Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

pseudorandom posted:

I'm really liking these debunk videos. On one hand, watching lovely lifehacks is great and all, but on the other hand, debunk videos combine lovely lifehacks with the schadenfreude of proving that these channels are full of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eINllOc0hc

I only came here to post the video, but drat, I didn't know this woman had a food science degree. Now I've been convinced to subscribe to her channel.

An Associate of Science degree you get from culinary school doesn't make you a "food scientist" but I'm not the only graduate who had said I'm a "food scientist" to make my lame 200k predatory degree sound warranted. They do teach you a lot of scientific applications of food though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

MageMage posted:

An Associate of Science degree you get from culinary school doesn't make you a "food scientist" but I'm not the only graduate who had said I'm a "food scientist" to make my lame 200k predatory degree sound warranted. They do teach you a lot of scientific applications of food though.

To be fair, she was also a dietitian which requires more than an associate degree.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Is this the Australian woman? She's doing good work. She's actually doing the things suggested as they are shown, and they really don't work.

The best one has to be the sneaker whitening one where you can see the sizes printed on the before and after - and they're different.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This is good for sweaters so you dont get shoulder nipples.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

George H.W. oval office posted:

What if I want shoulder nipples though huh?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

in grad school, we were allowed one undergrad class. a friend and I picked the Rhetoric of Alien Colonization.

on the second day of class, she pointed out that the bra of the woman in front of us made reverse nipples when she sat down... something about the way the straps sagged.

anyway, she and I just passed fascinated notes about the reverse boobs on this person

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm almost certain this was a troom troom hack.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

MageMage posted:

For what it's worth, one of my close fiends got her M.S. Food Science degree from a school I consider pretty respectable, so that's why I don't question others with that title.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Never hang sweaters, fold them and put them in a drawer or on a shelf.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Never hang sweaters, fold them and put them in a drawer or on a shelf.
Counterpoint: https://www.today.com/style/how-hang-your-sweaters-without-ruining-them-t118188

This works really well for thinner sweaters if you have more hanger space than shelf real estate.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

Counterpoint: https://www.today.com/style/how-hang-your-sweaters-without-ruining-them-t118188

This works really well for thinner sweaters if you have more hanger space than shelf real estate.

I will die in a hail of gunfire in a watchtower before I take advice from "Today"....

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

I will die in a hail of gunfire in a watchtower before I take advice from "Today"....
:rolleyes: It's the first link I found. I didn't learn about it from there.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

:rolleyes: It's the first link I found. I didn't learn about it from there.

Too late, I'm literally dead. Thx!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Ape of Naples posted:

Too late, I'm literally dead. Thx!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSDKG58OScw

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Apr 4, 2020

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/EDm661K.mp4

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

pseudorandom posted:

I'm really liking these debunk videos. On one hand, watching lovely lifehacks is great and all, but on the other hand, debunk videos combine lovely lifehacks with the schadenfreude of proving that these channels are full of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eINllOc0hc

I only came here to post the video, but drat, I didn't know this woman had a food science degree. Now I've been convinced to subscribe to her channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqa8dsBtno
The newest debunk video has the greatest plot swerve.
Start of it : Haha that's not how you make cakes.
12 minutes in : Investigative journalism

Croccers has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Apr 4, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Life. Hacked.

https://magazine.avocadogreenmattress.com/turns-out-making-your-own-hand-sanitizer-is-really-easy/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqa8dsBtno
The newest debunk video has the greatest plot swerve.
Start of it : Haha that's not how you make cakes.
12 minutes in : Investigative journalism

lol this is wild

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Uh

quote:

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has stated that hand sanitizer made up of 70 percent isopropyl or rubbing alcohol will kill most pathogens, including Covid-19.
. . .
Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99% alcohol by volume)
. . .
The efficacy of hand sanitizer spray is in the ratios: Two parts alcohol to one part water

Now I'm no math wiz so I may need help here, but it seems to me if you start with 99% and dilute it 2 parts alcohol to 1 part water, the result is going to be ~66%. And 66 is less than 70?!? :confused:

Hand non-sanitizer.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ann Reardon does a lot of good work on this stuff. She's a pro watch in your roni downtime.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Uh

Now I'm no math wiz so I may need help here, but it seems to me if you start with 99% and dilute it 2 parts alcohol to 1 part water, the result is going to be ~66%. And 66 is less than 70?!? :confused:

Hand non-sanitizer.

That was why it got put in stupid life hacks I guess.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Uh

Hand non-sanitizer.

You can also buy isopropyl in different concentrations and the one I have sitting on my table is 70%!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Yeah, I think the magic number to kill germs is around 60%. 70% is just a standard concentration that, in a saner world, would be readily available on the shelves of every grocery store and pharmacy in the world. 99% is available in some places but costs more.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Volumetric measurements are super hard to do reliably without calibrated lab equipment. I'd wager that attempting an odd ratio like 7:3 would be substantially less accurate than a simple 1:2 ratio. Going by mass would be better but Americans are allergic to good ideas that other people use (see also: the metric system). Addmitedly then we get into weird issues of w/w and w/v measurements, fortunately I have a concise 70 slide powerpoint on exactly this topic

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

walrusman posted:

Yeah, I think the magic number to kill germs is around 60%. 70% is just a standard concentration that, in a saner world, would be readily available on the shelves of every grocery store and pharmacy in the world. 99% is available in some places but costs more.
What, is 99% really significantly worse at killing germs than 60 or 70%?

Hmm... if this is true, then disinfecting foodstuffs with cask strength single malt scotch whisky should be a great idea.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The thing is time. 99% evaporates faster, so it may not have time to work. If you, say, put it in a zip lock bag and let whatever stew in that it will definitely work.

As for drinkable stuff, 151 rum is the closest you'll get to 70%. Most liquors are well under 50%.

So give it a shot or two. What have you got to lose? (Just don't inject it)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cyberbug posted:

Hmm... if this is true, then disinfecting foodstuffs with cask strength single malt scotch whisky should be a great idea.

Highest commercially available (and tasty!) I've got is a 68% cognac, but $230 a bottle is a bit steep for sanitizer.

I'll have to go with the 87% absinthe, then. Inside and out.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

% or proof?

Proof is half the percentage, so an 80 proof liquor is only 40%.

87% (174 proof) seems awfully high for any liqueur.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's why you get grain alcohol. Just forget about taste and get the highest proof you can at the lowest price.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Everclear is a fantastic fuel for streaking.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

If you can get it. My state and the ones around it limit proof to 151.

But I did pick up a gallon of 190 Everclear on vacation last summer.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

cyberbug posted:

Yes. 70% is the most effective.

Best, M., Sattar, S.A., Springthorpe, V.S. et al. Comparative mycobactericidal efficacy of chemical disinfectants in suspension and carrier tests. Appl Environ Microbiol., 1988; 54: 2856–8.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What is the ideal ratio of 91% rubbing alcohol to 80 proof vodka to aloe vera lotion?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RandomPauI posted:

What is the ideal ratio of 91% rubbing alcohol to 80 proof vodka to aloe vera lotion?

100g rubbing alcohol + 60g aloe + 0g vodka to get to the right dilution.

Now drink the vodka to celebrate.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrUnderbridge posted:

% or proof?

%, and yes it would be exceptionally stupid to drink it neat.

I know a guy with a home still, and he likes to use it for stupid things like this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrUnderbridge posted:

% or proof?

Yes, that’s absinthe. It’s meant to be diluted with water and sugar before drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cyberbug posted:

The disinfectant you can drink.