Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I find that in Mono-G Brawl, Guardian Project and The Great Henge are just about the only non-creature effects really worth running. Every other permanent should be a threat. Any of the draw spells, or the ramp spells aren’t worth running. Finale is fine to run because it’s a win-con, but I would strongly consider cutting everything that can’t beat someone to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Wafflecopper posted:

Beast is on the list but statue would be my first cut yeah

Statue was something I threw in because it seemed like if I could get it out quick it could cripple people. It already happened a couple times but I'm willing to cut it for something else.

The reason I don't have more removal is because there are a fuckton of creatureless control decks out there and I'm trying to minimize dead cards in hand. I could be convinced otherwise.

Bust Rodd posted:

I find that in Mono-G Brawl, Guardian Project and The Great Henge are just about the only non-creature effects really worth running. Every other permanent should be a threat. Any of the draw spells, or the ramp spells aren’t worth running. Finale is fine to run because it’s a win-con, but I would strongly consider cutting everything that can’t beat someone to death.

Cool gimme some suggestions!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I forgot how much I hate precon events. "Why the gently caress am I drawing this c...oh yeah."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah Brawl is mostly slow enough that you only desperately need ramp if your wincon is 7+ mana.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah Brawl is mostly slow enough that you only desperately need ramp if your wincon is 7+ mana.

Well all my biggest beaters cost a ton of mana so wouldn't I want to ramp into Nissa ASAP?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Stuff like Druids and Caryatid I could see taking, but you don't need the spells that just find lands, or the mana artifacts, for instance.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Stuck forever at the updating screen, anyone else?

EDIT: working now.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 27, 2020

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there some thing about the preconstructed matchmaking that prevents mirror matches? I have never had one.

9:6 for the current event. And all my losses were with the fires deck against the red deck. And one of my 2 wins was one where my opponent would have one if he had the lands for t4 torban. The other one I was matched against the simic deck instead, which is slower.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Is there some thing about the preconstructed matchmaking that prevents mirror matches? I have never had one.

9:6 for the current event. And all my losses were with the fires deck against the red deck. And one of my 2 wins was one where my opponent would have one if he had the lands for t4 torban. The other one I was matched against the simic deck instead, which is slower.

Some of them disallow mirror matches all together, some try to avoid them if possible, and some don't care.

The Elspeth vs. Ashiok singleton event with the power nine cards scattered through them was an instance where the mirror match wasn't allowed. The Ashiok deck was better than the Elspeth deck and as a result the queue times were like 10 minutes for a match when you queued with Ashiok, while you'd get instant matches as Elspeth.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."

I'm looking for 6 cuts to this B/G deck I drafted. I'm thinking of cutting 1 from each of the 2x cards that's in there currently. I'm thinking of cutting the Nyxborn Marauder since it's just a beater without any other benefits and the Inspire Awe for the last two. I'm trying to keep my graveyard fed since I have quite a few creatures with Escape so ideally I keep the cards that puts cards into my graveyard when played. Any thoughts?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You definitely don't need two moss vipers or two return to natures, especially not with the Mystic Repeal as well. Grim Physician is pretty eh outside sac decks. So, those can definitely go (and by that I mean all 3 1 drop creatures and both RTNs), and Enemy of Enlightenment is pretty bad too. There's your six.

I'd probably cut Inspire Awe for Wings, too. Polukranos is gonna be way better with Flying...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah wings is good, put that in, and drop inspire awe as a four-mana fog that is sort of random seems useless to me

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

20 Lands seems really low for a deck that wants to make use of Nissa, is my first impression., and that low a land count would diminish the effectiveness of Ilsyian Dryad and Grazer.

I run a Questing Beast brawl deck that runs more low and mid-curve creatures and can play more of a miracle-grow style game with cards like wildborn preserver, setessan champion, yorvo, and hornbeetle. I don't have a lot of the pre-ELD rares and mythics and I'm not spending WCs on them at this point (most notably nissa, cavalier, ceratops, vivien, whisperer) so my deck is structured differently and I have had to seek out some more creative sources of card advantage, but here's what I'm running with:

Commander
1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171

Deck
1 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
1 Gingerbread Cabin (ELD) 245
1 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
20 Forest (THB) 287
1 Shadowspear (THB) 236
1 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
1 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
1 Destiny Spinner (THB) 168
1 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
1 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
1 Nessian Hornbeetle (THB) 182
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Warbriar Blessing (THB) 204
1 Wildborn Preserver (ELD) 182
1 Wolfwillow Haven (THB) 205
1 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
1 The First Iroan Games (THB) 170
1 Setessan Champion (THB) 198
1 Thrashing Brontodon (M20) 197
1 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
1 Arasta of the Endless Web (THB) 165
1 Nylea, Keen-Eyed (THB) 185
1 Nullhide Ferox (GRN) 138
1 Renata, Called to the Hunt (THB) 196
1 Oakhame Adversary (ELD) 167
1 Keeper of Fables (ELD) 163
1 God-Eternal Rhonas (WAR) 163
1 Feasting Troll King (ELD) 152
1 Return of the Wildspeaker (ELD) 172
1 Gargos, Vicious Watcher (M20) 172
1 Aggressive Mammoth (M20) 337
1 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
1 Meteor Golem (M20) 232
1 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
1 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
1 End-Raze Forerunners (RNA) 124
1 Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) 235

Again, the deck's running a lower curve and a different game plan, but at it's also still able to have a game plan even if its commander gets iced over and over.

At the very least, I would recommend Wildborn Preserver and Thrashing Brontodon for your Nissa deck. They'll play well with Yorvo and Renata and Henge and give you some early plays that can have an impact.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Got my FNM sleeve by joining a Discord for a local store that is actually not close enough for me to go to on Friday nights after work, but accepted me virtually. I see 8 people have sent screenshots in so far in that channel, the store just DMed me the code and it worked.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Boco_T posted:

Got my FNM sleeve by joining a Discord for a local store that is actually not close enough for me to go to on Friday nights after work, but accepted me virtually. I see 8 people have sent screenshots in so far in that channel, the store just DMed me the code and it worked.

Thanks for the tip! Looks like my FLGS started a discord server for this too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

Commander
1 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169

Deck
19 Forest (UND) 96
1 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
1 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
1 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Kenrith's Transformation (ELD) 164
1 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
1 Pollenbright Druid (WAR) 173
1 Rabid Bite (M20) 190
1 Titanic Brawl (RNA) 146
1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (THB) 169
1 Evolution Sage (WAR) 159
1 Vivien, Champion of the Wilds (WAR) 180
1 Beast Whisperer (GRN) 123
1 Bloom Hulk (WAR) 154
1 Guardian Project (RNA) 130
1 Biogenic Ooze (RNA) 122
1 Shared Summons (M20) 193
1 Nyxbloom Ancient (THB) 190
1 Planewide Celebration (WAR) 172
1 Thorn Mammoth (ELD) 323
1 Finale of Devastation (WAR) 160
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
1 Karn's Bastion (WAR) 248
1 Lotus Field (M20) 249
1 Shadowspear (THB) 236
1 Nyx Lotus (THB) 235
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167

Loving this deck, just pump out the fatties and draw more fatties

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Just for fun I'm cobbling together a Gruul Cavalcade deck that relies on fat-bodied green dorks to trigger Cavalcade, because it says "any creature with power 1 or less".
Any advice to make this more consistent?

Deck
3 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
9 Forest (UND) 96
3 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
9 Mountain (UND) 94
4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
3 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
3 Healer of the Glade (M20) 176
3 Wildwood Tracker (ELD) 183
3 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
4 Goblin Banneret (GRN) 102
3 Flaxen Intruder (ELD) 155
1 Temple of Abandon (THB) 244
2 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Bond of Flourishing (WAR) 155
3 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
3 Beast Whisperer (GRN) 123

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Can you only get 1 of the sleeves from mtga FNM or all 3?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Elephant Ambush posted:

Statue was something I threw in because it seemed like if I could get it out quick it could cripple people. It already happened a couple times but I'm willing to cut it for something else.

Sometimes you'll catch your opponent short on lands with a hand of high CMC stuff, but a lot of the time they'll still be able to cast and it takes three spells before they've even spent the same amount of mana on it as you have. Mana they may not have even needed for anything else, spread out across several turns, while you probably spent a whole turn casting something that doesn't affect the board in a deck that's trying to win on the board. Just because it works occasionally (most cards do) doesn't mean it's not bad.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 27, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Bugsy posted:

Can you only get 1 of the sleeves from mtga FNM or all 3?
Should be one for each Friday, they're doing 3 events and have 3 sleeves. This week it's the crossed swords.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Commander
1 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169

Deck
19 Forest (UND) 96
1 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
1 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
1 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Kenrith's Transformation (ELD) 164
1 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
1 Pollenbright Druid (WAR) 173
1 Rabid Bite (M20) 190
1 Titanic Brawl (RNA) 146
1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (THB) 169
1 Evolution Sage (WAR) 159
1 Vivien, Champion of the Wilds (WAR) 180
1 Beast Whisperer (GRN) 123
1 Bloom Hulk (WAR) 154
1 Guardian Project (RNA) 130
1 Biogenic Ooze (RNA) 122
1 Shared Summons (M20) 193
1 Nyxbloom Ancient (THB) 190
1 Planewide Celebration (WAR) 172
1 Thorn Mammoth (ELD) 323
1 Finale of Devastation (WAR) 160
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
1 Karn's Bastion (WAR) 248
1 Lotus Field (M20) 249
1 Shadowspear (THB) 236
1 Nyx Lotus (THB) 235
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167

Loving this deck, just pump out the fatties and draw more fatties

STURB BROD

Seriously thanks duder. I'll playtest what I have now based on everyone's suggestions and see what I'm willing to spend WCs on. I appreciate the list :)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Any good Historic Pauper lists? I've never played the format before and would love to get in on it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chow-King posted:

I'm looking for 6 cuts to this B/G deck I drafted. I'm thinking of cutting 1 from each of the 2x cards that's in there currently. I'm thinking of cutting the Nyxborn Marauder since it's just a beater without any other benefits and the Inspire Awe for the last two. I'm trying to keep my graveyard fed since I have quite a few creatures with Escape so ideally I keep the cards that puts cards into my graveyard when played. Any thoughts?

thespaceinvader posted:

You definitely don't need two moss vipers or two return to natures, especially not with the Mystic Repeal as well. Grim Physician is pretty eh outside sac decks. So, those can definitely go (and by that I mean all 3 1 drop creatures and both RTNs), and Enemy of Enlightenment is pretty bad too. There's your six.

I'd probably cut Inspire Awe for Wings, too. Polukranos is gonna be way better with Flying...

I'd play Return to Nature before Omen of the Hunt in a deck with so few cards that cost more than 4.

Also if they're cutting the 1 drops they're down to 11 creatures which is definitely not enough. I'd drop one Funeral Rites and Relentless Pursuit before the Vipers because you're gonna get smoked by anybody that actually plays creatures in the first 4 turns when you only have 3 creatures that cost 3 or less that are capable of blocking .

This deck has so much air in it and barely any cards that are actually good. Did you just first pick Polukranos and hold onto BG for dear life?

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 28, 2020

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

the simic deck was ok, but not sure I really want to try the others after winning the two matches

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Hey thanks to everyone who helped me with my Nissa Brawl deck. I'm doing a lot better now.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Wavebreak Hippocamp feels out of place in the flash deck in that like... i don't want to tap out on turn three, but if i'm not casting it fairly early on i'm not generating nearly enough value out of it I feel.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

best poems about time

Having a hard time figuring out if this deck can win with these cuts. Any thoughts? First pick was Galia

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The Simic Flash deck just folds like wet cardboard to the Golgari deck, by the way. Innkeeper obviously just murders the deck that's trying to trade one-for-one, but Foulmire Knight also stonewalls Brineborn Cutthroat and if they bounce it to try and attack you get to draw more cards. You can just sit back, bait out counters with unbeatable cards like Lucky Clover or Henge, and then kill them with the adventure half of Smitten Swordmaster since you have a pile of 1/1 deathtouchers, Knight of the Ebon Legion, Order of Midnight and/or Blacklance Paragon. Then you can Find to buy back more Smitten Swordmasters, or Orders of Midnight getting Smitten Swordmasters.

Maybe don't try and build a flash archetype with one brazen borrower? I don't know

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Squiggly posted:

best poems about time

Having a hard time figuring out if this deck can win with these cuts. Any thoughts? First pick was Galia

- oread, arena trickster, nexus wardens, satyr's cunning, mountain

+ impending doom, triumph of anax, tower scout, nyxborn brute

you have two good escape cards so you don't need filler like cunning. you don't have enough ways of turning arena trickster on for it to be good at all. nexus wardens is a 1/4 in an aggro deck. oread is a 1/3 in an aggro deck. you have nessian wanderer, a low curve and a good enchantment count so you can easily get away with 16 lands.

putting wings, impending doom and/or triumph of anax on some big idiot is basically your only way of closing out games so put those cards in. the part where you have no good big creatures at all - not even a skophos warleader, let alone a voracious typhon - makes me think you went way too cute on gallia. i do not like where this deck is going, generally.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

ungulateman posted:

- oread, arena trickster, nexus wardens, satyr's cunning, mountain

+ impending doom, triumph of anax, tower scout, nyxborn brute

you have two good escape cards so you don't need filler like cunning. you don't have enough ways of turning arena trickster on for it to be good at all. nexus wardens is a 1/4 in an aggro deck. oread is a 1/3 in an aggro deck. you have nessian wanderer, a low curve and a good enchantment count so you can easily get away with 16 lands.

putting wings, impending doom and/or triumph of anax on some big idiot is basically your only way of closing out games so put those cards in. the part where you have no good big creatures at all - not even a skophos warleader, let alone a voracious typhon - makes me think you went way too cute on gallia. i do not like where this deck is going, generally.

Didn't get offered anything bigger than the brute, unfortunately. Only things I skipped for satyrs was a warbriars. The mistake might have been going for r/g in general, though it was semi free as seen from my picks. Didn't see any major removals in other colors (black and white) so the green enchantment removal seemed good in comparison

Appreciate the help, I'll try and record draft offerings next time

Edit: no other escape cards offered, should've said

Squiggly fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 28, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The Golgari deck is cool and fun and I won with it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Used https://mtgadraft.herokuapp.com tonight to play through 2 full drafts of Historic Peasant Cube on Arena. Sat on Google Hangouts to chat while drafting.

Site’s very easy to use, saw it on Going Optimal. Loaded the list, set it to have 4 bots, drafted, exported to Arena and played the games with direct challenge. We drafted twice and played 6 rounds in a little over 3 hours.

The games were sweet, I made UR Spells the first time and WB Removal Vampires the second time. The power level on the decks was high and the opened packs were stacked because you really collect up a lot of good uncommons when you pull from like 10 sets.

I highly recommend it under quarantine. You can also do regular set drafts with your collection loaded in so that you guarantee you won’t need to spend wildcards to build deck you draft.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is where I've gone with Izzet.

Phoenix Possibilities
3 Pteramander
4 Merfolk Secretkeeper
4 Goblin Electromancer
3 Bonecrusher Giant
2 Phoenix of Ash
2 Brazen Borrower
4 Arclight Phoenix
3 Chandra's Pyrohelix
2 Beacon Bolt
3 Shimmer of Possibility
4 Thrill of Possibility
4 Winged Words
2 Temple of Epiphany
4 Steam Vents
7 Mountain
9 Island

It's super fun for me when it works but it seems like every stupid jerk runs exiling removal or outright graveyard hate. It's depressing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jabor posted:

You could counter the problem cards (if you're in Blue), and/or exile Thassa before Agent becomes an issue (if you're in White).

Or you can win before they get to 7 mana (if you're in Red).
I mean...Sure, everything has a counterplay of some kind. And anyone who's playing those things is going to watching for those counterplays, just like you are constantly on guard against theirs. No player is sitting there twiddling their thumbs politely allowing you to outplay them. Such is MTG. And if that's all it was, then no one would ever complain about anything being unbalanced, but that's obviously not the case with everything, and particularly not with Agents and Thassa. It's just uniquely oppressive in a way that annihilates your boardstate while snowballing your opponents'. I'm generally using Selesnya enchantments or Simic flash. I've stuffed my pants full of exiles and counterspells...and all it still takes is a single round of something, literally anything, not going exactly the way it needs to go for any win-con I have to just get shat on.

Sorry, you're probably just offering helpful suggestions, but it's really not as simple as "well, how come people don't just do this?" People do. But some stuff is just unbalanced and that's all there really is to it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Squiggly posted:

best poems about time

Portent with only one sac outlet?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Servers seem to be hosed again. I can't get through a game without it hanging. This is awesome.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Just 4-1'ed the historic pauper event with this, only loss was a mull to 5 against mono-R.

Deck
4 Heliod's Pilgrim (THB) 20
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Law-Rune Enforcer (WAR) 20
12 Plains (MIR) 331
4 Pacifism (M20) 32
4 Sentinel's Eyes (THB) 36
4 Transcendent Envoy (THB) 40
4 Ancestral Mask (MMQ) 229
6 Forest (MIR) 347
4 Flutterfox (ELD) 12
2 Territorial Hammerskull (XLN) 41
4 Blossoming Sands (M20) 243
4 Karametra's Blessing (THB) 26

Beat burn, mono-B ill-gotten gains, mono-w tokens, and two other ??? archetypes.

Unsure about Pacifism vs. Trapped in the Tower, in the last match wish I had TitT but twice in the run it was better to have Pacifism to remove their fliers.

Netted 100 gold and a Settle the Wreckage, not too shabby.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 28, 2020

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Wowee, rode the bonecrusher giants in my kill everything deck to 3 more victories, mostly against mono r.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Been playing this deck, feels super solid and also true to the video thumbnail so I'm only playing it against randos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSeQH-UARJE&t=3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

TipTow posted:

Just 4-1'ed the historic pauper event with this, only loss was a mull to 5 against mono-R.

Deck
4 Heliod's Pilgrim (THB) 20
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Law-Rune Enforcer (WAR) 20
12 Plains (MIR) 331
4 Pacifism (M20) 32
4 Sentinel's Eyes (THB) 36
4 Transcendent Envoy (THB) 40
4 Ancestral Mask (MMQ) 229
6 Forest (MIR) 347
4 Flutterfox (ELD) 12
2 Territorial Hammerskull (XLN) 41
4 Blossoming Sands (M20) 243
4 Karametra's Blessing (THB) 26

Beat burn, mono-B ill-gotten gains, mono-w tokens, and two other ??? archetypes.

Unsure about Pacifism vs. Trapped in the Tower, in the last match wish I had TitT but twice in the run it was better to have Pacifism to remove their fliers.

Netted 100 gold and a Settle the Wreckage, not too shabby.

Thanks for this. I've never done Historic or Pauper before so I need good places to start.