Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

goferchan posted:

Hm, I would compare the gameplay almost to a (admittedly kind of excessive) board game than I would an old-school JRPG. Combat is in the game, but most of what you're doing is managing your resources in order to respond as effectively as possible to random events, and (until you've learned everything and it becomes purely about the mechanical aspect) working your way through some pretty cool puzzles. I really like the game and I'm glad I got it, but one of the features that shows the most unique promise to me is events in one case affecting future ones -- like right now, currently in the game there's a thing where during one case you can take an option that burns down the local highschool, and if you accept a later case that takes place in the school it will play out totally differently as, well, you burned it to the ground. There's not too much of that right now but apparently a lot more interactions like that are on the table as the game progresses through early access, and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, so maybe wait a while to check it out if you're not completely sold on just the art and atmosphere? Another thing I really like is that the game was also built from the ground up with moddability in mind and the last patch included steam workshop support. It's meant to be very very easy for players to add in new enemies, new events, or even build new stories and cases from the ground up in a very modular way, basically like shuffling in an "expansion deck" of cards in a physical game. I really look forward to seeing what people do there!

That sounds rad as hell, thanks for the review!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is good analysis but it's also making me itch to go get Far Cry 5 because I am the exact target audience for collectible farming. I don't even care what I'm collecting just give me a big pretty map to go collect things on.
AC: Odyssey is much better at this. The world is super colorful, quick to travel around in and any sites you stumble upon can lead to other quests or quest items for later so you don't have to backtrack (other than the super rare locked chest that requires a specific key).

Also playing FC5 at the moment and while it's not terrible, it's not great. Mobility is a lot better than FC4 at least since you can hot drop from the sky from any explored POI's and glide/parachute "quickishly" to wherever you're trying to end up (on the top of a mountain for instance). The entire map is all woodlands though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

One Step From Eden is pretty shameless about being a Battle Network clone, I'm impressed.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is good analysis but it's also making me itch to go get Far Cry 5 because I am the exact target audience for collectible farming. I don't even care what I'm collecting just give me a big pretty map to go collect things on.

Open World Game :v:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Funky Valentine posted:

One Step From Eden is pretty shameless about being a Battle Network clone, I'm impressed.

Since Capcom seems to not care about MMBN, I'm not complaining .The soundtrack couble be swapped in a MMBN and you absolutely wouldn't notice

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kennel posted:

Yeah, and IIRC they were pretty much like all the other games she's worked with: handles the basic story and dialogues well enough, but offers no great or clever moments. I can't honestly remember a single good joke in either of those games.

(They're still better than your average "comedy" video games)

It's been ages since I played those games but I thought 1 was really good (though really grindy if you wanted the 100% evil ending). The only actual joke I remember is the jester calling you the Overlard if you stole all the food from the hobbits

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I watched a QL for One Step From Eden and it looks like hard as balls. I think you could straight up rip off MMBN's combat + Slay the Spire deck building and make an amazing deckbuilder, I'unno if that game isn't overtuned. Anyone tried it out?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh cool mount and blade 2 is releasing in a few days and they don't even plan co-op
Oh did I say releasing after what 8+ years?
I ment entering EA

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kennel posted:

Yeah, and IIRC they were pretty much like all the other games she's worked with: handles the basic story and dialogues well enough, but offers no great or clever moments. I can't honestly remember a single good joke in either of those games.

(They're still better than your average "comedy" video games)

yeah, she's not bad, just very very bland. if she wasn't terry's daughter i doubt anyone would notice, which isn't particularly fair on her i guess.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh cool mount and blade 2 is releasing in a few days and they don't even plan co-op
Oh did I say releasing after what 8+ years?
I ment entering EA

You'll just have to wait for them to release Mount and Blade 2 Warband in another five years or so.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I played a bit of One Step from Eden earlier today, and it was fun but I felt like I was just mashing spells while I focused mostly on dodging attacks. That got me to like the third area, so it doesn't seem super punishing, but it is just a lot going on all the time.

Seems like the sort of thing where you'll eventually get a feel for stuff like enemy activity and which symbols correspond to which spells, and then it'll feel easier to handle. But it's just so fast paced with so many thing happening right off the bat, it gets overwhelming quickly.

Also, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 came out today, and so far it looks and feels like a very solid musou game. Doesn't cover as much of the One Piece story as the last one, but that's hardly the main goal. That series is ridiculously long, nearing 1000 chapters of the manga, so it makes sense that they're focusing more on the recent stuff.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dias posted:

I watched a QL for One Step From Eden and it looks like hard as balls. I think you could straight up rip off MMBN's combat + Slay the Spire deck building and make an amazing deckbuilder, I'unno if that game isn't overtuned. Anyone tried it out?

i watched someone playing it on like ascension level 3 for awhile today and it is extremely fast and looked really really hard yeah. dont buy it if you arent interested in gitting gud

edit: i bought it. on my first run i got to the 2nd boss. its not too crazy in the first area.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 27, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Begemot posted:

Also, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 came out today, and so far it looks and feels like a very solid musou game. Doesn't cover as much of the One Piece story as the last one, but that's hardly the main goal. That series is ridiculously long, nearing 1000 chapters of the manga, so it makes sense that they're focusing more on the recent stuff.

Literally steal the code from AC: Odyssey and turn it into a One Piece game, BANDAI NAMCO you cowards.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I’m interested in Abandon Ship and I think the Fanatical bundle is the cheapest has ever been. What are some good games in that bundle? I’m not into racing and have Life is Strange already, so I’m looking at Lords of the Fallen, Omerta, and the new Outcast. Any suggestions?

Edit: Styx, maybe?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 27, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Ubisoft's biggest problem is that every game they make is basically the same game, with some release-specific features and gimmicks tacked on top. It's not even that The Ubisoft Game is in and of itself a bad game, but after the first four or five of them, it kind of starts to get old. To seasoned players, Ubisoft games tend to look worse than they really are because the only thing people really take note of anymore are the things that make each game unique, and that often isn't all that much.

I will grant that if Ubisoft games do not rumble your jazz they are probably never going to change that, but they did postpone four separate games because of how badly Breakpoint did and continued to support Breakpoint despite it selling absolutely abysmally. I'm not gonna say that Ubisoft is a saint or anything, they're still a company, they still say and do stupid poo poo semi-regularly, but they're the only AAA out there supporting games that have essentially failed until they aren't anymore - Siege, For Honor - and by and large they do better on average than any of the others at delivering a good product.

Whether the postponement of WD:L and the others actually makes a huge difference or whether that'll need to come with their next generation of games, we'll see.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m interested in Abandon Ship and I think the Fanatical bundle is the cheapest has ever been. What are some good games in that bundle? I’m not into racing and have Life is Strange already, so I’m looking at Lords of the Fallen, Omerta, and the new Outcast. Any suggestions?

Styx is great if you like oldschool stealth, but mind that this is actually the second Styx game.
X-Morph defense is one of the best tower defense games on Steam, in my opinion.
Lords of the Fallen is not worth playing in this day and age and I'm saying that as someone who actually likes that game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

DrNutt posted:

I actually thought it was kind of interesting to see them develop that I'm Shadow. It totally worked for me and thought the writing and development of Jonah's evolving character was probably the high point of the game's writing. Too bad about the rest of the cliched hacky plot.

Psychopathic protagonists not being called out on their bullshit really grinds my gears. I guess that's video game writing for you but man. I also kind of disliked Barry for that, too. The underlying plot is really dark and there's several manipulative shitheads in the show, too, but just before there could be some interesting dialogue about it, the show made it into a joke every time. Got real tired of that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

You’d probably dig FC5, most of the complaints were story related. I love that game, the map is really well done, the gunplay finally solves the FC bullet sponge problem, and hunting/fishing is super relaxing. Plus, you can hunt bears by taking a ton of drugs and punching them to death.

Find the quest in the White Tail’s bunker for the record collection, it expands what plays on the radio in vehicles. Nothing like plowing through a cultist roadblock in an 18 Wheeler with 50 caps while Electric Worry by Clutch plays in the background.

New Dawn is a pretty cool direct sequel that I also recommend, it really amps the RPG elements up.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Skip 5 and just play New Dawn so you don't have to listen to the HIT EM WITH THE BLISS BULLETS crap

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't New Dawn built for co-op or am I mistaking it with the last Wolfestein?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

anilEhilated posted:

Wasn't New Dawn built for co-op or am I mistaking it with the last Wolfestein?

That's Wolfenstein Youngblood.

New Dawn takes (most of?) the map from 5 and sets the premise a generation later. It's maybe about 70% the length of a regular FC release. It was a lot of fun!

Disclaimer: I'm not yet worn out on the Far Cry formula.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

New Dawn is probably the best modern FC for being pretty short, having a fun gameplay gimmick and not being too aggressively terrible in its storytelling.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So it's basically the Blood Dragon to FC5? I can dig that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

New Dawn is probably the best modern FC for being pretty short, having a fun gameplay gimmick and not being too aggressively terrible in its storytelling.

It also has a fun splinter cell reference or two

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
New Dawn had the worst guns. :mad:

Fun game otherwise but as someone who's mostly into shooters for the shootings, the hodgepodge gun design of ND really threw me off.

Morter fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 27, 2020

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Built for coop as deep as there is a second player and nothing deep

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Begemot posted:

I played a bit of One Step from Eden earlier today, and it was fun but I felt like I was just mashing spells while I focused mostly on dodging attacks. That got me to like the third area, so it doesn't seem super punishing, but it is just a lot going on all the time.

Seems like the sort of thing where you'll eventually get a feel for stuff like enemy activity and which symbols correspond to which spells, and then it'll feel easier to handle. But it's just so fast paced with so many thing happening right off the bat, it gets overwhelming quickly.

Yeah now that I've spent a few hours with it I've gotten much more used to the pace. You're definitely right that once you learn what certain enemies do and how attack patterns work it becomes possible to start pulling off really cool poo poo, but the game definitely does not pull its punches.

And man, yeah the game is basically 100% combat, but there's a LOT of combat content there. I've unlocked 2 extra characters (out of like 12 total) and they play completely differently than the starter character (like the shield lady who doesn't have a basic attack but instead has a guard/parry button), AND they all have unlockable alternate loadouts to switch things up even more. There are a ton of bosses who have completely different attack patterns depending on how late in the game you encounter them, tons of new unlockable spells, Slay The Spire style "ascension" modes..... it's a seriously impressive package. It's always hard to tell at first but I have a feeling this is a game I'll be playing on and off for a really long time.

(also, if you want to save a few bucks it's $16 down from $20 if you buy it through Humble)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

I try to go into Ubisoft games with zero expectations. Well, more than zero - I know they're going to have collectibles, maps to explore, and generally pretty scenery. But then I expect everything else to be shoddy, so it's a real nice surprise when things turn out good. (AssCreed Origins, Wildlands, Watch Dogs 2) And in the current age, do NOT preorder them, they're going to be games as service with lots of missing content that will be created and put in as the game gets made.

And like, that's fine, that's good for my backlog - but I do wish they'd get their poo poo together. You'd think something like "sequel to wildlands should be tactical with no gear levels" would be obvious, but... no. They had to cross the streams with Division 2, because. (ps when's a new splinter cell dropping)

Anyways, you should try out Breakpoint now because it rules and I'm gonna play more of it tonight. Just be sure to turn on immersion mode.

This doesn't work for me. Ubi does 2 things good and 4 things offendingly terrible in almost all their games (with very few exceptions). One of the 2 things is always graphics which I'm a sucker for but also like that Ubisoft is pushing on that front. One of the 4 things is always writing, offendingly 1-dimensional characters, dialogues and world design (from a story perspective). Another 1 of the 4 things is also at least one repetitive mechanic that is unnecessary annoying.
I appreciate Ubisoft for a lot of things in terms of progressing certain standards for games (they're really good too when it comes to some convenience stuff that is by now considered standard in many games) but I really dislike them for their idea of dull bullshit writing/stories/"mass market aptitude" that just drags down the entire product. A game does not need the most dumbest story imaginable to sell a lot. I think that much has been proven by the likes of The Witcher 3 and others by now.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

goferchan posted:

(also, if you want to save a few bucks it's $16 down from $20 if you buy it through Humble)

That's only if you're subscribed to Humble Choice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morter posted:

New Dawn had the worst guns. :mad:

Fun game otherwise but as someone who's mostly into shooters for the shootings, the hodgepodge gun design of ND really threw me off.

I disagree, I like the actual “buy a gun with a preset attachment load out” thing. A big problem with the Far Cry games since 3 has been that there’s no reason to not stick a silencer+red dot/ACOG on literally everything. By predefining attachment loadouts, you end up trying all sorts of different setups you normally wouldn’t and it makes the guns feel really different.

Also it has a saw launcher that shoots blades that bounce between enemies, that rules.

It also has crysis-style superpowers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Omi no Kami posted:

Does World of Horror do anything mechanically innovative or neat, or is the appeal mainly about it being a solid execution of old-school turn-based JRPG stuff combined with junji ito/lovecraft vibes?
The latter. It's neat and atmospheric, but as a game, it doesn't really do anything special. If you want a horror-flavoured coffee break game, World of Horror is the way to go. If you want something more substantial, I recommend giving it a pass.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just finished it (it was €4.99 with the Epic xmas voucher) and FC5 is a serviceable shooter if you skip all the cutscenes.
I wish there was a mod that removed the awful, awful forced abductions. Must have been 9 or 10 of them, every time you make a tiny bit of world progress you get magically found, sedated, made to endure a terrible cutscene and are dropped back out in the woods.
But yeah for collectors it's fine, there is a lot of money and skillpoint books in prepper stashes that are like mini-puzzles. And of course a hundred regular, pointless collectibles.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

sauer kraut posted:

Just finished it (it was €4.99 with the Epic xmas voucher) and FC5 is a serviceable shooter if you skip all the cutscenes.
I wish there was a mod that removed the awful, awful forced abductions. Must have been 9 or 10 of them, every time you make a tiny bit of world progress you get magically found, sedated, made to endure a terrible cutscene and are dropped back out in the woods.
But yeah for collectors it's fine, there is a lot of money and skillpoint books in prepper stashes that are like mini-puzzles. And of course a hundred regular, pointless collectibles.

:neckbeard:

Yeah okay I need that, and New Dawn.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The new DLSS 2.0 updates to Control are really nice. It now allows scaling up to 75% of your native resolution so I am now able to upres from 960p on my 1440p monitor without having to enter values manually in the .ini file. Overall the picture is super clean without the larger performance hit that came with upscaling from 1080p, and I can rock full RTX effects with max settings. Control already looked phenomenal at times with ray-tracing and DLSS is putting in a lot of work to convincingly fake a 1440p image.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

The new DLSS 2.0 updates to Control are really nice. It now allows scaling up to 75% of your native resolution so I am now able to upres from 960p on my 1440p monitor without having to enter values manually in the .ini file. Overall the picture is super clean without the larger performance hit that came with upscaling from 1080p, and I can rock full RTX effects with max settings. Control already looked phenomenal at times with ray-tracing and DLSS is putting in a lot of work to convincingly fake a 1440p image.

Is the UI scaled too or native?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

sauer kraut posted:

I loved being tranq dart’d and abducted as I was flying in a helicopter hundreds of feet in the air. Other than the story FC5 is great

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sauer kraut posted:

FC5 is a serviceable shooter if you skip all the cutscenes.
FC5 would be a serviceable shooter if it had a different plot, or just no plot, or basically just about anything except for what it actually has.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

The Pillars of the Earth is a fantastic point-and-click interactive interpretation of a fantastic book, of that’s up your alley!

Omertà is old and clunky and regularly very cheap (in fact, the gold edition is $3.40 on GMG right now).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 27, 2020

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
If anyone has an F1 2019 key they really don't want I'd most appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MZ posted:

If anyone has an F1 2019 key they really don't want I'd most appreciate it.
Hit me up by PM or on Steam (same name as here).