Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Policenaut posted:

Yeah it's hard to even broach the conversation of Gears being worst Xeno (it's not) when Xenosaga 1 and 2 both exist and are both worse than it.

Out of curiosity, what about xenosaga 3 (which i never removed from the shrink wrap)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

arms

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anybody posted a trip report of Panzer Dragoon yet?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Xad posted:

None of this is unique to ARMS though, it's just a problem universal to basically all fighting games

That's the whole crux of it, ARMS is essentially a traditional fighting game, with all that it entails, it just seems weird since it doesn't look like your average fighting game, plus it's developed by Nintendo whose only other major fighting game is Smash Bros.

For a fighting game ARMS did decent numbers. It might have a bigger following if it had more content and had more than a month to stand out on its own before drowning in Spla2n hype, but there's always ARMS 2 ARMS.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

oops wrong thread!! it was about ac but I was a moron and figured it out. nothing to see here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

so is ocarina of time but everyone loves that game

There are no cutscenes or you in a chair in OoT

I think

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are no cutscenes or you in a chair in OoT

I think

What about Final Fantasy VII

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gears is much worse than Xeno what are you on about.

It’s blatantly unfinished.

You can say the finished game could have been better but we will never know

negativeneil posted:

It's a 50 hour RPG that would've been a 70 hour RPG. The first 50 hours are finished and they're better than any single part of xenosaga. Hth

It's this. Disc 2 is unfinished in a content sense but they hit all the story beats they wanted to tell because that's what they did with their remaining budget. So you don't get dungeons for abridged locations like the Mass Rail Driver, Mahanon, Golgotha, or the first half of the final dungeon but you get all the story bits that happen between them. Xenosaga 2's Disc 2 does far worse with the abridged setup than Gears ever could, as at least Gears didn't introduce multiple party members, playable robots, and drastically shift the plot in a single line of dialogue.

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, what about xenosaga 3 (which i never removed from the shrink wrap)?

I think Xenosaga 3 is fantastic! I replayed the entire Xeno franchise last year for the anniversary (belatedly) and it was the game that really stuck out to me as feeling the most improved over when I last played it.

A lot of it has to do with MSI going back to Xenogears to find what people liked about that game and applying it to Xenosaga, which means that the combat system is a lot faster, snappier, and spends less time in cutscenes while also finally refining an Extra Turn mechanic that kind of works for once. I can't say enough about how fun it felt to fight in this game compared to 1 and 2, and the robots got a much bigger focus this time with shinier, newer ones and an expanded combat system with a different aesthetic where everyone's floating and flying around. It feels so much cooler than previous games in the line where the robots just stand there.

The plot pushes hard forward to make up for wasting an entire game that didn't amount to much, but unfortunately since they had to cut to 3 games from 6 they had to abridge an entire game's worth of content into codex you're expected to understand. If you're willing to look past that and play along, you get a cool sci-fi galactic apocalypse story with some gonzo time travel, corporate warfare, and urgent spacebound adventure that delivers some exciting payoffs to the stuff they set up in the first two games. If you're into Gears they also brought back a bunch of plot points, characters, robots, bosses, and dungeons from that game and tied them into Saga properly (which fits because Gears had a big element of time being a flat circle and everything happened before happens again yadda yadda).

I could rave about it more but it's easily like my 3rd favorite game in the whole multi-franchise series and a great finale for the Saga franchise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody posted a trip report of Panzer Dragoon yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRUhOmxdsKc
Looks excellent in this comparison.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Arms didn’t flop. I don’t know why people keep thinking that. It sold millions.

Perhaps not when viewed through the lens of "it sold fairly well during a games drought"; it was an early first party game and a tech showcase - games like that tend to sell okay during launch periods. See: Knack.

But when compared to Splatoon 2 (a game which was released one month later and is also a relatively "new" Nintendo IP), which has been a consistent sales chart presence around the world for nearly 3 years now and is beyond 10 million copies, ARMS doesn't look too great. Which sucks because I like when Nintendo takes chances on new things.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I didn't say anything about xenosaga because I didn't get far enough into it to really form a opinion

Xenogears I played after hearing how great it is and it's awful combat system and locking me into a sewer for half the game sucked rear end. It's writing was terrible all around and then when disc 2 hit it just died. I know it had troubled development so it's not like I can say it caught me off guard, but just how much was missing was staggering. I already hated the rest of the game because it's awful and bad so being sent to The Chair Zone just finished me off. I think I got to the final dungeon and then didn't even bother finishing it.

The entire game is just horribly unfinished and a good chunk of the characters forget their motivations randomly. The rat guy you meet in the sewers that betrays you being a prime example as his motives and entire character changes like 4 times before he finally dies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I get nostalgia is a thing but I can’t see how anyone can see the chair zone and call it basically finished.

It’s honestly almost unplayable

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lmao, "unplayable" because it turns into a visual novel for a little bit after 40 hours. That's a huge exaggeration

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sorry you can’t accept it.

Maybe you would if I put it in a large wall of text?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shinsekai: Into the Depths looks pretty neat. Seems like 2D subnautica which would be pretty rad. Anybody have impressions to share?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I think Xenosaga 3 is fantastic! I replayed the entire Xeno franchise last year for the anniversary (belatedly) and it was the game that really stuck out to me as feeling the most improved over when I last played it.

A lot of it has to do with MSI going back to Xenogears to find what people liked about that game and applying it to Xenosaga, which means that the combat system is a lot faster, snappier, and spends less time in cutscenes while also finally refining an Extra Turn mechanic that kind of works for once. I can't say enough about how fun it felt to fight in this game compared to 1 and 2, and the robots got a much bigger focus this time with shinier, newer ones and an expanded combat system with a different aesthetic where everyone's floating and flying around. It feels so much cooler than previous games in the line where the robots just stand there.

The plot pushes hard forward to make up for wasting an entire game that didn't amount to much, but unfortunately since they had to cut to 3 games from 6 they had to abridge an entire game's worth of content into codex you're expected to understand. If you're willing to look past that and play along, you get a cool sci-fi galactic apocalypse story with some gonzo time travel, corporate warfare, and urgent spacebound adventure that delivers some exciting payoffs to the stuff they set up in the first two games. If you're into Gears they also brought back a bunch of plot points, characters, robots, bosses, and dungeons from that game and tied them into Saga properly (which fits because Gears had a big element of time being a flat circle and everything happened before happens again yadda yadda).

I could rave about it more but it's easily like my 3rd favorite game in the whole multi-franchise series and a great finale for the Saga franchise.

You've got me wanting to replay Xenosaga 3 here.

I played them all when they originally came out when I was in college and I remember being super hooked on the story, but I just don't remember too much of the games anymore. Honestly barely remember if I actually liked Xenosaga 3 a lot but the way you describe it it sounds like I would if I went back to it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Augus posted:

Shinsekai: Into the Depths looks pretty neat. Seems like 2D subnautica which would be pretty rad. Anybody have impressions to share?

It was pretty well received on Apple Arcade I remember. I'm sure it would be much more enjoyable to play on Switch.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Augus posted:

If you can wait a little less than a month, I'm getting it then. I want to clear out my back log a bit, and I figure I'd be patient for my birthday.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Harrow posted:

I played them all when they originally came out when I was in college and I remember being super hooked on the story, but I just don't remember too much of the games anymore. Honestly barely remember if I actually liked Xenosaga 3 a lot but the way you describe it it sounds like I would if I went back to it.

Yeah, like a lot of people I fell hook, line, and sinker for Tetsuya Takahashi's brand of pseudo-religious 90s anime sci-fi robot space adventure and it's definitely fun to experience. If I ever had to go back to Xenosaga again I'd definitely just watch a summary of 1 and 2 then just play 3 because of how evolved its gameplay is over the first two.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OMGWAHT

downloading Bravely Default II at home while I'm still at work because this is the future

Them doing the free demo and the responses is GREAT. they really listened with Octopath and I'm glad they're doing it again.

My Response is already WHERE THE gently caress IS EDEA? Mrgrgrrr.....

But seriously

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Harrow posted:

I only played Xenosaga 1 but had a fun enough time with it. It and the .hack games pop up in memory from time to time as games I'd like to play again except I don't have the time I had in highschool and past time I tried .hack I was hit with the realization that it aged like milk

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

OMGWAHT

downloading Bravely Default II at home while I'm still at work because this is the future

Them doing the free demo and the responses is GREAT. they really listened with Octopath and I'm glad they're doing it again.

My Response is already WHERE THE gently caress IS EDEA? Mrgrgrrr.....

But seriously

Octopath was not made by the bravely devs, square just really wanted you to think it was

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ErrEff posted:

Perhaps not when viewed through the lens of "it sold fairly well during a games drought"; it was an early first party game and a tech showcase - games like that tend to sell okay during launch periods. See: Knack.

But when compared to Splatoon 2 (a game which was released one month later and is also a relatively "new" Nintendo IP), which has been a consistent sales chart presence around the world for nearly 3 years now and is beyond 10 million copies, ARMS doesn't look too great. Which sucks because I like when Nintendo takes chances on new things.

Splatoon 2 is the sequel to one of Nintendo's biggest ips on their 2nd worst system. A couple million isn't some launch day guarantee. Google some fighting game numbers like blaz blue or guilty gear. Besides Tekken and mortal Kombat(which relies on big aaa ips and story mode and dlcs), it's one of the biggest best selling fighter on the market, especially for a new game with a limited cast. And Nintendo obviously is happy with it, that should be all that matters, save the rest for resetera.

Try it out, it's free, and is frankly pretty innovative with how responsive the motion control fighting scheme is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Octopath was not made by the bravely devs, square just really wanted you to think it was

ehh I didn't claim or mean to imply otherwise.

"they" is either squeenix or just WHOMEVER

I'm glad other games are following the model of
Release Demo
People Play and are rewarded with Survey
Actually Listen to feedback and make QoL improvements

This is a very, very good thing

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNMS9bMX60Q

here's some dude playing the first two stages of Panzer Dragoon.

looks cool, but it doesn't look like there are any extras or anything, and I don't think you can save or use checkpoints. I'm assuming limited continues place you back at the start of the level?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There was a Direct today?

Missed that

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There was a Direct today?

Missed that

It even had a few “It’s available now!” moments, get on the store.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Holy poo poo! Love me some Shiren. I think this was rumored a year ago for a Steam release during the Steam for China announcement.

Shinsekai and Panzer Dragoon are the only games I’m interested in from this direct. Never played Panzer, is it a super short game?

Also are you supposed to use motion controls for ARMS or is it more fun with just buttons? Going to try it out after work.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Social Animal posted:

Also are you supposed to use motion controls for ARMS or is it more fun with just buttons? Going to try it out after work.
You can do either, but the motion controls are actually pretty good and there's a few tricks you can only do with them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now that the hype has down, is Octopath worth it at 50% off?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

A slow-paced Metroidvania by the sound of it. It's more about survival than constant action. Apple Arcade reviews are favorable.

It looks and plays like a forgotten downloadable 360/PS3/Wii game. I don't mean that in a negative way, it's just got that vibe. The smaller scope and more methodical pace of it also reminds me of when Capcom was doing experimental stuff in the PS2 days.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

eonwe posted:

It's a good game, with some problems, if you like JRPGs of the SaGa/FFV persuasion.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

it was worth it at 0% off if you like the sort of thing that it is

it's a really great one of the thing that it is

it's really bad at being anything else, though, other than pretty, so if you don't like the thing that it is, it's not worth it at 50% off, no

it's good, though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Policenaut posted:

It's this. Disc 2 is unfinished in a content sense but they hit all the story beats they wanted to tell because that's what they did with their remaining budget. So you don't get dungeons for abridged locations like the Mass Rail Driver, Mahanon, Golgotha, or the first half of the final dungeon but you get all the story bits that happen between them. Xenosaga 2's Disc 2 does far worse with the abridged setup than Gears ever could, as at least Gears didn't introduce multiple party members, playable robots, and drastically shift the plot in a single line of dialogue.

This is pretty much why i originally bought them; that's the kind of story I was looking for.
Thanks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

eonwe posted:

The only thing everyone needs to experience is the music.

Otherwise, it's an excellent game if you're a fan of JRPG specifically the SNES era. It's a great game if you're a fan of JRPG's. You probably won't like it otherwise.

It's niche in that regard. I don't regret paying full price (selling it back net me enough to buy Dark Souls anyway), but half off makes it very easy to swallow, particularly if you like the genre.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

eonwe posted:

nah

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Octopath being 50% off in the NA eshop is interesting. Nintendo-published games almost never go under $40 on a sale whether they are first-party or not. Hopefully they're experimenting with doing larger sales.

Arms, like Mario Tennis, is a game I'm glad to get free for a few days. Was never going to buy it but I'm happy to try it out and be done with it. For people looking to get it, use the console eshop and get the game trial, not the demo. I don't think you can use the web store at all for this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is Good Job an exclusive, a timed exclusive, or something that no one cared about on other systems because it's bad? I can't find much on google due to the generic terms.

It looks interesting but at $20 I'd rather wait and let other people try it first.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Whatever came out of that EMT game this thread was jazzed about after a direct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is there anywhere besides the known big box stores and where I can buy a Switch right now? I saw them in lots of stores just a few weeks ago and now they are all gone.