? That alone makes me question Chabon. However, Ryan sold it all admirably. If she is a main cast member next season, I have no doubt she will be one of the highlights.

This episode felt the most coherent out of all of them, probably because they knew they had to maintain momentum to wrap up the story. My biggest beef with this show is that so many episodes feel exactly the opposite, like there were 4 or 5 writers handling 1 or 2 scenes each and then cobbling them together real fast at the end of the week. Once again, I'm thinking especially of the Freecloud episode, which was really a big mess. There are plenty of touching individual character moments here and there that were worthwhile, such as everything with Troi and Riker, Hugh guiding Picard through the cube, and even Picard and Data in this episode, which really made me tear up as well. But they do not assemble into a coherent whole. I suppose if Abrams and Kurtzman's style can be said to have any strength, it is getting the audience to experience emotions in the moment as they happen, even if the greater structure of the story being told is very weak.

On top of that, so many plot elements are introduced simply to force the story forward. Saga's magical synth tool, which I guess is a sonic screwdriver or a loving Green Lantern ring, that oh-so-convenient synth body, Picard's brain abnormality being established early on and then completely forgotten about until it's needed to inject tension into the finale... It just doesn't feel like an organically developing series of events. I was thinking of a 2/5 rating after reflecting on the first 9 episodes, so 4/10 on that scale, and episode 10 did nothing to change my mind. I seriously doubt I will rewatch any of it anytime soon, and I will likely be holding off on subscribing for season 2 at least until I see reviews of its premiere. Most likely I will binge it in a week, if I watch it at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, I watched the whole series, but yeah, it was Voyager level writing with modern prestige budgeting.

I'm curious why the Romulans needed such a huge fleet when TOS established that a single Constitution class was more than capable of rendering planet utterly uninhabitable. Again, the modern idea of 'glassing' a planet, rather than the more accurate old idea that a few well-placed torpedoes on major fault lines will do the trick quite handily.

I'm also embarrassed at how long it took me to realize that Rios was Aramis from the BBC Three Musketeers show a few years back.

According to the old standby Sternbach & Okuda TNG tech manual, the energy output of a single photon warhead from the Big D was about 950 gigatons or ~1/500th the energy of the Chicxulub impact. The Enterprise couldn't have literally vitrified a planet's entire surface but it could have terror bombed a planet into submission with a fraction of its arsenal or firebombed the surface clean of complex life using its entire complement of weapons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

piratepilates posted:

2 or 3 / 10, it's a pretty terrible show and i'm surprised season 2 hasn't been canceled.

Tighclops posted:

2/10. Boring, extremely derivative, self important but with nothing to say. The brightest points were the references to a show that started 30 years ago, and without that this series gave me little reason to care. I would be bummed out but honestly it's not like I was really expecting it to be good.

Because Patrick Stewart was so heavily involved with this, I was hopeful it would at least be decent, but it couldn't even do that. It's trash for all of the reasons you mentioned.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 26, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm giving the season 2/10, I enjoyed parts of it but it's not star trek at all. They took a sci-fi premise and just named some characters after trek characters. Their personalities aren't even the same. It completely missed the point of trek.
They need to quit trying to serialize it with overly dramatic storylines that shovel in references to whatever characters for nostalgia reasons. If we're still making trek in 2020 it really ought to carry on the style of tos, tng, ds9 etc. Individual character-focused tv set in space. Give it all new characters and advance the timeline another generation. Make it so that ten years from now we can happily watch it in the background while cleaning the house on a lazy sunday afternoon and make up lists of hilariously hammy episodes on GBS. Picard sucks precisely because there's no threshold or profit and lace against killer episodes like inner light and chain of command. All of it is all brain-numbing by-the-numbers zzz flix.

Not this bullshit save-the-galaxy prestige wankfest. Boooooo

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I know Star Trek technology is already basically magic, but for some reason, that little handheld device that does literally whatever you can imagine just seems so egregious.

Calling it now that it will tie into season 2 somehow.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

So - not to get into any huge arguments with anyone - but personally, I think 2 or 3 out of 10 is reaching into hyperbole. It was well-produced technically, and the acting in it was solid. The camerawork and cinematography were in general pretty good. The actors did what they could with what they were given. This was a writing failure, and an execution failure. But I've seen way worse - poo poo, I remember tuning into some CBS or FOX drama that was loving unwatchable. I don't know what it was, but it was two pretty people who were completely wooden talking in dead dialog about the stupidest poo poo.

I mean, I loving hated Westworld Season 2 and even I would give that a 5/10. There's failing and then there's "no effort was put into this at all, from any angle."

But then again, I guess we all grade on our own curves. But that's why I'm giving the show a 6/10 and not a 2/10, even though I think a lot of us are on the same page.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SyRauk posted:

Speaking of, where were the Q during the last time the "advanced synths" attacked? You'd think that'd be one of the few things they'd interfere for.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah, it comes down to how much weight you want to put on technical aspects. If you see it as "storytelling" then maybe everything else is in service to the story, but if the story is weak, then just how much does it elevate that weak story? Do all the extra bells and whistles even matter?

To me, the bottom line is that all of those things age with time. What makes media classic is the story itself. STP did not deliver a story - from start to finish - that will be as appreciated or remembered as well as the best trek episodes. It was made to be binge watched and its flaws stick out even worse if you sit down and see it all at once.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

ashpanash posted:

So - not to get into any huge arguments with anyone - but personally, I think 2 or 3 out of 10 is reaching into hyperbole. It was well-produced technically, and the acting in it was solid. The camerawork and cinematography were in general pretty good. The actors did what they could with what they were given. This was a writing failure, and an execution failure. But I've seen way worse - poo poo, I remember tuning into some CBS or FOX drama that was loving unwatchable. I don't know what it was, but it was two pretty people who were completely wooden talking in dead dialog about the stupidest poo poo.

I mean, I loving hated Westworld Season 2 and even I would give that a 5/10. There's failing and then there's "no effort was put into this at all, from any angle."

But then again, I guess we all grade on our own curves. But that's why I'm giving the show a 6/10 and not a 2/10, even though I think a lot of us are on the same page.

It fits this weird gray area where it's not terrible terrible, but it's got enough problems that I can see the rating sink further due to blandness. Like there's no boom mics in shots, and there's competent VFX, and passable performances -- but that makes it fit the same mental space for mediocre movies I've seen and forgotten having ever watched.

It's not quite terrible enough to stand out in some way. If this didn't have the Star Trek name I probably would legitimately forget it exists in a few years time. By that merit I think the rating could be knocked down from a 4 or 5 to even lower. It's similar to that skywalker movie where you see it, it's got scenes, it's not terribly made, but the whole thing feels clumsy and hollow to the point where you feel like it deserves worse.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Right, but I'm trying not to compare cross genre. Out of "general TV" I guess this is like a 5 or 6/10. On a scale of "how do I compare this to other Star Trek" I honestly do give this a 2/10 without trying to be snarky about it. It felt like a letdown in almost every aspect.

Compare it to a season twenty-something of The Simpsons and I'd tell you Picard was infinitely more watchable and enjoyable than that.

It started off really strong for an episode but never maintained that high, is probably the best praise I can give it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 26, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

All fair points.

What I really want to see is a Star Trek: Paradigms TV show. Bring on Dark Admiral Hyperriker!

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ashpanash posted:

Of course I think you make some great points, I mean if I were to score it as it is, it's obviously an extremely well produced and well acted season but as a trek nerd it's very disappointing and wasn't what I was expecting or looking for.