Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

coronavirus posted:

We don't know if the lung damage is permanent yet, or how many people will have that after treatment.

And I am not disagreeing with implementing a South Korea still indefinitely. But pretending we can do this "no one goes to work"thing for more than a few months is a joke.

One of the awful but not quite dead effects of this is pulmonary fibrosis, when your body's immune system fucks up so bad that it replaces extremely specialized pulmonary tissue with simple scar tissue. Imagine replacing part of your car's engine with drywall and you get an idea of how useful scar tissue is to lung functionality. We can't reverse pulmonary fibrosis. There are some incredibly overpriced drugs that might slow its progression a little bit. About the only real thing we can offer to people with pulmonary fibrosis is to put them on the lung transplant waiting list. There weren't exactly an abundance of ready to transplant lungs before this pandemic, so I'm sure it'll be a great option afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've noticed this from the very beginning of the thread. A lot of you are loving retarded and need to stop giving out dangerous advice.

PPE works. 100%? Of course not. But each step you take is increasing the mitigation. If you are near a person with covid-19 and you walk past them and hold your breath, that increases your mitigation process. Is it stupid and probably won't help much? Sure. But it helps. (i know that's dumb I'm making a point)

If you are in a sealed room with someone with covid-19, that doesn't mean the room is 100% contaminated so you might as well not care.

ANY step you take to distance yourself or put some sort of barrier between you and the virus will help and is better than nothing. Anything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

21st Cherry boy posted:

Quick question, I've been using Lysol to sanitize a small enclosed working space (leaving the windows and door open as long as I can) but it makes me woozy and the chemicals irritate my throat. I've switched to spraying everything with 70% rubbing alcohol, is that effective enough?

Anyways update on my mom the nurse in the nursing home that ran out of masks and gowns weeks ago...she had some masks at home she uses to do home projects, she's been wearing those and her work said she's not allowed to use them because they're not the same kind they use in this nursing home (so they are trying to force her to use...absolutely nothing instead) so she got a letter from her doctor and a letter from a lawyer saying he'd represent her on contingency if she contracts the virus while not being allowed to wear ppe. They shut the gently caress up. :patriot:

It destroy viruses effectively but do not assume that you have sanitized a surface just because you sprayed some Lysol or rubbing alcohol around it

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Hey goons.

Today I felt okay in the morning. Now by nighttime where I live, I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. My whole body aches. Fever is 100.0 on the loving dot.

No cough yet so maybe it’s not the thing.

If I die I’ll haunt the forums.

Cough is not a universal symptom, and it can certainly develop later. Assume you have it. In fact, even if someone doesn't have symptoms they should assume they have it, since they could be asymptomatic. Don't panic, just try to deal with the symptoms and take care of yourself as much as you can, and if you can don't go anywhere (again, everyone should stop going places already).

tractor fanatic posted:

They note that even though people have been reinfected, they don't display symptoms.

That's definitely not always true; multiple documented cases in several Asian countries got re-tested because they were experiencing symptoms, but the second round was less severe. Other people in Asia who have re-tested positive did not display symptoms.

The test referred to in the tweet was an extremely small study (6 people out of 9 got reinfected and then displayed no symptoms).

Play posted:

Am I supposed to take your word for this? Trump not wanting the numbers to go up by keeping the cruise ship out actually indicates that he DOESN'T have the power to alter the numbers. The US has a free press and a free scientific community that is not entirely beholden to any one person's or any one organization's interests. That isn't the case in China, where literally everything belongs to the government and they have final say over any and all news and any and all numbers coming out of the country.

The difference is night and day. I realize you hate America, I do too but that's irrelevant here.

Everything else you mentioned is just a conspiracy, or irrelevant. For example, your governor encouraging people to work has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether the numbers are accurate. Your vague reference to "delayed testing" means absolutely nothing in the context of not having enough test kits to go around. You're just spouting whatever comes to mind

Play your commitment to misreading posts continues to astound and astonish. I know you're only half-aware of modern events at the best of time but come on, stop posting misinformed poo poo like this. You're as bad as the posters who pop in here with a log chart while saying "the growth rate isn't even exponential!"

Everything that Kharmakazy posted is really easy to verify; the CDC mandated arbitrarily strict requirements on who could be tested, including an international exposure requirement that was still in place weeks after documented community spread throughout the country, and the CDC literally ordered research labs to stop testing people because they were using their own kits instead of the tightly-rationed CDC ones. Talk all you want about how free US organizations are, but the US response wasn't just bungled due to incompetence; there was a deliberate effort to restrict the rate of testing early on there's been a veritable conga line of talking heads merrily downplaying the severity of all of this from the very beginning, literally discouraging people from practicing social distancing or seeking testing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Then why do hospitals, nurses, EMTs, doctors, etc use them?

They help.

He's not really wrong though. Intact skin is an excellent barrier against most stuff. Healthcare workers need it because you don't know when some old gently caress is going to cough in your face or wipe their dirty rear end hand on your scrubs and you don't notice it. And every surface in a hospital with suspected covid is treated as contaminated, so you have to protect against whatever incidental contact you may have.

For the average person self quarantining, only going out sparingly, gloves won't really protect any more than just avoiding touching your face until you have a chance to wash your hands. And as he said, removing gloves is almost 100% going to contaminate some of your skin, necessitating hand washing anyway.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Then why do hospitals, nurses, EMTs, doctors, etc use them?

They help.

medical professionals change gloves when interacting with a new patient, they don't just wander around all day wearing the same pair of gloves. random people do do that.

Stupid glove behavior ive witnessed or heard about untrained people doing -
-wearing a pair of gloves at work and then wearing those gloves to drive home.
-putting a glove in a purse and taking it out (and back in) whenever opening a door.
-having a shared glove to get chips out of a shared bag with (my mom, sigh)

from what ive seen in the current situation and my previous work experience (QA in a meat factory), gloves trigger a psychological mechanism that makes people feel like sanitation is happening because a glove is involved, without actually considering the mechanics of sanitation and pathogen transmission. I think this is harmful because it keeps people from following actual sanitation procedures.

Like maybe it seems obvious to you that 'if i touch an infected surface with my glove, the glove is now infected', but I assure you that is not obvious to a lot of people who are just desperate for a way to feel like they can interact with the world safely.

i wish more sanitizer was available because I think it's easier for people to recognize when their sanitized hands become unsanitary than when their sterile gloves become unsterile.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ocean Book posted:

medical professionals change gloves when interacting with a new patient, they don't just wander around all day wearing the same pair of gloves. random people do do that.

Can you guarantee that everyone that wears gloves who is not a medical professional doesn't ever change them?

Just because you assume everyone is an idiot doesn't mean they are.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've noticed this from the very beginning of the thread. A lot of you are loving retarded and need to stop giving out dangerous advice.

PPE works. 100%? Of course not. But each step you take is increasing the mitigation. If you are near a person with covid-19 and you walk past them and hold your breath, that increases your mitigation process. Is it stupid and probably won't help much? Sure. But it helps. (i know that's dumb I'm making a point)

If you are in a sealed room with someone with covid-19, that doesn't mean the room is 100% contaminated so you might as well not care.

ANY step you take to distance yourself or put some sort of barrier between you and the virus will help and is better than nothing. Anything.

Are you that poster who keeps getting confused by people urgently suggesting that n95 masks be donated to medical providers? Because no one is suggesting that a mask is completely ineffective, nor has that been done since the beginning of the thread; the point has always been that laymen who aren't trained in their use making weekly runs to the grocery store would be just as well-protected by a simple surgical mask or even just a piece of tissue paper wrapped over their nose and mouth and they should give the serious PPE to the medical professionals who need them right now. And I know that this has been re-explained over and over but maybe this time it will stick?

Note how bird with big dick, despite being kind of an idiot generally, is not giving inaccurate advice here: if you're not using gloves correctly, such as by touching bunch of public surfaces and then picking your nose, then you're not really reducing your exposure. They're not saying that gloves are completely ineffective at all.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
My favorite is the people who wear the same pair of gloves for everything — to a store, then when they drive their car, then when they go into their home. And when they’re touching their phones.

e:fb

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He's not really wrong though. Intact skin is an excellent barrier against most stuff. Healthcare workers need it because you don't know when some old gently caress is going to cough in your face or wipe their dirty rear end hand on your scrubs and you don't notice it. And every surface in a hospital with suspected covid is treated as contaminated, so you have to protect against whatever incidental contact you may have.

This seems like an excellent reason to wear gloves for anyone under a worldwide quarantine.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

Are you that poster who keeps getting confused by people urgently suggesting that n95 masks be donated to medical providers? Because no one is suggesting that a mask is completely ineffective, nor has that been done since the beginning of the thread; the point has always been that laymen who aren't trained in their use making weekly runs to the grocery store would be just as well-protected by a simple surgical mask or even just a piece of tissue paper wrapped over their nose and mouth and they should give the serious PPE to the medical professionals who need them right now. And I know that this has been re-explained over and over but maybe this time it will stick?

I'm not that person so don't give me your poo poo.

And a ton of people in here are 100% black and white. If you aren't in a tyvek suit with SCBA gear then you'll get the virus.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

coronavirus posted:

We don't know if the lung damage is permanent yet, or how many people will have that after treatment.

And I am not disagreeing with implementing a South Korea still indefinitely. But pretending we can do this "no one goes to work"thing for more than a few months is a joke.

Yeah the South Korea thing seems ideal. We don't really have any trained healthcare workers to spare, but I imagine nearly anyone could be trained to be a public temperature scanner person. Giving displaced hospitality workers jobs as temperature takers would be easier for the bootstraps fans to swallow than just giving them money.

People have put up with the TSA for nearly 20 years now, TSA-But-For-Fevers could be the hot new government agency.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I don't trust anyone who uses semi colons in gbs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm not that person so don't give me your poo poo.

And a ton of people in here are 100% black and white. If you aren't in a tyvek suit with SCBA gear then you'll get the virus.

Okay well you're posting the same stupid things that that other poster posts, so go with god I guess but if you want to talk about thread trends then how about you actually quote some of those posts. Even just one of them. Because the one you quoted wasn't doing any of this poo poo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Just because you assume everyone is an idiot doesn't mean they are.

It's way easier assuming they are, though.

Trust me, I'm an idiot, I see my people everywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bird with big dick posted:

These seem like the dumbest PPE for this imo. You get corona on the outside of them it’s probably gonna get on your skin while you’re taking them off or has already gotten on your face or in your urethra anyway. I have 200 nitrile gloves because I use them for handling Carolina reapers making hot sauce and I don’t see much use for them. If you touch a grocery cart or gas pump or ATM or strangers penis just don’t touch your mouth until you wash your hands the gloves don’t really help.

Like masks they can help you remember not to touch your face. Though so can smearing your face with a thick layer of vaseline and nobody is that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

Okay well you're posting the same stupid things that that other poster posts, so go with god I guess but if you want to talk about thread trends then how about you actually quote some of those posts. Even just one of them. Because the one you quoted wasn't doing any of this poo poo

Go read the first 250 pages of this thread and count how many times people said that any PPE is dumb.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's way easier assuming they are, though.

Eh, that's fair.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

jfc.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The Real Miami by Udonis Haslem

Good article written by former NBA player Udonis Haslem about the idiot spring breakers in Florida and what the impacts of Covid-19 are going to have on poor communities like the one he grew up in, Liberty City, 7 or 8 miles from Miami Beach. Children that aren't going to get breakfast and lunch because they only got that at school. Children that are going to be at home all day with abusive parents. His conclusion:

quote:

F*** your spring break.

Just keep your rear end at home.

All of those kids on spring break had to get home, whether that was by plane or car. They had to stop for gas, food, a stay at a hotel in Shitass, Arkansas on their way back to Shitass, Missouri in their caravan of 16 people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

This five-year-old TED Talk from Dr. Microsoft is pretty prescient:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af6b_wyiwI

Around the 4:20 mark: "Next time, we might not be so lucky. You can have a virus where people feel well enough while they're infectious that they get on a plane or they go to a market."

I really want to know what he’d say about the risk posed by nuclear weapons today.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was able to buy toilet paper today, so feel like I have achieved a minor and totally idiotic victory.

Seeing it in stock at least made me think that we might be on the tail end of the panic buying/hoarding bullshit, at least.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was able to buy toilet paper today, so feel like I have achieved a minor and totally idiotic victory.

Seeing it in stock at least made me think that we might be on the tail end of the panic buying/hoarding bullshit, at least.

I do logistics in the paper and packaging industry and can attest that we have been balls to the wall for weeks now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was at Costco today and it was empty. They had TONS of bottled water and a sad little half empty pallet of TP. :smith:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Go read the first 250 pages of this thread and count how many times people said that any PPE is dumb.

I have been reading this thread since page 1 and have seen posts saying that people are using ppe ineffectively, and that scratching your nose while wearing an n95 eliminates most of its effectiveness, and that wearing a big water jug over your head probably doesn't work. But not that PPE is worthless

Are you SURE you're not that easily confused dumbfuck poster I mentioned

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

100%

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

QuarkJets posted:

I have been reading this thread since page 1 and have seen posts saying that people are using ppe ineffectively, and that scratching your nose while wearing an n95 eliminates most of its effectiveness, and that wearing a big water jug over your head probably doesn't work. But not that PPE is worthless

Drop it now you two

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I have spent a lot of TIME in this thread you coward. You fool. Ignorant Swine.

Come duel me.

Dawn.

Weapon? Coronavirus.

Best Lungs Win.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Burt Sexual posted:

Drop it now you two

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

These seem like the dumbest PPE for this imo. You get corona on the outside of them it’s probably gonna get on your skin while you’re taking them off or has already gotten on your face or in your urethra anyway. I have 200 nitrile gloves because I use them for handling Carolina reapers making hot sauce and I don’t see much use for them. If you touch a grocery cart or gas pump or ATM or strangers penis just don’t touch your mouth until you wash your hands the gloves don’t really help.

I currently have a cut on my middle fingnat.

Also my usage of gloves is mainly to assist in reducing cross contamination.

Example... Leave car put on gloves, use card pumo gas etc. Card goes back into my back pocket. Remove gloves properly and toss them into the trash. My card gets washed when I get home, and I don't feel like I need to Clorox my steering wheel and door handle and keys every time I go out.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

How do we know it's really Burt behind that mask?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

There’s a possibility that, due to it being spread largely by air droplets, having everyone wear masks all the time, which all the East Asian nations already do anyway whenever someone is feeling sick, is actually really really effective.

i would not be surprised if corona death rates correlates with obesity rates in a country

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Now heres a scary little metric to go off.

https://telanganatoday.com/coronavirus-casualties-may-be-higher-in-china-than-reported

The Xi Jinping government which controls all the news and information, claims that 3,270 people have died and 81,093 infected in China due to COVID-19, which originated in Wuhan city of Hubei province. However, several Chinese civilians have leaked out videos and documents disputing these numbers, with many pointing to the drop in cellphone users by 21 million in the last three months.

the reduced number of phones can be cause by less economic activity, I don't think millions died in china, maybe 150.000k .... but they controlled it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This is not a time for arguments.

This is a time for bad musical parodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLdAq-9AaVU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Cruise ship companies that register in other territories to avoid taxes & regulations (like min. wage) are excluded from bail-out funds

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-lines-battered-by-coronavirus-could-be-left-out-bailout-2020-3

quote:

Many of the world's largest cruise lines have completely halted sailings as the spreading coronavirus throws entire economies into disarray.

But unlike airlines, which are set to receive a cash infusion from Congress' $2 trillion financial bailout package, cruise companies might not see a single cent.

The version of the bill as passed by the Senate Wednesday night and likely to be voted on by the House of Representatives as soon as Friday contains specific language for air carriers. Businesses in other industries not specified are also eligible for $4.5 trillion in loans, but only those that "are created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States and that have significant operations in and a majority of its employees based in the United States. "

That's where things get tricky for cruise lines.

In an effort to skirt American regulations, cruise ships are often registered in foreign countries in a practice known as "flags of convenience." Often, these are small Caribbean countries like Panama or the Bahamas. In addition to tax loopholes, these domiciles also conveniently come with lower minimum wages and fewer regulations, according to Politico.

CNBC reported Thursday that even industry insiders were unsure about cruise lines' ability to access the relief soon to be passed by Congress and signed into law by President Donald Trump.

Meanwhile, ships sit docked and stock prices remain near all-time lows.

Shares of Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean are down 65%, 73%, and 70%, respectively, since the beginning of the year. All three companies have suspended sailings for the time being. Some smaller companies are still operating, but many ports are barring entry to cruise ships after many saw scores of passengers infected with the virus.

This is a good and logical thing so clearly the r's overlooked it

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1243355995939565570?s=19

He's like a week away from calling hospitals deep state communists that want to seize the means of production from the auto industry so they can destroy the economy.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Clocks posted:

haha what, does having this old vaccine scar make me safer or something? heck yeah if so

If it's a certain kind of TB vaccination, (not a smallpox one) it may. It also has to be a certain version of it
Like I'd pay a thousand each for myself and mother and brother to get one rn, I was a gambler lol

But you'd have to have been born elsewhere. Deets?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rutibex posted:

i would not be surprised if corona death rates correlates with obesity rates in a country

ah poo poo my fat rear end is toast

Travel agent buddies are pissing themselves fwiw

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Supreme Allah posted:

Cruise ship companies that register in other territories to avoid taxes & regulations (like min. wage) are excluded from bail-out funds

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-lines-battered-by-coronavirus-could-be-left-out-bailout-2020-3

lol owned.

I was wondering if they were going to address that. Good.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hadlock posted:

So far have had zero luck in this department

In humans. In other animals there hasn't been a pressing NEED for the past.. 10 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

gently caress em, that's what they get for gaming the system.

Maybe they should have planned better and saved more.