Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Ordered two pullman loaf pans with lids. Amazon says they won't arrive until April 23rd.

I'm kind of upset by this. Here I am stuck in my house jonesing for some sandwich bread and now I am going to have wait a WHOLE MONTH eating inferior home made baked goods or risking my life to go to the grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In the spirit of loving up, the coches showed up the other day ... and my wife gad them tossed into the washer. So now we're trying to stretch them back out and iron them in hopes of restoring them. Fortunately, I didn't start flouring them.

:sever:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is your yeast old/are you adding water too warm and killing off most of it?

I should do a side-by-side on this but i think this is mostly a myth. I add water to my dough as hot as the tap will go (which is pretty f'ing hot) and it's never once killed my yeast.

For what it's worth i personally wouldn't bother filtering tap water. Microbes like extra nutrients and minerals. Not that I think that's your problem, but.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Quick question, what are some examples of it being warm or cold in the room with regard to proofing* time? I keep my apartment at 75 because I lived in Arizona and my internal thermometer is broken and I feel like my dough grows significantly faster than what recipes are telling me.

Edit: Prove? Proof? Proving?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 26, 2020

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Murgos posted:

Ordered two pullman loaf pans with lids. Amazon says they won't arrive until April 23rd.

I'm kind of upset by this. Here I am stuck in my house jonesing for some sandwich bread and now I am going to have wait a WHOLE MONTH eating inferior home made baked goods or risking my life to go to the grocery store.

It seems like every single product on amazon has a delivery date of April 23 now, it’s nuts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rolo posted:

Quick question, what are some examples of it being warm or cold in the room with regard to proofing* time? I keep my apartment at 75 because I lived in Arizona and my internal thermometer is broken and I feel like my dough grows significantly faster than what recipes are telling me.

Edit: Prove? Proof? Proving?

Proof, proofing, usually. Though I tend to just say ferment these days.

"Standard" room temp in north america is about 72F, though it's obviously going to vary. Other properties that will impact rise times are where in your kitchen (I assume) you're fermenting your dough, what flour you use, what and how much yeast, etc.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

For what it's worth i personally wouldn't bother filtering tap water. Microbes like extra nutrients and minerals. Not that I think that's your problem, but.

Oh no. This well water is not good. The toilet and shower are typically orange within a week or so. It is Very Very hard; the filter looks like it's filled with sand when I change it out. I wouldn't drink it without the double filtration, and other people on the property don't drink it all and just buy bottled.

I've had the bread curse since before I lived her though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

Oh no. This well water is not good. The toilet and shower are typically orange within a week or so. It is Very Very hard; the filter looks like it's filled with sand when I change it out. I wouldn't drink it without the double filtration, and other people on the property don't drink it all and just buy bottled.

I've had the bread curse since before I lived her though.

Have you tried making bread with it, though? If it's safe to drink and is just really hard, I'd try it regardless.

Anyway I do find this strange. What brand of yeast do you use (honestly not that it should really matter)?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Tried to make something without a bread pan and learned a few things not to do lol.

:distonk:

Gonna eat it though.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Rolo posted:

Tried to make something without a bread pan and learned a few things not to do lol.

Gonna eat it though.

looks good to me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rolo posted:

Gonna eat it though.

Haha, what's the problem, that it split? Who cares, it looks great!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thank you! I’m really enjoying the learning process and can’t wait to tackle something like sourdough.

I’m gonna make some big slices with this one that I can add butter and garlic to, probably serve with spaghetti that I’ll make in bulk and have tons of meals left over. I’ve also been pleasantly surprised how well these freeze and thaw.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

Have you tried making bread with it, though? If it's safe to drink and is just really hard, I'd try it regardless.

Anyway I do find this strange. What brand of yeast do you use (honestly not that it should really matter)?

Currently, Fleischman's Active Dry.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm on like day 10 of following this recipe and while the proto-starter isn't smelling bad (it's yeasty/vinegary) it's also not doubling in size or being very active. It gets a bit bubbly, that's it. Won't rise much more than a cm. I'm wondering if the yeast just isn't getting a foothold because the temp is too low and I discard and feed every 12 hours, so I branched out; I got one on the kitchen counter than I'm gonna hydrate a little less, stir and have a loose unsealed lid on and the recipe one in the bathroom at like 21-23 centigrade which I'm gonna feed 1:1:1 by weight, keep sealed (as per beer brewing standard) and not touch.

We'll see how it goes. I really really want to try baking a no-knead sourdough bread with my very own yeast.

Yeah. So the recipe one went nowhere. The one I hydrated a little less and fed only once a day and stirred that was on my kitchen counter dobled after 24 hours, and doubled again 12 hours after feeding with a nice bready/yeasty smell to it no stirring required. I assume it good to go, so if it doubles this evening I am baking my first ever sourdough bread! :dance:

E: it is now rising too quickly and is doubling every 4 hours. I've moved it further away from my flour storage just in case. I may have created a monster.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 27, 2020

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’ve been buying bags of Eastern European flour from a local market (medium-sized grocery with lots of euro stuff) for a while. It’s labeled T-400, anybody know what grade that would be equivalent to? It’s just the slightest hint yellow (even though it says “extra white/Екстра бело” according to google translate).

It makes my no-knead bread well enough, but I’m curious how it compares to the typical US flour spectrum.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I’ve been buying bags of Eastern European flour from a local market (medium-sized grocery with lots of euro stuff) for a while. It’s labeled T-400, anybody know what grade that would be equivalent to? It’s just the slightest hint yellow (even though it says “extra white/Екстра бело” according to google translate).

It makes my no-knead bread well enough, but I’m curious how it compares to the typical US flour spectrum.

Some googling suggests it’s more akin to a soft or pastry flour, so, low ash, low protein. The yellow colour comes in part from probably being unbleached, and the rest from whatever variety of wheat they’re using to milk it from.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
As I baked my bread, I figured this was the appropriate place to post this, also too drat lazy to search for other threads. Finally made a grilled chz w/ my bread.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Today, I try to make baguettes according to the somebody who sounds like Winnie the Pooh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m08i8oXpFB0

His ciabatta method has been highly successful so I have high hopes. Still, it's hard to take the videos seriously when I expect him to screw up at any time and exclaim, "Oh, bother!"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Today, I try to make baguettes according to the somebody who sounds like Winnie the Pooh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m08i8oXpFB0

His ciabatta method has been highly successful so I have high hopes. Still, it's hard to take the videos seriously when I expect him to screw up at any time and exclaim, "Oh, bother!"

They look good. If you end up having trouble, I highly recommend following Reinhart’s pain à l’ancienne in he bread bakers apprentice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That Rouge de Bordeaux flour really does smell like cinnamon! I figured it was some faint note kind of thing but the inside of the bag smelled like cinnamon rolls.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got Flour Water Salt Yeast and Tartine Bread sitting in their delivery box quarantining and 20 lbs of flour and 2 jars of yeast arriving next week, gonna bake some breads

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That Rouge de Bordeaux flour really does smell like cinnamon! I figured it was some faint note kind of thing but the inside of the bag smelled like cinnamon rolls.

This is definitely a thing in some varieties. Red fife, a popular heritage variety from Canada, was originally Ukrainian in origin, and many remark that it has a cinnamon note.

A note about tartine, good bread authority but they’re also anti-unionist fuckwads.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I did make good bread, but I can't say I made baguettes. My wife really picked up the cinnamon in the final result so we're confused on what to really do with it. I thought the crumb was a little too regular. Like it was more like whole wheat with smaller, more regular bubbles. Oddly enough, I got nearly-perfect timings for the procedure and temperature with my wood-fired oven. The dough looked okay according to procedure but didn't have that nice, smooth, shiny taffy affect I was expecting. I actually don't think it was completely kneaded.

The crust wasn't particularly tough so I see a future battle with steam. I was trying to use a dutch oven full of water. It definitely was steaming; I was getting a lot out of the smokestack. I just don't think that steam was reaching down to the oven floor and hitting the bread.

I also got surprisingly low oven spring. The loaves are flat and wide. They didn't really bounce in the oven. I also had a failure with scoring. I had tried to use a double-edged safety razor blade and it didn't appear to cut deep enough. The bread basically cooked around the cuts and they disappeared. I felt the bread could have also been tougher.

I intend to try again with a more conventional flour and a different cutting method. The steam situation is something I'll have to play with. It'll probably like smoking meat where I got insanely better results if I put the food in a pan suspended right under the chimney. Then it hits the convection stream and everything in it.

This particular flour, however, will be serving a very important purpose in making cinnamon rolls and sweeter stuff. I wish I had used it for the kolaches.

The coches helped a lot. No issues with sticking.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You need a way to keep the steam in. Commercial bread ovens have levers to pull to open the vent and let rhe steam out or you just open the door up when the lever inevitable breaks.
It should look like a steam room in the oven for the first 1/4 of your baking time then vent the steam and let it finish. Rotate the loaves around 1/2 way through if your oven is uneven.

This is just one batch from a place I used to work at. We'd bake 2 or 3 of those size batches every night for dinner service and on weekends 4 of that size batch in the morning for brunch 2 for lunch and another 4 for dinner.

I wish I had a crumb shot. Beautifully open structure. That's probably the thing I miss most about not working there anymore is leaving with a fresh baguette every day.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Trip report: the making of my very first bread (for the last 20 years at least)

So my sourdough starter seemed to do fine, so as promised I tried to make a bread like a basic no-knead thing I read was good for beginners.

Having no idea what was good or what looked right, I tried my best to follow directions except I made it with half whole wheat since that's more healthier.

The result:

Tasty! The crust was really crunchy and chewy and the flavour was lovely. The inlaws happened by, conceivably provoked by snapchat not of my doing, and the entire loaf is no more. Just... gone.

Sourdough bread is approved for breakfast!

Baking is really a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I've already started on a new dough.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had some way over-ripe bananas and never knew banana bread is as simple as it is (at least this recipe was.) It was more a batter than a dough.

Smelled good, tastes great!

I am taking a break until I can catch up on eating all this bread. In the meantime I’m going to find some online reading about sourdough and ciabatta.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Hopes Fall posted:

Thanks for the link! From what I saw, it's almost definitely overproofing. I'm trying to find a sweet spot for preheating my oven to slightly warmer than room temp, for proofing purposes, and I was definitely a bit impatient.

My house is pretty cold, rarely warmer than 65f this time of year, so I'm experimenting with preheating the oven to 170, then shutting it off for a bit beforehand. I think it was still too warm on the second rise.

Hopes Fall posted:

Every single time I've tried a cold ferment it has failed. 0 lift and rock hard consistency, even on poo poo like pizza dough and overnight waffles. For whatever reason, the oven proof is the thing I've been halfway successful with, aside from the occasions that counter-proofing has worked because it was A. Uncomfortably warm in the house, or B. I was cooking/boiling water/creating lots of ambient heat at the same time anyway.

For what its worth, I had problems with this for a while and it really was that the yeast was bad or wasn't happy with my apartment or whatever. I had a lot of similar issues, my tests of the yeast were all fine and occasionally I'd get a half decent loaf. Basically, everything you seem to be saying. I switched to Red Star yeast and bought new flour and these problems went more or less away.

As to the warm place to proof. My brother does what you do with the oven and likes the results. I have a microwave over my stove, so I put the kettle on and let the rising steam warm the microwave and leave the dough in there. My food thermometer says it is in the low 80s F in there and my rises are much more consistent.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Rolo posted:

I had some way over-ripe bananas and never knew banana bread is as simple as it is (at least this recipe was.) It was more a batter than a dough.

It's really just banana loaf cake, still tasty. The recipe I always use asks for buttermilk or soured milk, it's just (that amount of milk + scant tsp of vinegar.)

If you want to add chocolate chips or walnuts or something, dust them in a little flour before adding to the batter or they'll sink and not be evenly spread.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I had an open bag of ~18 month old bread flour hiding in the back of my pantry, so I used it for sourdough in lieu of scouring empty shelves at grocery stores. The bake and crumb look good, but the oven spring is noticeably less than prior bakes with newer flour.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Thumposaurus posted:

You need a way to keep the steam in. Commercial bread ovens have levers to pull to open the vent and let rhe steam out or you just open the door up when the lever inevitable breaks.
It should look like a steam room in the oven for the first 1/4 of your baking time then vent the steam and let it finish. Rotate the loaves around 1/2 way through if your oven is uneven.
I'm doing this in a wood-fired oven so this is going to get tricky. I didn't keep the door shut though, and the door does shut pretty well. So I will be trying that during the next bake. Regardless, I'm going to switch out the flour too so I'm working with something I expect more. The comedy option is to drop the loaves into a pan and prop that up right under the flue. There's a very strong convection current there that I've discovered which should apply a lot of steam, but it may come at the cost of raw heat.

What surprised me was I had less chew on the crust that I do when I make ciabatta, and I'm not doing anything in particular towards its crust. The dough is even less hydrated than the baguette (85% vs 65%).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm doing this in a wood-fired oven so this is going to get tricky. I didn't keep the door shut though, and the door does shut pretty well. So I will be trying that during the next bake. Regardless, I'm going to switch out the flour too so I'm working with something I expect more. The comedy option is to drop the loaves into a pan and prop that up right under the flue. There's a very strong convection current there that I've discovered which should apply a lot of steam, but it may come at the cost of raw heat.

What surprised me was I had less chew on the crust that I do when I make ciabatta, and I'm not doing anything in particular towards its crust. The dough is even less hydrated than the baguette (85% vs 65%).

You definitely need to keep the door shut, if you can without smoking out your fire (obvs I don’t know how your oven is built). If you could set them on a rack or cooling rack that’s sitting above a small pre-heated pan to pour your water into, I think you’d have better luck.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Foccacia and challah cinnamon raisin.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Foccacia and challah cinnamon raisin.

That challah, gently caress yeah

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mediaphage posted:

You definitely need to keep the door shut, if you can without smoking out your fire (obvs I don’t know how your oven is built). If you could set them on a rack or cooling rack that’s sitting above a small pre-heated pan to pour your water into, I think you’d have better luck.

Extra bit: I realized just now that I had also built the reveal between the front and the dome so that I could install a plug door for this kind of thing. I was going to make a plug with an atomizer so I could just run a garden hose in and have it mist like a motherfucker. My current door is at the very front so it's ahead of the flue.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Second attempt at making bread ever, based on videos and tips itt, another no-knead sourdough.

Sorry for the gratuituous crumbshot. It came out really nice, though I think I ought to have let it stay in there a bit longer. It was really moist, almost too soft, and really chewy almost rubbery but not in any way unpleasant. Disappointingly, almost no sourdough flavour and I have no idea why. This one I let proof in the refrigerator, and quite long, and I might not have had the patience to let it rest a full hour. Or I simply should have baked it longer. Still, very tasty, airy and stringy. Overall, I'm very happy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Second attempt at making bread ever, based on videos and tips itt, another no-knead sourdough.

Sorry for the gratuituous crumbshot. It came out really nice, though I think I ought to have let it stay in there a bit longer. It was really moist, almost too soft, and really chewy almost rubbery but not in any way unpleasant. Disappointingly, almost no sourdough flavour and I have no idea why. This one I let proof in the refrigerator, and quite long, and I might not have had the patience to let it rest a full hour. Or I simply should have baked it longer. Still, very tasty, airy and stringy. Overall, I'm very happy.

Looks nice, maybe a bit underbaked.

If you want to make it sour, just let it ferment in the fridge longer. A day or three won't kill it. Generally, you can get sour-er ferments in cool temperatures because it slows down yeast activity more than it slows down bacterial activity. Do you keep your starter in the fridge or at room temperature?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mediaphage posted:

Looks nice, maybe a bit underbaked.

If you want to make it sour, just let it ferment in the fridge longer. A day or three won't kill it. Generally, you can get sour-er ferments in cool temperatures because it slows down yeast activity more than it slows down bacterial activity. Do you keep your starter in the fridge or at room temperature?

Well, I just now got the sourdough starter to live, so to speak, so both? The one I used here was refrigerated then fed once and left for like 3 hours until it doubled. The dough was proofed cold over night, maybe 15 hours.

My starter is now left in the fridge.

Thanks for the advice, looks like this bread needs 55 mins at the minimum.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Well, I just now got the sourdough starter to live, so to speak, so both? The one I used here was refrigerated then fed once and left for like 3 hours until it doubled. The dough was proofed cold over night, maybe 15 hours.

My starter is now left in the fridge.

Thanks for the advice, looks like this bread needs 55 mins at the minimum.

Ah yeah, between keeping the starter in the fridge and doing a day or two ferment in the fridge, I think you’ll get the sour you’re looking for right quick.

55 minutes, I assume you mean in the oven? If you’ve got a thermometer you can poke it with, a good range for me is generally around 205°F / 96°C.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mediaphage posted:

Ah yeah, between keeping the starter in the fridge and doing a day or two ferment in the fridge, I think you’ll get the sour you’re looking for right quick.

55 minutes, I assume you mean in the oven? If you’ve got a thermometer you can poke it with, a good range for me is generally around 205°F / 96°C.

I do, very good in deed. For my next try this will hopefully help. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

First attempt at sourdough, rye starter. Very happy with the result, perhaps a touch dark. Will bake another one tomorrow.

Question for the thread: I made the rye starter according to this guide, which results in a small amount of starter, approx. 120g. The bread recipe is from the same site and uses only 15g of starter for the poolish.

I was wondering how to use up the remaining starter before throwing part of it out for the feeding and wanted to try sourdough pancakes. However, the recipes I found all asked for like a cup of starter / 240g, even with an overnight fermentation. I don’t really want to maintain a huge amount of starter all the time, is there a way around this? Can i just take a bit of my mature culture a day before and bring it up to 240g in total?