Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Oh hey, Teague did two King adaptations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Give Carpenter Rose Madder.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Carpenter might do a good job with Revival. He was good at building tension and an air of unease before everything hit the fan in his horror "trilogy".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tim Burton's The Shining starring Johnny Depp as Jack Torrance and Helena Bonham Carter as Wendy Torrance. Music by Danny Elfman.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Tim Burton's The Shining starring Johnny Depp as Jack Torrance and Helena Bonham Carter as Wendy Torrance. Music by Danny Elfman.

He dumped HBC for Eva Green, but yeah pretty much. Also featuring Terrence Stamp as Scatman Crothers as Hallorann and Deep Roy as Danny.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cujo the dog would be CGI nowadays

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Isn't Johnny Depp basically becoming Jack Torrance?

Davros1 posted:

Cujo the dog would be CGI nowadays

Same with Christine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BiggerBoat posted:

Jack Torrance is supposed to be 29 in the book.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Depp is the victim of abuse which maybe led to his alcoholism so it's not exactly the same.

Where is The Stand movie? This is like the perfect time for it.

Also I thought Carrie was the best King film. The original one, I mean. Never saw the remake.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

E: no

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 27, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

NikkolasKing posted:

Depp is the victim of abuse which maybe led to his alcoholism so it's not exactly the same.

Where is The Stand movie? This is like the perfect time for it.

They did a 4-episode miniseries in 94 that wasn't bad, if you weren't aware.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They're making a new Stand mini series for CBS' streaming

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Most of what the '94 Stand had going for it was casting and the soundtrack.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
So now seems like the perfect time for me to get around to reading The Stand. As I understand it there are a bunch of different editions of the book and a lot of talk about which one people should read. Is there a general thread consensus on which one is the best? I'd prefer to read a version that doesn't have a bunch of clumsy updates and just flat-out takes place in the 70's, but are there some drawbacks to that version of the book?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
All the versions kind of blend together for me. If you have an original book it’s set in 1980. The paperback edition is set in 1985 and I think there are 2 expanded editions, one with some “modern” updates.

I liked all the extra Captain Trips stuff in the expanded editions. I’ve heard the original is better, but I’ve read/listened to every version and I can’t tell the difference. It’s not like the 1990 version is significantly different than the 1980 one. No one has cell phones. If you want The Stand with cell phones, read Cell.

Don’t read Cell.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 28, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Pretty sure the original release doesn’t have the “no great loss” chapter, which is one of the best things King has ever written.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The original version will be the one with no confusing modernization attempts. But it will be missing some good content, and some bizarre and bad content as well (good: No Great Loss, bad: The Kid). I'd say pick your poison. Or just read the original and then look up the No Great Loss chapter online or something.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

How awkward is the 'modernization' stuff, anyway? I always figured it wasn't anything too noticeable or intrusive, and that he just cleared up some of the more anachronistic dialogue to make it less particular to that period of time (circa 1980) and not necessarily 'modern' but just more generalized. It's a big problem when trying to use street argot, it tends to date VERY quickly, in a matter of 1-3 like 1-3 years. The best books that utilize street slang prominently and in a really good way that never seems dated are the books where the writer has created his own street argot in whatever manner he chooses. The best example is probably A Clockwork Orange; Alex and his droogs will never sound dated or specific to any period, because the slang they used and the way they talked was so inventive and unique. To me, they sound simultaneously futuristic and very old-school, which is a very cool trick, and what Kubrick was going for initially.

I never felt like Stephen King was all that good at working his own made-up language (well, it's not like he ever made grammar or more than a handful of words I think) for the Dark Tower series. I really enjoyed reading it, but I always felt like the way he interspersed stuff like "thankee sai" was a bit silly and awkward at times.. But you know, even then it still retained a certain lovable quality :)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Don’t read Cell.

Listen to this person.

I sweat to god, I've never read another book that just falls off a loving cliff quite like this one. I've quit on books before but god drat this one basically committed suicide.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know for a fact I’ve read “Cell” but I couldn’t tell you anything more than cell phones somehow made zombies but not everyone for some reason

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I barely remember Cell. I remember the beginning because the beginning was great, and I remember something about radios and a football stadium, and I remember it sucking.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
King books often falter at the end. Cell is unique in that the ending was about 400 pages long.

Why I kept reading that I don't know. The ending made me angry.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

kaworu posted:

How awkward is the 'modernization' stuff, anyway?

It's not terrible or anything, especially since (as I recall) it's only prevalent in the first part of the book, but it is noticeable, if only because it's not consistent.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Untrustable posted:

He did In The Mouth of Madness which is just a Lovecraft story featuring Stephen King with the serial numbers filed off.

Do you read Sutter Kane?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

It's not terrible or anything, especially since (as I recall) it's only prevalent in the first part of the book, but it is noticeable, if only because it's not consistent.

It's definitely annoying, but I always say read the longer version.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

oldpainless posted:

I know for a fact I’ve read “Cell” but I couldn’t tell you anything more than cell phones somehow made zombies but not everyone for some reason

I bought Cell and From a Buick 8 at a charity shop for a buck a piece.

The best thing that happened was that the charity shop got two bucks.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why are people so harsh on Buick 8? Cell, I get, because it's an incredible example of watching a book get worse through every chapter, but Buick 8 has a good cast of characters, a nice mystery, and a good, weird, atmosphere.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m not gonna say “don’t read Cell”. I am gonna say “stop reading Cell after they set off a bomb”. The beginning of that book rules so very, very much, the back half sucks, and the contrast is why everyone hates it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The bomb killed off all the bad guys, the end.

No one reading Cell today would believe mobile phones could last weeks without power.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Do you read Sutter Kane?

Nah I actually am an unwitting character in one of his novels. I run a gas station that has demons in it or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

The bomb killed off all the bad guys, the end.

No one reading Cell today would believe mobile phones could last weeks without power.

Or would pick up a call from a random number.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
king's luddism in that book is even more quaint considering it was written in the pre-smartphone days

you're going to the barricades against the old clamshell cell phones, dude? they were basically paperweights with antennas on

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

King writing kids dialogue in Under the Dome was especially bad, as i remember

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Why are people so harsh on Buick 8? Cell, I get, because it's an incredible example of watching a book get worse through every chapter, but Buick 8 has a good cast of characters, a nice mystery, and a good, weird, atmosphere.

:same:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

oldpainless posted:

King writing kids dialogue in Under the Dome was especially bad, as i remember

I hardly remember them but I remember thinking they were the cool 90’s skateboard kids trope mixed with hackers that did unrealistic stuff.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Leavemywife posted:

Yeah, I've never understood the hate. I really enjoyed it for the weird little story it was.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The weird anachronisms in The Stand work now that it's been tied into the Dark Tower.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BiggerBoat posted:

I like Christine and Cujo more than most here (the movies and the ) and would like to have seen Carpenter take another shot at a King script even though I can't think of one offhand that lends itself to his style. Trying to think of a King adaptation that would have benefited from what Carpenter does, preferably one that sucks. First one I thought of was The Mist but I liked that movie so...

Maybe Pet Semetary, Children of the Corn, Silver Bullet, Graveyard Shift and even Firestarter I can all see benefiting from Carpenter's direction.

Best King director is Rob Reiner.

Imagine a Carpenter version of the Running Man.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What's this about Luddism? Are we talking about The Stand? I haven't read the other books being discussed but I don't think The Stand was anti-technology so much as it was sort of...Spartan? Spartan In the sense of an austere conception of discipline and community. Such a thing being necessary after the complete collapse of civilization and government makes sense. Foregoing excess and forging close bonds would be vital in such a world.

But this is different from thinking science is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Nah, Stephen King didn't like cell phones, so he's clearly a Luddite.