Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

spoiler alert: they wear camouflage in the office

edit, oh yeah, once they figure out it was not a bad actor doing it, the machine is tossed into an incinerator

is it at least office-color camouflage, or do they have to like stand in front of a potted plant all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The "Count number of people in a room" sounds, uh, interesting too: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360031027111-Count-Attendees-in-Zoom-Rooms

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Trabisnikof posted:

Does anyone know anything about the audio stenography that Zoom has where you can theoretically send in a video recorded of a private meeting and they'll tell you who recorded it?

I hadn't seen a similar feature widely deployed before.

I don’t know about what zoom uses, but used to work with this. This is very widely deployed. Any pay tv has it (typically in video, though), any news telegram has it (and it is tracked worldwide), it is built into blueray (how relevant!) and all movie screeners has it in abundance. Video watermarks are typically preferred over audio, as it is hard to make audio watermarks that are hard to compress away while still being inaudible.

The video part was invented at Philips decades ago. The idea is to make small but systematic changes to the video signal. You do it using random dithering and at the sub-pixel level to make it hard to remove. You watermark harder near strong signals (lot of movement or near edges). You interleave watermarked and non-watermarked frames, and can store 1-16 bits/frame. To make it resilient, you apply heaps of error correction code. Watermarks come with different properties (how long snippet is needed, is it resilient to flipping/camming/decompression/..., forensic, fast to recognize etc).

It can be applied in roughly real time for 4K video in software on a 5 years old CPU (that was one of the more sophisticated algorithms).

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

at work they made a big announcement about split tunneling to help vpn capacity but either they hosed up configuring it or just blatantly lied and want to catch people loving around.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Does anyone know anything about the audio stenography that Zoom has where you can theoretically send in a video recorded of a private meeting and they'll tell you who recorded it?

I hadn't seen a similar feature widely deployed before.
This post was extremely confusing until I realized you mean "steganography."

Jewel
May 2, 2009

cool honeypot

https://twitter.com/said_mitch/status/1242200360418246657

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

you download the app, the fbi find out what you did, they come for you, you start running

seems like it would work for fitness what's the problem?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

power botton posted:

at work they made a big announcement about split tunneling to help vpn capacity but either they hosed up configuring it or just blatantly lied and want to catch people loving around.

We have a separate circuit for vpn, so full tunnel doesn’t actually consume much more bandwidth than just having people in the office, then again we have :homebrew: for IT infrastructure and colocate at a major PoP

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kazinsal posted:

agreed - at the very least, consumer CPUs have had hardware virtualization acceleration for over a decade so there's no reason not to VPN into work through a virtual machine with no access to your home network.

I have multiple machines

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
law enforcement wouldn't care if you're fit, that's clearly from the female body inspectors

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The sad but realistic answer here is that they just declare a bunch of poo poo because this is something a garbage contactor slapped on a garbage framework using things they saw on stack overflow until the codes work.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Volmarias posted:

The sad but realistic answer here is that they just declare a bunch of poo poo because this is something a garbage contactor slapped on a garbage framework using things they saw on stack overflow until the codes work.

it's this. google does not give two shits if your app manifest is jacked up, or if you're shipping five third-party libraries in your apk that aren't even reachable from your code, or any of the other million ways that an app can be garbage

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I remember helping someone with their VPN setup and I was pretty new to VPN support. They were sending all traffic over the tunnel and I kept asking questions about why isn't the traffic scoped to one range, and they were trying to explain it to me without saying 'we want to spy on people' and anyway it clicked for me like a day later.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Volmarias posted:

that’s our anroid :nsa:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ewiley posted:

We have a separate circuit for vpn, so full tunnel doesn’t actually consume much more bandwidth than just having people in the office, then again we have :homebrew: for IT infrastructure and colocate at a major PoP

my work is also colocated at major poop

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bulgakov posted:

that’s our anroid :nsa:

Like people developing for other platforms aren't doing the exact same thing

Like we ourselves aren't doing the exact same thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

if u think about it life is just one big app that requests all your permissions all the time whether or not it needs them or you want to give them

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Volmarias posted:

apple at least gives a few token shits about the apps published for ios. google only cares when there's a media expose about all the billion-download apps that are harvesting creds and secretly recording video

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

apple at least gives a few token shits about the apps published for ios.

yeah i bet they have a whole team just dedicated to CCP-requested app takedowns

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

if u think about it life is just one big app that requests all your permissions all the time whether or not it needs them or you want to give them

i dare bet that every sovereign citizen nut also micromanages their app permissions.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
record your consent to monitoring with our new app, joindr

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Soricidus posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Soricidus posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Soricidus posted:

Excuse me but your icon has a gold fringe around the outside of it, meaning that the ToS technically fall under admiralty law. Furthermore

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Soricidus posted:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Is there a way to restore windows file ACLs to whatever their defaults are? A windows 10 computer I janitor has somehow got hosed up in my absence, and isn't letting Administrators write to the system-wide start menu folder, programdata, and possibly elsewhere. This became apparent when installing a new piece of software.

Am I right in thinking icacls /reset /t C:\ will poo poo all over the ownership of the Users directory and make things worse?

It's just a bog standard Win 10 install (latest update), one user (admin), no manually shared directories or anything special

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
just flatten and reinstall

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

Is there a way to restore windows file ACLs to whatever their defaults are? A windows 10 computer I janitor has somehow got hosed up in my absence, and isn't letting Administrators write to the system-wide start menu folder, programdata, and possibly elsewhere. This became apparent when installing a new piece of software.

Am I right in thinking icacls /reset /t C:\ will poo poo all over the ownership of the Users directory and make things worse?

It's just a bog standard Win 10 install (latest update), one user (admin), no manually shared directories or anything special

yeah icacls /reset resets inheritance on child objects so youd just be fixing where inheritance was broken from the root. you can maybe try sfc /scannow which will repair some permissions issues. maybe try windows 10 reset which is the thing where it just resets windows but theoretically leaves your filez alone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ymgve posted:

just flatten and reinstall

its the only way to be sure

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

You could try icacls /save on a known good machine and restoring with /restore on the broken one.

Probably need to prune that list a bit before restoring to keep it to just the default files and folders for windows.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

deltree c:\

imo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
this is a good opportunity to install linux, op

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Soricidus posted:

this is a good opportunity to install linux, op

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

quick, someone post something about gentoo or funtoo or whatever the gently caress it's called

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

-funroll-all-loops

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

loled at --gently caress-upstream

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

you forgot about -0placebo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
x264 has a --tune placebo option and questions about why it doesn't compress any better than veryslow despite how much slower it is are much more common than they should be