Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I know everyone else has probably played DCSS to death, but I'm just getting into it. Is there a thread for it? The link in the OP mentions around version 13 and it's in the 20s now, but maybe that doesn't matter as much? Or is thread okay for random Crawl questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
DCSS thread is here. Most people in the thread are talking about Gooncrawl these days because it's a goon-made fork of the game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Quick question, just in case anybody knows: what the hell do the new boots of displacement do? I wore a pair around for a while but couldn't discern any obvious effect.

If they're anything like displacement cloaks in D&D or Nethack, they make enemies potentially confused about where you are; they'll have a chance to think you're standing in one of the squares next to where you actually are. If that's the behaviour I'd expect to see enemies occasionally making ranged or melee attacks against locations adjacent to you.

Of course, this is IVAN, so who knows.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Chakan posted:

DCSS thread is here. Most people in the thread are talking about Gooncrawl these days because it's a goon-made fork of the game.

Whhaaaat:

Floodkiller posted:

Other Stuff:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, I'm glad someone didn't just link that Crawl diary and not the actually pretty normal thread!

The diary is actually a really weird take on it, mixing video game progress with real life, depression and anxiety and semen.

I found it interesting but can imagine it really turning some people off.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Y’all sure that isn’t an overwrought effort troll? It’s a bit too well crafted.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedPig posted:

Y’all sure that isn’t an overwrought effort troll? It’s a bit too well crafted.

Of course it's a troll, but as you say a very well-crafted one. Hits all the notes.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
EITR when. Pls

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Tabletops posted:

EITR when. Pls

Probably never, but I’m hopeful that it transcends its vaporware status and we get a decent game someday.

Separately, has there been any indication that it’s roguelike? I thought it was more of a crafted Dark Souls style experience with some random loot elements

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Been here a long time and I think Crawl Diary is my favorite thread ever made on this site

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

anyone know anything about the upcoming spaceship junker game from the NEO Scavenger devs? I've had it wishlisted forever and then the other day it was near the top of the "Upcoming" charts for seemingly no reason; couldn't find any new updates or a release date or anything. Maybe it just had a popular reddit post about it or something that boosted the wishlist #s? Idk. Looks really sick though!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022980/Ostranauts/

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

One step from eden seems pretty dope so far. It’s way way faster than how I remember battle network playing so I haven’t beaten a run yet.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DrManiac posted:

One step from eden seems pretty dope so far. It’s way way faster than how I remember battle network playing so I haven’t beaten a run yet.

aw gently caress they stole my idea for roguelike battle network. and they did it well, i was considering some of the same expansions upon bn's gameplay like the larger battle grid

i guess it was a pretty obvious niche to fill if you played the games a lot as a kid tho

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 27, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DrManiac posted:

Yeah it's probably no exaggeration twice as fast lol. I haven't beaten a run either but I've made it to the fourth area and unlocked some new characters and I'm digging it a LOT. Some of the later boss fights somehow manage to combine the feel of a bullet hell game with fixed movement on a tiny grid which is pretty impressive

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Something I noticed about One Step from Eden that isn't immediately obvious: you can set 2 Focuses from your deck screen, which influences what type of cards you'll get in the future.

It's immensely helpful if you've got a couple of poison cards and want to lean into it, or if you just feel like you need more health or shield in your deck, or whatever.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

goferchan posted:

Been here a long time and I think Crawl Diary is my favorite thread ever made on this site

Better than Boatmurdered?

Better than the Airpower thread(s)?

Better than the mil-hist thread(s)?

I'll have to check it out.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I unlocked a few characters and uh if you can’t beat the game with the default lady don’t even think about it.

“How about instead of having a constant but kinda lovely gun your main weapon is a half second reflect that cost mana”

[E] another small complaint I have about the game is some of the spell icons look too similar. It’s a non-issue in battle network because time is paused, but choosing the single ice bullet when you thought it was the one that fired in 3 rows can be super punishing with the game being as fast as it is.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 27, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I made it to Eden as the shield lady and then ate poo poo pretty fast. I think there needs to be some iframes when you get hit cuz you can just make one wrong move and get chunked for most of your hp and it's kind of annoying. Game is a bit too fast for that imo.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Game is insanely fast. Enjoyable, but yeah if you lapse for a millisecond you get cratered later in the run.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Wow, I am staggeringly bad at OSFE. Watch as I skillfully walk into every single tile of this attack

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is Ultima Ratio Regnum playable in any way yet? It looks like there's a downloadable version with content, and the guy is updating again... has anyone tried it recently?

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Zorbus release 30 is out:
Full changelog

There's a configurable ASCII-mode in the game if you don't want Gervais/DCSS-tiles: video

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Unlocked reva today in OSTE and I think I finally found a setup that clicked well for me. Obvious the main character is pretty good and I got heartbreakingly close to beating the first boss (or the first iteration of it, who knows, don't tell me) with her but I like doing shields and then leaning on fire and poison effects while running around like an idiot generating shield. I think if I got the defense to shields and some shirts/thorn mail I'd really be cooking with gas.

Close second is the handgun guy because there's a certain satisfaction of getting a good root and then beaning someone with a high money blast in the face.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
OFSE character rundown after a win and a bunch of runs to the end:

• Saffron is your Megaman.exe and she's perfectly fine but I don't think she's actually that easy to play. She has no real focus, which means she can do any build you want, but not having a focus or a gameplan can actually make things harder, especially when you're new and don't know what everything does already so your brain will overload and you'll start loving up.
  • Reva is probably the best character to actually learn how to survive instead of flailing blindly - her heavy focus on shield generation means making mistakes with her is very forgiving, and her reactive playstyle means that you generally need to take a breath and pay attention to what enemies are doing, which means you slowly start learning how enemies behave instead of constantly being trapped in a state of sensory overload. She's my favorite character because she makes me feel like I have a big brain when I pretty much parry a boss to death.
  • Gunner is also a great character to play if you don't want to think while playing because his playstyle basically boils down to "hold down attack while shuffling your deck a lot". He got me my first win, which felt entirely unearned because I just leaned into doing 2549054009 attack DPS while frantically dodging and barely interacted with spells at all.
  • Selicey is a weird character. She's naturally set up to exploit the frost condition(unsurprisingly) and her attack lets her do some cheeky dodging that no one else can do if you time it well. I don't really have a handle on her yet.
  • Hazel is the TF2 engineer. You drop turrets and smack them with their wrench to make them godly. She's very intuitive to play and very powerful, and having the ability to make ultra durable deployables means you can cheese past a ton of dangerous enemy patterns by simply hiding behind your turret and wrenching away. My second favorite character to play and also not too hard to pick up. Her only real weakness is that she is loving terrible against enemies who break tiles or sit on your side of the map a lot, so try to get Terra and Selicey out of the way early before they become too much of a problem.
  • Terra is entirely married to the "break tiles" gimmick. She has a great but awkward to use attack, but her starting deck is really weirdly unfocused so it feels like she needs some luck putting together some of the better "break tiles" cards to really flex. Because she's so based on tile breaking she also requires a lot of forethought to play to avoid screwing yourself over, which can be overwhelming in later stages when you're trying to dodge bullet hell while also attacking. I like her a lot but she's super loving hard.
  • Shiso is gamebreakingly, disgustingly overpowered and is stupidly easy to win with. Literally all you need to do is play the game normally for the first couple areas until you build a nest egg, then you can start snowballing because his gun's damage is based on amount of money you have and you gain more money if you kill with it. You can easily end up with your pistol shooting for four digits per shot by the final zone if you play it right and get a little lucky, which means you can just DPS race everything down with no real dodging.
  • Violette is bizarre. Her main gimmick is that her attack plays a note, which deploys green tiles(of which you can pick one) on each side of her: forward shoots a 60 damage shot forward, up gives you a stack of trinity, down gives you a stack of fragile, and left gives you some shield. As for why you would want fragile, she starts with frostbite(gets turboboosted by fragile) and her artifact gives you half your fragile stacks as spellpower. She seems really goddamn good if you get into the flow of using her buffs and not getting hit, but she's definitely complex and is the character I've messed with the least.
  • Shopkeeper: I don't loving know because holy poo poo she is a hard boss that I haven't been able to beat.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Awesome writeup; I've only got about half the characters but now I'm really looking forward to unlocking the rest. Violette sounds truly wild. And yeah, Shopkeeper is absolutely brutal.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't get the delayed 'centered on you' frost nuke that Selicey starts with. I assumed that you'd be able to use it in combination with her dash attack but whenever I try it doesn't work.

Couple other things..

Have you guys been sparing or killing bosses? I killed a boss once and the reward didn't seem particularly good (just another relic? not even rare quality?) Even if I managed to like no hit a boss it seems worth sparing them just for their bonuses down the line. I dunno.

Do the bunnies in the campsites do anything? Or are they there to give you like some extra healing if you have the leech attack or something? I've just been leaving them alone cuz they're cute..

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Having played a bit of Violette, she is pretty crazy but it's not too hard to get the hang of her. I genuinely find her easier to play than Terra; you basically have to be thinking about your moves 24/7 as Terra.

Oh, and it's important to note that she's the absolute best Trinity character bar none. Turns out, the ability to gain Trinity stacks on your weapon is really powerful; it lets her use the full trinity effect of every single trinity card in her deck.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looked up OSFE after all the buzz in this thread and bought it almost sight unseen, I loved Megaman Battle Network, and I'm getting some Cross Code/Duelyst vibes too from the aesthetic, along with all these countless doujin fighters that are clearly an inspiration. A few runs later, I think I might be too old for OSFE :v: It's so fast paced and I have to keep track of my spells, how they're targeted, space on my board, incoming attacks, how the enemies are moving, etc.

I wish this game had a little bit more documentation. I'm not sure what a lot of these ground effects are doing, what exactly I get from rescuing distress calls, etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looked up OSFE after all the buzz in this thread and bought it almost sight unseen, I loved Megaman Battle Network, and I'm getting some Cross Code/Duelyst vibes too from the aesthetic, along with all these countless doujin fighters that are clearly an inspiration. A few runs later, I think I might be too old for OSFE :v: It's so fast paced and I have to keep track of my spells, how they're targeted, space on my board, incoming attacks, how the enemies are moving, etc.

I wish this game had a little bit more documentation. I'm not sure what a lot of these ground effects are doing, what exactly I get from rescuing distress calls, etc.

Hostage rescues are pretty simple. Rescuing the ones that look like nurses gives you a heal and rescuing the others gives you money.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
There's also a few artifacts that deal with hostages, one gives you 20 money for killing them and one that gives bonus max health for rescuing them. Think there's another but can't remember.

Also zenith is really good for people in your face or for bosses that charge you or drop crap. Easily destroys guns and people like shiso who charge you or get in your face if you can predict it. Ironically it would be really good against Selicey since she is constantly charging and in your face.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 28, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Selicy's nuke does in fact work with her dash attack but the timing is weird and precise. You pretty much have to hit them both at the same time.

Also, hostages: there are three types and the easiest way to tell the difference is the item they have on the ground. It can be a medkit (health), a bag of gold (money), or a package (artifact).

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is Ultima Ratio Regnum playable in any way yet? It looks like there's a downloadable version with content, and the guy is updating again... has anyone tried it recently?

I'm seconding this question. The concept is so compelling, but I want to know if it's there yet before diving in

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OSFE: What does Flow do?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Some spells, mostly Hearth, get upgraded if you have flow when you cast them. A stack of Flow gets used up when you cast any spell, regardless of if it benefits from it or not.

I think I'm too old for this game. At any given second you have to keep track of:
  • Where four different enemies are, because most of them move constantly, often very quickly and by teleporting,
  • What kind of enemies you're against, because they don't have names or descriptions, differ wildly even between recolors of the same type, and there's no pause before a fight to look at them and get your bearings,
  • Where their attacks are and where they are headed, because every attack has a unique shape and many of them move, and all enemies will be attacking at once,
  • Where you are and where you can move, because tiles are constantly flashing slightly different colors to indicate "stand here" or "don't stand here" or "don't be standing here 0.25 seconds from now" or "stand here and THEN don't be standing here 0.25 seconds later" and oh yeah, they can break or be cracked or on fire too,
  • What spells you have right now, and what shapes they will attack in, and what combos they have,
  • How many stacks of trinity, flow, fragile, shield, poison, etc. you and the enemies have,
  • How much mana you have and how you can get it back quickly,
  • Hostages and how to protect them and not kill them yourself,
  • Treasure and how you can kill it quickly,
  • Probably half a dozen other things I'm forgetting.
If you misjudge any of these, you take hundreds of damage that you can't heal. And you have to do this all through crazy special effects that are much more flashy than informative.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 28, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Probably the biggest payoff spell is Waterfall, which drops X 80 damage shots (where X is your number of flow stacks) and grants flow on each hit. Throw in a doublecast and you'll be dealing hideous amounts of damage with Flow.

Worth noting that this spell is in Doublelift, not Hearth. You'll also probably want some root because it's got Thunder range.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Crosspost from the Switch Thread:

One Step From Eden is a lot of fun so far, and the gameplay feels very polished. It almost feels like there are too many options for spells to potentially add to the deck, though, so it's hard to get a feel for what's good and what synergies might be out there. Also, the game just crashed for me during the fourth boss of my best run so far, and restarting the game seems to indicate that my run is just completely gone, so that sucks.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You can focus on what spells you get so it'll lean toward what you want. You also don't have to take anything if you don't want to. I got pretty far on a secily run minimizing how many spells I took and abusing shuffle tricks instead. If it wasn't poison or ice involved I probably skipped it and leaned more on getting frost on and dashing for damage.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yeah, I figured out the Focus thing despite the game not really pointing it out at all. It's a smart touch given the large amount of spells in the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I never played MMBN so the systems here are unfamiliar to me. Not having any luck getting past the third boss or so.

What sort of deck size do you keep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I never played MMBN so the systems here are unfamiliar to me. Not having any luck getting past the third boss or so.

What sort of deck size do you keep?

I haven't played since the demo but usually you want to be very picky about what cards you allow in your deck in this sort of game.