Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

I really want to know what he’d say about the risk posed by nuclear weapons today.
I bet you could find a video or article or something with him talking about it. Future-of-humanity/existential risk type stuff seems to be his bag these days.

AFAIK the risks for nuclear war are as high as they've ever been. Let's hope there are still enough Stanislav Petrovs around (you, yes you reading this, are here because of this man).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
How much do you think they will sell a haunted coronavirus ship for

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dear Watson posted:

That would probably make a great haunted house in 22.3 years.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dear Watson posted:

Bet that would make a drat fine bandit citadel.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Dear Watson posted:

Idk, but I hope they give a good discount to the ghost adventures crew.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dear Watson posted:

Little did we know 15 years ago, goon ship was never destined to be a retired aircraft carrier.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was able to buy toilet paper today, so feel like I have achieved a minor and totally idiotic victory.

Seeing it in stock at least made me think that we might be on the tail end of the panic buying/hoarding bullshit, at least.

i guess the question is whats the next new hottness to horde.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PhazonLink posted:

i guess the question is whats the next new hottness to horde.

Sincerely surprised no one has been hoarding cigarettes

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

This is... quite something?

I just hope there's still electricity on the other side of this poo poo to keep a permanent record of what this fuckman actually said out loud, tonight, on March 26th 2020.

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1243356330951204864

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bronze Fonz posted:

I just hope there's still electricity on the other side of this poo poo to keep a permanent record of what this fuckman actually said out loud, tonight, on March 26th 2020.

He's right, no hospital needs 30,000 ventilators. What would they even do with that many

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

With as much success as this presidency has had in instilling mass fear and panic, I'm almost reeling at hearing him say "it's the way we're engineered".

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bronze Fonz posted:

We're all going to die.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Heath posted:

i'm surprised the toilet paper hording became a thing in the US after Australia showed its own dumbasses getting smacked with no refunds or returns.

than again, Mericans have storage services which are apparently rare businesses in other countries because Mericans just love being horders of other junk.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Subvisual Haze posted:

One of the awful but not quite dead effects of this is pulmonary fibrosis, when your body's immune system fucks up so bad that it replaces extremely specialized pulmonary tissue with simple scar tissue. Imagine replacing part of your car's engine with drywall and you get an idea of how useful scar tissue is to lung functionality. We can't reverse pulmonary fibrosis. There are some incredibly overpriced drugs that might slow its progression a little bit. About the only real thing we can offer to people with pulmonary fibrosis is to put them on the lung transplant waiting list. There weren't exactly an abundance of ready to transplant lungs before this pandemic, so I'm sure it'll be a great option afterwards.
Do we have any idea how frequently this thing causes extensive pulmonary fibrosis? I'm not terribly worried about dying from the virus (though I'm not NOT worried), but this sounds like winding up disabled for life. Not super-appealing either.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We're all going to die.

Maybe it's not the most appropriate time to say this, but the USA is hosed.

I'll be happy to use state-provided rations to make sandwiches from my bunker to provide to any american refugee for free.

Provided you survive your passage through the border after THE EVENT.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Bronze Fonz posted:

Hahahaha, I'm so loving glad I got out of the USA last week. It's gonna balkanize by 2021 at this rate.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Heath posted:

The smokers market is much smaller than it used to be, but there's bound to be someone trying to turn a few cartons into bucks.

Until their craigslist ad for loosies drops across a fat, bored cops desk. Remember, you need a license to sell tobacco and of you're selling out of your garage you probably aren't IDing people or even remember that the legal age to buy/possess tobacco went up earlier this year.

Remember when all the vape people got mad at turmp? Good times, goooood times. Feels like a million years ago.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

Do we have any idea how frequently this thing causes extensive pulmonary fibrosis? I'm not terribly worried about dying from the virus (though I'm not NOT worried), but this sounds like winding up disabled for life. Not super-appealing either.

I just read an article saying about 6% of the infected get severe pneumonia and that's when you would possibly have permanent damage or death.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bronze Fonz posted:

Do you know how sometimes when you're listening to public radio or whatever some complete moron will call in and then you're grateful if they don't have any real power, and then that person is the president

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Pick posted:

Do you know how sometimes when you're listening to public radio or whatever some complete moron will call in and then you're grateful if they don't have any real power, and then that person is the president

Happens all the time, just need to change 'president' to 'senator' or 'congressman'.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

He's right, no hospital needs 30,000 ventilators. What would they even do with that many

God drat it you almost got me to reply to this! :argh:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Rime posted:

Hahahaha, I'm so loving glad I got out of the USA last week. It's gonna balkanize by 2021 at this rate.

What is this 2021 you speak of?

Not being a smartass, I'm genuinely curious. I forgot a lot of the ancient knowledge after the event. :(

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

maybe I'm imagining it but there's this edge to his voice that's making me think he's either infected or legit panicking for the first time in his life or both

e: it sounds like he's going to cry when he says texas

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Nah, it's that tone of voice he goes to when he's fantasizing out loud about how everything's gonna be fine.

One week from now is when you want to pay attention to his voice, when he can't manage to ignore the covid numbers vs. Down Jones numbers anymore.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Rime posted:

As long as Pacifica, Great Plains Federation, New England Alliance, and California Commonwealth all immediately band together to burn down Texas and enslave the remainder of the south I think Balkanization might be neat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fabulousity posted:

As long as Pacifica, Great Plains Federation, New England Alliance, and California Commonwealth all immediately band together to burn down Texas and enslave the remainder of the south I think Balkanization might be neat.

:hai:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RVWinkle posted:

I just read an article saying about 6% of the infected get severe pneumonia and that's when you would possibly have permanent damage or death.
So about 1 in 16. My only solace is that that's gotta be from *confirmed* cases and the inherent severity bias there, so the real case-pneumonia rate is lower. But still not awesome.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Can you get cornea virus from eating a miniature m&m that was dropped on the floor?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Scientist posted:

Can you get cornea virus from eating a miniature m&m that was dropped on the floor?

If the floor was contaminated, which could have been from your shoes or feet. If you haven't left the house in 3 days and no one has come in it's probably safe.

Really if it's your place you should probably know if you trust eating off your floor.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Scientist posted:

:rip:

Sorry man.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

The Scientist posted:

How long did you take to pick it up?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Australian government is just so frustrating to watch, but then I go and look at US right wingers and it is utterly terrifying.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

The Scientist posted:

Floor candy: the forbidden candy is the sweetest

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
why should hospitals be buying ventilators when that money could be better spent on more F-35s

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

ah poo poo my fat rear end is toast

Travel agent buddies are pissing themselves fwiw

Kill two birds with one stone and don’t go outside to get food; problem solved

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
So are y'all disinfecting takeout food/groceries like me or am I the furthest along on the paranoia spectrum? (I do let nonperishable groceries sit in bags in the corner for 4+ days and assume they're fine at least.)

Also, re: glove chat earlier, I got takeout tonight and had to show my phone to the cashier so he could find my order number. He touched my screen with his gloved hand that he was using to touch everything else. :ughh:

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 27, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So, if Trumpland refuses to follows quarantining what are the odds that states like Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, and other places with Trump-toadies in charge actually flounder and go under, while states that took action are able to recover? Some of this looks like idiots re-enacting the civil war in the dumbest and most suicidal way possible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My idiot friend.

We’re in a city that is under STAY AT HOME per the governor. No leaving home if it isn’t important, don’t leave the city if it’s not important. My buddy and 7 friends are renting a cabin out in a different county for the weekend because Airbnb rates are so low. One of them has specifically mentioned 2 coworkers testing positive.

Man you are really being a dick here.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So, if Trumpland refuses to follows quarantining what are the odds that states like Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, and other places with Trump-toadies in charge actually flounder and go under, while states that took action are able to recover? Some of this looks like idiots re-enacting the civil war in the dumbest and most suicidal way possible.

Idiots are going to keep traveling.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Then why do hospitals, nurses, EMTs, doctors, etc use them?

They help.

Because they’re professionals that use them properly and are exposed continuously.

They don’t help (your average moron going to the grocery store).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It'd be neat to shut down state borders with roadblocks and everything and see which states survive.