Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Iola Boylen won tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Iola Boylen won tonight.
Lmao

Trying to remember the episode where Mama goes on Jeopardy -- I think she comes in last but the third prize is the trip to Hawaii that fills the next two episodes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Iola Boylen won tonight.

:lol: that's why she looked familiar

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Tonight was... Interesting.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zero One posted:

Tonight was... Interesting.

"This is a disaster" had me rolling out of my seat.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
First time I ever felt like I could've won if I were on.

What a trainwreck.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
It's certainly harder under the lights for some folks

sometimes it is MUCH harder

and sometimes you have tonight

e: if nothing else, at least we got to see 3 max DDs

Spokes fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 28, 2020

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

WarEternal posted:

"This is a disaster" had me rolling out of my seat.

The commentary definitely was entertaining to say the least. Buzzer technique from the new champ too, you could tell she was getting annoyed.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That was certainly one of the more memorable episodes of the season.

I really did want Iola to shout out to Raytown though

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The sic semper tyrannis daily double was a beautiful sequence.

$2,000
(Omigod, I really said $2,000)
$2... (not $2,000, $2,000, what do I do, should I go with it, I'll go with it)
$2,000
this phrase by John Wilkes Booth
([Big grin] omg, I'm actually gonna pull this off!)
Sic semper tyrannis

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Wow, that game was a glorious mess.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Is there a good way to stream this without having to pay for CBS All Access? I'm getting tired of my final jeopardies being interrupted by Trump.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

Is there a good way to stream this without having to pay for CBS All Access? I'm getting tired of my final jeopardies being interrupted by Trump.

We just got CBS All Access because it has a month free (for these times , whatever). Didn’t realize it streamed on this, so thanks, indirectly, for the tip !

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

they should have accepted "Zelda" for "The Legend of Zelda"

that's what everyone calls the series!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How do players challenge a ruling? Is there a button they can press so it doesn’t interrupt the game and then they come back to it or do they have to do it on breaks? Raise their hand?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zesty posted:

How do players challenge a ruling? Is there a button they can press so it doesn’t interrupt the game and then they come back to it or do they have to do it on breaks? Raise their hand?

During a commercial break, you ask a contestant coordinator to challenge it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Marshall from last night's episode drove me insane with his leaning on the podium (and shooting up suddenly when he rings in) and loving with his sleeve cuffs and fingers constantly. I'll take the normal "wailing on the buzzer and doing a weird wind-up with my flailing arm" over that bullshit any day.

I get it, nerves, but holy poo poo it was really hard for me to watch for some reason. At least stand up straight instead of splaying yourself out over your podium after every clue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Marshall from last night's episode drove me insane with his leaning on the podium (and shooting up suddenly when he rings in) and loving with his sleeve cuffs and fingers constantly. I'll take the normal "wailing on the buzzer and doing a weird wind-up with my flailing arm" over that bullshit any day.

I get it, nerves, but holy poo poo it was really hard for me to watch for some reason. At least stand up straight instead of splaying yourself out over your podium after every clue.

Honestly, just for a take on the other side, I liked it. He just got really into it, I say good for him.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly, just for a take on the other side, I liked it. He just got really into it, I say good for him.

Yeah, I agree with this. I thought it was good, but I can also see how it would be annoying.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nibir's been solid in the previous rounds, but he quietly just destroyed everybody today.

They're going to have to beat him by $21,500 tomorrow to win.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That was a slaughter. Go Big Ten!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/SI_ExtraMustard/status/1250565997695660032

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was sitting with my mouth agape for a solid five seconds when that happened. My girlfriend, who knows nothing of baseball, finally said, "What is it?"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
He ate five different colors of hot dog

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nice of the contestants last night to let us down gently from the College Tournament! What a terrible match, wall-to-wall.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I was pretty sure the one dude who kept misspeaking also said "Shiners" instead of "Shriners" but they never called him out on it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Poque posted:

I was pretty sure the one dude who kept misspeaking also said "Shiners" instead of "Shriners" but they never called him out on it.

I heard the same thing. Maybe they felt bad for him for mispeaking multiple times already.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Timby posted:

My girlfriend, who knows nothing of baseball, finally said, "What is it?"

O_O

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/james_holzhauer/status/1252655728147312640?s=21
https://twitter.com/james_holzhauer/status/1252655730210992128?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

James really needs a day job

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Alex really needs to stop referencing James anyone someone bets it all on a Daily Double or does anything remotely different from robotically giving a number.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Can't really picture Alex coming out to Voodoo Chile but Friedman tends to be a good booker

(If anyone can turn Jeopardy into MST3K, It's these three)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Alex really needs to stop referencing James anyone someone bets it all on a Daily Double or does anything remotely different from robotically giving a number.

Holy poo poo this. It is so loving frustrating.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
A question for those who know jeopardy well (as in former contestants or insiders)...

Do they coach contestants to say the full name of the category every. single. time. ? Even when it's a laborious long bad pun type name?

If so, it's no wonder the recent games never clear the board when everyone is supposed to 'say.the.very.very.long.stupid.pun.category' every single time.

Me? I'd be calling them with one word abbreviations, or just saying "same, 1600" (for example).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sunnyboy posted:

A question for those who know jeopardy well (as in former contestants or insiders)...

Do they coach contestants to say the full name of the category every. single. time. ? Even when it's a laborious long bad pun type name?

If so, it's no wonder the recent games never clear the board when everyone is supposed to 'say.the.very.very.long.stupid.pun.category' every single time.

Me? I'd be calling them with one word abbreviations, or just saying "same, 1600" (for example).

No, they tell you to go as fast as you can and so to make the category names as short as possible while still being understandable. But they do tell you to avoid things like "same category" for the sake of Alex's brain being able to understand it quickly enough. But instead of "Countries that start with an E" you could go "Countries E for $400"

It's possible that in the last year or so they've changed it because of Alex's situation and asked people to start using the full category names.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

sunnyboy posted:

Do they coach contestants to say the full name of the category every. single. time. ?

They don't, no. They absolutely encourage you to shorten it. Not to say "same category" or "finish the category" or anything that might throw alex off, but to identify it without saying the full name, for sure.

the trick is to figure out which category is obviously sponsored by some company and leave that for last because they won't end the round until it's been completed

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

the trick is to figure out which category is obviously sponsored by some company and leave that for last because they won't end the round until it's been completed

Ha that’s a very good point.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
got today's first Daily Double before the clue was shown

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

got today's first Daily Double before the clue was shown

A couple years back the Final Jeopardy category was 2-Word World Capitals and I got it the second they showed it. Blew my mind the person in second missed it since the clue itself made it insanely obvious:

From 1936 to 1941 this city was the capital of Italian East Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Spokes posted:

They don't, no. They absolutely encourage you to shorten it. Not to say "same category" or "finish the category" or anything that might throw alex off, but to identify it without saying the full name, for sure.

Thanks. Also thanks for the bit of trivia.

I really hate the categories where 'famous people' are called to speak the clue, especially if the clue is more than one 'page' long.