Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
In ECW, did Raven ever mention or acknowledge his time as Johnny polo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are Marshall and Ross Von Erich any good?

They're very middle of the road. Nothing outstanding.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

When he first coming in Stevie Richards was hyping him up as Johnny Polo and Raven hit him but I don't remember it being much more than that before Raven just became Raven.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Why was the Summerslam 92 card overhauled so much. Watching old episodes of Superstars the feuds by May of 92 are: Bret/HBK, Undertaker/Berserker, Warrior/Papa Shango, Savage/Flair, Nails/Bossman, Tatanka/Martel, Repo Man/Bulldog, Beverley Brothers/Road Warriors.

None of these matches happened at Summerslam 92. I understand Bret/Bulldog for obvious reasons but was there a reason why everything else was changed?

Wasn’t this because of the steroid scandal? A lot of people suddenly left.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

When he first coming in Stevie Richards was hyping him up as Johnny Polo and Raven hit him but I don't remember it being much more than that before Raven just became Raven.

Yeah, my memory is they explicitly acknowledge that he's Polo when he shows up but Raven very quickly establishes his new character and it only really comes up from time to time in snarky comments from guys like Styles or from Stevie being a doofus. I want to say Steve dressed up like him at some point when he and Meanie were doing that before the bWo took off.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Low Desert Punk posted:

The crowd chanted Johnny Polo at him

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Why was the Summerslam 92 card overhauled so much. Watching old episodes of Superstars the feuds by May of 92 are: Bret/HBK, Undertaker/Berserker, Warrior/Papa Shango, Savage/Flair, Nails/Bossman, Tatanka/Martel, Repo Man/Bulldog, Beverley Brothers/Road Warriors.

None of these matches happened at Summerslam 92. I understand Bret/Bulldog for obvious reasons but was there a reason why everything else was changed?

In addition to steroids like Maxwell suggested, another possible answer might be that they didn't want to burn these HOT FEUDS on a non-American audience? I know at least a few of them were back on by Survivor Series.

EDIT: The impression I always got about Summerslam 92 is that Vince wanted to capitalise on the comparative popularity of WWF in the UK (boosted by the arrival of satellite TV and how our domestic televised shows had been all but killed off at this point) and to get some breathing space since the scandals were not being covered anywhere near as much over here (paedos and drugs are facts of life here). Aside from the impressive attendance and the main event, it really does feel like a bit of a filler show.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 26, 2020

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
It had nothing to do with the steroid trial, which was 2 years later, especially since all of those guys were on the card.

It was just the spring house show feuds.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean the trial was in '94 but I recall some steroid issues resulting in a big talent exodus around '92. (Hence why the roster was so thin in subsequent years and also why Hogan got weirdly skinny.)

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Everyone listed was on the card so it wasn't like they left.

And Hogan had like 10 matches in the WWF in 1992, with the last one on TV was at WrestleMania in April. He came back small in 1993.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the trial was in '94 but I recall some steroid issues resulting in a big talent exodus around '92. (Hence why the roster was so thin in subsequent years and also why Hogan got weirdly skinny.)

The card that got changed around due to drug suspensions was Survivor Series 92. They fired Bulldog and Warrior and had to turn Perfect face.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MassRafTer posted:

The card that got changed around due to drug suspensions was Survivor Series 92. They fired Bulldog and Warrior and had to turn Perfect face.

I don't remember Mr Perfect ever being face.

Did he do anything of note as a goodie?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 27, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Did he do anything of not as a goodie?

"Retired" Ric Flair on Raw, had a match with Luger at Mania 9, that's... about it?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

https://www.wwe.com/videos/mr-perfect-responds-to-randy-savage-s-offer-prime-time-wrestling-nov-16-1992

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

It's one of the most notable face turns ever, and a great example that WWE can make good creative choices when they have to

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCvi1JuF4uU&t=489s

I think this is all the segments; would have been spaced out over two hours, IIRC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He pretty soon after cashed in on his Lloyd's of London insurance and retired. His body was trashed at that point, so other than the Flair match that was mentioned, not really.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He had a pretty nice little KotR match with Bret, nothing worth going out of your way to watch and not as good as their 91 match, but it was cool because Perfect was still a babyface but couldn’t help but slip in a few heel things

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The last thing I remember about Hennig's face run was losing via backslide (where his feet were clearly in the ropes) to Lex Luger at WM IX. Also of note: WM IX was the event that taught young Chris he'd never be able to eat nacho cheese Doritos again because cool ranch ruined his palette for them.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Did Goldberg really end Bret's career on purpose, or did he just stiff him so hard that it was enough to put him away for good?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

Did Goldberg really end Bret's career on purpose, or did he just stiff him so hard that it was enough to put him away for good?
Neither.

He accidentally gave Bret a concussion. It was the follow-up concussions in the matches Bret was made to work post-Starrcade that really ended his career

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

jesus WEP posted:

Neither.

He accidentally gave Bret a concussion. It was the follow-up concussions in the matches Bret was made to work post-Starrcade that really ended his career

I read Bret's take that he begged Goldberg backstage not to hit him really hard, and he did anyway, but that's one side of the story.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I read Bret's take that he begged Goldberg backstage not to hit him really hard, and he did anyway, but that's one side of the story.

I'm inclined to believe the guy that tried to kill people with his spear every time probably went a little stiff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jesus WEP posted:

He had a pretty nice little KotR match with Bret, nothing worth going out of your way to watch and not as good as their 91 match, but it was cool because Perfect was still a babyface but couldn’t help but slip in a few heel things

Also the backstage promo between the two, which ended with them arguing "My dad could beat your dad".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Also the backstage promo between the two, which ended with them arguing "My dad could beat your dad".

I loved that bit because earlier in the night, Bret was asked about which potential opponent he'd rather face in round 2: Mr. Perfect or Mr. Hughes. Bret thought about it, put them both over as tough competitors, but said that he'd choose Mr. Perfect because he had way more respect for him.

Later in the night: "You wanted to face me because you think I'd be an easier opponent, you son of a bitch!"

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Gavok posted:

I loved that bit because earlier in the night, Bret was asked about which potential opponent he'd rather face in round 2: Mr. Perfect or Mr. Hughes. Bret thought about it, put them both over as tough competitors, but said that he'd choose Mr. Perfect because he had way more respect for him.

Later in the night: "You wanted to face me because you think I'd be an easier opponent, you son of a bitch!"

The finish to that interview was amazing; Perfect reached out his hand to Bret saying "May the best man win", only to pull back right when Bret went for the handshake.

"...GOTCHA! Just like I'm gonna get you in the ring"

Bret was so pissed he yelled some stuff and stormed off.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can’t remember who said it but Bret Hart only breathes through his mouth in the ring so his mouth is always open and now I can never not see it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Can’t remember who said it but Bret Hart only breathes through his mouth in the ring so his mouth is always open and now I can never not see it

The Jon Snow of wrestlers.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So, if the KSA hadn't specifically asked for him several times during the first few shows, how long do you think it would've been before Hogan was rehired?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wasn't HHH trying to get him back in like real quick?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I honestly have no idea, that’s why I’m asking.

I also know they asked about Ultimate Warrior and demanded proof that he’s dead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I vaguely recall a thing where HHH was trying to get the locker room to forgive Hogan, made a direct appeal to the New Day to speak out in his defense, and spun it into like a "don't let yourself be recorded and stay off social media" thing instead of a racism thing. But the New Day scoffed and it kind of died down or something?

I could be confusing stories. I'm not sure.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

STAC Goat posted:

I vaguely recall a thing where HHH was trying to get the locker room to forgive Hogan, made a direct appeal to the New Day to speak out in his defense, and spun it into like a "don't let yourself be recorded and stay off social media" thing instead of a racism thing. But the New Day scoffed and it kind of died down or something?

The locker room non-apology/warning about being recorded was Hogan himself after he'd been taken off the poo poo list.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

They had the entire lockerroom in the building and ambushed them with the Hulk Hogan return and apology.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

STAC Goat posted:

The New Day's response to the Hogan stuff was a masterclass in classiness.

They never yelled, they didn't throw a fit, they didn't even get as angry as they have the right to. They put forward their position, "He's a racist arsehole, and I don't like him and he hasn't sincerely apologised. This is all we will say on the matter." and have quietly moved on. While Hogan sooks about how all the wrestlers should support him, and his real crime was getting caught/videoed etc.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I also know they asked about Ultimate Warrior and demanded proof that he’s dead
I don't remember that last part.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I honestly have no idea, that’s why I’m asking.

I also know they asked about Ultimate Warrior and demanded proof that he’s dead.

*Vince sighs and has Warriors bone saw dismembered corpse brought in*

"Just how ya like 'em, pal!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So photorealistic I thought it was the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TheKingslayer posted:

*Vince sighs and has Warriors bone saw dismembered corpse brought in*

"Just how ya like 'em, pal!"

Randy Savage is also dead.