Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

RLM watched an episode and were absolutely befuddled by character names and basic English words the characters were saying. You'd get more insightful and coherent opinions on Picard from someone suffering from a severe concussion than you would RLM.

I mean it's quite simple. Mike Stokalsa has a well documented fear and hatred of old people and Jean-Luc Picard is now quantifiably an Old. It all makes sense when you think about it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FuturePastNow posted:

There's still a Borg Cube parked on that planet and I don't think they said anything about what will happen to it.

I guess it crashed or whatever but it still has power, and I'm pretty sure a Borg ship can repair any amount of damage if it has power. I was really expecting Seven to fly the thing back into orbit to confront the Romulans. Instead, it's just there, I guess it belongs to the android tribe now.

Chabon said in his Q&A today that there was a scene at the end where the xBs and the remaining synths would have integrated into a community under the leadership of Soong but it didn’t make the final cut. Kinda seems like a huge hanging thread to not give full closure on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chabon said in his Q&A today that there was a scene at the end where the xBs and the remaining synths would have integrated into a community under the leadership of Soong but it didn’t make the final cut. Kinda seems like a huge hanging thread to not give full closure on.

That seems like a big thing to cut. Did he also mention what happened to poor Narek

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Missed opportunity: The quantum simulation device should have been a Moriarty cube.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

hahahahhaha

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would assume that the XBs and Synths would work together as a common group who are facing similar discrimination. It would be lovely for them to just say "synths are legal now" but not do anything about the XBs. It would be a lame repeat of history where white women refused to work with black people in order to fight for the civil rights of each and it took even longer for both groups to get what they wanted. Or they will totally ignore the fact that there are now three groups of people (XBs, Synths, and Holograms) where humans are used to the mindless automaton version but there are also sentient variants who want their own rights and liberties. XBs face space racism against borgs, holograms have to deal with the fact that people use their kind as gently caress puppets and video games, and synths are used as pretty much slave labor. There's all kinds of concepts that can be explored here, and I'm worried we won't get any of it. I would like some of the humans to have to be faced with the question of how they would feel if there were brain dead humans that were used for menial labor that they have to look at all the time.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I thought the finale was great, even with details like the misleading "beacon" term for the events of the season finale. It seems like there might have been room for a lot of nice things if there hadn't been so many Narek/Incest Sister cutaways at the beginning of the season

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

galenanorth posted:

I thought the finale was great, even with details like the misleading "beacon" term for the events of the season finale. It seems like there might have been room for a lot of nice things if there hadn't been so many Narek/Incest Sister cutaways at the beginning of the season

Agreed. The show could have been better by putting the important parts of the story on the screen, as opposed to the stupid stuff, but who am I to complain?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wow these xB's really need someone to mentor them and steer them through life because everyone hates them. Well time to gently caress off I guess!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That seems like a big thing to cut. Did he also mention what happened to poor Narek

Just that he was taken into Fed custody.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

They need to hire Alex Jaeger back. That man could design some baller starships.

It actually really bums me out that Star Trek has fallen into the same stupid space battle trap that Star Wars has. A dense wall of static ships doesn't look cool or seem impressive. Especially whey they're all identical and ugly. :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

One thing that stuck out to me in the last episode The scene where Rios, Rafi, and the 2 Romulan guys whos names I already forgot are sitting around a fire. Like...they were just inside the now repaired ship a scene ago and it was daylight. And I'm not really sure the timing of everything but seems like there was a bit of a time crunch. And the bad guy romulan was telling ghost stories that don't really advance anything? Kind of felt like that scene was supposed to happen a few episodes ago to maybe help set up Rafi figuring out everything that was going on...but they forgot so they just put it there instead. Anyways, pretty good show. Definitely can't complain. If I complain then maybe CBS will see it and take Star Trek away. Please don't take star trek away CBS. Please I'll behave. Please there are 5 lights. Please.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

It actually really bums me out that Star Trek has fallen into the same stupid space battle trap that Star Wars has. A dense wall of static ships doesn't look cool or seem impressive. Especially whey they're all identical and ugly. :(

I mean at least it made sense for the Romulans since their ships are already pretty homogenized, plus it's the Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash, so they probably would go for a fleet of nimble fast assault warbirds anyway

But Riker's fleet being a few dozen cruiser-looking ships of precisely two different classes was some budget poo poo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

One thing that stuck out to me in the last episode The scene where Rios, Rafi, and the 2 Romulan guys whos names I already forgot are sitting around a fire. Like...they were just inside the now repaired ship a scene ago and it was daylight. And I'm not really sure the timing of everything but seems like there was a bit of a time crunch. And the bad guy romulan was telling ghost stories that don't really advance anything? Kind of felt like that scene was supposed to happen a few episodes ago to maybe help set up Rafi figuring out everything that was going on...but they forgot so they just put it there instead. Anyways, pretty good show. Definitely can't complain. If I complain then maybe CBS will see it and take Star Trek away. Please don't take star trek away CBS. Please I'll behave. Please there are 5 lights. Please.

I feel like the writers of this show are addicted to wheel-spinning.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I feel like the writers of this show are addicted to wheel-spinning.

Ok just going to spend the first 3 episodes trying to get Picard off of Earth...then another 2 of him kinda wandering around to gather his team....then OH gently caress ONLY 5 EPISODES TO GO gently caress gently caress

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm going to give it a good rating based on the next season, which I have no idea what it even is but I'm sure it will be good.

Based on the ensemble shot we got at the very end, next season is starting off with excellent promise.

Allison Pill is a loving treasure. Warn the lighting crew if she's about to be delighted by something, the woman positively glows.

I"m going 7.5 for the season as a whole after ep 10. it makes a lot of mistakes, but the highs are very high indeed.

Narek agrees that the ubersynth story is an ancient myth. From before their ancestors arrived on Vulcan. Wait, what ? [the bonfire scene, about 16:05]
The main character's plan to derail the Big Threat goes easily awry in what must by now be considered a cliched manner.
Incest Sister definitely confirmed to have no agency or importance of her own.
I like that she got a major villain's demise. And that Seven called back to killing her. It's a pity that she'd also killed the evil gangster who harvested Icheb like, this week, it undercuts what could have been a significant character moment.
No Emergency Anything Holograms, -1/10.
The Data/Picard conversation was perfect. "A butterfly that lives forever, is really not a butterfly at all." The last piece of what Data had always wanted above all things, to join the Human family; mortality. This show got some things just plain wrong, and failed to live up to its goals in many others, but it got the one thing it absolutely had to get right, absolutely, unimpeachably, perfect.
I'm goigng to stop there for now, it's getting dusty in here.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I have to wonder what happens if you try to show current TV writers an episode like Darmok. Are they even able to observe it, a show that tells a story in 40 minutes? Or is it like just a flash of light they can't even process? Seems like an interesting sci-fi concept in itself!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I guess the implication with Narek’s story is that the proto-Vulcan species that Romulans and Vulcans are both descendants of didn’t originate on Vulcan and that was one of their legends.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really hated the feckless fakeout near the end, why even bother? I just don't get the point of pretending Picard was "gone." Nobody bought it, it ate up a bunch of pointless grieving and then afterwards they also wanted to do a "goodbye" for Data. Very awkward pacing there. They just want to a Dune clone thing I guess? There's also just something cheap about the whole deal. Making a golem that's going to die in a few years of old age, making JL have some brain dingaling to an actually kind of irrelevant sacrifice, trying to do a fakeout death when there's a season 2 named after that character...

I was happy to finally see someone die, the way it happened was pretty fun. Otherwise pretty mixed on everything else, kind of felt like someone chewed up every scifi franchise from the last 20 years and was trying to really carefully not copy anyone's idea but also all of their ideas were someone else's anyway?

Big LOL at big bad admiral turncoat turning into a goofy videogame boss in the last episode. "extermination pattern 5" like they need a bunch of special planetary extermination plans and 5 is just her favourite one, or she thought we'd know that one was the plan that means business, unlike last time when she didn't mean it as much. Then several moments of "okay, every1 fire on the thing.......nobody better stop meeee, im really gonna dooo iiiiiittt -- oh darn a distraction okay i won't do it, shoot the other thing!"

Liked when papa john showed up, that was an appropriately corny moment I could dig. Part of me wants to tease the standoff, or the mirror-image spell murderwoman cast, or the flower fighting battle but most of me is already forgetting it all besides some kind of ??? feelings.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I really hated the feckless fakeout near the end, why even bother?

They did the exact same thing in Disco too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Not like I didn't expect anything else, because it doesn't make for drama and screen time, but the usual trope of talkative foes, i.e. Seven vs Incest Sister, reaaaaaaaally grated me. Just kill that rear end in a top hat with the phaser in your hand, instead of risking defeat.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Ok just going to spend the first 3 episodes trying to get Picard off of Earth...then another 2 of him kinda wandering around to gather his team....then OH gently caress ONLY 5 EPISODES TO GO gently caress gently caress

Also we're going to spend one episode not advancing the plot at all in the last five. Don't get me wrong, I thought Riker and Troi were good to hang around and offered some of the most genuinely good stuff in the show, but combined with the first half of the show? Oof.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

She's a Romulan spy who infiltrated Starfleet and got all the way up to chief of Starfleet security, she's leader (?) of a secret society that has a fleet of warbirds, and Riker just lets her go

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Now Picard and his ragtag crew are gonna ... well go home I guess, no reason to hang out in space.

Star Trek: Picard: Season 2: The Voyage Home

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

She's a Romulan spy who infiltrated Starfleet and got all the way up to chief of Starfleet security, she's leader (?) of a secret society that has a fleet of warbirds, and Riker just lets her go

I mean he never really had her. Unless you are suggesting he just started shooting anyways. gently caress you Picard, the time for diplomacy is over!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean he never really had her. Unless you are suggesting he just started shooting anyways. gently caress you Picard, the time for diplomacy is over!

That'll be the day! *Riker jumps over tactical station and opens fire* "Weapons hot! Let's kick the tires and light some fires. We're going to put photon warheads on ridged foreheads."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Also we're going to spend one episode not advancing the plot at all in the last five. Don't get me wrong, I thought Riker and Troi were good to hang around and offered some of the most genuinely good stuff in the show, but combined with the first half of the show? Oof.

There was a quote from one of the writers (maybe Chabon but who cares) about how they really wanted to do an entire series about Picard just being old and wandering around France, but didn't think the audience would accept it. So on the one hand lol way to admit your show sucked, but also Riker making pizza was probably the best part of this entire season outside of 1 moment w/ Hugh, so congrats on not getting your audience.

Honestly they should just put Frakes in charge of season 2. Let him bring in writers and he can direct stuff and you'd end up with a season of Star Trek.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I mean you might not like Nemesis, but this is the end point of Picard and Data's relationship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoXbtCInWks

Good lord, I haven't seen this one. Driving the ship through the hallways out through the space window, holy moly lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A show about Picard visiting his friends and solving local problems and standing up for the rights of the downtrodden would have been a much better show. We already have a shooty action pew pew Star Trek on the air.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also she's been outted as being a mole now, so all the poo poo she was responsible for as the head of Starfleet Security, like the snyth ban, seems like its being worked over with a fine tooth comb and then ripped up root and stem. So she just kinda wasted 20 years of her life for nothing.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 27, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I guess the implication with Narek’s story is that the proto-Vulcan species that Romulans and Vulcans are both descendants of didn’t originate on Vulcan and that was one of their legends.

That or the Romulans created the myth to downplay the schism from Vulcan, by saying that they were a "wayfaring" race to begin with.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

There was a quote from one of the writers (maybe Chabon but who cares) about how they really wanted to do an entire series about Picard just being old and wandering around France, but didn't think the audience would accept it. So on the one hand lol way to admit your show sucked, but also Riker making pizza was probably the best part of this entire season outside of 1 moment w/ Hugh, so congrats on not getting your audience.

Honestly they should just put Frakes in charge of season 2. Let him bring in writers and he can direct stuff and you'd end up with a season of Star Trek.

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1242907914676908032

That would be nice for a standalone episode or two. But a whole season of that would be dire.

e: season 2 starring Patrick Stewart as Jean Luc Picard playing Miss Marple.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I loved the explanation for just how and why the Romulans had somehow totally reprogrammed a crapload of synths (despite having admittedly zero expertise in cybernetics due to their cultural revulsion of it) and had them destroy the very fleet that was going to save them from the supernova. All season it seemed like that made no sense at all and it felt like a huge glaring plot hole right in the middle of the entire premise of the show, but it turns out we were supposed to think that, because here in the last episode they brought together all the clues that were right in front of us the whole time and now I feel like I was blind.

Oh wait, that's the finale I was hoping for, not the one I saw. (That one was okay, I guess.)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I have no recollection of anything in that Nemesis clip, which reminds me that I haven't seen it in the 17 years since seeing it at the cinema.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Powered Descent posted:

I loved the explanation for just how and why the Romulans had somehow totally reprogrammed a crapload of synths (despite having admittedly zero expertise in cybernetics due to their cultural revulsion of it) and had them destroy the very fleet that was going to save them from the supernova. All season it seemed like that made no sense at all and it felt like a huge glaring plot hole right in the middle of the entire premise of the show, but it turns out we were supposed to think that, because here in the last episode they brought together all the clues that were right in front of us the whole time and now I feel like I was blind.

Oh wait, that's the finale I was hoping for, not the one I saw. (That one was okay, I guess.)

We had to have the cool scene where the android tells a bad joke then murders everyone. Everything just felt like perfunctory padding between Moments(tm).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, it feels like there was a point in there about how they were so serious about believing this was an existential threat to all life that they were willing to sacrifice their homeworld.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not like I didn't expect anything else, because it doesn't make for drama and screen time, but the usual trope of talkative foes, i.e. Seven vs Incest Sister, reaaaaaaaally grated me. Just kill that rear end in a top hat with the phaser in your hand, instead of risking defeat.

At least she didn't hesitate to knock her rear end down the endless shaft. No mercy. Hopefully she's a green smear on the ground and didn't survive somehow

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yea that has been in Trek since TOS.

I want Season 2 to get into Picards Archology thing, exploring some ancient races bones.

What is it with the lame ship designs in recent Trek? Like about half the Disco ships are lame, and The ships that Riker bring are pretty uninspired. Can they get ILM to design some ships again? First Contact gave us the best crop of new ships and nothing has really topped that since.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, it feels like there was a point in there about how they were so serious about believing this was an existential threat to all life that they were willing to sacrifice their homeworld.

No idea why they were in a sudden rush, they'd let Data go about his life for like 20-30 years previously.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

What is it with the lame ship designs in recent Trek? Like about half the Disco ships are lame, and The ships that Riker bring are pretty uninspired. Can they get ILM to design some ships again? First Contact gave us the best crop of new ships and nothing has really topped that since.

They fired Alex Jaeger, Andrew Probert, Rick Sternbach, Doug Drexler, and Michael and Denise Okuda, that's why everything sucks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hi there Captain, glad I could save you from a dangerous situation I don't fully understand, ok well all 200 ships I brought with me need to go now, hope you don't keel over and die the second I leave. Definitely nothing for starfleet to do here w/ a colony of androids that one retired admiral can't handle. Adios!