Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s one person on the IOC making a suggestion, it hasn’t officially happened yet. The ball started rolling when others said “we may have to delay” and then yesterday the Canadian and Australian Olympic Committees said they wouldn’t send teams to a summer 2020 games and suggested it be delayed a year.

It’s not 100% officially done and moved - yet. But that seems the best and smartest thing to do. Tokyo gets an Olympics, other events slide around a bit, and there’s time to tackle the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
They should delay two years since we’re still 12-18 months from a vaccine. But I’d bet they delay one year.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Winter and Summer Olympics being in the same year is bad for maximum grift.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
It was also just one person making a suggestion to close the schools and welp.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan owes Canada and Australia some beers for speaking up first. Arigato, mates.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No problem, happy to do my part.

Now send me some konbini choco-pan and we call it even.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So has Koike shut the city down yet or what?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

So has Koike shut the city down yet or what?

不要不急の外出自粛要請した

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
不要不急の外出自粛って何?強制的な措置なの?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

No asobi

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

不要不急の外出自粛って何?強制的な措置なの?

Means they get to decide what it means, same as every other law in Japan.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

good news, stringent:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
nothing short of armed guards are keeping saitama out of tokyo on a weekend

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

i mean, stopping the trains would help, but they'll never do that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
they'd walk if they had to

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Life imitates art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoX79t7D9Ho

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol, i'd forgot about that

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
so my sister has decided to return to vancouver island. i think she's planning on leaving saturday. dropped this bomb on me this morning. what the gently caress.

i honestly don't know what the hell to do. i'm from nashville, tn. so that's two long haul flights. we both have type 1 diabetes (i have convinced myself that i will get covid-19 and die). my visa is up may 4th or 5th. i'm terrified of traveling right now. i'm terrified of staying here. staying put seems safer, but what if i can't get back home when my visa is up? no one can predict the future. if i knew now what i new in february, i would have canceled the trip. maybe i should have left a week ago, two weeks ago, but what can you do? i'm here now.

i know y'all can't give me the answers. i have to make a really tough decision. i don't know what i'm looking for posting here. maybe just to vent? she told me this four hours ago and i feel like i have to make a decision NOW. i can barely process this.

if you read this, thanks. sorry to e/n this thread up. i know we're all dealing with a lot of uncertainty and anxiety right now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If your trip is just vacation, the US government has advised people in your situation to return home. If you’re working or in an internship, you should discuss cutting it short but head home.

Japan is about to uncover worse numbers. The US isn’t great, but it’s home — you’ll know a lot more what to do, and will have a support structure. It sounds like at least part of the stress is being on the other side of the world. I would look into moving the return up ASAP.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If flying is your fear most reports have said it's very unlikely you will catch it on a plane unless the person literally right next to you has it and they're actively coughing on you and you're touching your face constantly after touching things they cough on.

Planes generally filter the air inside so they're clean-ish and the chance of human to human transmission isn't as high as people make it out.

Also right now most international flights are pretty loving empty so chances are no one will be anywhere near you!

I do not think Japan will be giving anyone visa extensions so you should explore ways out while they still exist and make the right decision for you.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spanish Inquisition posted:

so my sister has decided to return to vancouver island. i think she's planning on leaving saturday. dropped this bomb on me this morning. what the gently caress.

i honestly don't know what the hell to do. i'm from nashville, tn. so that's two long haul flights. we both have type 1 diabetes (i have convinced myself that i will get covid-19 and die). my visa is up may 4th or 5th. i'm terrified of traveling right now. i'm terrified of staying here. staying put seems safer, but what if i can't get back home when my visa is up? no one can predict the future. if i knew now what i new in february, i would have canceled the trip. maybe i should have left a week ago, two weeks ago, but what can you do? i'm here now.

i know y'all can't give me the answers. i have to make a really tough decision. i don't know what i'm looking for posting here. maybe just to vent? she told me this four hours ago and i feel like i have to make a decision NOW. i can barely process this.

if you read this, thanks. sorry to e/n this thread up. i know we're all dealing with a lot of uncertainty and anxiety right now.

That's a tough spot to be in. Things are changing fast but not that fast, so why don't you take a night to think about it? When you do decide to leave, if you can't find masks and gloves for the trip home I can give you some, just hit me up in line chat.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

I do not think Japan will be giving anyone visa extensions so you should explore ways out while they still exist and make the right decision for you.

A very different subset of gaijins but they've already done it for GEACPS slavesTechnical Interns.
https://www.ssnp.co.jp/news/frozen/2020/03/2020-0325-1300-14.html

I would be quite surprised if whatever officer at the emigration counter decides to give some tourist overstaying their visa for a few weeks hell, considering the circumstances.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

A very different subset of gaijins but they've already done it for GEACPS slavesTechnical Interns.
https://www.ssnp.co.jp/news/frozen/2020/03/2020-0325-1300-14.html

I would be quite surprised if whatever officer at the emigration counter decides to give some tourist overstaying their visa for a few weeks hell, considering the circumstances.

Yeah, people who are over for other reasons make sense? China's also given basically everyone with a non-tourist visa a 60 day no questions asked extension for similar reasons.

Japan stopped the tourist waiver program and stopped giving out tourist visas at all, iirc, so it's unlikely tourists would get much in the way of a respite here.

Again it's up to the dudes in charge but I wouldn't put "overstay your visa" as a thing to do here unless it's absolutely necessary.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

School administrators in Sapporo are determining whether to let students wear non-white facial masks in class, I wouldn’t underestimate Japanese bureaucracy doing something stupid in all this.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

blue for boys pink for girls uwu

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

If flying is your fear most reports have said it's very unlikely you will catch it on a plane unless the person literally right next to you has it and they're actively coughing on you and you're touching your face constantly after touching things they cough on.

Planes generally filter the air inside so they're clean-ish and the chance of human to human transmission isn't as high as people make it out.

Also right now most international flights are pretty loving empty so chances are no one will be anywhere near you!

thank you for replying. the delta and american airlines flights i'm scoping out for this weekend seem pretty booked.i don't know that i'll be blessed with a full row to myself, but what can you do?

yeah, i really don't want to overstay my visa.

harperdc posted:

If your trip is just vacation, the US government has advised people in your situation to return home. If you’re working or in an internship, you should discuss cutting it short but head home.

Japan is about to uncover worse numbers. The US isn’t great, but it’s home — you’ll know a lot more what to do, and will have a support structure. It sounds like at least part of the stress is being on the other side of the world. I would look into moving the return up ASAP.

i think you hit the nail on the head. i feel a bit more alienated and less informed here. but the situation home seems worse. just more to consider. thanks for replying!

LyonsLions posted:

That's a tough spot to be in. Things are changing fast but not that fast, so why don't you take a night to think about it? When you do decide to leave, if you can't find masks and gloves for the trip home I can give you some, just hit me up in line chat.

thank you, that's an incredibly kind and generous offer! my people back home are starting to wake up, so i'll talk it over with them in a bit and hopefully come to a conclusion tomorrow.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

harperdc posted:

Tell them to hurry the gently caress up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's weird how as soon as the Olympics were delayed suddenly Japan had coronavirus and started doing quarantines. :iiam:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

It's weird how as soon as the Olympics were delayed suddenly Japan had coronavirus and started doing quarantines. :iiam:

I've mentioned that to a few Japanese people and they seemed like they were perfectly aware of it to the point that it was gauche to bring up.

Japan Inc. is a juggernaut.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Don't worry about catching it in the plane, just start googling for stories about immigration queues during the pandemic and look at those. That'll calm your nerves.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The immigration queues are better now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ntan1 posted:

The immigration queues are better now.

Yeah, but you should see the lines at the ER!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
There aren't any.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Except I live in the state that is possibly handling this the best, CA. (and more specifically, SF bay area which has had hospitals report that they have less people than usual because nobody is out partying).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the la metro is doing pretty relatively good too, thankfully

it's weird how things work somewhat more smoothly when your leaders take serious things seriously??

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Don't worry about catching it in the plane, just start googling for stories about immigration queues during the pandemic and look at those. That'll calm your nerves.

this is my concern, and the train ride to the airport.

the united states is a complete and total poo poo show right now. i'm still going back and forth on staying or leaving, tbh. i'm at the point where i would almost rather be banned from japan for 5-10 years than go home tomorrow. there are seats available on the flight i've bookmarked, so i still have some time to think it over i guess. i'm talking with friends and family back home today, too.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Spanish Inquisition posted:

this is my concern, and the train ride to the airport.

the united states is a complete and total poo poo show right now. i'm still going back and forth on staying or leaving, tbh. i'm at the point where i would almost rather be banned from japan for 5-10 years than go home tomorrow. there are seats available on the flight i've bookmarked, so i still have some time to think it over i guess. i'm talking with friends and family back home today, too.

If you’re that concerned than consider a visa run to South Korea if they’re letting people from Japan in

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Applying for an extension in Tokyo would be easier (after you book new flights).
But I agree, next week seems like an awful time to fly back to the US…

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you’re that concerned than consider a visa run to South Korea if they’re letting people from Japan in

They are and you get a free test for the virus! (and a not free 14 day quarantine!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

peanut posted:

Applying for an extension in Tokyo would be easier (after you book new flights).
But I agree, next week seems like an awful time to fly back to the US…

i'm looking at booking a flight for tomorrow. everyone at home seems to think it's better i return. with my sister leaving sunday, it feels like i'll have no support system. you goons have been great, i cannot thank you enough. all my people are asleep when i need/want them... maybe i am letting my anxiety get the best of me.

staying still seems safer, but the uncertainty surrounding my return is really wearing on me. i don't think i'll have the resources i need to do a visa reset trip and find somewhere to live when i return. unfortunately, when i take everything into account, it looks like i just need to leave asap.

again, i really appreciate everyone who took time to read and reply to my freaking out. maybe y'all can light some incense or something for my safe return.