Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the ultimate irony of epic games offering free games means i'll probably never play celeste because i used a browser to add it to my "epic games account" when it was free over the holidays, but i'll never get around to playing it on the epic games launcher because i'd have to install it first, and now i'll never get around to playing it on steam because i already own it on epic games launcher

edit: wait how did i get here i thought this was the steam thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
World War Z, Figment, and Tormentor X Punisher are all free on Epic

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

ARMS is free to play on eShop until April 6th (requires Nintendo Online to play with other people)

Contra clone Project Mercury is also free to own until the 8th https://store.steampowered.com/app/702150/Project_Mercury/ Never heard of it before though

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

flatluigi posted:

the argument is that epic games store is a front for chinese data collection and they only are giving away free games to suck up all your data

Yeah but like, what data?

E: which data? I'm not up on my grammar of semi-collective nouns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ItBreathes posted:

Yeah but like, what data?

E: which data? I'm not up on my grammar of semi-collective nouns.

Data is plural, the singular (which no one ever uses) is datum, so you were right the first time.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

Data is plural, the singular (which no one ever uses) is datum, so you were right the first time.
"what" and "which" have nothing to do with singular or plural. "which" is when the speaker is presenting, possibly implied, options. "What" is open ended.
Which horses ate your apples? What are you going to eat?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

datum?! drat near killed 'em

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

flatluigi posted:

the argument is that epic games store is a front for chinese data collection and they only are giving away free games to suck up all your data

that isn't the argument at all and the quoted post should've made that very clear. the CCP is one particular outlet that is scariest but the quoted post explains why this is a big threat to your privacy and CFPB site i linked will happily go on about what threats to your privacy end up entailing, as will the GDPR registration. i tend not to spell all of this out precisely because people like you are more touchy on this subject than bronies are about someone not liking their favorite pony.

on a related note, i'd like to point out that this derail has happened because a bunch of people get insanely loving aggro for no reason, even the last time this happened someone literally asked me 3 times to write a lot of words on it and now it's being paraded around like i had some nervous breakdown about how EGS is the devil. play the games if you want to, people, in that same question mark there's numerous posts over the course of many months where i say i'm not judging you for it and it's fine if you make this decision for yourself, just that i personally am not comfortable with it. please go search my question mark for those statements as well. you should just be aware of what the deal is.

literally a dozen weekly EGS deals have come and gone with me not saying poo poo about anything. you psychos drag it out every single time.

e: to be clear, the actual point is that epic has a very aggressive privacy policy that allows them to build very detailed dossiers on their users, and they have, in the past, been caught red handed accessing data on your computer that they have no business touching. the steam client registry blob was the cited example, which Steam reps were not happy to hear about to say the least and Epic had a very, very poor excuse for doing. the trick is, while that data is shadily collected, it is done under the auspice of a presumed-valid privacy policy, and as such the data collected is not a shady data set. it can therefore be sold or used in a bunch of different ways that shady datasets collected from spyware can't be.

epic is not in the business of providing a good platform and marketplace for developers and publishers. they are in the data business. that means that you are the product, and you are the product in a much more intimate way than many other services. if you are comfortable with that, then by all means go ahead. there's lots of good, rational, and sane reasons why you would come to that conclusion. it's unironically 500% fine to feel comfortable with this trade. if that bothers you, you might want to reconsider.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 27, 2020

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Also free on steam 100% Orange Juice I make no claims other than it being free.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Coolguye posted:

you psychos drag it out every single time.

nobody is demanding your opinion on the scary chinese and we'd all be better off if you stopped giving it

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh god what if China learns that I enjoy turn based rpgs, 4x, and management games!!!!!!!!

I’m very important and my video game data is very valuable!!!!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If theyre gathering data for nefarious ends it seems much easier to just buy it, and if they're gathering data to sell you things you should probably never visit any website ever, since they, a half dozen other companies on each page, and your isp are too.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Plus, this might be anecdotal half-remembrances, but haven't the companies who are allegedly buying this information say they don't know what the hell to do with it? (Or at the very least, say it hasn't been anymore effective at targeting consumers?)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Monument Valley 2 is free for Android.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unhappy Meal posted:

Also free on steam 100% Orange Juice I make no claims other than it being free.

It's actually a fun as hell board game, well worth grabbing. There's a few other games by the same dev that are free right now, I haven't played those ones but a friend of mine really likes them.

Also I wish it wasn't so predictable that when I see a bunch of new replies in this thread that it's another argument about the Epic Store dragged out by Coolguye.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
New Thread Rule:

If a game is free on EGS you can post it absolutely, you can discuss the game, you can enjoy or dislike the game.

You can no longer talk about the pros and cons of EGS. Either make a thread about EGS and discuss it there or try to find the one that used to exist and post there.

No more derails about EGS in this thread.
Thank you kindly all!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Artelier posted:

Monument Valley 2 is free for Android.

Heck ya. Loved the first.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

VideoGames posted:

New Thread Rule:

If a game is free on EGS you can post it absolutely, you can discuss the game, you can enjoy or dislike the game.

You can no longer talk about the pros and cons of EGS. Either make a thread about EGS and discuss it there or try to find the one that used to exist and post there.

Thank you kindly all!

For everyone's information, the thread already exists even!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886798

Both informative posts and making fun posts have coexisted happily in that thread thus far.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

~Coxy posted:

For everyone's information, the thread already exists even!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886798

Both informative posts and making fun posts have coexisted happily in that thread thus far.

Perfect! I knew it existed (pretty sure I even posted in there) so all EGS derails have a home!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

All EGS in one basket.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

VideoGames posted:

New Thread Rule:

Thank you kindly all!

Am I allowed to say thank you to coolguye for posting their perspective? I was genuinely curious and found their post to be civilized and explained their point.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Am I allowed to say thank you to coolguye for posting their perspective? I was genuinely curious and found their post to be civilized and explained their point.

Of course.

I mean, I personally do not like the EGS either so I will not be using it which is why I asked for anything about it to be moved to the other thread where it is more topic appropriate rather than come around probating left, right and centre.

However you sort have already thanked them in that post so it is done :)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Monument Valley 2 free on iOS and Android

DeePee posted:

Lara Croft GO is free on App Store and Google Play.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lara Croft Go is the best of the Go games I think, and a great puzzle game.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

More free games. They weren't terribly expensive to begin with, but hey, they all got positive reviews

https://store.steampowered.com/app/420740/The_Deed/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135570/Martian_Law/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/618140/Barro/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/JonasKyratzes/status/1243495607492280320

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jonas Kyratzes was one of the writers for The Talos Principle (and many other smaller things).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I bought Omegaland a while back and it is really good, although it has a very harsh difficulty spike around halfway through

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Predator: Hunting Grounds is free this weekend on epic games store

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

grill youre saelf posted:

Free to play this weekend, not to keep.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Drawful 2 on steam got posted here, but it's on EGS now too, and I'm not going over the last page of slapfights to see if that got shared.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

HELLION is free on Steam. Sounds like an EA casualty that didn’t quite make it - it’ll be free for a while and then it’ll be removed from the storefront entirely. Figured someone might get a kick out of checking it out, though!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Recent Reviews: Mostly Negative (88)
All Reviews: Mixed (3,184)

Yikes. Yeah that didn't go well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zesty posted:

Recent Reviews: Mostly Negative (88)
All Reviews: Mixed (3,184)

Yikes. Yeah that didn't go well.

I saw a thread for that a couple years ago and everyone had fun for about an hour then realized it was deeply, fundamentally broken and incomplete even for an EA game

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

El Fideo posted:

Drawful 2 on steam got posted here, but it's on EGS now too, and I'm not going over the last page of slapfights to see if that got shared.

Also on the Mac App Store.

I believe the EGS version is DRM-free so it might be worth picking up there even if you grabbed it on Steam.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

grill youre saelf posted:

It's not bad, it's basically evolve, where the monster is always the same, and it's always the one that forces the players to look up.

I was playing it with a full group of 5, and it seemed fun enough to rotate everyone through the predator/fireteam.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RBA Starblade posted:

I saw a thread for that a couple years ago and everyone had fun for about an hour then realized it was deeply, fundamentally broken and incomplete even for an EA game

yeah the reviews that i can see are mostly ragging on bugs and controls, stuff like input lag and the like. it takes some serious fuckups to have input lag be a thing in tyool 2020 so that one was probably never gonna work without another team behind the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Samuringa posted:

I bought Omegaland a while back and it is really good, although it has a very harsh difficulty spike around halfway through
It's a platformer in which I had to grind for upgrades in order to proceed.

On the other hand, it's a platformer that I've finished, which is fairly rare.

The writing is fairly decent as well. Cute and witty without being cutesy and "wacky".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cat Quest is free on Android and iOS, I know there was some debate about phone games being here, but I think that's silly, it's not a gatcha and it's also a console port, just those versions aren't currently free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Cat Quest is free on Android and iOS, I know there was some debate about phone games being here, but I think that's silly, it's not a gatcha and it's also a console port, just those versions aren't currently free.

Yeah and I'm not going to follow a mobile game thread so thants! :tipshat: (I was a bit disappointed by the Tomb Raider game I got thanks to this thread because it has god drat load times which is pretty unforgivable for a game where the levels take like ten seconds to play.)