Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So a virus, and this administration just turns the lights off at the EPA and says "gently caress it, do whatever" because reasons. Man that's pretty cool. Laws are optional if you're a Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Old Boot posted:

^^^ well done that guy

How?

Because AreWeDrunkYet took the opportunity to frame Pro-Life and Pro-Choice as both under the same umbrella of "Anti Abortion" which is the word choice that hobbesmaster used. Which implies that Biden's support of the Hyde Amendment for decades up until people started yelling at him about it last year when he decided to go for the nomination puts him on the same level as any Pro-Choice candidate because "yeah no one actually likes abortions!!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This loving month feels like it's been going on for a month. When the gently caress is it over?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bengy81 posted:

I'm a person in an essential function job, and 80 % of my customers are hospitals or big pharma. My wife is showing "minor" symptoms, like the kind that could be any number of viruses including COVID-19. She hasn't really left the house in the last two weeks, however, due to my job I've been in and out of a dozen different facilities in three states, so IF she has it, she probably got it from me. It would be nice to know if either of us have it, and that I'm just asymptomatic, or any combination of things.

Mostly I'm freaking out at the possibility that I've potentially exposed a bunch of vulnerable people to this stupid loving virus, but I can't be sure one way or the other.

I've been told the us is the greatest in the world at testing, tho?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I feel like loving vomiting from anxiety the hour between laying down and falling asleep.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Patware posted:

it's lovely that bernie endorsed anyone anti-choice no matter the reasons but these scales don't loving balance against the problem/benefit profile of biden

EDIT: bernie's also way more likely to actually argue the point if you were to bring it up to him while biden would just grab you by the loving lapels like "don't talk nonsense, jack" and stick his finger in your nose

And you'll thank god it's just your nose

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/redpomgranat/status/1243329443784867840

You think it's bad and every day something worse pops up

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Godholio posted:

No, but you see Biden is also bad, so we loop back to Trump.

This thread is a great insight into the way the left can't stop loving itself in the goddamned ear long enough to accomplish anything lasting.

Imagine if most presidential cycles, the republican presidential candidate had a long legislative history of supporting gun control, immigration, and environmental regulation, and said they would be proud to work with democrats on expanding welfare. Activist conservatives would raise objections, but the party line was "vote red, Fred," and when they lost, as they usually did, the party decided it was from not being left wing enough.

This is hard to imagine, right? It's hard to imagine because the republican party actively seeks the support of their voters by championing their issues.

The Democratic party base is not more activist than the republican party base. It's actually the opposite of that - the democratic party can and does assume that their voters will support basically anyone they put in front of them. Bloomberg ran D for a reason. He didn't win, but he did a lot better than he would in a R primary, despite being much closer to the republican party on policy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Eej posted:

Nothing will come of this

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This loving month feels like it's been going on for a month. When the gently caress is it over?

Pil's log, 65th of March 2020: it doesn't stop. I feel that even if I make it out of this month with my life, I may not leave with my soul.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eej posted:

Queue the "he's not breaking any laws!!" crowd...

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

So Boris Johnson has the roni, apparently.

E:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1243496497729191936

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

F

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So where's that herd immunity now, Boris you human static cling conductor.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
If Boris dies does Corbyn get to be PM? How does that work in the Jolly 'Ole.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So where's that herd immunity now, Boris you human static cling conductor.

Herd immunity is only for the sheep.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LongDarkNight posted:

If Boris dies does Corbyn get to be PM? How does that work in the Jolly 'Ole.

no, think of the prime minister as like the senate majority leader; the same party will have the majority so it chooses a replacement

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Eej posted:

gently caress it, use imminent domain and take it over.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i hope he drops a snowglobe and gasps 'bre....xit'

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

To be fair, I'm not sure NAVFAC could fix it properly anyway.

No, but you see Biden is also bad, so we loop back to Trump.

This thread is a great insight into the way the left can't stop loving itself in the goddamned ear long enough to accomplish anything lasting.

Biden isn’t the left. He’s center right. That’s the problem.

If we actually ran someone with progressive policies you wouldn’t hear progressives bitching about the struggle. However, actual progressive policy challenged entrenched capital, and that must be protected at all costs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Nice! posted:

If we actually ran someone with progressive policies you wouldn’t hear progressives bitching about the struggle. However, actual progressive policy challenged entrenched capital, and that must be protected at all costs.

Why won't the left support my center-right politician who has opposed their policies at every opportunity throughout his career :qq:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

City should seize it and just use it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Eej posted:

Because AreWeDrunkYet took the opportunity to frame Pro-Life and Pro-Choice as both under the same umbrella of "Anti Abortion" which is the word choice that hobbesmaster used. Which implies that Biden's support of the Hyde Amendment for decades up until people started yelling at him about it last year when he decided to go for the nomination puts him on the same level as any Pro-Choice candidate because "yeah no one actually likes abortions!!"

Trump is vocally and actively implementing pro-life policy, even though he is probably not in the least bit anti-abortion. Biden is by far the better of the viable presidential candidates for womens' reproductive health options regardless of opinions or past policy positions.

Biden's history on the topic should be a strong push towards Bernie, but now people are using it justify a de facto vote for Trump. That's just backwards.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 27, 2020

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Trump is vocally and actively implementing pro-life policy, even though he is probably not in the least bit anti-abortion. Biden is by far the better of the viable presidential candidates for womens' reproductive health options regardless of opinions or past policy positions.

Biden's history on the topic should be a strong push towards Bernie, but not people are using it justify a de facto vote for Trump.

Over-under on number of abortions Donnie has paid for in his lifetime? I'd go with 5.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Over-under on number of abortions Donnie has paid for in his lifetime? I'd go with 5.

Paid for? Under. Because he's a cheap gently caress that doesn't pay his bills.

Led to? Over.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:laffo:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1243502237369933825

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Bored As gently caress posted:

City should seize it and just use it.

Eminent domain still requires the government to pay for something, the hospital is in poo poo condition so if they seized it, Philly would have to pay for the hospital and repairs, and then be stuck with a hospital they dont want to run and manage when the crises is over. Oversimplification without considering the consequences.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Listening to BBC, UK Health Secretary also just tested positive for rona.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/kennwhite/status/1243152451139784711?s=20

I get the feeling that Trump and Cuomo are going to have egg on their faces when HCQ doesn’t turn out to be a miracle cure and may do more harm. How did Cuomo agree to let NY be the guinea pig for this?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Biden's history on the topic should be a strong push towards Bernie, but now people are using it justify a de facto vote for Trump. That's just backwards.

The thing I think they objected to was the language involved, re: everyone is effectively anti-abortion because no one wants to get the procedure, which can, depending on phrasing, be at odds with activist talking points that aren't that widespread outside of-- well, activism. And Twitter.

Basically piggybacks off the tired Dem trope of Rare And Legal, ie: 'abortions are always hugely traumatic and literally no one wants one ever it's so sad!!!' In reality, abortion is how the woman feels about it, which could range from yes traumatic to basically just neutral. 'Always traumatic' is a horseshit lie peddled by centrists that want to appeal to-- other right-leaning centrists, those rare few that still exist.

I read the post as 'no one goes out on Saturday for an abortion because they happen to be pregnant and just kinda feel like it, people by nature would prefer not to have one because outpatient surgery sucks,' but on the off chance you were pulling a Rare and Legal didn't want to really stick up for that defense lol. Glad you decided to clarify.

Anyway yeah long story short: Biden sucks, still sucks less than Trump, on this specific issue.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lightpole posted:

Eminent domain still requires the government to pay for something, the hospital is in poo poo condition so if they seized it, Philly would have to pay for the hospital and repairs, and then be stuck with a hospital they dont want to run and manage when the crises is over. Oversimplification without considering the consequences.

Pay them 1$, give the dude the finger, fix it up, use it until they don't need it and sell it to some other douche for a song.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Abortions should be rare inasmuch as it is a public health goal to encourage less invasive forms of birth control.

There is absolutely nothing morally wrong with abortions. If it’s your body, you can do what you want with it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Defenestrategy posted:

Pay them 1$, give the dude the finger, fix it up, use it until they don't need it and sell it to some other douche for a song.

For generally valid reasons outside of this specific situation, eminent domain claims take a very long time to process. There are multiple legal reviews and check points. It's just not feasible to seize it and get anything productive done about people dying to coronavirus with the property if the owner intends to fight it. Time and resources that it would take to do that would be much better at reducing body count if they are redirected to setting up other properties as triage and non-critical care facilities.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

For generally valid reasons outside of this specific situation, eminent domain claims take a very long time to process. There are multiple legal reviews and check points. It's just not feasible to seize it and get anything productive done about people dying to coronavirus with the property if the owner intends to fight it. Time and resources that it would take to do that would be much better at reducing body count if they are redirected to setting up other properties as triage and non-critical care facilities.

Ah that makes more sense.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/kennwhite/status/1243152451139784711?s=20

I get the feeling that Trump and Cuomo are going to have egg on their faces when HCQ doesn’t turn out to be a miracle cure and may do more harm. How did Cuomo agree to let NY be the guinea pig for this?

"gently caress it whatever, I'll take the 600 ventilators and whatever else you'll give me"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

Abortions should be rare inasmuch as it is a public health goal to encourage less invasive forms of birth control.

There is absolutely nothing morally wrong with abortions. If it’s your body, you can do what you want with it.

The majority of abortions are not invasive and require taking two pills.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do I need to find all the tweets and posts from internet leftists calling Warren a center right neoliberal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Nice! posted:

The majority of abortions are not invasive and require taking two pills.

Wouldn't call it a majority, but it's getting there. It'd be more if it wasn't an eight week window, though, yes.