Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Scavving on reserve, I've got 2 rules:
if you were in the building first, I'll leave you alone, but anybody I see coming out of the building before I'm away gets blasted
and if I'm in a building first and you walk in, I'm going to shoot you, scav or not. AI Scavs are pretty obvious, but if I can't tell, I'm not taking any chances. Too many unfriendly Pscavs on reserve to take that bet.

I've run into a LOT more friendly scavs in Interchange than Reserve, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I learned my lesson about trying to team up with other scavs, but I try and not fight them as much as possible. It's better we just ignore each other than fight. It's likely we will trade shots, obviously one of us will win, but we will have taken damage and rarely have meds as a scav. So now we are both hurt, possibly bleeding out or limping and both our raids are basically hosed. PMC's have such an advantage in gear/meds that it's better scavs just work together when able or at least ignore each other.

I also recognize that a lot of players rely on scav runs, especially new players, so it's better if they just get to have their run.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

Frog bro, dont engage the stats discussion in the thread, be a chill dude and :getin: the discord. Goons will help and often shower you with loot and guns.

e:

You too dude, come be chill in the discord and goons can help you out. If you want to do a low stress run with zero risk, run a raid in offline mode, you can even turn scavs off to just wander the map and get a feel for it. In offline you dont lose or gain anything.

Hell yeah, I am in the discord already, I will definitely play with some goons, I think this game would be a lot of fun with a 2-4 man team. More than that seems like it would be hard to keep track of given that I almost killed my buddy the other day cus we spawned with a door between us

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
:siren: new patch notes are out! :siren:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
not enough spelling errors

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Just got the game as a way of passing this along stuck at home time. A few questions:
I keep dying to scavs (I believe - I am not even sure to tell since I get basically head shorted all the time) in customs starting area. Like I am having real hard trouble getting out as the pmc, while it's a hassle free situation whenever I spawn there as a player scav. Am I missing something? (Like you always need this kind of armor - as the only one I can get from one of the dealer is lvl2).
I think I have played around 20 raids and I still haven't managed to get any closer to completing the quests.

Please tell me I am not the only one having real hard time with what is supposed to be the "easy" stuff - ai scavs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RattiRatto posted:

Just got the game as a way of passing this along stuck at home time. A few questions:
I keep dying to scavs (I believe - I am not even sure to tell since I get basically head shorted all the time) in customs starting area. Like I am having real hard trouble getting out as the pmc, while it's a hassle free situation whenever I spawn there as a player scav. Am I missing something? (Like you always need this kind of armor - as the only one I can get from one of the dealer is lvl2).
I think I have played around 20 raids and I still haven't managed to get any closer to completing the quests.

Please tell me I am not the only one having real hard time with what is supposed to be the "easy" stuff - ai scavs

have you tried rushing electronics for an hour? upgrade your workbench and do the free recipe poo poo before asking for help in here. or go play auction house with some knowledge. just set up your bitcoin farm bro, game's easy

nah but in all seriousness:
1. AI scavs hardly ever aim for the head unless it's the only thing they can see, they will almost always black out your limbs or just shoot you in the thorax
2. Normal and player scavs have different names from PMCs -- they are always 2 words long and look Russian
3. The starting area is one of the most dangerous areas at the start of a raid because it's full of other people

If you're being instantly killed all the time it's probably not by AI scavs, and if it's in the starting area at the beginning of the raid it's probably not by player scavs. Your best bet is either to leave the starting area as quickly as possible and rush out into the map, or go find a place to hide out of sight for 5-10 minutes so that everyone else clears out. Beyond that, make sure you always wear a helmet (the green WW2-looking one Ragman sells is a great starting helmet) and body armor (if you have the flea market, trade for the green camo "Uley" armored rig, if not buy PACA). It won't give you survivability against players, but it will protect you from scavs.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

RattiRatto posted:

Join the discord linked in the OP, goons are very helpful and you'll only get accidentally TK'd (or accidentally kill a team mate) a few times.

Just hop in a voice channel with goons and let them know you are new - theres surely a goon or two who will be happy to sherpa you around and show you the ropes. This late in the wipe, a lot of people are also super flush with cash and can bring you in a gun or a logout.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Will definitely join the discord this weekend. How often do wipes occur? Any idea when the next one might drop?

Also sadly I cannot use the flea market until lvl 10 - and so far given all my fail raids it's going to take a while to get there. Will definitely try the "hide in a bush for 10m".

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

RattiRatto posted:

All the PMC's should load into the map at the same time, a minute or three (not sure) before scavs are loaded in. If you are on Customs, this means that most loading spots in the map are either in a group by the big red office building in the west, or in the group of factory type buildings to the east. It's very common to have players that know spawns spend the first 30 seconds to 5 minutes pushing all the nearby spawns to clear them.

As the poster above said, if you aren't feeling your A game, spend the first 5-10 minutes of the match hiding out.

The way the PMC's spawn in, together, in predictable locations, with no scavs to get in each others' way, can really lead to new players getting merc'ed hard when they are just looking around and taking it easy and haven't gone far.

I believe on the death screen player names are always one word, regular scavs will have 2 names, and scav raiders/bosses/bodyguards will have predictable one word names. That's at least one unit of information you can glean when you are one tapped and didn't even see anything.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Customs is also a pretty brutal map if you're new. Some of the others are a bit easier, I think Interchange and Shoreline are both reasonably friendly outside of a few hot spots on each; though I know Customs is where most starting quests occur.

Also run your player scav as often as possible. You won't get quest progression but you can keep anything you get out with, there's no risk involved in going into a raid, and it's a great way to learn the maps and some of the basic gear.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
https://youtu.be/6AJrrTlga3Q

This video is really good for explaining customs spawns and the flow of the map, check it out. Customs is by far my favorite map for PVP because of its uniquely linear design, but this also makes it really really hard if you don’t know what to expect re: spawns and when certain groups of players can be expected to be in spots of the map. More than any other map it’s really important to figure out who spawned on your side and what they are doing.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

RattiRatto posted:

Don’t worry, I have watched 6 man syncs on factory lose people camping the bathroom on factory to scavs, caught random single shot rounds to the eyes multiple times, and had my legs shredded by shotgun scavs

Everyone dies in tarkov basically

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I swear to god this loving game. Been trying to do this gilded zippo poo poo for a couple of days. Keep getting killed close to the trailer. Then I finally get to the trailer and realize I have the wrong key because there's two loving keys labeled cabin key. Then I get the right key, random scav headshots me from nowhere right next to the trailer. Then I get to the trailer, get in, and am holding the button and of course a random rear end pmc decides this would be a great time to come in this random trailer. I kill him. Then another loving pmc comes by. The one time I get in there and am ready to finish the thing two people decide this is the hot spot of the map. I shoot enough to scare him off and try to get my hold down until I have 5 seconds left and the moron killed me and himself with a grenade.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

aniviron posted:

Customs is also a pretty brutal map if you're new. Some of the others are a bit easier, I think Interchange and Shoreline are both reasonably friendly outside of a few hot spots on each; though I know Customs is where most starting quests occur.

Also run your player scav as often as possible. You won't get quest progression but you can keep anything you get out with, there's no risk involved in going into a raid, and it's a great way to learn the maps and some of the basic gear.

and I should point out that as a new player your survivability will often be higher on your scav than on your PMC simply because you appear on the map at an unpredictable place/time, which eliminates a lot of the advantage experienced players have re: knowledge of spawns and common routes, which both reduces the likelihood you'll get deliberately taken out and increases the likelihood you'll be able to get the drop on another player

(I'll also note that this means that while scavs are a great way to learn maps you'll also need to anticipate making some adjustments when you do start running them on your PMC - but its also obviously a lot easier to learn spawns/timing if you've got a general sense of how everything fits together)

e:

SquirrelGrip posted:

Don’t worry, I have watched 6 man syncs on factory lose people camping the bathroom on factory to scavs, caught random single shot rounds to the eyes multiple times, and had my legs shredded by shotgun scavs

Everyone dies in tarkov basically

yep

this is also one of the reasons you always want to ensure your poo poo

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 27, 2020

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
if you're having trouble with scavs, you can practice fighting them in offline mode. Load up a factory game, set scavs to online difficulty and you can crank up the number to high if you're feeling frisky. Bring lots of extra ammo or practice quickly looting your kills and packing mags, etc.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RattiRatto posted:

Will definitely join the discord this weekend. How often do wipes occur? Any idea when the next one might drop?

Also sadly I cannot use the flea market until lvl 10 - and so far given all my fail raids it's going to take a while to get there. Will definitely try the "hide in a bush for 10m".

Next wipe probably won't be until June, and the thing to remember about wipes is it changes playstyles dramatically. sweaty bois can no longer run an m4a1 and m995 for literally every raid because until they can buy them from traders/market turbonerds can buy them from traders and fleamarket them, there's really only map supply of them

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I just got the THICC case from the therapist quest. I'm wanting to sell it as I don't need the space. I've heard the price is more like 19MIL instead of 16MIL and the top offers are bugged. Any insight?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

mysteryberto posted:

I just got the THICC case from the therapist quest. I'm wanting to sell it as I don't need the space. I've heard the price is more like 19MIL instead of 16MIL and the top offers are bugged. Any insight?

not really, there's apparently a bug with a certain price range on the THICC case making it impossible to buy, but as its a bug, nobody knows what's causing it, so proceed with caution

edit: I saw some sell just now at 18.85 mil, but they move really slowly. Be aware that a 1 item list has a 12 hour window to get bought in. The top 3 orders at 16.7 mil look like they're impossible to buy and will expire in a few hours.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 27, 2020

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

not really, there's apparently a bug with a certain price range on the THICC case making it impossible to buy, but as its a bug, nobody knows what's causing it, so proceed with caution

edit: I saw some sell just now at 18.85 mil, but they move really slowly. Be aware that a 1 item list has a 12 hour window to get bought in. The top 3 orders at 16.7 mil look like they're impossible to buy and will expire in a few hours.

Also apparently it affects your 'reputation' on the market if your things don't sell? tho I genuinely have no clue if rep on the flea market even mattes the tiniest bit.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Sell your THICC case unless you need it for the space. List it at or just below the cheapest offer. You're still gonna make a fuckload off it. iirc, I sold mine for 16 mil. roubles after the therapist quest.

Your rep on the flea allows you to list more items. When you hit 10 rep, you can start listing 4 items at a time. Probably the same for when you hit 20, 30, etc. If your item doesn't sell or if you pull your item early your rep will take a hit, but its negligible.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

mysteryberto posted:

Depends on how quick you need the money. Inflation is always going up. Remember those things used to be 6 mil. It will sell at 19m eventually, might be a day or two though. I've tried to buy the ones at 16mil and they don't work. They've always been like that. I've seen some cases get listed at 16mil and sell immediately and i've seen some sell at 19mil over time. It's strange the items keep getting relisted at that weird number and not selling, just having that bug.

Also, depending on how much you need the money, i'd keep it. You'll want them eventually. I have 4 of them and would love at least another one.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rouble inflation isn't real... yet. Traders always buy and sell items in roubles for the same amount. Dollar and euro inflation is real as hell but they're actually steadily deflating it seems like. Euros were up to 135 roubles per from Skier last I checked. Flea Market fluctuations don't constitute inflation IMO, it's just supply and demand with the occasional artificial scarcity introduced by arbitrage.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChesterJT posted:

I swear to god this loving game. Been trying to do this gilded zippo poo poo for a couple of days. Keep getting killed close to the trailer. Then I finally get to the trailer and realize I have the wrong key because there's two loving keys labeled cabin key. Then I get the right key, random scav headshots me from nowhere right next to the trailer. Then I get to the trailer, get in, and am holding the button and of course a random rear end pmc decides this would be a great time to come in this random trailer. I kill him. Then another loving pmc comes by. The one time I get in there and am ready to finish the thing two people decide this is the hot spot of the map. I shoot enough to scare him off and try to get my hold down until I have 5 seconds left and the moron killed me and himself with a grenade.

That quest is karmically bugged or something. When I was trying to do it the other week with a full goon stack it took like 9 tries, we kept spawning on the non-Big Red side, would lose at least one person getting into/out of dorms, then get murderized at the train when we crossed the river. When I finally did managed to complete the drat quest I was the only person still alive, disconnecting every ~5 minutes, and had like 2 minutes on the raid countdown by the time I had finished hiding the drat thing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The first time I tried to do that quest it bugged out. The zippo disappeared from my quest inventory but nothing else happened. Confirmed cursed.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Got it done first try today but can doubly confirmed it's cursed. Got the zippo with no problem, got all the way around to the cabin. Never see a single scav or pmc, and only heard very distant gunfire. As soon as I get in and start the countdown I hear a scav voice outside really close. I stick with the timer and get it finsihed, look out, and three scavs are all right outside looking straight towards me. Manage to kill one but one of the other two got me. Quest completed but definitely some bullshit.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Got it done first try today but can doubly confirmed it's cursed. Got the zippo with no problem, got all the way around to the cabin. Never see a single scav or pmc, and only heard very distant gunfire. As soon as I get in and start the countdown I hear a scav voice outside really close. I stick with the timer and get it finsihed, look out, and three scavs are all right outside looking straight towards me. Manage to kill one but one of the other two got me. Quest completed but definitely some bullshit.

Haha maybe they were player scavs doing you the solid of letting you complete it?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

They moved like ai scavs and were doing the chatter thing but who knows. I didn't even really care at that point. Also just saw my first speed/aimbot hacker on Customs of all places.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
if you’re not constantly shouting gibberish in Russian while doing your scav runs you’re objectively playing it wrong

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

causticBeet posted:

if you’re not constantly shouting gibberish in Russian while doing your scav runs you’re objectively playing it wrong

I've found that hitting the gibberish hotkey (F1 I think?) over and over when in the vicinity of another player scav has brought me wayyy more fun than it's gotten me killed. Most of the time they're surprised that I'm making myself known, so they'll be curious enough to not kill me immediately, in which case I can do the wiggle and teabag motions.

I've teamed up with a LOT of p.scavs this way, way more than I've been killed by them. The issue is you ultimately do have to see them first and have the opportunity to start spamming gibberish.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

I've found that hitting the gibberish hotkey (F1 I think?) over and over when in the vicinity of another player scav has brought me wayyy more fun than it's gotten me killed. Most of the time they're surprised that I'm making myself known, so they'll be curious enough to not kill me immediately, in which case I can do the wiggle and teabag motions.

I've teamed up with a LOT of p.scavs this way, way more than I've been killed by them. The issue is you ultimately do have to see them first and have the opportunity to start spamming gibberish.

And even then, 75% of the time they will shoot you in face and/or back.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Truth is - I am bad at this game I want a story mode basically a new stalker

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RattiRatto posted:

Truth is - I am bad at this game I want a story mode basically a new stalker

Good news, Nikita plans on having a story mode

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do we know anything about it? Because if it's just the same kind of collection quests then it's not much of a progress

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol this feature creep is such a mess dude

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its actually reverse feature creep in that tarkov is spun out of the original work they did on a single player game, they took what they had been working on and did this with it instead to let them iterate easier because when its disconnected maps in a mp game you can just add bits as you go and work on the core systems seperately. the plan has always been for it to be a stalker style single player game with a multiplayer mode.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
I just want to say that if they nerf containers in some way, I hope it is by making the contents return at the speed of insurance.

I haven't heard any other suggestions I like, and I think this makes thematic sense, I don't know why you would have it's contents retrieved immediately in the first place right after a failed raid. (I mean, I guess who is retrieving your 0 health body?? Is the container chained to you and scavs just flush your dead body down the river?? And then like proper action movie Commando Rambo's the PMC just wakes back up at 1hp?)

I don't know if it would help any of the problems people bitch about - institutionalized profiteers might be fine selling a paracord tomorrow whereas normal players might need their 60stack of BS ammo immediately for the next raid. But people are suggesting "can't put items into it" ...and I would hate that.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ultimatefire posted:

I just want to say that if they nerf containers in some way, I hope it is by making the contents return at the speed of insurance.

I haven't heard any other suggestions I like, and I think this makes thematic sense, I don't know why you would have it's contents retrieved immediately in the first place right after a failed raid. (I mean, I guess who is retrieving your 0 health body?? Is the container chained to you and scavs just flush your dead body down the river?? And then like proper action movie Commando Rambo's the PMC just wakes back up at 1hp?)

I don't know if it would help any of the problems people bitch about - institutionalized profiteers might be fine selling a paracord tomorrow whereas normal players might need their 60stack of BS ammo immediately for the next raid. But people are suggesting "can't put items into it" ...and I would hate that.

This seems right up NIkkis alley in terms of a negative QOL change that does nothing to address any real problems and just presents a minor and easily surmountable inconvenience for most players

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ultimatefire posted:

i too very much hate playing the game, and would love waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The change of just holding stuff you bring in is fine with me and I say this is a habitual secure container pistol runner. It got me my millions. I proposed a change of having a timer on items before they can go into your container. That way there is still a chance that you can kill the person and get the good loot. Right now you just find the item and stop everything to secure it. If you had a 1min-15min wait (dependent on value of item) before it could go in the container, that would prevent hatchlings from snapping up all the good stuff in the first few minutes. It also adds that now you need to bring a little more gear with you, because eventually you'll run out of pockets just waiting on some timers.

I don't really care too much. Secure containers are such a small aspect of the game that i'm fine with either way. I'd rather see the day where running with a pistol and nothing else isn't needed because you have enough passive income to not need to worry about money. The scav system already works well enough for making money. Yea, I have runs where I make nothing and I have runs where I make half a mil in minutes. But I can easily go into a raid and make at least 100k-150k, with almost no effort. That's enough to pay for a budget build.

I do want to see the hideout changed even more though. More passive income, more crafting, etc.