Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Coffee And Pie posted:

Thanks for the responses--I'm gonna do some more research but right now I'm between the Launchkey Mini and the Keystep.

Kinda kicking myself for getting rid of my iPad a while back, an iPhone 7 is fine but the tiny screen definitely limits me.

I have a 4th gen iPad--the first one with Retina--and they dropped current support for it. Almost all the hot-poo poo apps won't run on something that old anymore, so unless "a while" was less than a year or so, you're probably fine, to be honest. I want an upgrade, but, well *gestures wildly at world*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've got the first gen retina ipad as well and can confirm jack and poo poo run on it. Still pissed they just up and stop supporting older hardware so abruptly even though the processor is fine for 90% of what's out there.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Planned obsolescence is the cornerstone of apple's business strategy. Good thing they're gonna get nationalized.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

rickiep00h posted:

I have a 4th gen iPad--the first one with Retina--and they dropped current support for it. Almost all the hot-poo poo apps won't run on something that old anymore, so unless "a while" was less than a year or so, you're probably fine, to be honest. I want an upgrade, but, well *gestures wildly at world*

I wanna say mine was a 2nd gen iPad mini, so it was cheap to begin with. But I gave it to my mom, and she still uses it so who knows.

I haven't decided on a synth yet but I did shell out $25 for a USB-to-lightning cable, so I'm getting there

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Philthy posted:

I've got the first gen retina ipad as well and can confirm jack and poo poo run on it. Still pissed they just up and stop supporting older hardware so abruptly even though the processor is fine for 90% of what's out there.

Mr. Dick posted:

Planned obsolescence is the cornerstone of apple's business strategy. Good thing they're gonna get nationalized.

If your “first generation retina iPad” is the iPad 3 then exactly jack and poo poo can run on it because the iPad 3 was unfortunately a bad product with a badly underpowered GPU even in 2012. It had problems pushing the new display pretty much immediately. Apple quietly replaced it with the iPad 4 less than 7 months later.

I think it’s easy to beat the planned obsolescence drum with ARM devices because the desktop PC space has seen very little change in processor capability in the last few years. A lot of us have computers that are approaching or pushing 10 years with relatively little fuss. Even notebooks- if you have an SSD and a Core-series cpu from 2011- you’re probably fine to do all of the poo poo you were doing when you bought the computer.

Cell phones have a 40 year history of being presented as ‘for business assholes’ or ‘vapid chatterboxes.’ We resent needing them and being forced to replace them because it makes us feel like dickheads. But the current best iPad chips are like literally 10,000x more powerful than the ones that shipped in the first couple of years. Smartphones and tablet replacements are starting to slow down and mature for sure, but ARM devices are where PCs were in the past, where you’d buy a piece of hardware and it’d be completely outclassed in under a year.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Ended up going with the Arturia Minilab, seems like a good medium between the Launchkey and the Keystep. Plus it's pretty :swoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu4F9gRBnfA

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Really gotta hand it to Arturia for turning that thing around in all the iterations they did of it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The person who wrote the custom firmware for the Volca FM is now working on the Volca Sample. https://www.reddit.com/r/volcas/comments/fnpa5q/new_volca_sample_alternative_firmware/

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Took at crack at this today with similar modules:

http://www.modular-planet.de/instruments/oboe/oboe.htm

The thing I'm finding most interesting about this patch is that the longer you sustain a note, the faster the underlying LFO modulating the envelope modulating the phaser becomes. You get a vibrato that increases with speed the longer you hold the key. I think it's because I don't have a reset on my LFO.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

EBB posted:

Took at crack at this today with similar modules:

http://www.modular-planet.de/instruments/oboe/oboe.htm

The thing I'm finding most interesting about this patch is that the longer you sustain a note, the faster the underlying LFO modulating the envelope modulating the phaser becomes. You get a vibrato that increases with speed the longer you hold the key. I think it's because I don't have a reset on my LFO.

thats the adsr settings patched to the LFO changing it, with a sustain of 10 its effectively a 2 stage attack/release envelope, so the slow attack will last as long as the note is held or until reaching maximum level:
all a reset on the lfo would do is make sure it starts from the same point in its cycle with each note – kinda handy but seems like gravy on this here patch

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm considering panic buying a Hydrasynth.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Are there any particular pros / cons between the launchkey mk3 and the akai mpk mk2? I've noticed the latter isn't a particular favourite in this thread, everyone tends to head towards the aforementioned launchkey, keystep or minilab. Right now I'm only using magix music maker (which is actually quite fun) on pc, so no ableton or anything.
I just want to be able to fart about with all the instruments that came with MM, so i figure basically any midi controller will do, but those two seem like the most reasonable to start with. I'm also open to suggestions for around 200AUD (~120USD) that's beginner tolerant.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mephiston posted:

Are there any particular pros / cons between the launchkey mk3 and the akai mpk mk2? I've noticed the latter isn't a particular favourite in this thread, everyone tends to head towards the aforementioned launchkey, keystep or minilab. Right now I'm only using magix music maker (which is actually quite fun) on pc, so no ableton or anything.
I just want to be able to fart about with all the instruments that came with MM, so i figure basically any midi controller will do, but those two seem like the most reasonable to start with. I'm also open to suggestions for around 200AUD (~120USD) that's beginner tolerant.

I just got done doing a wild amount of research for pretty much the same exact thing and landed on the Minilab. From what I remember, they keys on the Launchkey feel kinda cheap and the analog stick on the Akai is also supposed to be trash. I was also looking at the Nektar Impact, but that's a little bigger than I wanted. From what I understand the Minilab Mk2 is supposed to be durable and easy to bring around, and has the added bonus of running off an iPhone's battery. Of course this is all hearsay, it should be coming later today so I can talk a little more about it later, but then the only other keyboard I can compare it to is my old Casio from the 90s.

Here's a dumb question though: is there any way to plug in headphones/charge my iPhone if I've got a midi controller plugged in with the Apple camera connection kit? Could a USB hub do this?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I looked at the minilab but everything i saw leaned towards it being more of an apple geared product kind of how the launchkey is geared towards ableton live. Did i get that wrong? Being an apple geared thing is fine, except I'm using a pc, so it might not be the thing I want.

I did see what you were saying about the joystick on the akai being quite rubbish. I did find a review comparing the two, and they leaned towards the launchkey, but mostly because they were an ableton live user.

Appreciate what you had to say though, it's been quite useful.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mephiston posted:

I looked at the minilab but everything i saw leaned towards it being more of an apple geared product kind of how the launchkey is geared towards ableton live. Did i get that wrong? Being an apple geared thing is fine, except I'm using a pc, so it might not be the thing I want.

I did see what you were saying about the joystick on the akai being quite rubbish. I did find a review comparing the two, and they leaned towards the launchkey, but mostly because they were an ableton live user.

Appreciate what you had to say though, it's been quite useful.

Glad I can be of help, I just learned this poo poo in the last week myself. I haven’t dug into it yet but the minilab comes with Ableton Lite and as far as I can tell works great with Windows

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Who needs to be a dead guitar genius? I have op amps. But for reals one thing I have learned about Ray's phaser recently is it works a hell of a lot better if you send an envelope to the phase input instead of an LFO.

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/gitphaser

The echo is just the phasing. When this goes through a delay it's like wooooooaaaah

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ran across this and felt a bit inspired watching and listening. Cool stuff. Never heard of these guys before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H511Iye6BsI

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Was kind of thumbing the keyboard last night and came up with a riff and I think I've heard it somewhere before.

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/gitphaser2

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just jamming around.

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/sending

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
a bit off the beaten path but...

Should I get a Tascam Model 12 or Model 16 with my Trump-money?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Playing around with "Movie Maker". I think this came with Windows.

Are there any better cheap/free video editors out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGD1zTkc4fA

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Read and tried an interesting idea today: run your audio chain through S&H, then clock the S&H to get a downsampling/bitcrushed effect on the audio. I've been running drums through it clocked to the frequency of other oscillators in the system: lead, bass, etc. You get some interesting effects.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Philthy posted:

Playing around with "Movie Maker". I think this came with Windows.

Are there any better cheap/free video editors out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGD1zTkc4fA

DaVinci Resolve.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Oldstench posted:

DaVinci Resolve.

Seconding, Davinci Resolve is legit

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Davinci Resolve has a great free version (it's only limited to 10 bit files and no raw but that's probably overkill for what you're doing).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Cool! Checking this out now! Thanks

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It’s got a bit of a learning of a learning curve but everything you can learn on YouTube

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, yeah, this is pretty great looking. Just what I was looking for!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
loving hell. My Harmonic Oscillator came in broken so I sent it back. A few days later they send another one, but the shipment gets stuck in Brussels with no explanation so Thomann decides to call it back. Supposedly it's Covid related and they will keep it locked for a week, but shipments are still allowed so with my luck someone tested positive in the logistic chain and they blocked all packages.

At least I'm having a lot of fun with the Bark Filter Processor and CV Processor. I will try to post something this weekend

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Grabbed a pile of free content clips and slapped them together with DaVinci Resolve and made a video for Hottie. It's a pretty great program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F70bhHiyxc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apple is now giving out Final Cut Pro X trials btw, starting today. 90 days for free with an email address (FCP only works on Mac).

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

turn your volume down it's a bit harsh

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/two-minutes-of-absolute-nonsense

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple is now giving out Final Cut Pro X trials btw, starting today. 90 days for free with an email address (FCP only works on Mac).

Ableton is doing the same thing -- their free trial of Live Suite is now for 90 days (up from 30).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Arturias iSpark drum machine is free for a few weeks on the app store

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

my swamp has several species of frog and toad

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/frogs-but-not-really

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Korg Minilogue XD or Wavestate?

I have a Deluge and a Roland E-70 (it's pretty cutting edge).

I want something with knobs that I can sequence from the deluge, but also gives me some keys (the E70 is gigantic).

Anything else impressive in that range or less?

Edit: I might be having a drink.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 28, 2020

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Both

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
gently caress you! That's what I wanted to do!

How bout wavestate + minilogue module?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not really a synth question but I figure it's closer to this thread than it is the Recording Megathread: Any of you use a KP3? Mine has gotten really noisy, like there's a quiet squeal coming from it - it doesn't sound like a ground loop, it modulates pitch in a way that sounds 'digital' to me, if that makes any sense. I've kept it around as an effect return in my DAW but honestly haven't used it much. Could this just be a bad power supply or cable, or is it on its way out? I'm considering pitching it either way based on what I said above.

EDIT: It was noise coming from the USB bus; unplugging the cable solved the issue. But I'm ditching it anyway, having never really used it as a return effect. Freed up an input pair. Maybe I'll use it on my DJ setup, or sell it.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
If anybody has a Hydrasynth, they just dropped another downloadable patch bank and it's really, really, nice. Most of the sounds aren't too unusual, they're just very well-crafted. I'm trying to figure out how he designed a few of those split-keyboard patches, it's not anything I've seen with this synth yet.