Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I loving hate small sand sharks so, so bad.

They were rad when I was 8 but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We're in a weird place where the lake is frozen, but the ice on shore is crappy, and all of the inland lakes are totally unsafe. I'm surrounded by water but can't fish. I'm looking forward to ice out and some steelhead/coho fishing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PROTIP: If you pull a shad out of the water with a fishing glove on, do not later toss that glove in your trunk and leave it for a day or two

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Weather this weekend was really nice, sunshine and all.

Perfect for a fishing trip, has been a while. So yesterday I went out and managed to catch a pike.

Good size for eating, would guess maybe 2,5 kg? Didnt weight it.

Best thing about going out fishing is when you catch yourself not having a single thought, the ultimate mind cleanser.

Also, couldn’t have turned out any better than it did when I cooked it in the oven. Consistency, taste, spices and other ingredients married perfectly. Great dinner for me and my parents, and enough left over for a few lunches this week. I must go fishing more often than I have lately, so pleasant.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That's probably one of the nicest looking cooked pike I've ever seen.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'm getting my quarantine buddy ready for a month or so of not being able to leave the house to go fishing

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Mrs 25" walleye says hello.

Wife and I landed her together. I hooked her and pulled her up, she spat the lure out right at the hole, wifey noticed she was snapping at the lure while floating back down the hole, grabbed my line and gave it a good yank. "Lower your rod you'll get it!"

We put her back after this pic. Go forth and multiply and fill the lake with more gigantic hyper aggressive extremely dumb and tasty fish.

We did bring 7 eaters home though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://6thsensefishing.com/collections/divine-swimbaits

Decided I should support a smaller fishing tackle company in these trying times (or at least that's the lie I told myself when I put in my order), so I ordered about 1/3 of the patterns on these swimbaits and I'm super excited to try them out. I love the use of orange on the bluegill patterns and the fact that they have some nice dark bluegill pattern swimbait heads to match them. I've found most swimbait heads are shad colored, but shad just is not a major forage on the ponds I fish so I'm just super excited to try this stuff out. :kimchi:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 25, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Stay safe friends

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So... anyone do any beach fishing around Norfolk? Im stuck at base on a beach with miles of surf line but no structure.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

So... anyone do any beach fishing around Norfolk? Im stuck at base on a beach with miles of surf line but no structure.

Surf fishing tips from a mediocre surf fisherman who did not grow up near an ocean:

- No visible structure means you should look for indicators of underwater structure like troughs and sandbars.
- Presence of baitfish and feeding birds is always a good sign.
- The phase of the tide might make a significant difference depending on what you're fishing for.
- Don't be stubborn and continue fishing the same spot if you're not getting any bites. The ocean is real big and they're not going to come looking for you if they're not there already.

That's general advice that you probably already know, but maybe it's helpful to somebody. I'm not too sure which species are out around this time of year, but I think that red drum and spotted sea trout might be around. Maybe you'll accidentally get a striper? Or a sheepshead to frighten your children.

I know that there are at least a couple of thread regulars who surf fish the Mid-Atlantic / Southeastern beaches who have actual experience. Their experience is probably worth more than my idiot reckoning, but I would still encourage everyone to try surf fishing because it's really fun and cathartic to stare at the waves all day.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
On plain beaches the fish down here are in the trough, on the drop past a sand bar or on the sides of a rip. Occasionally they're just right in the waves eating churned up clams.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

On plain beaches the fish down here are in the trough, on the drop past a sand bar or on the sides of a rip. Occasionally they're just right in the waves eating churned up clams.

Gear recommend?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Down here I use a nine foot rod, #20 lb and usually a double circle pompano rig with whatever pyramid sinker the current dictates. Fresh dead cut shrimp chunks are the go to but clams, sand fleas etc work well too. Get a rod holder and a chair and you're good.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

I surf fish in North Carolina a lot, and 90% of the fish I've caught are in the first trough. But my beach has a 3-5' deep trough at high tide 10' off the sand. And there's a persistent rip that's survived the last two hurricanes within 100 feet of my beach access point. I gotta get their early when it's busy, because it's really obvious from the beach structure, and every knowledgeable fisherman sets up on it with a 4-rod spread. 10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish.

@LingcodKilla: Search for beach-reading tips on youtube. Some pointers: Go at low tide and look for darker water. That indicates holes. Look for trails of wash bubbles going out to sea past the outermost breakers. That's a clear tell of a rip. Look for places where the surf never seems to break. Avoid spots where the waves break all the way in and don't fish there; it's a sandbar. You want places where the waves break, then get flat, and then crash hard right on shore. That indicates a deep trough system. Your flounder, reds, blues, sea mullet, black drum, pompano, and trout will be in that trough. It's often much closer than you think. Don't just chuck your bait as far as you can.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

EvilJoven posted:

Mrs 25" walleye says hello.

Wife and I landed her together. I hooked her and pulled her up, she spat the lure out right at the hole, wifey noticed she was snapping at the lure while floating back down the hole, grabbed my line and gave it a good yank. "Lower your rod you'll get it!"

We put her back after this pic. Go forth and multiply and fill the lake with more gigantic hyper aggressive extremely dumb and tasty fish.

We did bring 7 eaters home though.
Nice walleye. That's a 6-pounder, right?

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
I've been interested in fly fishing for about 10 years now (since I went to basic with a buddy who did nothing but talk about it for 10 weeks) and finally just moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota, so it's time to get into it. Budget is limited so I was thinking about getting a little Wal-Mart special rod & reel combo (with a fly assortment) & a landing net... is that all I need? I did some reading and lots of folks say waders are essential... can I not just fish from the banks of a small stream? Are there any good online resources ya'll would recommend? No free workshops nearby & I don't feel like paying $25/hour for group lessons.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Big_Gulps_Huh posted:

I've been interested in fly fishing for about 10 years now (since I went to basic with a buddy who did nothing but talk about it for 10 weeks) and finally just moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota, so it's time to get into it. Budget is limited so I was thinking about getting a little Wal-Mart special rod & reel combo (with a fly assortment) & a landing net... is that all I need? I did some reading and lots of folks say waders are essential... can I not just fish from the banks of a small stream? Are there any good online resources ya'll would recommend? No free workshops nearby & I don't feel like paying $25/hour for group lessons.

Yup, that's about it. I think Walmart carries Scientific Angler fly rods? It'll be fine to get started, I still have a Gander Mountain fly rod from like 15 years ago. More fish per capita per pound are likely caught by cheap beater poles than all the St Croix rods combined. If you are strictly bank casting learn to roll cast. Otherwise you'll find your back cast eating weeds. Dry flies get all the glory, but for straight up fish catching ability stick with nymphs. Just fish. Ignore the ads of the dude spey casting on a misty morning, they don't show you the hour he has to spend untangling his poo poo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Dik Hz posted:

Nice walleye. That's a 6-pounder, right?

No idea. We don't have a scale but ya generally that size is about 6lbs.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Big_Gulps_Huh posted:

You don't need waders and you definitely don't need a net. What's your budget? If you can swing $200, the cheapo Bighorn combo from Cabelas is $100 for a decent rod+reel. Add in fly line ($40), a 3-pack of leaders ($10), tippet ($5), a fly box ($5), and the recommended flies from your local fly shop ($20-40) and that's all you need. If you're going to spend money, a general rule of thumb is that the closer to the trout it is, the more important it is. Good flies > correct tippet > flexible leaders > good fly line > nice rod > functional reel. Although, as a beginner, you're going to get the most bang for your buck by buying a decent fly line. Anything by Scientific Anglers is going to be good and reasonably priced.

When I started fly fishing, I was unemployed and wet-waded with a $5 pair of boots I bought at a garage sale. If all you can afford is the $60 Walmart combo, go for it. You'll catch fish.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I've been river fishing seriously for 5 years now and often wade. I wear a $10 pair of walmart water shoes, every year I say I'm gonna buy waders but I never do. They'd be nice to have (I imagine) but certainly not necessary

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Waders are definitely not necessary. Most people around me just plow right in with wading shoes or old sneakers. I do wear waders because I am prissy.
It's also still really cold right now. But dont let that stop you!

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?

Dik Hz posted:

You don't need waders and you definitely don't need a net. What's your budget? If you can swing $200, the cheapo Bighorn combo from Cabelas is $100 for a decent rod+reel. Add in fly line ($40), a 3-pack of leaders ($10), tippet ($5), a fly box ($5), and the recommended flies from your local fly shop ($20-40) and that's all you need. If you're going to spend money, a general rule of thumb is that the closer to the trout it is, the more important it is. Good flies > correct tippet > flexible leaders > good fly line > nice rod > functional reel. Although, as a beginner, you're going to get the most bang for your buck by buying a decent fly line. Anything by Scientific Anglers is going to be good and reasonably priced.

When I started fly fishing, I was unemployed and wet-waded with a $5 pair of boots I bought at a garage sale. If all you can afford is the $60 Walmart combo, go for it. You'll catch fish.

Cool! My budget is <$100, pretty much. There's a 30$ and a 40$ combo that comes with 6wt line & backing & some dry flies, no tippet or leaders as far as I can tell. There's a good sporting goods store in town that sells both of those walmart combos but they also sell flies individually so I think I can get a bunch of what I need for the season at about a dollar a pop. Lots of nymphs so I'm gonna look into the insects in the area & their life histories to get a feel for whats out there. Will probably also ask around about what gets hit on.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Do any of you fly fishing types have any ideas for a pair of shoes I can wear in the river that won't trap all kinds of grit and chew my feet to shreds? Here in Georgia it's warm enough that I can get by without waders for like 9 months a year, and I've just been wearing chacos and tevas. They work ok if it's just for a few hours, but if I fish a full day the grit that collects under the straps becomes totally crippling. Loosening or tightening the straps doesn't help, nor does trying to rinse them out periodically.

I am open to nearly all styles and budgetary considerations, I just want to be able to fish two days in a row and know I'm still gonna be able to walk on day 2.

My brother in law swears by Crocs but I don't want it to come to that. I hope you understand.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Stalizard posted:

Do any of you fly fishing types have any ideas for a pair of shoes I can wear in the river that won't trap all kinds of grit and chew my feet to shreds? Here in Georgia it's warm enough that I can get by without waders for like 9 months a year, and I've just been wearing chacos and tevas. They work ok if it's just for a few hours, but if I fish a full day the grit that collects under the straps becomes totally crippling. Loosening or tightening the straps doesn't help, nor does trying to rinse them out periodically.

I am open to nearly all styles and budgetary considerations, I just want to be able to fish two days in a row and know I'm still gonna be able to walk on day 2.

My brother in law swears by Crocs but I don't want it to come to that. I hope you understand.

I have a pair of these in the low version for canoeing/kayaking/etc because I have a moral opposition to sandals in all forms, but I bet the mids (or even the lows) with a pair of thin neoprene socks might be the ticket, and is what I would probably buy if I didn't live in Northern Illinois.

https://originalfootwear.com/collections/altama/products/altama-maritime-assault-mid?variant=29741768802376

There are other colors and a bit cheaper pricing on Amazon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Water socks and over sized crocs

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Water socks and over sized crocs

I'll 2nd the crocs, but they don't like really slippery rocks.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Stalizard posted:

I splurged on some 5.10 Canyoneers and they are amazing. My style of fishing here in North Carolina is to hike in a couple miles, wet wade, and hike back out. With a pair of 5mm Neoprene socks, they're perfectly comfortable. I've done some overnight in-and-out trips and they've worked great. However, I have high arches and narrow feet. If you have wide or flat feet, they would probably hobble you.

Before I bought those, I used my brother's cast-off combat boots. The Airforce specified boots that are rated for in-flight operations have the best grip I've worn. They're built for people working on in-flight C-130s when the back could be open.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Well fishing just got banned here because apparently it’s non essential. The water police are starting to issue fines to people they catch on the water.

I’ve been going up the local river that’s 5 min from my house and taking a rod hidden in the fish hatch of the kayak because apparently kayaking is exercise which is not banned, but fishing trips are going to be a bit thin on the ground and freshwater fishing generally sucks compared to saltwater.

I might start going out offshore for some ‘exercise’ and doing some trolling once I’m a few km out, there isn’t much access for bigger boats so the water police probably won’t be around.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fishing was ruled as approved in florida's stay at home order, so I may get one or two trips out during this bullshit. So long as I stay 6ft away from other asshats.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Well fishing just got banned here because apparently it’s non essential.

I got you dude.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I enjoyed going out on Wednesday to fish, even though there was too much freshwater intrusion for much of a bite, it was cold, and the wind was strong enough to push my 2oz weight around. Right up until two shitheads showed up and set up camp 3 feet away from me on the pier.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hit the surf today at the only beach around that's open to me. Got 14 nice blues and two Jack's. The meat is all for our three dogs. I have eight trays of chunks dehydrating for treats and three bags of fillets in the freezer. We like to have a fresh topper on their kibble and meat buying is still really limited. So this is good. Normally I'd toss blues back but not these days.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
In New Jersey, trout season was opened 10 days early for catch and release. Actively encouraging fishing, crazy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Washington shut down all fishing.

Goddamn it

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Washington shut down all fishing.

Goddamn it

It sucks, but nationally we're ahead of the corona curve so hopefully we'll be able to do outdoor activities again before too much longer. Holy gently caress do I want to drive to the coast, pull on my waders, and slay some spawning redtails.

If there's a silver lining, this HAS to be a good thing for the salmon population and will hopefully help address rising ocean temperatures. gently caress the blob, I want bag bonuses for humpies in 2023 goddamnit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Eh I understand why after seeing how squidders and shore salmon snaggers fish but I’m by myself on a kayak.

Allowed to paddle around but not stop to fish feh.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dear Ling Cod, please ignore the travel warnings and come to michigan rn we can trap early spring crawfish and catch some crappies and cook them and get mercury poisoning

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

titties posted:

Dear Ling Cod, please ignore the travel warnings and come to michigan rn we can trap early spring crawfish and catch some crappies and cook them and get mercury poisoning

Hey! Good to hear from you! I’ll skip on being that far from my family for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It sucks, but nationally we're ahead of the corona curve so hopefully we'll be able to do outdoor activities again before too much longer. Holy gently caress do I want to drive to the coast, pull on my waders, and slay some spawning redtails.

If there's a silver lining, this HAS to be a good thing for the salmon population and will hopefully help address rising ocean temperatures. gently caress the blob, I want bag bonuses for humpies in 2023 goddamnit.

And salmon season never opened again