Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, no; Facebook's massive return on investment is when they can just functionally sit and do nothing while algorithmically harvesting everything people say and do in Facebook Horizon (or really anything else in the Oculus client if they just merge an Oculus account into a mandatory Facebook one) and selling it as marketing data. You have to remember; Facebook's real money-maker is on-selling their userbase every way they can get away with, not any product with their name or an offshoot's on it. Companies and political lobbies would kill to know stupid poo poo like how long someone's looking at their advert billboards on-average, or just know in realtime what people are talking about (well more relevantly; Their product/candidate). And that's not even getting into the biometric stuff they can flog to insurance companies.
Sure. But that doesn't really negate my point which is that right now the only way for them to recoup any of their investment is to sell software on their store. In the long run no doubt they are interested in the data harvesting possibilities and might build a whole new side of their business off that (I'm sure they're doing some data harvesting/selling now too ofc but don't imagine they are getting a huge amount out of it just yet given the small userbase).
They are also well aware that even to get to that 'sit and do nothing' data selling situation you describe, they have to invest a shitload in this emerging platform in order to encourage content development so the userbase will grow - and they have said they're aware they need to do that for a long time. It needs to be good content otherwise they won't achieve the end goal. This is good for VR gamers because without this, nothing at all will be developed besides (mostly) relatively shallow and poo poo indy offerings.
How committed FB are to long term content production in relation to PCVR I don't know, as Quest seems vastly more popular.

Naturally if they decided e.g. not to operate a store at all (just sell hardware), or not to try to get people to buy stuff from it by having exclusive offerings on there, then there would be internal considerations about how long they could continue operating this part of their business at such a loss without them making serious efforts to mitigate that loss (increase store sales), given that they are investing in a tech that is still going to take years more to mature and gain widespread adoption. I would be surprised if, as a business, they would do anything on the scale that they have done (funding all the games etc) if they weren't at least making serious efforts to recoup something along the way.
As I said, it would be much better, and I think they would make more money, if they opened up their store to other HMDs at this point - but given that ReVive exists and they've shown they are happy with it existing, I'm not going to criticise them for the current approach. They certainly have better numbers than me on the different monetisation strategies available.
In general I don't think it's unreasonable for them to do try and make money from VR in the short term, given their investment, no matter their long term monetisation plans. Who the hell knows what this tech will end up as or even if their investments will pay off at all in the end.

Were I to govern how these things were done I would ensure that everything was collectivised and non-profit but hey, that's not the system right now. Maybe if we have a massive economic shift post-Corona :)

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Inacio posted:

if it helps, WMR devices tend to be much cheaper ($200 or so iirc) and if your PC can play games decently there's a good chance it can play VR too

It was high-end when I bought it 6-ish years ago, and I've had no trouble playing the games I've wanted (Witcher 3, etc), so I've been eying an upgrade for a while, but want to push it until it's really necessary to get the most bang for my buck. I was trying to compare my specs against the recommended in the OP and from that I fear that my GTX 770 is starting to lag behind too much. I've never been much of a hardware geek, I just want it to run smoothly. It would be disappointing to get the VR setup only to find HL: Alyx running terribly.

(Also, does VR in general work out for nearsightedness? I assume there's no room for glasses inside, but if the screens are close to the eye I can't imagine that being an issue.)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Aeble posted:

It was high-end when I bought it 6-ish years ago, and I've had no trouble playing the games I've wanted (Witcher 3, etc), so I've been eying an upgrade for a while, but want to push it until it's really necessary to get the most bang for my buck. I was trying to compare my specs against the recommended in the OP and from that I fear that my GTX 770 is starting to lag behind too much. I've never been much of a hardware geek, I just want it to run smoothly. It would be disappointing to get the VR setup only to find HL: Alyx running terribly.

(Also, does VR in general work out for nearsightedness? I assume there's no room for glasses inside, but if the screens are close to the eye I can't imagine that being an issue.)

1: you need to be in the 1070/2070 range for VR, a 770 isn’t even remotely close to being acceptable. You’ll also need a CPU from recent time as well, a 4790k is probably the minspec cutoff.

2: glasses are fine in VR and are necessary if you need them to read anything 10 feet away as that is the focal distance of anything in VR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

rage-saq posted:

a 4790k is probably the minspec cutoff.

I can't imagine that's the min, I'm running a 4790k and a 1070 and turned Alyx up to very high and have had zero issues.

Regardless, thinking about upgrading the video card. Preferring nvidia, and assuming most any card in my price range (let's say $300-400) will generally excel at flat vidya games, anything I should be specifically considering for VR?

Although frankly, I'm considering just putting together a whole new rig. More ram, faster drives, better video card...there's some really nice stuff available now that wasn't when I built this computer. But admittedly, that desire is largely just motivated by the constant crave to have hot new tech. I have no specific complaints about the current build I'm running on.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 27, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the greatest thing about VR is how it can take a totally impossible fantasy world and make it seem so real.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Aeble posted:

The lenses for VR are focused to infinity, so you will need glasses. There are companies that sell prescription lenses that pop into the headsets

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.
Is anyone else having a problem with Alyx crashing? I tried rolling back my graphics drivers, re-updating my graphics drivers, re-seating my Link cable, and resetting my computer and Quest but I crash pretty reliably after about 5-10 minutes of playtime.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Have steam validate the files maybe? I’ve had zero crashes in my 10 hours of play time. Seems like every time I’ve had consistent crashes in a game that works for most everyone else, validating the local files uncovers something and fixes it.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Bad Munki posted:

I think the greatest thing about VR is how it can take a totally impossible fantasy world and make it seem so real.

You got that right. It might be a totally impossible fantasy to find TP in real life, but at least we can hoard it in VR

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Toilet paper rolls are the new cheese wheels

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sigher posted:

Straight up, Half-Life Alyx won't be getting my purchase unless it's on the platform I want it to be on.

You can pay Valve directly and they will support your headset, directly. This isn't true for Oculus/Facebook.
This isn't about platforms, it's about what hardware the platform supports. I have to rely on a third party modification to use the software I buy. We have to assume Facebook won't break Revive. If they do, because it is their right, then the software I bought is useless.

Tip posted:

Rift, Rift S, and Quest all have input feature parity when connected to a PC. And even if they didn't, supporting their own product lines is a completely separate beast from supporting every piece of VR hardware out there.

I don't see how having a separate mobile store with curated content designed for the Quest goes against any of what I said.

Anyways, I already said that I'm not a big fan of exclusivity. I was just giving an answer about the advantages of doing things that way.

So how doesn't an Index have feature parity if a Quest does when connected to a PC? That's why I brought it up. The suggestion that an Index is too much, but a Quest is OK from a strictly technical effort standpoint seems odd.

Zero VGS posted:

Blah blah, Oculus exclusives, Facebook privacy...

I don't think I've ever heard a peep out of this thread about Sony's exclusives (timed Tetris Effect, RE7 apparently forever, etc) and don't get me started on their privacy record.

That requires an entire Playstation 4 plus the PSVR headset as well. A far cry from some dude (or group of people?) that maintain Revive to allow exclusive PC VR software from Facebook to be played on non-Oculus headsets. If some people can do that on the side and it works, then technical limitations are not to be blamed for why Facebook exclusives it up. I get why exclusives but there isn't a group of people making it so you can play Xbone games on Nintendo Switches on PS4s.

The justification that they want to sell Oculus hardware makes sense. That they want to get the most people in their software ecosystem makes sense and using exclusives to leverage that is understandable. The justification that Facebook wants user data makes sense, but those ideas seemingly being at odds with each other is interesting to me. They conditionally allow Revive to continue to work is weird, and I just want to know how all that fits together from a business point of view. I don't care too much about missing out on good VR games like Lone Echo or Stormlands because I am not willing to rely on Revive. If Facebook did what Valve does and supported the hardware directly than I probably would buy the software. Probably, it's still Facebook after all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bad Munki posted:

I can't imagine that's the min, I'm running a 4790k and a 1070 and turned Alyx up to very high and have had zero issues.
Depends what you mean with zero issues. I have a 16-core Threadripper and a 2070S, with Alyx set to high "only". It does reproject frequently. That said, 120hz and 135% SS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

The justification that they want to sell Oculus hardware makes sense. That they want to get the most people in their software ecosystem makes sense and using exclusives to leverage that is understandable. The justification that Facebook wants user data makes sense, but those ideas seemingly being at odds with each other is interesting to me. They conditionally allow Revive to continue to work is weird, and I just want to know how all that fits together from a business point of view. I don't care too much about missing out on good VR games like Lone Echo or Stormlands because I am not willing to rely on Revive. If Facebook did what Valve does and supported the hardware directly than I probably would buy the software. Probably, it's still Facebook after all.

It's because you're only thinking short-term; Facebook knows full-well VR is A Thing. It's really slow-growth, but it's still very much A Thing now and they're getting in on the ground floor by burning a whole lot of money in the short-term so that as VR grows and expands into mainstream use they're right in there with the big enclosed ecosystem that (they hope) everyone will want to join because it has all the shiny bells and whistles. Having other company's hardware supported means they have to interact with those companies and probably share stuff in an API they don't want to. ReVive being unofficial means they get all of the benefits of other hardware getting into their ecosystem with none of the tradeoffs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Depends what you mean with zero issues.

Sure, that’s fair. To clarify, I don’t consider adjusting settings up or down to be “an issue.” Inconsistent performance like stutters or artifacts, I would consider to be an issue. I run at 90hz with the aforementioned settings, I forget what my SS is but I think it’s the default which is like 120%?

With that configuration, the performance has been very consistent, at least to my perception. Which may also be more forgiving than for others: I’m 40 so my eyes probably aren’t picking up changes as fast as someone half my age. It’s a consideration, for sure.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 27, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's because you're only thinking short-term; Facebook knows full-well VR is A Thing. It's really slow-growth, but it's still very much A Thing now and they're getting in on the ground floor by burning a whole lot of money in the short-term so that as VR grows and expands into mainstream use they're right in there with the big enclosed ecosystem that (they hope) everyone will want to join because it has all the shiny bells and whistles. Having other company's hardware supported means they have to interact with those companies and probably share stuff in an API they don't want to. ReVive being unofficial means they get all of the benefits of other hardware getting into their ecosystem with none of the tradeoffs.

They're starting to release support for OpenXR which is going to be the hardware agnostic API going forward, they're already at the point where they're going to be releasing a prototype version to devs soon https://developer.oculus.com/blog/prototype-openxr-for-oculus/

This'll more or less be the experiment where we see if they blowing smoke about support before. If they support OpenXR, then it won't matter what your hardware is (as long as your hardware supports OpenXR). It won't be available for stuff created in the past, though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

They're starting to release support for OpenXR which is going to be the hardware agnostic API going forward, they're already at the point where they're going to be releasing a prototype version to devs soon https://developer.oculus.com/blog/prototype-openxr-for-oculus/

This'll more or less be the experiment where we see if they blowing smoke about support before. If they support OpenXR, then it won't matter what your hardware is (as long as your hardware supports OpenXR). It won't be available for stuff created in the past, though

From what I've read on RoadtoVR, their general participation with OpenXR has apparently mostly been as a means to make it easier to get games ported onto THEIR hardware and ecosystem rather than something mutual. I'm certainly curious to see what actually comes of it though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From what I've read on RoadtoVR, their general participation with OpenXR has apparently mostly been as a means to make it easier to get games ported onto THEIR hardware and ecosystem rather than something mutual. I'm certainly curious to see what actually comes of it though.

I mean, yeah, it will, but that's because it will make it easier to get games to work with all hardware because you only need to develop against one API and it'll work for everything. You can't have it any other way. If they were more interested in walling off competitors' hardware they just wouldn't have participated, that goal is completely incompatible with a general open API

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Depends what you mean with zero issues. I have a 16-core Threadripper and a 2070S, with Alyx set to high "only". It does reproject frequently. That said, 120hz and 135% SS.

that bodes well for my 3700X/2070S at 80Hz and 100%, then! :haw:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More Oculus exclusives!

...wait it isn't a game this time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGiUl6JgFf8

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

having just got a free rift I can safely say oculus is extremely garbage compared to steamVR

luckily it is so poo poo it couldnt even accept my paypal details so i just bought everything through steam instead

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I always buy steamVR instead of Oculus if I'm given the chance. Never know what headset I'm gonna have next and I want as little as possible locked to a certain brand

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For a while I bought single player stuff on Oculus because I did not like Steam VR, but it's improved now and I always buy on Steam these days, unless of course it's like Lone Echo or something

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I will commend Oculus for having an amazing VR UI right out of the gate. I can't believe it took 4 years for Valve to make something halfway decent. I don't care about the SteamVR Home or the Oculus Home, all I care about is being able to hit the system button while playing a game and being able to see my desktop and doing what I need to do. Oculus is still ahead of the game though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SteamVR Advanced Settings is useful enough that I can't really go without it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, it's basically mandatory, especially to save Chaperone profiles. I have different profiles for guests, games where it's not needed at all, etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Inacio posted:

that bodes well for my 3700X/2070S at 80Hz and 100%, then! :haw:
Yeah, it's a 2950X, so you've an advantage architecture wise.

And the reprojection hides it well enough. It isn't even that much that happens.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I always buy steamVR instead of Oculus if I'm given the chance. Never know what headset I'm gonna have next and I want as little as possible locked to a certain brand

:hmmyes:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

For example? I don't use it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Accessibility mostly, it allows you to offset or even directly change your position and orientation. For games that don't have a seated option you can offset height by ~.5m and even bind a button to toggle it to "crouch". You can also add snap/smooth turning to any game, switch between different chaperone profiles (fade distance, visibility, colour, layout etc) as well as a few convenience options like access to media keys.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

You must have magic steamvr boundaries that never have floor issues or anything.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SCheeseman posted:

How come the advanced settings button disappears after you click it once? I can't figure out how to get back to it once it's been used :wtc:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

How come the advanced settings button disappears after you click it once? I can't figure out how to get back to it once it's been used :wtc:

I think you're running the old version, which is broken on more recent versions of SteamVR. Use this fork instead: https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SCheeseman posted:

I think you're running the old version, which is broken on more recent versions of SteamVR. Use this fork instead: https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

Thanks! I'll give this a shot.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Turin Turambar posted:

More Oculus exclusives!

...wait it isn't a game this time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGiUl6JgFf8

Looks like it requires Oculus TV which is a portable headset exclusive?

My Google-fu is failing me, is there any way to load Quest/Go stuff onto tethered headsets? Like some sort of ReVive thing except between Rift and Quest? I don't understand why there's even a walled garden inside a walled garden for something as simple as a media viewer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
No, they're Android operating systems

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Man what the heck. I ordered an index on the day-of release, but missed the initial boat, and it STILL says 8 weeks to ship. WHY NUMBER NO GO DOWN

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Kaedric posted:

Man what the heck. I ordered an index on the day-of release, but missed the initial boat, and it STILL says 8 weeks to ship. WHY NUMBER NO GO DOWN

Notice how it says ships after 8 weeks? That doesn't mean it ships in 8 weeks, it means it ships in some amount of time between 8 weeks and the heat death of the universe.

I ordered mine about fifteen minutes after they started and mine says, "Ships in 4-6 Weeks".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kaedric posted:

Lol I ordered Index Controllers Monday, charged my card yesterday, shipped today.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Tip posted:

Notice how it says ships after 8 weeks? That doesn't mean it ships in 8 weeks, it means it ships in some amount of time between 8 weeks and the heat death of the universe.

I ordered mine about fifteen minutes after they started and mine says, "Ships in 4-6 Weeks".

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you were wondering if Anton would do something Half-Life themed for this week's H3VR patch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXLzTwDo01U
Prepare to have all your hopes and dreams fulfilled :magical:.