Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
summation of trikes: MAKE UP YOUR loving MIND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

this horrifying monstrosity showed up in one of my fb buy groups:

that loving owns

Coydog posted:

I just keep thinking about bombing down fire roads on it, powerdrifting corners, waking up in the ICU.

yeuuup. They're a gently caress of a lot of fun, till they get tired of your poo poo and pitch you 10 meters.

Got some awesome scars from a Honda big red my dad had when I was young.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Why are they seen as so dangerous that bike manufacturers all but ceased making them? Is it the combination of 'prone to flip in untrained hands' and 'rear axle much heavier than a bike' that was just crushin' preteen hillbillies to death all over the place?

We had one at the summer camp I worked, as some sort of utility vehicle. I never saw our maintenance guy do anything on it but bomb around the property with zero cargo in tow. That place was sketchy as gently caress. They also had a John Deere 420 tractor, which we'd make tons of jokes about, and then get stoned and drive it around with the front bucket arms loaded with several 2ft-diameter logs.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

Why are they seen as so dangerous that bike manufacturers all but ceased making them? Is it the combination of 'prone to flip in untrained hands' and 'rear axle much heavier than a bike' that was just crushin' preteen hillbillies to death all over the place?

Mostly the stability thing. You can still gently caress yourself up plenty good with a 4-wheeled ATV, but they're less likely to flip.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fun fact: I pay road tax that is partially based on how statistically dangerous the vehicle is. Dirt bike accidents, MX injuries, and quad bike crushings are all counted as 'motorcycle accidents' and factored into registration costs despite nearly none of those vehicles being registered for the road. It is a very fair and logical system.

Any attempts to single out quads as their own class, or to make farmers wear helmets, is met with unholy screeching.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jazzzzz posted:

Mostly the stability thing. You can still gently caress yourself up plenty good with a 4-wheeled ATV, but they're less likely to flip.

On-road 4-wheeled ATVs are dangerous AF compared to most other motorized vehicles as well, offroad they're only slightly less so. High CG and high weight combined with the fact that most (US) states have basically zero regulation on who can ride them makes for fun times.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They aren’t hard to keep upright, go fast on, or ride normally.

They also aren't hard to flip over or ride like a complete maniac.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The real tragedy is that trike having a DRZ engine instead of something fast.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah, that would have been a waste of a good DR 650

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deeters posted:

The real tragedy is that trike having a DRZ engine instead of something fast.

They could have put a KTM motor in but they wanted to actually be able to ride it

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Applies to trikes too.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

2 wheels good

2+ wheels bad

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Trikes = bad unless it's old dudes who still want to ride but their legs are hosed up or something, and even then it's iffy

Sidecars get a pass

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

No, gently caress sidecars. They are unnatural

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Carth Dookie posted:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Carth Dookie posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Nah they rule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZOzT4F0DI

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sidecars rule but URALs are actually pretty terrible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sidecars rule but URALs are actually pretty terrible.

Humbly I disagree.

If you're far enough from civilisation, something that breaks constantly but can be fixed with a hammer is better than something that almost never breaks down but needs a workshop.

And yes I've worked on and ridden one, I know they're objectively terrible.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
With the 2WD aren't Urals conceptually an offset trike rather than a bike+sidecar?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This is unnatural. Cool. But unnatural.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I love these ones because they look like the hovering rocket racer things from Wipeout

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

urals rule. I am pissed coronavirus cancelled everything cause a motorcycle repair shop here in nashville was going to let people test ride urals and bring along their dogs in the sidecar lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What puts me off about Urals is that they've been produced for nearly 70 years with minor improvements, but still horrendously unreliable. At this point Chinese can probably just make a better copy and sell it for third of the price.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bout to head out on the SV

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've done this, in fact I think I know some of the people in this photo. I lost one hand grip on a rig at turn 9 in Loudon just enough to hit the asphalt and scrape the side of my visor before I pulled back up onto the chair. Some people think this is a crazy thing to do.

But this is psychotic, I don't understand how a human can choose to do this.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've done this, in fact I think I know some of the people in this photo. I lost one hand grip on a rig at turn 9 in Loudon just enough to hit the asphalt and scrape the side of my visor before I pulled back up onto the chair. Some people think this is a crazy thing to do.

But this is psychotic, I don't understand how a human can choose to do this.

In fairness, even the other sidecar racers are just staring.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Took some pictures of my Suzuki to try and sell it now that I've got the Aprilia, but I think I'm going to be SOL until the Roni blows over.

Buy my biek.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You won't be sol with those incredible pictures. Besides, everyone is going stir crazy and I'd desperate for outside activity. Any Moto desires are up to 11.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Actually, people desperate to sell are dropping prices on used cars and bikes. Nobody is buying anything in times of financial uncertainty. If you sitting on cash money, and want to buy something to resell later, now is the perfect time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You're selling a Bandit 1250 because you got an Aprilia? :raise:

You need something to ride when the Aprilia is down, no?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can't compete with Suzuki effortpics but I love my big goofy shark baby :3:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I can't tell if this before or after the accident

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You're selling a Bandit 1250 because you got an Aprilia? :raise:

You need something to ride when the Aprilia is down, no?

I only bought the Aprilia because I don't commute by motorbike these days so I'm a little more prepared to tolerate down time now. Plus if I get really antsy I can ride my dad's VTR1000f... Or I would except it's off the road because the ignition barrel is misbehaving and needs to be swapped out. The Suzuki may not be the most exciting bike I've ever owned, but I can't complain about its reliability.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

The Suzuki may not be the most exciting bike I've ever owned

Put a turbo on it

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm trying to sell it, not spend more money on it. I already dropped $300 on reupholstering the seat because the original had split in the corners and looked like rear end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think you'll find the rear end did the splitting.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm trying to sell it, not spend more money on it. I already dropped $300 on reupholstering the seat because the original had split in the corners and looked like rear end.

hopefully that was $250 for an air compressor + air stapler and $50 for the seat cover

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, what kind of seat is that? Marine grade vinyl, a stapler, and a bunch of T50 staples is like $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I didn't do it myself, hence the price tag. It has to be said, I'm pleased with the job they did.