Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The local grocery store has a "fill your own kombucha jug" tap that they closed weeks ago. I imagine that anything like that that the general public can get their hands on is impossible to keep clean.

They also banned reusable bags for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sheetz has no more self serve coffee or fountain drinks

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

I'd love to see the not-normal design.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Watching Defunctland of Youtube, I am made aware of this promo video for Splash Mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4FH5ijZ3iM

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The MSJ posted:

Watching Defunctland of Youtube, I am made aware of this promo video for Splash Mountain.

Defunctland is fantastic at getting me interested in theme parks, which is something that I had absolutely no care for beforehand. Blame growing up in a city without one and a family that didn't really take holidays, so they never existed as 'real places' to me back when I would've been interested.

One of my favorite consistent themes is Michael Eisner correctly identifying the dearth of things to engage teenagers at the Disney parks at the time (these days Marvel and Star Wars have alleviated that) and his consistent failure to actually solve this problem. Guy just kept trying, and kept loving it up, usually about this badly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The MSJ posted:

God, it's weird how for so long people just had no idea what "rap" implied beyond weirdly rhythmic singing

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: talk of take-away alcohol.

Does America not have drive-through bottle shops?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

BrigadierSensible posted:

depends on the state, county, and town

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Brew thrus exist, and they are good

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

InediblePenguin posted:

And what day of the week it is

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Brew thrus exist, and they are good

Is that just what you call drive through bottle shops, or does it mean something else?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

InediblePenguin posted:

This.

Never ask "Does America have X" unless it's something like universal healthcare. We're a conglomeration of states across a landmass bigger than most of Europe with virtually every climate type (Texas alone is bigger than multiple European countries) and the individual states have slightly less independence than members of the EU.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Flagstaff Arizona had a drive through guns, liquor, and tobacco store for the longest time. One stop shop for ammo, booze, and smokes.

They presumably made you go inside for the guns due to paperwork. But by the time I was old enough to enter ATF: Retail it was just a gun store and the drive through was boarded up.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

In Texas, which is a little larger than France, some towns have places that let you buy styrofoam cup 44oz margaritas in your car and drive away with a piece of paper over the straw to make sure it’s ‘not an open container.’ Some towns are considered ‘dry’ and do not sell liquor. I think some are even 100% dry and don’t even sell beer or wine, though that sort of teetotaling may be relegated to Utah.

The same goes for counties (larger municipal areas that tend to include several towns) which have their own patchwork of laws that interact with, inform, or countermand city ordinances.

And that’s just one state.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Monkey posted:

In Texas, which is a little larger than France, some towns have places that let you buy styrofoam cup 44oz margaritas in your car and drive away with a piece of paper over the straw to make sure it’s ‘not an open container.’ Some towns are considered ‘dry’ and do not sell liquor. I think some are even 100% dry and don’t even sell beer or wine, though that sort of teetotaling may be relegated to Utah.

The same goes for counties (larger municipal areas that tend to include several towns) which have their own patchwork of laws that interact with, inform, or countermand city ordinances.

And that’s just one state.

Nah, you have dry counties and towns all over the US. Lucky for them, there's usually a liquor store right over the county line, making it moot.

EDIT:
Hell, when I lived in Kansas, you could only buy 3.2% malt liquor in gas stations and grocery stores, and there were plenty of counties where 3.2% was all you could buy in them.

Several counties also required you to make over, I think it was 60% of sales from food in order to sell liquor.

This was also the state that first instilled prohibition, long before the amendment, and only repealed it after WWII, for private clubs only. Most clubs at the time would just make you buy a prepaid card as membership, which was worth a certain number of drinks.

Public bars weren't even legal until the 80's, and even then each county had to vote on it individually.

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Mar 26, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Nah, you have dry counties and towns all over the US. Lucky for them, there's usually a liquor store right over the county line, making it moot.

EDIT:
Hell, when I lived in Kansas, you could only buy 3.2% malt liquor in gas stations and grocery stores, and there were plenty of counties where 3.2% was all you could buy in them.

Several counties also required you to make over, I think it was 60% of sales from food in order to sell liquor.

This was also the state that first instilled prohibition, long before the amendment, and only repealed it after WWII, for private clubs only. Most clubs at the time would just make you buy a prepaid card as membership, which was worth a certain number of drinks.

Public bars weren't even legal until the 80's, and even then each county had to vote on it individually.

And unlucky for anyone that lives between the dry town and the liquor store/bars, where you will find crazy rates of drunk driving.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

This.

Never ask "Does America have X" unless it's something like universal healthcare. We're a conglomeration of states across a landmass bigger than most of Europe with virtually every climate type (Texas alone is bigger than multiple European countries) and the individual states have slightly less independence than members of the EU.

The United States is still very much it's own cultural behemoth. Even if your particular state doesn't have drive through liquor stores, the fact that there are states that do is fascinating and hilarious.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beartaco posted:

The United States is still very much it's own cultural behemoth. Even if your particular state doesn't have drive through liquor stores, the fact that there are states that do is fascinating and hilarious.

We have them in Ohio, they're called "Pony Kegs" in Cincinnati for some reason. Legally the highest percentage they can sell is 12% (same with grocery stores). It's the diluted liquor, wine, or beer.

I've found that you can actually get a buzz faster with the dilute.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Oregon has the state liquor control commission, which has a monopoly on liquor sales and also issues the permits for beer and wine. The only stores that sell anything over like 12% are run by the OLCC. It's annoying to make two stops when stocking up for a party, but it has the advantage that prices are consistent across the state. We also had the infrastructure in place to be one of the first states to legalize recreational marijuana.

Every couple years I used to drive to Reno and stop off at the Costco in Redding to fill my trunk with handles of Cuervo and Tanqueray for like $15 a pop, but I don't drink very much anymore so I'm well-stocked for the current apocalypse. :cool:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Is that just what you call drive through bottle shops, or does it mean something else?

its what i call them, i dont know about outside virginia

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Isn't the outside of Virginia called the Labinia?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This implies the clitoris would be in KY, makes sense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I just got some Domino’s coupons in the mail!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mandatory lesbian posted:

its what i call them, i dont know about outside virginia

I wasn't aware there were any in Virginia. Lol we're basically two completely different states.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Had this through my door the other day:

Oh excellent I can save some money whilst I bury all my dead relatives, that’ll be nice

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There are two regular funeral home ads I see often.

One is for the Surprise Funeral Home. (in the city of Surprise)

The other is the Rude Family Funeral Home.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don’t know where else to put this. Is there a false advertising thread?

https://twitter.com/philkensaban/status/1243315350046941185?s=21

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Had this through my door the other day:

Oh excellent I can save some money whilst I bury all my dead relatives, that’ll be nice

Put some dead presidents in your pocket while you put your dead relatives in the ground!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Henchman of Santa posted:

That is in fact violence. A Cubano has pork, not <spits> turkey breast. And it doesn't have loving Italian dressing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
gently caress, now I want a Cuban sandwich

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Welcome to Bird's Bakery. Our special is the classic PB&J: honey, figs and rich almond butter on a freshly baked and lightly grilled baguette. No we don't know what 'PB&J' stands for why do you ask

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Welcome to Bird's Bakery. Our special is the classic PB&J: honey, figs and rich almond butter on a freshly baked and lightly grilled baguette. No we don't know what 'PB&J' stands for why do you ask

Phigs, Baguette, and a Jar of other stuff

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cowslips Warren posted:

There are two regular funeral home ads I see often.

One is for the Surprise Funeral Home. (in the city of Surprise)

The other is the Rude Family Funeral Home.

"How was your experience with Rude Family?"
"Fine for the most part, but they could work on their tact."
"Well it's no Surprise."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3HehLKqxsY

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

We have an Assman's funeral chapel here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are...are Cubanos a spectrum too?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Hey, it has pickles and mustard! That counts for something, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

The chef is cuban, so...