Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dude, go down the council and get a “zero income” form, will cover your rent via housing benefit without having to apply for UC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Prince John posted:

There is a distinction between Amazon's tax avoidance and the hypothetical plucky contractor though. The latter, as you say, is taking advantage of the system and benefits as set out by a government and taxed by a single authority. The government have the ability to close the loopholes if they see fit, and there's a reasonable argument that they're happy with the state of affairs if they don't do this after many years of grumbling about it.

Amazon will quite happily take advantages of loopholes that fall between jurisdictions e.g. where interest is tax deductible in one state yet not taxable in another. It gives them a huge competitive advantage compared to businesses that don't operate at sufficient scale internationally, so there's a huge public interest argument for cracking down on that poo poo hard. The idea of the taxman's prerogative doesn't really fit with this kind of model.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

zhar posted:

it's the taxmans prerogative to make sure he's collecting the tax he should not the person paying it. tax evasion is different ofc.

I really don't like this line of reasoning, since it completely ignores the massive lobbying and commercial influence that goes on to ensure the taxman doesn't collect the tax and that the rules are written in such a way as to benefit certain parties. It also ignores the huge amount of money and expertise that is invested in avoiding taxation: this isn't a passive failure of collection, it's an entire industry of influencing policy, obfuscation rules, and advising about possible loopholes

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

learnincurve posted:

Dude, go down the council and get a “zero income” form, will cover your rent via housing benefit without having to apply for UC.

A lot of councils are closed to the public. You wouldn't be able to get a zero income form off my local council right now.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

That is amazing!

Edit: By the way, does anyone have any idea what kind of support would be available for a lady that lives near me with virtually zero money who needs to take the bus to do anything?

The local buses have just stopped accepting cash (only contactless) presumably due to covid-19, but she has some kind of special limited bank card that only allows her to do cash withdrawals and nothing else (no paying for things using card machines).

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 26, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I feel like there's a significant qualitative difference between a freelance copywriter managing their tax and Amazon playing off jurisdictions against each other to avoid paying gently caress all on hundreds of millions in revenue and feeding the wealthiest man ever to have lived's stratospheric cash pile. But I don't think I can express it any better than this:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

I really don't like this line of reasoning, since it completely ignores the massive lobbying and commercial influence that goes on to ensure the taxman doesn't collect the tax and that the rules are written in such a way as to benefit certain parties. It also ignores the huge amount of money and expertise that is invested in avoiding taxation: this isn't a passive failure of collection, it's an entire industry of influencing policy, obfuscation rules, and advising about possible loopholes
Plus the revolvingwide-open door between the HMRC and exclusive tax accountancy firms.

The people interpreting the rules to collect taxes and the people interpreting them to avoid them are the same people, they go to the same clubs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a lot of use for however much tax you could squeeze out of jeff bezos if you put him in under a hydraulic press, I don't have anything like as much use for the tax you could squeeze out of some rando lone trader fiddling their taxes. In fact I can think of a lot of people I'd rather put in the hydraulic press just for fun.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Plus the revolvingwide-open door between the HMRC and exclusive tax accountancy firms.

The people interpreting the rules to collect taxes and the people interpreting them to avoid them are the same people, they go to the same clubs.

Exactly. And often it's not just the same people but literally the same person; IIRC from Private Eye the big 5 accountancy firms frequently second staff to HRMC as well as provide "advisory" work

minema
May 31, 2011
this is a PSA that physiotherapists are not just about injuries or exercises. I feel like I've had to explain to half the people in my life that acute respiratory physiotherapy is also a large area of the profession - basically helping people breathe when they are acutely unwell.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

A lot of councils are closed to the public. You wouldn't be able to get a zero income form off my local council right now.

You could probably find one online if you put your local council name and nil income declaration into google. You have to provide bank statements for the whole time you claim to have had no income. You might be able to do the whole thing via email - council staff may be working from home.

Worth a try?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1243284784903831554

What a cringey dickhead

zhar
May 3, 2019

Prince John posted:

There is a distinction between Amazon's tax avoidance and the hypothetical plucky contractor though. The latter, as you say, is taking advantage of the system and benefits as set out by a government and taxed by a single authority. The government have the ability to close the loopholes if they see fit, and there's a reasonable argument that they're happy with the state of affairs if they don't do this after many years of grumbling about it. It's not that objectionable and is easily remedied if the government has a mind to do so.

Amazon will quite happily take advantages of loopholes that fall between jurisdictions e.g. where interest paid is tax deductible in one state yet interest received is not taxable in another. It gives them a huge competitive advantage compared to businesses that don't operate at sufficient scale internationally, so there's a huge public interest argument for cracking down on that poo poo hard. The idea of the taxman's prerogative doesn't really fit with this kind of model because they're essentially powerless without international cooperation.

you're right i am conflating two very different situations and that is probably a bit thick of me. they are both structural legal problems though, what can the amazon board member who wakes up with a conscience do without getting kicked out and replaced with someone with less scruples? As long as they are legally bound to provide shareholders with profits tax avoidance (and evasion) of this kind is inevitable, so I don't think blaming the individual or individual corporation is productive unless the bad PR they'd get from doing so outweighs the tax loss which seems unlikely at the scale of amazon. so while i think it's unethical, sure, it seems like a systemic impossibility for amazon to start acting ethically by recalling it's lobbyists and paying lots of tax even if you behead bezos.

what would they do if the uk just decided to unilaterally tax all goods sold here by a tech company in the same way they would a high street business? or a percentage of sales? im not that educated in finance and there are probably loads of problems doing it like that but given their profits here there must be a way for our lawmakers to get a bigger cut even without cooperation from luxembourg or whatever.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Goldskull posted:

You really didn't read a word I said did you? Quote from my accountant: "If you do that (going underneath the tax threshold of what, £12k?) you can pay yourself a directors bonus". I've never done that in 5 years of being a limited company, because I needed that money to either live, or pay the Tax I know is coming at end of year. Stop acting like I'm the enemy here and I'm 'exploiting the system', I'm getting shafted here because Sunak and his army of Tory oval office accountants know this so they can linit the payout. I go homeless in 2 months without a rent holiday/help that was promised off this 'government' because with IR35 (that's now postponed for a year whoopie loving doo) my trade has been dead since Feb. Or are you one of those twitter clowns that think self-employed translates as 'builders who do cash in hand and pay people from Poland and it's not fair on me the taxpayer'?

Or tell me if you think you can live on ~£94 a week given I've been paying tax for 27 years now? gently caress you.

turns out that a whole load of people are getting hosed by the Tories and most of them haven't spent the preceding half-decade engaged in a scheme designed to prevent them paying their fair share of tax

I think I'll be saving my sympathy for them instead

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

zhar posted:

you're right i am conflating two very different situations and that is probably a bit thick of me. they are both structural legal problems though, what can the amazon board member who wakes up with a conscience do without getting kicked out and replaced with someone with less scruples? As long as they are legally bound to provide shareholders with profits tax avoidance (and evasion) of this kind is inevitable, so I don't think blaming the individual or individual corporation is productive unless the bad PR they'd get from doing so outweighs the tax loss which seems unlikely at the scale of amazon. so while i think it's unethical, sure, it seems like a systemic impossibility for amazon to start acting ethically by recalling it's lobbyists and paying lots of tax even if you behead bezos.

what would they do if the uk just decided to unilaterally tax all goods sold here by a tech company in the same way they would a high street business? or a percentage of sales? im not that educated in finance and there are probably loads of problems doing it like that but given their profits here there must be a way for our lawmakers to get a bigger cut even without cooperation from luxembourg or whatever.

There are, which is why they (indirectly) pay comparatively smaller amounts of money to have that not happen. If we did decide to do that there's not a lot they could do except pay more tax (vis McDonalds in... Norway? Finland? where they pay broadly adequate tax and minimum wage etc and haven't abandoned the place) and pay their employees appropriately (which is as important if not more important than them paying taxes, since well paid people spend money and are taxed on the spend, which is then feeding back into the economy meaning more people are paid to support them and so forth) because this is a hugely lucrative market into which they have already massively invested, and if they left some other fucker would take their place, so if we forced them to pay properly, they would do so.

Which is why we are unable to.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

zhar posted:

I think we had a go with the diverted profits tax. I've no idea whether it's been considered a success in clamping down on international tax avoidance though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

If you're in the arts world this might be useful. Don't ask me who might qualify, I'm just sharing a link from a friend.

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid-19/financial-support-artists-creative-practitioners-and-freelancers

quote:

Creative practitioners whose main work is focused on these artforms and disciplines:

Music
Theatre
Dance
Visual Arts
Literature
Combined Arts
Museums practice
This work includes: choreographers, writers, translators, producers, editors, freelance educators in the disciplines and artforms we support, composers, directors, designers, artists, craft makers and curators.

Magicians and comedians can apply to this fund, as long as they have a track record of receiving public funding for their work.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Barry Foster posted:

What a cringey dickhead

If he loves the NHS so much why can't he win an election for them?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Driving home from breaking lockdown with the boys this evening I happened to swerve perfectly over the tricky potholes on the corner, all of a sudden the street was full of people clapping and applauding my skilled manouvere.

It took just a second to realise it was people doing the NHS clap but for a wierd moment I was driving down the road getting applauded by proles on the pavement for no real reason and felt a transcendental Jungian Royalty energy, had never felt more tempted to diddle kids and systemically protect Prince Andrew.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

turns out that a whole load of people are getting hosed by the Tories and most of them haven't spent the preceding half-decade engaged in a scheme designed to prevent them paying their fair share of tax

I think I'll be saving my sympathy for them instead

loving Hell, Which bit of 'I go under the threshold so I can afford the big tax bill at the end of the year' did you not get now I've told you twice? Is it the bit where I said 'I pay my taxes' or is it the bit where I said 'no sick pay/heath care or benefits'? Perhaps the part where I said 'homeless in 2 months because I rent' and this scheme the Tories think is acceptable doesn't screw me into the ground?
Stop acting like I'm some horrendous offshore tax monster, you come across like a right prick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1243303448906551298?s=20

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

If you are posting in this thread you are by definition not the enemy - true wealth pays 1000s for their forums and they are at ski resorts

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So uh, y'all were talking about children's TV programmes, how excellent or otherwise is Once Upon a Time: Life? I remember watching that one as a kid and back then it was awesome. Dunno from a more current perspective though

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CancerCakes posted:

If you are posting in this thread you are by definition not the enemy - true wealth pays 1000s for their forums and they are at ski resorts

This is my butler's account and i pay him to post here for me

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Goldskull posted:

loving Hell, Which bit of 'I go under the threshold so I can afford the big tax bill at the end of the year' did you not get now I've told you twice? Is it the bit where I said 'I pay my taxes' or is it the bit where I said 'no sick pay/heath care or benefits'? Perhaps the part where I said 'homeless in 2 months because I rent' and this scheme the Tories think is acceptable doesn't screw me into the ground?
Stop acting like I'm some horrendous offshore tax monster, you come across like a right prick.

no it's the bit where you said, and I quote, "I pay myself as an employee £8k a year so I'm under the allowable tax bracket, rest of my money is dividends."

drat that self-employed status that forced you into manipulating your income in order to avoid paying tax on it, after all you can't be expected just to have a regular salary like normal people, it's just not an option

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

jaete posted:

So uh, y'all were talking about children's TV programmes, how excellent or otherwise is Once Upon a Time: Life? I remember watching that one as a kid and back then it was awesome. Dunno from a more current perspective though

It's on Netflix, why not check yourself and report back?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Isn't private income protection insurance a thing so that if you decide to set up your taxes in a way that minimises your PAYE tax and NI contributions and then find yourself without income you still have a safety net?

It feels a bit like finding yourself homeless because the house you own burned down and you hadn't insured it.

Don't get me wrong, we should bail everybody out right now - self employed included - but this situation demonstrates that way too many self employed people aren't setting up their own safety nets and so it seems fair that once this is over we equalise the tax systems and extend the gov protections to everyone going forward.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

no it's the bit where you said, and I quote, "I pay myself as an employee £8k a year so I'm under the allowable tax bracket, rest of my money is dividends."

drat that self-employed status that forced you into manipulating your income in order to avoid paying tax on it, after all you can't be expected just to have a regular salary like normal people, it's just not an option

Not read the thread but without knowing how much the dividend cash is you can't really call them an arsehole, if they are on 2-months-rent precarity then stop pretending you are posting against Tesco Inc or whatever. Every man and van that would rather take cash is 'manipulating your income in order to avoid paying tax on it' who gives a gently caress most working people are imperfect you impecable wagey you.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Comment or commetaritwat

quote:

Everyone in these debates could use a bit of humility and a dose of open-mindedness. That’s true on both sides. It’s true for all of us. The right has been forced to relearn the prime importance of the state as guarantor in a period of emergency. It is having to accept the state’s irreducible responsibility to the most vulnerable. It has also, perhaps, learned that what a health service can achieve reflects the investment that has been made in it, although no health service anywhere has been or could have been fully prepared.

But the left has lessons to learn too. Many of the takeaways from the Covid-19 crisis may seem obvious. But what is true during a crisis is not necessarily true or desirable when the crisis is over. The NHS needs whatever it takes in a crisis, but at other times health service spending is as long as a piece of string and there has to be a cut-off point, if only to allow spending elsewhere. The borrowing that may or may not save the economy from recession in a crisis will also have to be paid for when the crisis is over. People may trust Johnson with powers they would not want Jeremy Corbyn to possess.

Both sides centerism.txt

Of course it's a loving graun article, why do I keep doing this to myself

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

blunt posted:

Don't get me wrong, we should bail everybody out right now - self employed included - but this situation demonstrates that way too many self employed people aren't setting up their own safety nets and so it seems fair that once this is over we equalise the tax systems and extend the gov protections to everyone going forward.

Yeah how stupid of them that after over a decade of austerity and soaring living costs and literal daily propoganda hiding the systemic cracks every self-employed worker hasn't independently created their own safety net. What does 'setting up their own safety net' even mean btw?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah how stupid of them that after over a decade of austerity and soaring living costs and literal daily propoganda hiding the systemic cracks every self-employed worker hasn't independently created their own safety net. What does 'setting up their own safety net' even mean btw?

See the paragraph above the one you quoted - income protection insurance.

I guess the core of my question is this - what is special about being self employed that justifies a lower effective tax rate than a PAYE employee?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have an NHS in my shed, but it's mine, not yours.

RockyB posted:

Both sides centerism.txt

Of course it's a loving graun article, why do I keep doing this to myself

quote:

People may trust Johnson with powers they would not want Jeremy Corbyn to possess.
Yes I would trust the anything for power man over the man with decades of demanding government accountability with all the powers and furthermore
:hotpickle:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

blunt posted:

See the paragraph directly above the one you quoted - income protection insurance.

Lmao if you think all the insurance companies aren't going to be bust within 3 months.

The actual answer of course is unionisation and class consciousness, but like gently caress are you getting the 'self-employed' uber and deliveroo drivers to do that let alone IT contractors. IPSE is a pale shadow of gently caress all use to anyone, and I say that as someone who paid my dues for almost a decade.

E: I missed this bit

quote:

I guess the core of my question is this - what is special about being self employed that justifies a lower effective tax rate than a PAYE employee?

Because under PAYE your employer is covering a significant amount of costs, likely ~50% on top of your salary, that you never see reflected in your pay cheque and hence your tax. Being self employed, you have to cover that from the gross income you make.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 27, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

blunt posted:

See the paragraph directly above the one you quoted - income protection insurance.

I assume you have never had or tried to claim on one of those policies.
I've not had one but friends and relatives have.
They wriggle out of them every which way they can and critical illness cover is the worst for not paying out.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Goldskull posted:

The absolute loving state of you and Communist Thoughts. Did you not read the part where I said 'I don't pay that so I can afford to pay the bigger Tax bill from Corporation/Dividend Tax?' How much do you think I'm pulling a year?

We are the people who Freelance, we have no sick pay, no holiday pay, Health benefits: I have no work (like the last month) I have to sit at home applying everywhere, and all the rest. I still put my NI in & I probably paid more tax than you did last year so don't ever come at me with this 'think about the NHS' bullshit. I'm not your enemy here, it's all those offshore corporations that pay dick all tax that are. gently caress you.

i was agreeing with you lol

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

blunt posted:

See the paragraph above the one you quoted - income protection insurance.

That poo poo might be expensive though. I don't actually know but I can imagine it's not something you necessarily want to always have. Insurance companies will make sure you gotta pay for it, and can't just claim it willy nilly etc

(Obviously the government could do this much more efficiently, just like ordinary unemployment insurance)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

The actual answer of course is unionisation and class consciousness, but like gently caress are you getting the 'self-employed' uber and deliveroo drivers to do that let alone IT contractors.
Rebel Roo was a thing for a while, what happened with that?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did anyone post a jeb pleas clap meme

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It might not be hard to convince people that the belt needs to be tightened after this event, given how many people need to make cuts in their own lives for their own survival. There's every risk of strengthening the credit card narrative.

A hell world awaits us in the future where hundreds of thousands have perished, been evicted and have fallen bankrupt and Johnson's only retort at pmqs is

"Labour left a note"

... And it lands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I assume you have never had or tried to claim on one of those policies.
I've not had one but friends and relatives have.
They wriggle out of them every which way they can and critical illness cover is the worst for not paying out.

jaete posted:

That poo poo might be expensive though. I don't actually know but I can imagine it's not something you necessarily want to always have. Insurance companies will make sure you gotta pay for it, and can't just claim it willy nilly etc

(Obviously the government could do this much more efficiently, just like ordinary unemployment insurance)

I believe both of you and understand why self employed people are relying on the same government support that everybody else is at the moment.

What i'm just not understanding at all is what is special about being self employed that justifies a lower effective tax rate than a PAYE employee?