Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

:stare: I don't get how anyone could think that's funny, that dude is clearly hosed up in some way. I'd probably be asking for a deep cleaning of the kitchen by a cleaning company to sanitize everything - they'll take it a lot more seriously if they realize that his "joke" is going to cost them a few thousand dollars (or more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Violence is never the answer but here it would have been an understandable response. :dogbutton:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
'm so rusty and lazy I cant remember how to do links, but Floyd Cardoz has died from COVID-19.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
https://people.com/food/famed-chef-floyd-cardoz-reportedly-dies-of-coronavirus-at-59/

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

:stare: I don't get how anyone could think that's funny, that dude is clearly hosed up in some way. I'd probably be asking for a deep cleaning of the kitchen by a cleaning company to sanitize everything - they'll take it a lot more seriously if they realize that his "joke" is going to cost them a few thousand dollars (or more)

I would do this, and also threaten to call the police/ my lawyer

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mike the TV posted:

I would do this, and also threaten to call the police/ my lawyer

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/...POWDJYMDNEAAYI/

Apparently some rear end in a top hat in NJ made this same "joke" to some retail employees and is now looking at 3-5 years in prison for terroristic threats. So yeah, calling the police is not an unheard of step for anyone lovely enough to do this.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah.. my brother works at that store.. always gotta be some loving piece of poo poo rich right wing jersey bank wanna be goomba jabroni like "George Falcone." gently caress you loving gently caress.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Had a repair guy come in today to fix one of the walk ins that was leaking. He told the people that I still had there for finishing the break down that he had the virus and wasn't telling his boss, that he went on a cruise and caught it, described symptoms, was taking medication etc. Was very serious and had a whole elaborate story. Touched all of our food, all kinds of equipment, had interacted with my entire staff.

My staff freaked out and basically ran, and my sous called me, I was already on the way in. After a few calls between our GM and the repair company, we find out he was joking! Making a funny joke! Haha!

I got in and tore him apart. Dude said he is "protected by jesus" and so can't get sick, so it's all a big joke to him. Ended up speaking to the dispatch manager who assured me they are taking every precaution, checking temps of their workers every morning etc etc. I told him that there is something wrong mentally and morally with the tech, and demanded his job. They said they will certainly be having a very serious discussion with the tech about his future with them. Manager was taking it very seriously and was audibly enraged.

Like what the gently caress. That's like screaming fire in a movie theater, or saying bomb on a an airplane post 9/11. Way to end your career over a Funny Joke Jimmy, you greasy loving slob piece of poo poo. Tell jesus I said hi when he sends you downstairs.

Maybe look into filing a police report? It's pretty clear he caused immense panic and fear to multiple people enough that they felt the need to leave the premises while there in a official job capacity.

There are tons of people pulling poo poo like this and laughing their rear end off and it's not going to stop until they realize they are flirting with years plural in prison. All the MAGA people and religious right "buy our $20 water to cure this" are proudly and defiantly mocking the people who say its serious and going out of their way to defy any health orders coming from authority.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I hate cops and frequently say "snitches get stitches" without irony, and even I think you should file a police report and potentially bring a hammer that nobody deserves (the American justice system) down on that idiot's head.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Hard disagree on one thing, friend: People who are this loving stupid/out of touch enough to think that doing something like this is in any way funny absolutely deserve to have it brought down on their head.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hard disagree on one thing, friend: People who are this loving stupid/out of touch enough to think that doing something like this is in any way funny absolutely deserve to have it brought down on their head.

I really want it to happen to him and those like him, but I also think nobody deserves it. I'll suffer having a bit of cognitive dissonance in exchange for the schadenfreude.

E: is this the road that leads to being a conservative?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
All that matters is we agree on the most important thing: that he should be punished for his dumbassery :hfive:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I will say this: the biggest difference between this recession and the ones we saw post-9/11 and in 08/09 is that people remember how quickly everything came crashing down and how long it took to unfuck it. My company is multi-unit and creditors are deferring loans, landlords are deferring rent, and the franchisor has deferred a full period's worth of royalties.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coasterphreak posted:

I will say this: the biggest difference between this recession and the ones we saw post-9/11 and in 08/09 is that people remember how quickly everything came crashing down and how long it took to unfuck it. My company is multi-unit and creditors are deferring loans, landlords are deferring rent, and the franchisor has deferred a full period's worth of royalties.

None of that is happening to people who have to pay rent on studios or one or two bedrooms.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skwirl posted:

None of that is happening to people who have to pay rent on studios or one or two bedrooms.

That is a valid point, and absolutely awful.

I hope it will change when residential landlords realize that they're going to have massive vacancy rates once they kick out everyone who can't make a rent payment because they work in an office building. This "stimulus" package is better than nothing, but it's not a long term solution.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mt union is waving dues until June so that's something good I guess:ohdear:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Coasterphreak posted:

That is a valid point, and absolutely awful.

I hope it will change when residential landlords realize that they're going to have massive vacancy rates once they kick out everyone who can't make a rent payment because they work in an office building. This "stimulus" package is better than nothing, but it's not a long term solution.

I think this is one of the biggest disconnects WRT to money in America. It comes back to every news story you've ever seen about how 60% of America (or whatever percentage) doesn't have the funds to cover a $500 emergency. This is the wake up call to that - and it's something I doubt most landlords have ever really thought about. Becoming a landlord is often sold to investors as a way to make returns while being mostly insulated from the stock market - and believe me when I say every major (and minor) city in the US has multiple people whose sole income is from being a residential landlord. I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of them are sighing in relief at this $1200 per person package thinking "Thank god, at least my tenants can afford one more month with me." I've known exactly 5 landlords that were also decent people - and plenty more who were trying to make the most money at the lowest cost.

(also a specific gently caress You goes out to Greystar on this one, thanks for trying to raise my rent by 40% over the course of 3 years awhile back)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The number of "Oh won't somebody PLEASE think of the poor landlords who still have to pay their mortgages??" posts I see on Nextdoor is too drat high. gently caress landlords. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo Rent seeking is immoral behavior. There's no such thing as a nice landlord unless you're paying zero dollars.

There's been a push here to buy gift cards from restaurants, to help them stay afloat. What's y'alls opinion on that vs. direct helping the laid off workers?

droll fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 26, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
[quote="droll" post=""503622850"]There's no such thing as a nice landlord unless you're paying zero dollars.
[/quote]

This is generally true, but there are some exceptions I think. For instance, my landlord moved out of state for family reasons and is renting us her condo, and our rent pays the mortgage and taxes at cost. She isn't making money off us at all.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

droll posted:

The number of "Oh won't somebody PLEASE think of the poor landlords who still have to pay their mortgages??" posts I see on Nextdoor is too drat high. gently caress landlords. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo Rent seeking is immoral behavior. There's no such thing as a nice landlord unless you're paying zero dollars.

There's been a push here to buy gift cards from restaurants, to help them stay afloat. What's y'alls opinion on that vs. direct helping the laid off workers?

Nazi Punks gently caress Off is also a v good Kennedys song. Really a lot of them are tbh.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

This is generally true, but there are some exceptions I think. For instance, my landlord moved out of state for family reasons and is renting us her condo, and our rent pays the mortgage and taxes at cost. She isn't making money off us at all.

I mean, she is making a condo off of you, though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Raikiri posted:

I mean, she is making a condo off of you, though.

Well sure, it isn't perfect, it IS a rental agreement. But it's the closest you can get to a good landlord I think.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

droll posted:

Rent seeking is immoral behavior. There's no such thing as a nice landlord unless you're paying zero dollars.

I don't understand this, can you explain? Do you mean during this emergency situation, or ever?

Not trying to be dense, just haven't heard this line of thinking before and am curious.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ishamael posted:

I don't understand this, can you explain? Do you mean during this emergency situation, or ever?

Not trying to be dense, just haven't heard this line of thinking before and am curious.

Ever. Buying housing and withholding it from people who need it for the sake of profit is immoral and wrong, and creates no new wealth or product. It is parasitic and leads to greater problems down the line. Landlords are bad in basically every situation.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 26, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ishamael posted:

The idea that you having money is justification to make money off of people who don't is immoral.

Or at least that's how I see it.

efb

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Ishamael posted:

The local food social media scene in my city are posting about buying restaurant gift cards from the restaurants despite not being able to use them, as like a temporary small loan or something to keep the restaurant afloat. My thinking is this goes into the pockets of the Owner and not the workers, and you may not have a restaurant to use the gift card at in 6 months anyway.

edit: wait are you asking about the gift cards or rent seeking? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking "rent-seeking means seeking to increase one's share of existing wealth without creating new wealth. Rent-seeking results in reduced economic efficiency through misallocation of resources, reduced wealth-creation, lost government revenue, heightened income inequality,[1] and potential national decline."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

droll posted:

The local food social media scene in my city are posting about buying restaurant gift cards from the restaurants despite not being able to use them, as like a temporary small loan or something to keep the restaurant afloat. My thinking is this goes into the pockets of the Owner and not the workers, and you may not have a restaurant to use the gift card at in 6 months anyway.

edit: wait are you asking about the gift cards or rent seeking? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking "rent-seeking means seeking to increase one's share of existing wealth without creating new wealth. Rent-seeking results in reduced economic efficiency through misallocation of resources, reduced wealth-creation, lost government revenue, heightened income inequality,[1] and potential national decline."

Yeah, the whole chain across the river anecdote.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Ever. Buying housing and withholding it from people who need it for the sake of profit is immoral and wrong, and creates no new wealth or product. It is parasitic and leads to greater problems down the line. Landlords are bad in basically every situation.

Under this idea, is selling property immoral as well? Or is it just the act of renting rather than selling that seems wrong?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ishamael posted:

Under this idea, is selling property immoral as well? Or is it just the act of renting rather than selling that seems wrong?

That's a real :can:, but if you want to take it to that level the immorality is in owning property at all, imo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Well sure, it isn't perfect, it IS a rental agreement. But it's the closest you can get to a good landlord I think.

Eh, my current and previous landlords were both pretty great. Pricing was well below market rates for what I got, repairs were always done quickly and professionally (including at least 1 extraordinarily expensive repair at each place). There are good landlords but they are a diamond in the rough.

Edit: Someone beat me to the rent seeking explanation while I left the window open.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Stringent posted:

That's a real :can:, but if you want to take it to that level the immorality is in owning property at all, imo.

That's true, sorry for the derail. I rented for many years and always felt my landlords were providing a service (the level of service fluctuated with the quality of landlord), but it never seemed like a black and white issue to me. Thank you all for the additional info, now back to restaurants!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ishamael posted:

That's true, sorry for the derail. I rented for many years and always felt my landlords were providing a service (the level of service fluctuated with the quality of landlord), but it never seemed like a black and white issue to me. Thank you all for the additional info, now back to restaurants!

Hey, renting (whether commercial or residential) is an issue that literally everyone in this thread has or has had to deal with. Considering the number of folks here who are furloughed or out of work, it seems like a reasonable discussion to have at the moment.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

This headline in our local news obviously jumped right out at me, but it's a nation-wide company and thought it might help people out:

"Amid restaurant closures, Roanoke kitchen is still open — and hiring"

https://www.roanoke.com/business/am...98ddff9a3f.html

I actually used to work with the dude Bradley that they interview. I could stand being a dish/prep bitch for $12/hr and benefits, holy poo poo.

Here's a direct link to their job app portion of their site:

http://www.fsp98.com/job-postings

I'm not sure exactly what cities they're in ('cause their site kinda sucks). But might be worth looking into? Just lookin' out for my peeps!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
A lot of hospitals are hiring cooks, I know mine is! Good pay and benefits but overall pretty boring work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A San Francisco restaurant, La Tosca, is reopening after a change of management, takeout-only. The chef explained that it isn't "tweezer food". I'm guessing that tweezer food is elaborately plated, not actually cooked with tweezers somehow?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A San Francisco restaurant, La Tosca, is reopening after a change of management, takeout-only. The chef explained that it isn't "tweezer food". I'm guessing that tweezer food is elaborately plated, not actually cooked with tweezers somehow?

Yes, food that is plated with tweezers. Typically Michelin star and aspiring, often pretentious (which doesn't neccesarily mean bad).

Example:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Disargeria posted:

A lot of hospitals are hiring cooks, I know mine is! Good pay and benefits but overall pretty boring work.

Yeah, I knew it was an option and one I thought of before. This place also does prepared meals for non-hospitals, too, though; you don't actually work at the hospital, but some big-rear end off-site industrial kitchen. Plus their facility is way closer than the hospital to me, I can take a bus.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The smallest hoe cakes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JonesCitizen/status/1242928931474411525?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

I’ve never enjoyed him.