Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Volmarias posted:

The idea is that you're not putting out garbage that you wouldn't use yourself.

What baffles me is, Microsoft's internal system administrators have physical access to the developers who wrote this poo poo. How are there not constant stories about screaming matches in the cafeteria between the people who have to run Windows, and the people who wrote it ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Give a better saying then.

Do the stuff I'm preaching

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mustache Ride posted:

Do the stuff I'm preaching

Cool Ill use it. But you still understood what I meant.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can we also stop using the term "bug" for a glitch? i don't like bugs

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Last Chance posted:

What if it's a glitch caused by a bug?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

astral posted:

What if it's a glitch caused by a bug?

Undocumented behaviour

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

beuges posted:

Undocumented behaviour
Also known as: users.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mllaneza posted:

What baffles me is, Microsoft's internal system administrators have physical access to the developers who wrote this poo poo. How are there not constant stories about screaming matches in the cafeteria between the people who have to run Windows, and the people who wrote it ?

Because the only people at Microsoft that use Windows are the couple of people on Insiders team that do webcasts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In my mind, I'm imagining the internal network at MSFT to be some sort of Dante's Inferno levels of hell of Windows vulnerabilities.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mllaneza posted:

When you're the ones writing the software, you're probably also able to deploy and configure it in very useful ways and lean on said developers to ensure that things you in particular need, get attention. There's also unlikely to be any "well we're still using Vista in 2017, let's look at upgrading to windows 7" nonsense. Working at a certain large company that produces its own productivity software, I'm also able to complain loudly and at least hear a reason why my particular issue is not trivial to solve, or is already on the roadmap, so I'm more forgiving here.

What's wild to me is hearing about how people back in the early 90s liked DOS and Windows because it let them hack on their own machines and tinker with things.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 15, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volmarias posted:

When you're the ones writing the software, you're probably also able to deploy and configure it in very useful ways and lean on said developers to ensure that things you in particular need, get attention. There's also unlikely to be any "well we're still using Vista in 2017, let's look at upgrading to windows 7" nonsense. Working at a certain large company that produces its own productivity software, I'm also able to complain loudly and at least hear a reason why my particular issue is not trivial to solve, or is already on the roadmap, so I'm more forgiving here.

What's wild to me is hearing about how people back in the early 90s liked DOS and Windows because it let them hack on their own machines and tinker with things.

I remember hex editing command.com.

I always ran Mega Hard Dick Operating System on my computer

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yeah. Back then, home computer owner demographics were strongly skewed towards “computer enthusiasts” who had already learnt and expected that these were messy systems that required lots of guts POKEing just to get games running, sound working, etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

poo poo I remember using a chip puller and inserter to upgrade the family IBM XT from 512K to 640K. Given I was 14 at the time, it was pretty nerve wracking since I went ahead and did it without telling my dad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Proteus Jones posted:

poo poo I remember using a chip puller and inserter to upgrade the family IBM XT from 512K to 640K. Given I was 14 at the time, it was pretty nerve wracking since I went ahead and did it without telling my dad.
I remember my dad and I both carefully triple checking the process and orientation when adding additional SIMMs to our first PC. Grounding ourselves religiously, not taking the cards out of the bag until the absolute last second, etc. It was such a relief watching the POST RAM counter keep going after 2048KB.

A few years later we accidentally hot-swapped a PCI modem on an MMX-era Pentium system when we were switching back and forth trying to solve a problem and forgot to shut the computer down first. It's amazing how quickly that sense of fragility goes away (though we still both had a "oh gently caress.....wait....it's still running.....wow...." moment).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Proteus Jones posted:

never did it with system RAM, but I had an expansion board that added a whole 2M when you filled all the banks with chips. that poo poo was cool as hell to kid me building it.

they need to make more computers like that

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mllaneza posted:

Lots of Kool-Aid

Last Chance posted:

You're not supposed to like bugs, you're supposed to eradicate them.
Also, it's called a bug because the first one was a literal bug in a relay.

beuges posted:

Undocumented behaviour

D. Ebdrup posted:

Also known as: users.

:golfclap:

wolrah posted:

I remember my dad and I both carefully triple checking the process and orientation when adding additional SIMMs to our first PC. Grounding ourselves religiously, not taking the cards out of the bag until the absolute last second, etc. It was such a relief watching the POST RAM counter keep going after 2048KB.

A few years later we accidentally hot-swapped a PCI modem on an MMX-era Pentium system when we were switching back and forth trying to solve a problem and forgot to shut the computer down first. It's amazing how quickly that sense of fragility goes away (though we still both had a "oh gently caress.....wait....it's still running.....wow...." moment).

I gave up on all the static precautions and poo poo decades ago.
Now whenever a user questions me about it while I'm working with RAM or their SSD, I make sure to rub my fingers along the contacts a few times. And threaten to lick it. I have to assert dominance.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Darchangel posted:

Now whenever a user questions me about it while I'm working with RAM or their SSD, I make sure to rub my fingers along the contacts a few times. And threaten to lick it. I have to assert dominance.

if you are touching a plugged in case, you are grounded and safe :colbert:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

By the time I had a PC of my own I was over the extreme paranoia about static. I just touch the case and call it a day, no strap. At one point I had a TV that constantly generated static that I literally placed an old motherboard over and ran my hand around zapping all over the board. My little brother then used that motherboard as his PC for two years, with it just laying on his desk being started with a screwdriver.

RFC2324 posted:

And even if it's not plugged in, the case defines the neutral voltage for all the electronics so even if you aren't entirely discharged you should be at least equally charged to the case and thus the electronics in it.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Darchangel posted:

You're not supposed to like bugs, you're supposed to eradicate them.
Also, it's called a bug because the first one was a literal bug in a relay.
A common misconception. The incident you are thinking of was the first LITERAL bug found in a computer. The expression was in use before that.

Thomas Edison, 1878 posted:

It has been just so in all of my inventions. The first step is an intuition, and comes with a burst, then difficulties arise—this thing gives out and [it is] then that "Bugs"—as such little faults and difficulties are called—show themselves and months of intense watching, study and labor are requisite before commercial success or failure is certainly reached.
e: I guess because bugs are annoying, like the ants during a picnic trope? Seems logical.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 19, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

RFC2324 posted:

Exactly.

F4rt5 posted:

A common misconception. The incident you are thinking of was the first LITERAL bug found in a computer. The expression was in use before that.

e: I guess because bugs are annoying, like the ants during a picnic trope? Seems logical.

Huh. I read that it was a literal bug in a relay in, I believe it was, UNIVAC that gave them the name.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darchangel posted:

Huh. I read that it was a literal bug in a relay in, I believe it was, UNIVAC that gave them the name.

https://www.bbvaopenmind.com/en/technology/innovation/when-computer-bugs-where-real-insects/

quote:

The story is so popular that, like any story often told, it has become distorted over the years. Contrary to the version circulating today, that episode was not the one that coined the term ‘bug’ for computer errors, nor the verb ‘debugging’ for their correction. The truth is that, well before this incident, these words were often used to refer to the malfunctions of machines, as evidenced by the notes of the inventor Thomas Edison in the 1870s. In fact, sources from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) have attributed the coining of these terms to Edison himself, and in the era of the Mark II, the computer engineers at Harvard used them regularly.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F4rt5 posted:

Huh. I guess I've learned something today. Neat.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do not buy or use third party AV products. Please. Thank you.

I've been using ESET NOD 32 since forever ago - both for antivirus and firewall. Is the microsoft windows defender now the way to go? Finally getting ready to build a new computer and trying to play catch up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

King Keltair posted:

I've been using ESET NOD 32 since forever ago - both for antivirus and firewall. Is the microsoft windows defender now the way to go? Finally getting ready to build a new computer and trying to play catch up.

Yes, use Windows Defender.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

King Keltair posted:

Defender is kicking rear end.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

Thanks guys!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Those of you who manage BitLocker within an organization, do you also prevent access to manage-bde? Curious about compensating controls.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Doesn't doing anything with manage-bde require elevation?

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Those of you who manage BitLocker within an organization, do you also prevent access to manage-bde? Curious about compensating controls.

whats bde? I've never heard of it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bdez nutz

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Billa posted:

whats bde? I've never heard of it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/manage-bde

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Fool posted:

Doesn't doing anything with manage-bde require elevation?
Probably. We also do Splunk-based alerting of encrypted devices so if someone gets out of line we should at least know.

Only 3 more years until the Intune rollout and we can get rid of MBAM.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Diva Cupcake posted:

One of the old tricks is deter people is to modified the default acls to the executable so the standard admins/users groups can't execute and you need to be in a domain admins group or similar.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Has anyone got a link to a good, consolidated technical deep dive on the current Zoom vulnerabilities? The UNC path one sounds interesting.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zoom: oh hey you got a link for meeting

Link: \\420.69.13.13\C$

Your system: *attempts to log in*

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
So if they're WFH on an enterprise Win 10 machine, the attacker that owns/listens on 420.69.13.13 now has your password? This attack would work if someone clicked the link on a website though, not just from a Zoom chat?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Zoom: oh hey you got a link for meeting

Link: \\420.69.13.13\C$

Your system: *attempts to log in*

how did you get my IP address

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I thought everyone knew that your computer would broadcast an IP address unless you have several layers of third-party security software installed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

how did you get my IP address
Very advanced tactics, OP.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I thought everyone knew that your computer would broadcast an IP address unless you have several layers of third-party security software installed.
Well, I have good news! Any modern processor has at least two OS' installed, and sometimes 3: MINIX, Windows, and Linux (WSL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Minix is Intel. What does AMD run?