Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's why they had medicinal alcohol during prohibition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mrfart posted:

Wasn't there a scientist who wanted to go find the bodies of people who died of the Spanish flu somewhere in the arctic, to get a nice specimen of the Spanish flu?
Something that made a lot of people rather nervous for some reason.

They disinterred Mark Sykes for it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Whenever I drink it eases up my allergies so I think it's just alcohol making your immune system chill out and suck balls

60% alcohol will kill the virus, so if you are drinking 6% ABV beers, you need to have like 10 of them, at least.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Drunk Nerds posted:

60% alcohol will kill the virus, so if you are drinking 6% ABV beers, you need to have like 10 of them, at least.

I'm drinking Everclear

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Zugzwang posted:

Real good tweet storm (check out the replies) from an M.D., Ph.D. here talking about immunity:
https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1240689935557865472

tl;dr: For the garden variety coronaviruses that most of us have probably gotten at some point, immunity doesn't seem to last more than a year-ish. Obviously we don't know how well that maps on to this one, but it's the best model we've got right now.

Once serology tests are rolled out in large numbers (a number HAVE gotten CE Mark approval already, not sure of FDA status), we'll at least be able to tell who's been exposed. Invariably, we're talking about folks who had few or no symptoms here. They'll have at least two things going for them:
(1) They can go about their lives more normally (at least until immunity wears off), since they have antibodies against it
(2) They can donate their plasma to help save the critically ill via said antibodies.

Kinda disheartening though to think that this fucker might become just another virus that's always floating around, like the common cold viruses and the ever-mutating Influenza. If so, then even after the initial disruption from the pandemic comes to some kind of stable equilibrium, there'll be a nonzero chance you can catch this potentially super-nasty virus at any time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a great future where the covid compromised populations will be extinct and no-one lives past 75, except for the elite that pump yearly anti-bodied blood transfusions and live to 150.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

It's a great future where the covid compromised populations will be extinct and no-one lives past 75, except for the elite that pump yearly anti-bodied blood transfusions and live to 150.
If a vaccine works well enough for a few years, I wonder if that wouldn't be enough to eradicate it, or at least eradicate that strain. We got rid of smallpox because it infected only humans and nothing else, so once no humans had it, :byewhore:

Obvious counterpoint: the anti-vaxxers. :suicide:

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Hey goons.

Today I felt okay in the morning. Now by nighttime where I live, I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. My whole body aches. Fever is 100.0 on the loving dot.

No cough yet so maybe it’s not the thing.

If I die I’ll haunt the forums.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Eradicating it would necessitate vaccinating nearly everyone on earth, and probably murdering every bat

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Heath posted:

Eradicating it would necessitate vaccinating nearly everyone on earth, and probably murdering every bat
So the pangolins are safe then?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Hey goons.

Today I felt okay in the morning. Now by nighttime where I live, I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. My whole body aches. Fever is 100.0 on the loving dot.

No cough yet so maybe it’s not the thing.

If I die I’ll haunt the forums.

I had the aches 3-4 hours before the cough, the aches were the worst part. That or the headache+cough combo. Felt like my eye was exploding.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Zugzwang posted:

Real good tweet storm (check out the replies) from an M.D., Ph.D. here talking about immunity:
https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1240689935557865472

tl;dr: For the garden variety coronaviruses that most of us have probably gotten at some point, immunity doesn't seem to last more than a year-ish. Obviously we don't know how well that maps on to this one, but it's the best model we've got right now.

Once serology tests are rolled out in large numbers (a number HAVE gotten CE Mark approval already, not sure of FDA status), we'll at least be able to tell who's been exposed. Invariably, we're talking about folks who had few or no symptoms here. They'll have at least two things going for them:
(1) They can go about their lives more normally (at least until immunity wears off), since they have antibodies against it
(2) They can donate their plasma to help save the critically ill via said antibodies.

Kinda disheartening though to think that this fucker might become just another virus that's always floating around, like the common cold viruses and the ever-mutating Influenza. If so, then even after the initial disruption from the pandemic comes to some kind of stable equilibrium, there'll be a nonzero chance you can catch this potentially super-nasty virus at any time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They note that even though people have been reinfected, they don't display symptoms.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Play posted:

After this is all over, it goes without saying that practices will need to change with regards to wet markets in China and animal selling. Even more, I would think that the way bats are handled and their interactions with domesticated animals would bear thinking about. We don't know for sure if the virus passed from bat to pangolin at the market itself but it seems likely, right? All these deadly diseases coming from bats, and this one worst of all, has got to change something I would think.

One small win I hope for out of this is that the CCP ruthlessly cracks down on the trade of pangolins and other rare animal products. Hopefully one of the cultural changes that comes about will be socially unacceptable to harvest and exploit rare or wild animals.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Illuminti posted:

One small win I hope for out of this is that the CCP ruthlessly cracks down on the trade of pangolins and other rare animal products. Hopefully one of the cultural changes that comes about will be socially unacceptable to harvest and exploit rare or wild animals.

this was a nothingburger for china and is going to put them into sole superpower status within a month lmao, theyre gonna eat pangolins like hotdogs now itll be a point of pride

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had the aches 3-4 hours before the cough, the aches were the worst part. That or the headache+cough combo. Felt like my eye was exploding.

Yeah headache is bad. I get migraines so I know my head pains and this is definitely a sick headache.

I’m young n don’t smoke (though I did for a year or three, before) so I should lick this thing.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I should lick this thing.

Bleach it first

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

If a vaccine works well enough for a few years, I wonder if that wouldn't be enough to eradicate it, or at least eradicate that strain. We got rid of smallpox because it infected only humans and nothing else, so once no humans had it, :byewhore:

Obvious counterpoint: the anti-vaxxers. :suicide:

Yeah, like we successfully eradicated the flu thanks to vaccines

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mass isolation isn't a cure. We're just buying time. Time to test treatments. Time to get more equipment.

It isn't just about deaths, either. Survivors of all ages are coming out of this with permanent lung damage. If we can come up with a treatment that makes the disease less severe we don't just save lives, we reduces permanent disability.

We also have options between total lockdown and back to normal.

We don't know if the lung damage is permanent yet, or how many people will have that after treatment.

And I am not disagreeing with implementing a South Korea still indefinitely. But pretending we can do this "no one goes to work"thing for more than a few months is a joke.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tater_salad posted:

I did it CV thread.. I found myself some nitrile gloves..

These seem like the dumbest PPE for this imo. You get corona on the outside of them it’s probably gonna get on your skin while you’re taking them off or has already gotten on your face or in your urethra anyway. I have 200 nitrile gloves because I use them for handling Carolina reapers making hot sauce and I don’t see much use for them. If you touch a grocery cart or gas pump or ATM or strangers penis just don’t touch your mouth until you wash your hands the gloves don’t really help.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yeah, like we successfully eradicated the flu thanks to vaccines

Uh the reason flu can't be eradicated is because it infects other animals and undergoes genetic drift and shift.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's a specific way to remove nitrile gloves to keep from soiling your hands that involves rolling them into each other as you take them off

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

coronavirus posted:

We don't know if the lung damage is permanent yet, or how many people will have that after treatment.

I'm the non-permanently damaged liquefied lungs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My MiL(66) is a dietician in Florida; she authorizes people for WIC on a month by month basis.

They're still having her come in for interviews instead of doing it over the phone or just auto-renewing. Heaven forbid that someone gets an extra month of benefits when they improved enough the month before.

She likes Trump's optimism.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”

February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”

February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”

February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”

February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”

February 28: “Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that, right? Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa.” “They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”

March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”

March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”

March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”

March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”

March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”

March 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”

March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”

March 9: “This blindsided the world.”

Edit: March 9: "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.”

March 10: "It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

March 13: National Emergency Declaration

March 13: “I don't take responsibility at all”

March 15: "TODAY IS A NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER. GOD BLESS EVERYONE!"

March 16: "I give myself a 10 out of 10"

March 16: “I’ve always known this is a, this is a real, this is a pandemic, I’ve felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic” source

March 17: "It snuck up on us." source

March 22: “It is absolutely critical that Americans continue to follow the federal government’s guidelines. So important about social distancing, non-essential travel, and hand-washing.”

March 23: Democratic concerns have focused on a $500 billion funding program Republicans want to create for loans and loan guarantees, with some Democrats calling it a “slush fund” that lacks any oversight because the Treasury Department would have broad discretion over who receives the money. Asked about this Monday evening, Trump responded, “I’ll be the oversight.” The vote Monday was 49 to 46, well short of the 60-vote threshold needed to advance the legislation for a final debate.

March 24: “THE CURE CANNOT BE WORSE (by far) THAN THE PROBLEM!”

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kharmakazy posted:

Lol if you think the USA is any better than China. We have our own concentration camps, and the brown shirts are literally checking hospitals for illegal immigrants so they can put them in general population and kick off the inevitable genocide.

We’re not. We’re not saying we’re not trash we’re just saying China is also trash.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

Like, maybe 10? You should seriously consider cutting back, that's straight up alcoholism

Shut. Up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird with big dick posted:

These seem like the dumbest PPE for this imo. You get corona on the outside of them it’s probably gonna get on your skin while you’re taking them off or has already gotten on your face or in your urethra anyway. I have 200 nitrile gloves because I use them for handling Carolina reapers making hot sauce and I don’t see much use for them. If you touch a grocery cart or gas pump or ATM or strangers penis just don’t touch your mouth until you wash your hands the gloves don’t really help.

Make reaper sauce without the gloves.

I wore gloves all drat day at my last job (weed farm) because weed is sticky. Seriously, wet trimming without gloves, your hands are nothing but sticky wonderfulness ready to be aggressively rubbed off and smoked. You can't touch anything without noticeable tack, including your face, obviously. You could always tell who wore gloves and who didn't just by looking at everyones' phones.

It's more that you have to be aware of what you're touching on yourself and when. You can remove gloves without contaminating yourself, just like you can take them off without getting pepper juices on your skin. Like anything else, it comes down to awareness.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yes I do, very faintly now. I know for a fact I got TB vaccinated, it's one of the leading causes of death in SA.

You lucky fucker

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ebola Roulette posted:

Uh the reason flu can't be eradicated is because it infects other animals and undergoes genetic drift and shift.

Yeah just like corona has and will

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

tractor fanatic posted:

They note that even though people have been reinfected, they don't display symptoms.

This is actually a good thing, because the last thing we need is Dengue Fever II: Electric Boogaloo.

Yeah just like corona has and will

Good news: It mutates slower than the flu by a factor of 4, according to the Washington doctor tracking its genetic drift, which means once we get out in front of it, we may very well be able to actually beat it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Make reaper sauce without the gloves.

lol no.

I made a heavy habanero marinade for jerky a couple weeks ago. The palms of my hands can/did handle it but reaching into the gallon ziplocks also got it on the back of my hands and loving wrecked my skin. My skin is sensitive as hell. Soft and sensual, but sensitive.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Now heres a scary little metric to go off.

https://telanganatoday.com/coronavirus-casualties-may-be-higher-in-china-than-reported

The Xi Jinping government which controls all the news and information, claims that 3,270 people have died and 81,093 infected in China due to COVID-19, which originated in Wuhan city of Hubei province. However, several Chinese civilians have leaked out videos and documents disputing these numbers, with many pointing to the drop in cellphone users by 21 million in the last three months.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

klafbang posted:

there is no way to predict the slop for the next 10 days.

The slop for the next ten days will be unmanageable if you keep posting.

Also: https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2020/03/26/coronavirus-santa-rosa-infant-under-1-youngest-case-florida/2922534001/

quote:

Escambia and Santa Rosa counties saw seven new coronavirus cases throughout the day Thursday, including an infant boy under the age of 1.

The Santa Rosa child is the youngest person in Florida with the coronavirus. There also is a 2-year-old Santa Rosa boy whose case was reported on Wednesday.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gearhead posted:

Good news: It mutates slower than the flu by a factor of 4, according to the Washington doctor tracking its genetic drift, which means once we get out in front of it,

So far have had zero luck in this department

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Now heres a scary little metric to go off.

https://telanganatoday.com/coronavirus-casualties-may-be-higher-in-china-than-reported

The Xi Jinping government which controls all the news and information, claims that 3,270 people have died and 81,093 infected in China due to COVID-19, which originated in Wuhan city of Hubei province. However, several Chinese civilians have leaked out videos and documents disputing these numbers, with many pointing to the drop in cellphone users by 21 million in the last three months.

Several chinese cities have been completely locked down for 2.5 months INCLUDING ALL THE BUSINESSES inside them. But yes, continue to not brain and listen to 4chan instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MadJackal posted:

Day 5

“If you’re going to stroll around here, you’re going to need full PPE”

“Usually takes about 20 minutes, then everyone’s arms get tired”

If this hospital is at war, it’s ceding territory at an alarming rate.

Here’s the layout of the field: we’ve got medsurg wings on the cardinal points of the compass (except 2SW for some reason) in a somewhat random pattern from first floor to fifth: 1N, 2S, 2SW, 3N, 3E, 5E, 5S. The ICU, CCU, CICU, and SICU are floating around the periphery of the 3rd floor.

By the time I started Day 1, 2SW and 5E were already on lockdown and designated as COVID territory. My team alone had a total of two pending and one confirmed COVID cases.

By Day 2, the CICU became a conflict zone and joined 2S and 5E. 5 COVIDS or pendings.

By Day 3, my team had pending tests in 5S as well. 6 COVIDs or pendings.

By Day 4, the 5th and 2nd floors were entirely given over to COVID. 3E still had some non-COVID evacuees waiting to be transferred to the last bastions of 1N and 3N. Everything ending with -CU is overrun by this point.

It’s Day 5. My census stands at 15, of which 9 are COVID positive. There’s talk of clearing out 1N sooner or later even.

The hospital is fairing less well: of the 170 or so inpatients (not counting the 25 or so Greater ICU COVID positive people on vents), 100 are COVID positive, and a third more have pending tests.

So those are the numbers. Actually walking the halls puts the change from Day 1 to Day 5 in starker contrast.

The amount of PPE used per nurse or CNA has steadily increased. On any floor (except the Last Bastion wings), if you squint your eyes all you can see is uniform green paper scrubs with blue hairnets and and blue paper booties and blue paper masks +/- an N95 underneath. If you look further down the hall you’ll see a spray of yellow as one of them gowns up to enter a patient’s room. (The nurses have been using Sharpies to write their names on the paper gowns so people can tell each other apart.)

Maybe you’ll spot a Resident in a long white coat rush by.

And by every single door on wheeled tables usually topped with hospital food are boxes and boxes of blue gloves and yellow gowns. Might be my imagination, but the boxes of face masks are disconcertingly not as ubiquitous.

The Greater ICU is less colorful. Just window after window of people on vents. Walk the whole length of it and count maybe one person who’s conscious. Most don’t look like our usual ICU clientele of the cachectic elderly. These are mostly men (my imagination?) ranging from their 50-70s.

I made the mistake of asking who the youngest intubated COVID patient on the unit was.

Younger than me.

So we finish at the ED. It’s not chaotic like a Saturday night. Sure there are a few beds in the hallways, but that’s nothing new. I walked the length of it too. Some people on oxygen here and there, wider variety of ages.

Lots of people getting gowned up to enter rooms though. And I know we’re supposed to take them off at the door of the patient’s room, why are people walking around-

“HEY! If you’re going to stroll around here, you’re going to need full PPE. With an N95 on!”

The ED is now considered COVID home territory.

I don’t feel like a soldier. I don’t feel brave for showing up to my job. I most certainly don’t feel like a hero.

I feel like the tide came in way too fast and everything around me is starting to go underwater.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

17,000 cases today... Almost exactly a 1.33 multiplier from yesterday

Tomorrow if it keeps pace, and why would it not,

22,600 new cases in one day in the US

Reset the clock

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Illuminti posted:

I got some bad news for you...
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/chinese-government-promotes-bear-bile-as-coronavirus-covid19-treatment/

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I can't believe that I can't go outside because of milky pangolin tits in a globalized world that pretends it isn't globalized. You really hate to see it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Then why do hospitals, nurses, EMTs, doctors, etc use them?

They help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Spinz posted:

You lucky fucker

haha what, does having this old vaccine scar make me safer or something? heck yeah if so