Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I did a 0 degree (c) track day on cup2s and it was one of my all time favourite memories :)
I always forget some of america is a fully frozen third world

E: good pic for a new page. Going full flintstones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Passed on the Z4, just not ready to buy yet with all this poo poo going on and I didn't like being pressured because "moving tomorrow better buy it now"

Was a pretty car tho I'll give it that.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Passed on the Z4, just not ready to buy yet with all this poo poo going on and I didn't like being pressured because "moving tomorrow better buy it now"

Was a pretty car tho I'll give it that.

Disapprove.

Bape,

What, exactly are you attempting to do there, bud?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Getting rid of the spare tire well to save weight and open up space for a diffuser? :v:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Cut EVERYTHING out, make a tube frame rear end with just skins :q:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Getting rid of the spare tire well to save weight and open up space for a diffuser? :v:

;)

And nice new neat metal to tie rear subframe triangulation into etc

My pal Dan who runs this place is a nutcase and just likes metalwork https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/ss-autowerks-car-modifying-interview

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been rocking Firehawk Indy 500s and they are pretty nice. About half the cost of getting PS4s.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

flightless greeb posted:

Looks great! Really like the F10 - would love to grab the M5 one day if I can ever afford the maintenance on it and decide I'm sick of manuals. Did you have the coyote brown leather in your older car? I'm in love with that color.

Nah, just the nice boring black! I will add that the white seats that are still pretty popular are aging like poo poo on the used market.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Cojawfee posted:

I've been rocking Firehawk Indy 500s and they are pretty nice. About half the cost of getting PS4s.

Agree, I freaking love those tires. I ran PSS for the longest time but the Indy 500s are a fraction of the price and perform nearly as good... I am not pushing them to the limit that PSSs require, for sure.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I will be shamed for asking, but do they come in M5 20” sizes? Half the price for a car that eats tires for breakfast, brunch, elevenses, lunch, supper, dinner, dessert, and midnight snack is appealing

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

;)

And nice new neat metal to tie rear subframe triangulation into etc

My pal Dan who runs this place is a nutcase and just likes metalwork https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/ss-autowerks-car-modifying-interview

yeee. The cage on that Audi (?) is loving insane.

Cojawfee posted:

I ran a set on my ZHP, including 6 track days. They were great, especially once you factor in the price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

I will be shamed for asking, but do they come in M5 20” sizes? Half the price for a car that eats tires for breakfast, brunch, elevenses, lunch, supper, dinner, dessert, and midnight snack is appealing

I want to say maybe no? I don't know exactly what size you need, but I clicked around various years for M5s on the firestone site and every 20" option didn't have any tires.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Is there anything weird you have to setup to use Spotify over bluetooth on an android phone for an i3? My 2016 i3 just got delivered today, and i can't get Spotify to play audio. Castbox plays podcasts fine but for some reason the car won't play audio from Spotify and doesn't show the track details. The Spotify app also doesn't show up on Connecteddrive or media like I've seen on some people's cars. Any ideas?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've had my E82 for exactly 1 year now and I've driven it a grand total of 6800 miles. All my other cars have broken odometers so I never realized how little I actually drove

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

I've had my E82 for exactly 1 year now and I've driven it a grand total of 6800 miles. All my other cars have broken odometers so I never realized how little I actually drove

do a bernout

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dusted off the M5, everything working as intended. its a loving great car.

i need to diagnose and replace the hood cables, though, and to get to two of them i need to take off the whole loving front of the car. god drat germans

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dont open the hood, problem solved, loving duh

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Is there anything weird you have to setup to use Spotify over bluetooth on an android phone for an i3? My 2016 i3 just got delivered today, and i can't get Spotify to play audio. Castbox plays podcasts fine but for some reason the car won't play audio from Spotify and doesn't show the track details. The Spotify app also doesn't show up on Connecteddrive or media like I've seen on some people's cars. Any ideas?

Very strange. I have a 2018 i3s and use CarPlay but before I hack-tivated that I used Bluetooth and had no issues...

Have you attempted an unpair/repair of the phone in the iDrive menus? Tried a...reboot of the phone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

dont open the hood, problem solved, loving duh

lol @ the idea of not having to open the hood of a E39

right now i have to pop the lever, take off one of the grilles, reach in, and actuate the drivers side lock by hand. i have gotten really good at it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I keep a 12” screwdriver in the Benz to open the hood, carry on man.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

jink posted:

Very strange. I have a 2018 i3s and use CarPlay but before I hack-tivated that I used Bluetooth and had no issues...

Have you attempted an unpair/repair of the phone in the iDrive menus? Tried a...reboot of the phone?

Yeah, tried that & reinstalling spotify and connceteddrive, updating the car and a few other things. FWIW I chucked a post up on the reddit i3 forum and the first reply was someone saying they're having the exact same issue. For now I've solved it by using google music instead, I'll try it with my wife's Samsung when I get a chance, maybe it's something weird with my phone...

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol @ the idea of not having to open the hood of a E39

right now i have to pop the lever, take off one of the grilles, reach in, and actuate the drivers side lock by hand. i have gotten really good at it.

A 90 degree bent tip long screwdriver might help.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/d/ann-arbor-2006-bmw-m6/7099870188.html

haha V10 engine go brrr

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
contact me for VIN.

Riiiigggghhhhttttttt

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Yeah, tried that & reinstalling spotify and connceteddrive, updating the car and a few other things. FWIW I chucked a post up on the reddit i3 forum and the first reply was someone saying they're having the exact same issue. For now I've solved it by using google music instead, I'll try it with my wife's Samsung when I get a chance, maybe it's something weird with my phone...

I ran into Spotify issues on my 14 i3 today. Always play music over Bluetooth when I'm in the car but usually using poweramp to play music on my phone. Went to try Spotify today and I get nothing. Shows it's playing and is connected but no music through the speakers even at max volume. Tried poweramp again and it worked fine. Even tried opening Spotify through the BMW connected app but same issue.

Spotify working fine to a Bluetooth speaker in the garage

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 28, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Crunchy Black posted:

contact me for VIN.

Riiiigggghhhhttttttt
I’ve see that a few times in ads and wondered what the catch is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hey that's in my town, should I go check it out?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That is hilarious.
Not only because of all the other red flags, but especially because "drove her like a granny".

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Some people are just paranoid about posting their VIN online. The same kind of folks who block out their license plate when they post pictures of their car online. No big deal, IMO.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

I ran into Spotify issues on my 14 i3 today. Always play music over Bluetooth when I'm in the car but usually using poweramp to play music on my phone. Went to try Spotify today and I get nothing. Shows it's playing and is connected but no music through the speakers even at max volume. Tried poweramp again and it worked fine. Even tried opening Spotify through the BMW connected app but same issue.

Spotify working fine to a Bluetooth speaker in the garage

I ended up getting it working on the latest Android 10 update, so if you get stuck maybe check to see if there's one available for your phone.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

contact me for VIN.

Riiiigggghhhhttttttt

He didn’t say which VIN. That thing has at least three in various places.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

I had forgotten how terrible prepping things for paint is. All four calipers have been sanded with 120 then 400 grit. I'm going to use my Dremel to remove the front casting marks as well as get in the nooks and crannies.

I'm going to shoot them gloss black, mask of the M logo casting and shoot that with the teal, blue, red, white and seal and finish it all with clear.

Hopefully this turns out ok. Wish me luck.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You should polish them to a mirror finish.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I'd paint them brake dust grey

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Big Taint posted:

You should polish them to a mirror finish.

Any good excuse to buy some rogue and a buffing wheel right? That's an extra level of work I'm not looking to undertake. Polished calipers probably wouldn't look too terrible depending on the asthetic you were going for and how often you actually polished them.

hitze posted:

Great idea, it'll provide the illusion that I actually drive this car.

quote:

E: good pic for a new page. Going full flintstones

Geninue question for you Bape, as someone who's getting into tracking their cars how do you get over having to mangle your chasis like that? I understand you're going to make something functional out of that void but I can't even bring myself to hammer the trans tunnel on my Miata to fit in a proper race seat that will fit my tall self.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 29, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

hitze posted:

I already did my wheels in this, don't copy me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Diametunim posted:

Geninue question for you Bape, as someone who's getting into tracking their cars how do you get over having to mangle your chasis like that? I understand you're going to make something functional out of that void but I can't even bring myself to hammer the trans tunnel on my Miata to fit in a proper race seat that will fit my tall self.

There are two kinds of truck owners

1) waxes and polishes truck every sunday
2) drives off the dealer lot, does not buy the bed liner, immediately goes to home depot and throws 400 lbs of firewood in the bed of the truck

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ve see that a few times in ads and wondered what the catch is.

It indicates a couple of possibilities with BMWs
1) its been hit. (This was and is a huge thing with e36s (and maybe other chassis, but that's where my experience lies)) as from factory all panels had a label with the VIN. If it has a replacement panel, it's labeled DOT-R)
2) it's stolen
3) flood car/etc. Lots of BMW VIN decoders online can tell you the factory options. If something was changed or replaced, real easy to tell from the VIN and pictures before you go look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I ended up getting it working on the latest Android 10 update, so if you get stuck maybe check to see if there's one available for your phone.
Phone is as up to date as it'll go. Might try pairing my Wife's phone and see if it'll work from hers, would at least tell me if it's a phone or a car issue.

Diametunim posted:

Once you get in the mindset of "this is a track/race car" it becomes a lot easier.