Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Playing Alyx on a linked Quest, when the game first loads it thinks I ought to be a few feet back and to the right of where I actually am, which is half in my bedroom wall and half in my laundry bin.

Any way to recenter the player position in that situation? It's fine once I'm playing but the main menu is a pain to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gort posted:

Playing Alyx on a linked Quest, when the game first loads it thinks I ought to be a few feet back and to the right of where I actually am, which is half in my bedroom wall and half in my laundry bin.

Any way to recenter the player position in that situation? It's fine once I'm playing but the main menu is a pain to use.

I can't ever get steamvr to do anything for that besides just doing the room setup again. I do standing only, so I don't know how to do it if you have a play area set up.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Gort posted:

I'm lucky that it randomly decided to put me in a good spot in the room, but I can't find any way of changing it. WMR user here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This gonna be Oculus exclusive, or will it be running on OpenXR (or whatever is it's name)? That known?

--edit: Whoops, didn't see Oculus Studios.

Oculus/Facebook can go eat a loving dick with their Apple approach of things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

This gonna be Oculus exclusive, or will it be running on OpenXR (or whatever is it's name)? That known?

--edit: Whoops, didn't see Oculus Studios.

Oculus/Facebook can go eat a loving dick with their Apple approach of things.

Gotta get users on their platform to get that sweet, sweet, biometric data!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Even if Oculus follow through on supporting OpenXR it won't change the exclusivity situation; Oculus store exclusives are exclusive purely for business reasons, not technical ones.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Exclusive, so nothing to see here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It's why I haven't played any Oculus exclusive games. You have got to be out of your mind to pay for a game that you can only play through a third-party system.
That is completely unacceptable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

It's why I haven't played any Oculus exclusive games. You have got to be out of your mind to pay for a game that you can only play through a third-party system.

You're not big on consoles, huh?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

KakerMix posted:

Not an empty quote. Was there ever a point in time when people thought oculus exclusives were good?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've always been on the side of Oculus exclusives not being bad for games they make, but they need to open up their store to other headsets. Not letting anyone release a game on their store that even hints at SteamVR existing is toxic AF.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

hell yeah you loving showed him

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actual real bespoke hardware is a far cry from a VR headset and you and I both know this. Facebook has no reason to lock out non-Oculus headsets from their software besides whatever reason they have decided for themselves. Valve can and does welcome all hardware to partake in their software offerings, Facebook just claims they won't break Revive, honest!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skyarb posted:

Not an empty quote. Was there ever a point in time when people thought oculus exclusives were good?

I mean...the exclusivity part sucks rear end but Lone Echo is universally praised for being one of the best VR games ever made and Stormland holds my personal best VR action game title.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

Actual real bespoke hardware is a far cry from a VR headset and you and I both know this. Facebook has no reason to lock out non-Oculus headsets from their software besides whatever reason they have decided for themselves. Valve can and does welcome all hardware to partake in their software offerings, Facebook just claims they won't break Revive, honest!

Facebook probably won't break ReVive because it suckers people into their platform. More people == more metadata.

Cojawfee posted:

I've always been on the side of Oculus exclusives not being bad for games they make, but they need to open up their store to other headsets. Not letting anyone release a game on their store that even hints at SteamVR existing is toxic AF.

They want as many people on their platform as possible, but be in full control of it. They can't do that if they let other manufacturers play in their sandbox.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 27, 2020

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Mike the TV posted:

I'm lucky that it randomly decided to put me in a good spot in the room, but I can't find any way of changing it. WMR user here.

Before starting anything, I usually place the headset on the ground where I'll be standing in my center position facing forward, place the hand jiggers in their respective spots a bit in front of it, then plug it in, then boot everything up.

Seems to do the trick.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

KakerMix posted:

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of the exclusivity, but don't act like supporting other headsets doesn't come at some cost. They're offering a very curated experience and the touch controllers are very different from the Vive wands.

For a long time the exclusives were some of the only games taking advantage of the finger tracking on Touch. If they officially supported every VR headset and controller it would limit the core game design to the lowest common denominator of controller functionality.

Now that the Index has come out and has parity with Touch it's less of an issue, but that only holds until they introduce new features in future versions of Rift/Quest. It's very early days in VR and large changes are coming, it's nice to have software built specifically to take advantage of it.

I appreciate that we have Valve giving us a more open approach, but I think what Oculus is doing also has value. Not officially supporting other headsets, but allowing them to work through third party integrations allows them to push the envelope.

I would be really interested to see Valve make a game with mechanics that absolutely require the unique aspects of the Index controllers, but we're unlikely to ever get that. Instead we get $300 controllers that allow you to crush soda cans in Alyx. And if Valve isn't going to design a game around them, you can bet no other developers are going to either.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

KakerMix posted:

Up until now I have enjoyed using the Oculus storefront because it just seemed a bit less janky than SteamVR. I don't think I can go back to the CV1 after the Index, though.

Speaking of, wasn't SteamVR 2.0 supposed to be out with Alyx?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

Up until now I have enjoyed using the Oculus storefront because it just seemed a bit less janky than SteamVR. I don't think I can go back to the CV1 after the Index, though.

Speaking of, wasn't SteamVR 2.0 supposed to be out with Alyx?

It is. That's the new small curved menu that replaces the old BigScreen overlay, and it's been out for a little while now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is. That's the new small curved menu that replaces the old BigScreen overlay, and it's been out for a little while now.

oh! I had no idea, guess it'd been a while since I was in it :downs:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The Butcher posted:

Before starting anything, I usually place the headset on the ground where I'll be standing in my center position facing forward, place the hand jiggers in their respective spots a bit in front of it, then plug it in, then boot everything up.

Seems to do the trick.

I know this doesn't help you guys, but the quest you can just hold down the oculus button on the right handstick for two seconds or so and it resets your center position to where your headset is. I'm only mentioning it because I didn't know it for the first month I had it and it was annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The new steam interface is pretty nice. The curved UI that is actually physically next to you is much better than the old way which was just a flat screen six feet away at the edge of the play space. Clicks on the desktop don't always go through, which is a bit annoying.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm in the alpha for the Echo Arena Quest port and it is loving excellent. It's still kind of buggy, but the tracking is amazing. They are even doing stuff like if they lose tracking of a hand that's grabbing a surface (like if you hold a wall to your right, then look to your left and stay still for too long), they use the acceleration from the IMU where you're predicting to throw off so you move where you expect to

It also looks great, it pretty much just looks like you're playing on a PC but low settings. It kicks so much rear end and I can't wait for everyone to play

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Facebook probably won't break ReVive because it suckers people into their platform. More people == more metadata.

They want as many people on their platform as possible, but be in full control of it. They can't do that if they let other manufacturers play in their sandbox.

If they want metadata so bad then why can't I just use their software directly without having to hope they won't break the third party tool? There is no actual good reason anyone can come up with, and Facebook won't say why either. I am uncomfortable with assuming they won't make it so I can't use the software I paid for because they probably won't break Revive. Maybe. Hopefully.
Like hey knock yourself out and buy up but you can't trust companies with anything, you can't trust Facebook twice as much.

I do wonder about the value in limiting your audience vs. whatever reason they have to try to remain exclusive to their hardware. Would Lone Echo/Stormlands have more people talking about them if they did support other headsets? Suppose they are trying to have it both ways by nudge nudge wink wink Revive.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

KakerMix posted:

If they want metadata so bad then why can't I just use their software directly without having to hope they won't break the third party tool? There is no actual good reason anyone can come up with, and Facebook won't say why either.

I replied to you with a long post outlining some good reasons, but ok, just ignore it and act like there's no possible reason that anyone could think of.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tip posted:

I replied to you with a long post outlining some good reasons, but ok, just ignore it and act like there's no possible reason that anyone could think of.

your argument was garbage homie when there's non exclusives that handle different control schemes just fine, but whatever you need to defend the book

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

I do wonder about the value in limiting your audience vs. whatever reason they have to try to remain exclusive to their hardware. Would Lone Echo/Stormlands have more people talking about them if they did support other headsets? Suppose they are trying to have it both ways by nudge nudge wink wink Revive.

The end-goal is almost certainly their own closed ecosystem, because locking down hardware and software means they can do and harvest anything they want without anyone being able to see what's getting sent back. It's also why a number of us said Side-Loading's days are numbered, because that's almost certainly a more old-school Oculus idea that got grandfathered in before Facebook completely took the reigns in the last year or so and it runs antithetical to what Facebook fundamentally wants out of VR. The games fundamentally do not matter, they are just a means to an end. So long as they sell okay and get people buying Oculus Hardware to get into the Oculus ecosystem, that is all that matters in the long-term. Facebook Horizon is the only software they're likely to actually care about, because they can leave the mic on and recording for voice chat and it just happens to send back metadata for... uh... "quality" purposes... :ninja:. That and their planned "Smart" assistant for general VR use.

ReVive probably gets tacitly ignored because it gets people in the door on Facebook's terms; it's "just" masquerading as an Oculus device through their client program.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Asema posted:

your argument was garbage homie when there's non exclusives that handle different control schemes just fine, but whatever you need to defend the book

You completely missed the point of what I was saying, good job I guess homie.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tip posted:

Outside of what Oculus said back in 2017 all we have is "reasons we can think of". I'm curious what they themselves would say for the justification on why they maintain the exclusivity today, not dream reasons we theorize about.
Facebook feeds on data so you'd think that would mean they'd be going just as hard as Valve on selling the software to as many people as possible. Yet maybe they do want to make nice, curated content for their hardware and provide the best experience but then now they are straddling weird a hardware gulf within their own system with the Quest, a stand-alone headset that *can* be tethered, but is a much different set of hardware than the OG Oculus or Rift S simply because you don't need the PC. Cross buy is a thing specifically because the hardware affords different experiences, seems a bit more of a workload than just selling the Rift S software directly to non-Facebook headsets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

Outside of what Oculus said back in 2017 all we have is "reasons we can think of". I'm curious what they themselves would say for the justification on why they maintain the exclusivity today, not dream reasons we theorize about.

The problem is it's not just "reasons we can think of"; Facebook keeps openly reinforcing what their end-goals are every time they've show off new technology for VR development, because it's all fundamentally focused towards documenting you head-to-to in VR in realtime.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

KakerMix posted:

Facebook feeds on data so you'd think that would mean they'd be going just as hard as Valve on selling the software to as many people as possible. Yet maybe they do want to make nice, curated content for their hardware and provide the best experience but then now they are straddling weird a hardware gulf within their own system with the Quest, a stand-alone headset that *can* be tethered, but is a much different set of hardware than the OG Oculus or Rift S simply because you don't need the PC. Cross buy is a thing specifically because the hardware affords different experiences, seems a bit more of a workload than just selling the Rift S software directly to non-Facebook headsets.

Rift, Rift S, and Quest all have input feature parity when connected to a PC. And even if they didn't, supporting their own product lines is a completely separate beast from supporting every piece of VR hardware out there.

I don't see how having a separate mobile store with curated content designed for the Quest goes against any of what I said.

Anyways, I already said that I'm not a big fan of exclusivity. I was just giving an answer about the advantages of doing things that way.

TIP fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 27, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KakerMix posted:

Straight up, Half-Life Alyx won't be getting my purchase unless it's on the platform I want it to be on.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Just spent an hour and a half in Alyx, finally got those alien grenades. The squeeze to arm mechanic feels so good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

Just spent an hour and a half in Alyx, finally got those alien grenades. The squeeze to arm mechanic feels so good.

I wish there was a larger inventory though, even if it was just a few more slots on each wrist. There's just a shade too many things to juggle, especially when that level has you grabbing keycards without doing much to imply they're both single-use, and feel comfortable tucking away even ONE for later use.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Blah blah, Oculus exclusives, Facebook privacy...

I don't think I've ever heard a peep out of this thread about Sony's exclusives (timed Tetris Effect, RE7 apparently forever, etc) and don't get me started on their privacy record.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oculus's stated reason for locking out other HMDs, at the beginning, was because they wanted to heavily curate the experience of first time VR users, as they were aware that VR is a difficult concept to sell (see e.g.: the massive general resistance to VR even now amongst turbonerd PC gamers) and the initial impressions people get are extremely important in determining whether they will lik VR or just think it's a poo poo new tech gimmick that has no future.

They said they were not allowed enough access to the Vive (the only other PC HMD at the time), in software terms, for them to ensure that it would run their stuff as smoothly as their own devices. I don't know much about how the various bits of firmware/wrappers interact to describe it any more than that - perhaps someone more knowledgeable can flesh this out. Essentially the situation was OVR would have a run as a wrapper over SteamVR or something like that (perhaps it's similar to how Oculus users have to access SteamVR?)
There were real performance problems with this, not least because if I remember rightly allowing Vive users to access Oculus content, in the only way that HTC would allow, would prevent Vive users from getting stuff like reprojection and the other QoL software features Oculus spent a lot of time and effort creating for their platform.

Anyway, that was Oculus's stated initial justification. I don't know whether it holds water now (or back then tbh). One continuing factor to be taken into account is that the only other major platform, SteamVR, is janky as all gently caress. But in a perfect world, all HMDs would be useable on Oculus store and instead of having to try and lock people in with exclusives etc., Oculus would just spend even more money making their platform/Oculus Home/their HMDs wildly better than all the other offerings out there, to attract people to their platform. As it is, their platform is only better because it's not totally loving janky all the time - and they have now basically abandoned development of Oculus Home for PCVR - and their latest PC HMD is a big compromise solution that they farmed out to a third party manufacturer so they could concentrate on a more popular platform (Quest/mobile).

Basically the closed wall platform is not really justified any longer, if it ever was. There are a lot of people using other PCVR HMDs. I think their reasons now are probably just that they don't want to spend the money and effort to support other HMDs, want to lock people into their platform for the obvious monetary reasons, and anyway there is a functional third-party solution (ReVive) which is likely to continue to be maintained as long as people are using PCVR in its current form. But I would assume that they could make a significant amount more money from their store by enabling access for other HMDs at this stage. The fact that they are unlikely to do so is more an indication, to me, of the lack of importance they will likely be assigning to PCVR going forward. Which if correct, sucks a lot (who the hell else is going to make big PCVR games; Valve has said nothing about the other two games they hinted at).

Ultimately my view is it's fair enough that they are limiting titles like Medal of Honour to their store, as that's the only way they can recoup any of their massive investment in it. The store is the only thing that actually makes any money for them, and overall they have invested far more than anyone else in making decent VR content. Most of the even vaguely polished/non-indy stuff that exists for VR is content they have directly funded, in part or (often) wholly. Pretty much all VR content outside of what they've funded is very indy and quite limited in scope. Their Oculus exclusive titles are not all brilliant by any means but there's little else out there that is technically polished and has any real depth in terms of content.

Long story short, use ReVive and at least play Lone Echo/EchoVR/Stormlands, I guess?

Kind of related to the above, I was somewhat surprised to see that Oculus PC HMDs are still well over 50% of the user base (assuming there are at least some Oculus users who don't use Steam): https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Gnoman posted:

It would probably be worthwhile to include Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (H3VR) on this list. Primarily a VR shooting gallery with tons of guns, it also has several modes where you fight giant sausages as an alternative to human enemies.
drat, forgot! It's gotten a bit massive. I'll add H3VR for sure.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 27, 2020

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I want to buy a good VR device and try Alyx so bad. Been waiting to see the tech develop before buying into it for years, but it still looks like a pretty hefty investment. I'm so god drat tempted now, though, but also realizing that I'd need to upgrade my PC if I want the best experience first. Until then, I'll be reading this thread vicariously.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gnoman posted:

It would probably be worthwhile to include Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (H3VR) on this list. Primarily a VR shooting gallery with tons of guns, it also has several modes where you fight giant sausages as an alternative to human enemies.

I don't think that's the case anymore...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Aeble posted:

I want to buy a good VR device and try Alyx so bad. Been waiting to see the tech develop before buying into it for years, but it still looks like a pretty hefty investment. I'm so god drat tempted now, though, but also realizing that I'd need to upgrade my PC if I want the best experience first. Until then, I'll be reading this thread vicariously.

if it helps, WMR devices tend to be much cheaper ($200 or so iirc) and if your PC can play games decently there's a good chance it can play VR too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Grillo posted:

Basically the closed wall platform is not really justified any longer, if it ever was. There are a lot of people using other PCVR HMDs. I think their reasons now are probably just that they don't want to spend the money and effort to support other HMDs, want to lock people into their platform for the obvious monetary reasons, and anyway there is a functional third-party solution (ReVive) which is likely to continue to be maintained as long as people are using PCVR in its current form. But I would assume that they could make a significant amount more money from their store by enabling access for other HMDs at this stage. The fact that they are unlikely to do so is more an indication, to me, of the lack of importance they will likely be assigning to PCVR going forward. Which if correct, sucks a lot (who the hell else is going to make big PCVR games; Valve has said nothing about the other two games they hinted at).

Ultimately my view is it's fair enough that they are limiting titles like Medal of Honour to their store, as that's the only way they can recoup any of their massive investment in it. The store is the only thing that actually makes any money for them, and overall they have invested far more than anyone else in making decent VR content. Most of the even vaguely polished/non-indy stuff that exists for VR is content they have directly funded, in part or (often) wholly. Pretty much all VR content outside of what they've funded is very indy and quite limited in scope. Their Oculus exclusive titles are not all brilliant by any means but there's little else out there that is technically polished and has any real depth in terms of content.

Lol, no; Facebook's massive return on investment is when they can just functionally sit and do nothing while algorithmically harvesting everything people say and do in Facebook Horizon (or really anything else in the Oculus client if they just merge an Oculus account into a mandatory Facebook one) and selling it as marketing data. You have to remember; Facebook's real money-maker is on-selling their userbase every way they can get away with, not any product with their name or an offshoot's on it. Companies and political lobbies would kill to know stupid poo poo like how long someone's looking at their advert billboards on-average, or just know in realtime what people are talking about (well more relevantly; Their product/candidate). And that's not even getting into the biometric stuff they can flog to insurance companies.

edit: On a better topic: The Devs of I Expect You To Die's are finally working on an Index control scheme, so we'll be able to properly fumble about attempting to stop the nefarious Dr Zor.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 27, 2020