Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, that's how greenhouses work. Great most of the year, but deadly in July/August.

Reminds me of my parents Conservatory (Like a sunroom, but crappier as it was all glass including the roof).

It was badly insulated and had a tiled floor, so was unbearably cold for half the year, unbearably hot in summer and OK in spring and autumn for about a week or 2.

I longed to demolish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Anyone know of any coupon codes or deals with Room&Board? I found some furniture to furnish my apartment and while other retailers have had liquidations or sales with everything going on R&B hasn't yet.

I'm not sure if it's stuff that goes on sale often or not?

My understanding is that Room&Board specifically doesn't do sales or discounts aside from whatever random things they put on clearance, and that they only raise prices at the beginning of the year. Then again, who knows with what's going on these days.

Segueing into the topic of couches, I bought one (after too much research and without ever seeing it in person) from Room&Board at the beginning of the year and I absolutely love it, and their customer service really was just as good as people say it is.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Interior design: I longed to demolish it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wooger posted:

Reminds me of my parents Conservatory (Like a sunroom, but crappier as it was all glass including the roof).

It was badly insulated and had a tiled floor, so was unbearably cold for half the year, unbearably hot in summer and OK in spring and autumn for about a week or 2.

I longed to demolish it.

Summer is a largely solved problem in greenhouses with just a touch of modern-ish technology: openable roof panes on thermostats. Not gonna help in the winter for a conservatory though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Facebook Aunt posted:

Could be. But that would mean both the fridge and stovetop are not in the picture. This kitchen has a terrible work triangle.

Good relaxation triangle tho.

It's a wet bar.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "conversation pit"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Actias posted:

My understanding is that Room&Board specifically doesn't do sales or discounts aside from whatever random things they put on clearance, and that they only raise prices at the beginning of the year. Then again, who knows with what's going on these days.

There are Room&Board outlets, though. I've been to the one here in the twin cities a few times.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This place looks like it could be fun in an earthquake.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Facebook Aunt posted:

This place looks like it could be fun in an earthquake.

It's the pits.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
how about something that involves a 70s orgy

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I kind of love that whenever the thread sees any 70s decor we all assume swingers orgy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The rare 4-poster fireplace.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

how about something that involves a 70s orgy

PM sent.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Pit #3 is the only one that’s any good, these others need to stop stealing pit valor

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

I really like this one, except maybe for the telephone pole columns.

No cushions on the seats... Slowly colonized by planters... This is the saddest one since they've clearly given up on it as a usable space.

No more orgies in that home.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I think this was owned by a little old librarian who used it only on Sundays.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "porthole"

who needs mirrors when you've got enough money to afford that view, I guess

they drilled the glory hole too high up

I love this tacky rear end house. Sold fully furnished so you get to keep the denim couches

it's tacky in the name of Jesus btw

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I think this was owned by a little old librarian who used it only on Sundays.

Surely those poles aren't structurally supporting anything as there's apparently clear air between them and the ridge beam? Are they just there for shinnying? Was the librarian married to a lineman?

Questions.....

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "porthole"

Jesus Hates tacky.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 26, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Surely those poles aren't structurally supporting anything as there's apparently clear air between them and the ridge beam? Are they just there for shinnying? Was the librarian married to a lineman?

I see some brackets that appear to be interfacing between the utility poles and the ridge beam.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7415-Breeze-Bay-Rd-Cumming-GA-30041/14644747_zpid/

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I really like this bathroom. At least, from what I see in this pic.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

I love this tacky rear end house. Sold fully furnished so you get to keep the denim couches

Decorated like some Massachusetts beach house so of course it's located in Ohio. Actually there's a question, non-coastal folks (excluding people on the great lakes for obvious reasons) what's the design atheistic you see for water front property where you are? Is it more fishing cabin, or more beachy? Something else?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

there wolf posted:

Decorated like some Massachusetts beach house so of course it's located in Ohio. Actually there's a question, non-coastal folks (excluding people on the great lakes for obvious reasons) what's the design atheistic you see for water front property where you are? Is it more fishing cabin, or more beachy? Something else?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Youth Decay posted:

That's why passive solar houses (actually designed to heat mostly or entirely with passive solar, not just realtorspeak for "has a bunch of windows") have a double wall. The window wall (often angled depending on # of heating days) on the outside and a vertical trombe wall made of dark concrete or stone with fewer windows. The wall provides thermal mass to help regulate the house's temperature. The huge stone hearths/fireplaces seen in many of the homes also helps with thermal mass.

Here are some proper old-school trombe walls.

I seem to recall that the old Plaza branch of the Kansas City library was accidentally a passive solar building. It had a double wall (with a sort of mini jungle between them) and a lot of granite bricks, so they could get away with leaving the lights on and that was enough heat. I cannot find any pictures of this building, which is pissing me off, and of course no sources, because this was just something I heard from someone. I want to believe.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Very strong impression that this house is the house McMansions try to be. Not to say it's not absurdly huge, but to my untrained eye the construction looks pretty quality, the areas shown look like they're probably actually used, and there's a unifying aesthetic.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PetraCore posted:

Very strong impression that this house is the house McMansions try to be. Not to say it's not absurdly huge, but to my untrained eye the construction looks pretty quality, the areas shown look like they're probably actually used, and there's a unifying aesthetic.

Nah, it’s still got many McMansion qualities, albeit not the worst one ever seen.

It’s clear that the owners didn’t run out of money when building it at least, it’s not in a barren empty field, it’s on a lake and it’s near to a city.

+ expensive furniture
+ expensive finishes

- roofline
- tree line is way too close to the house
- Not much of a garden
- metal staircases with no risers are horrible.
- the ceiling line inside is way too busy and random.
- gimmick pool
- gigantic double shower
- ugly kitchen

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Eastlake"

"good ol' Wikipedia posted:

The Eastlake Movement was a nineteenth-century architectural and household design reform movement started by British architect and writer Charles Eastlake (1836–1906). The movement is generally considered part of the late Victorian period in terms of broad antique furniture designations. In architecture the Eastlake Style or Eastlake architecture is part of the Queen Anne style of Victorian architecture.
In short, an Eastlake Victorian can be differentiated from the later Queen Anne Free Classic style by a more "houselike" shape, upright with a main gable or pyramidal roofline, vs. sprawling into little bits and pieces. Also a lot more geometric patterns and lower relief on the copious ornamentation.
Now this is a fireplace.

Eastlake hardware was fancy af

not quite Neon Victorian but still pretty nice

This house is in Galveston, TX and I'm amazed it survived Harvey

A purple Victorian with a mid-century pink kitchen, mint green bathroom and quilt-piece tile fireplace surround? I'm here for it. Also holy crap Muskegon, MI is cheap.

This one's interesting because it was originally built in 1856 as a plain farmhouse and was remodeled in the Victorian period to a then-modern style. It's gorgeous.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

wooger posted:

Nah, it’s still got many McMansion qualities, albeit not the worst one ever seen.

It’s clear that the owners didn’t run out of money when building it at least, it’s not in a barren empty field, it’s on a lake and it’s near to a city.

+ expensive furniture
+ expensive finishes

- roofline
- tree line is way too close to the house
- Not much of a garden
- metal staircases with no risers are horrible.
- the ceiling line inside is way too busy and random.
- gimmick pool
- gigantic double shower
- ugly kitchen
I got the impression the lot was p big and they just didn't want a huge manicured lawn, not that it was tiny lot huge house like a mcmansion. A friend in the state says the location is so inconvenient the land would be cheap.

I agree that nothing forgives the roofline. If you see the high shot of the balcony, the balcony itself looks nice but there's two huge dips for rain to gather in. Oof.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I used to live near there. Traffic is horrific.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Eastlake"

In short, an Eastlake Victorian can be differentiated from the later Queen Anne Free Classic style by a more "houselike" shape, upright with a main gable or pyramidal roofline, vs. sprawling into little bits and pieces. Also a lot more geometric patterns and lower relief on the copious ornamentation.
Now this is a fireplace.

Eastlake hardware was fancy af

not quite Neon Victorian but still pretty nice

This house is in Galveston, TX and I'm amazed it survived Harvey

A purple Victorian with a mid-century pink kitchen, mint green bathroom and quilt-piece tile fireplace surround? I'm here for it. Also holy crap Muskegon, MI is cheap.

This one's interesting because it was originally built in 1856 as a plain farmhouse and was remodeled in the Victorian period to a then-modern style. It's gorgeous.

Now that's a style I can get behind.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I love that Eastlake hardware. Would plan a house around that chandelier.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

I got the impression the lot was p big and they just didn't want a huge manicured lawn, not that it was tiny lot huge house like a mcmansion. A friend in the state says the location is so inconvenient the land would be cheap.

it's wedged into a little peninsula jutting into the local recreational reservoir. the area is fairly dense suburbs so trees in this instance serve as a privacy shield as well. since the area is so heavily forested there's a ton of arborists so rather than cutting trees back from the house it's better to just keep an eye on them and prune the ones that look like they may fall in bad weather

plus with a lot of these new constructions in this area, the land is already so forested that it's best just to carve out the space you need to construct the house rather than clear cutting the lot

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Greek key".
You know that square spiral pattern that kinda sorta looks vaguely swastika-adjacent? That thing.

why do so many listings for fancy old houses have photos taken by a potato

This mansion was built in 1998, but fine woodwork is timeless.

Another well-done ginormous multi-million dollar historic-modern mansion, this one built in 2006.

On the other end of the spectrum, way out in Canton, IL this 1890s beauty can be had for $143k. A little rough on the outside but inside it's well-preserved.

BONUS: I can't actually use swastika as a search term because nobody is going to advertise that their house has swastikas, but the house with the potato photo above happens to have a swastika bathroom

at least they're facing the other direction?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but if I was looking for the best home office chair in the ~$500 price range, would this be the place to ask? Daily 8 hour use right now, normally wfh twice a week otherwise, minimal use outside of actual work (lots of computer touching)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

brugroffil posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but if I was looking for the best home office chair in the ~$500 price range, would this be the place to ask? Daily 8 hour use right now, normally wfh twice a week otherwise, minimal use outside of actual work (lots of computer touching)

Check craigslist for office furniture liquidations. I got a Herman Miller Mirra that would have been about $1000 for $400.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

brugroffil posted:

Oh I was going to ask this as well but my budget is "as cheap as possible while still being ergonomic and unlikely to fall apart anytime soon". Bonus points if there's a particular chair that minimizes pressure on the tailbone since I was previously stricken with goon syndrome (pilonidal disease) and am trying to keep that awfulness from flaring up again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

brugroffil posted:

Youth Decay posted:

Oh I was going to ask this as well but my budget is "as cheap as possible while still being ergonomic and unlikely to fall apart anytime soon". Bonus points if there's a particular chair that minimizes pressure on the tailbone since I was previously stricken with goon syndrome (pilonidal disease) and am trying to keep that awfulness from flaring up again.

There's a thread in serious hardware for this. That said, it can and does get expensive but the tl;dr is that the cheapo poo poo you find in a lot of stores is poo poo. You can and do find better stuff in the midrange but it can be rewarding to look for the best and buy it used for cheaper. And most importantly, try before you buy. If there's a showroom near you, go in and take a look and see if you can try poo poo out. Not all chairs work for the same people.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I highly recommend the Steelcase Think. Sat in one for 4 years straight at a previous job and liked it so much I bought an new open-box Think off eBay for my home office. I didn't buy from this seller and mine has a different fabric on the back but you can get one here for $300:

https://www.ebay.com/c/1337415997

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm pretty sure there was an extensive discussion of office chairs in this thread a few months ago. You might try searching using "office chair" as a key term to see if you can find that conversation, but I know SA's search is not exactly robust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I actually kinda like this minus the green jade lady, but the three rings?