Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Deaths take longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1243625924828041217?s=20

Guess we don't need ventilators after all!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

eric ciaramella posted:

why is there such a difference in the death rate between USA and Italy? i know italy is old, and testing is poo poo and all, but there's a big difference between 1.5% and ~10% death rates.

our ICU's aren't totally overwhelmed yet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Burn Zone posted:

is this like the three seashells?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/ComfortablySmug/status/1243593186741805057

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/lauraolson/status/1243631957604474880

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Bar Crow posted:

Unfortunately he’s also forcing medical device manufacturers to start making cars.

Your new SUV is $450,000, but we can guarantee it will never put an air bubble into your veins

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Morbus posted:

There is kind of a grey area between "infection completely cleared" and "suppressed to the point its not making me sick but can still be passed on". Flu, norovirus, most common colds, all remain contagious for often 1-2+ weeks after symptoms clear.

This should be common knowledge...but obviously any govt. that is willing to kill 3% of it's population for number go up isn't going to tell you to stay at home for 2 weeks after you've recovered from a flu.

:thunk:

Yeah it makes sense it would ramp up and ramp down like that and you only feel sick at the peak. I just always thought once you felt better it was gone. Welp!

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

how much do we have to be fudging the death numbers to have more cases than china but 1/3 of the deaths? or is it still too early

Death usually takes around two weeks, and during exponential growth, at least half the cases are at least as new as the doubling period (currently ~2.5 days). In fact the majority of cases haven't even reached the ~5 days to develop symptoms. When exponential growth stops (due to success of interventions or simple lack of hosts), deaths will start catching up like a goddamn freight train.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

how much do we have to be fudging the death numbers to have more cases than china but 1/3 of the deaths? or is it still too early

It's early and we're still reluctant to test. People who die untested don't count toward the number. Also, if some other condition is the direct cause of death, it doesn't count toward the number.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Admiral Ray posted:

our ICU's aren't totally overwhelmed yet

also our doctors and nurses haven't started getting it in large numbers yet

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/charlesornstein/status/1243633007577182208

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

a god drat idiot posted:

There is a three week lag between infection and death. You won't be tested immediately so say 2 weeks from positive ID to the end.

is that really true?

seems like most of the bad cases i've read about, including deaths, developed symptoms and then ended up at the hospital within a week or less.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

it's also why surf and turf became a thing, since steak and lobster were just the two most expensive things you could order and buying them together became a show of extravagant wealth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut6MSMqxmlE

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

totally under control

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Thesaurus posted:

Otoh itll be good not to die in a conflagration while literally everyone is home and simultaneously cooking on their stoves and ovens.

Being home this much reminded me to get new batteries for my smoke detector and CO detector.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eric ciaramella posted:

why is there such a difference in the death rate between USA and Italy? i know italy is old, and testing is poo poo and all, but there's a big difference between 1.5% and ~10% death rates.

Give it 7-10 days.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Rah! posted:

is that really true?

seems like most of the bad cases i've read about, including deaths, developed symptoms and then ended up at the hospital within a week or less.

Yes, it takes weeks:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

quote:

Using available preliminary data, the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks and is3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease. Preliminary data suggests that the time period from onset to the development ofsevere disease, including hypoxia,is 1 week. Among patients who have died, the time from symptom onset to outcome ranges from2-8 weeks.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Easter is going to get biblical

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

someone was asking a few days ago if there were still minimum income requirements to get those checks. Yep!

“(2) TAXPAYER DESCRIBED.—A taxpayer is described in this paragraph if the taxpayer—

“(A) has qualifying income of at least $2,500, or

“(B) has—

“(i) net income tax liability which is greater than zero, and

“(ii) gross income which is greater than the basic standard deduction.

[...]

e) Definitions.—For purposes of this section—

“(1) QUALIFYING INCOME.—The term ‘qualifying income’ means—

“(A) earned income,

“(B) social security benefits (within the meaning of section 86(d)), and

“(C) any compensation or pension received under chapter 11, chapter 13, or chapter 15 of title 38, United States Code.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eric ciaramella posted:

the US is massively undercounting deaths

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

a Congress critter is going to die soon it is just a matter of which one plz be Rand

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Being home this much reminded me to get new batteries for my smoke detector and CO detector.

a week ago my smoke detector starting beeping but i couldnt get it off the wall so i ignored it, if it tries that again im going to go buck wild and just generally berserk

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

greatest dem hoax in history

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

eric ciaramella posted:

USA isn't testing dead bodies, literally cancelling ordered tests once they die. Number can't go up if you don't check for it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

this seems...not smart

https://twitter.com/SharonannMSF/status/1243633828742168578

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Inceltown posted:

USA isn't testing dead bodies, literally cancelling ordered tests once they die. Number can't go up if you don't check for it.

there's also some "sure, he had COVID, but what if something else killed him?"" shenanigans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/1243630029436784646

trump is shook.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I caught Influenza A and am quarantined from work.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

the US is massively undercounting deaths

Yep! they aren't testing presumptive cases who die before testing is done. So people who go in really sick directly on a ventilator, probably not tested. Dead in your bed? Not tested.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Public-Private Partnership!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

also because this is america there's a bunch of dead people who didn't go to the hospital because it would financially ruin them, and we won't find their bodies for weeks/months :)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yep! they aren't testing presumptive cases who die before testing is done. So people who go in really sick directly on a ventilator, probably not tested. Dead in your bed? Not tested.

this isn't necessarily some conspiracy poo poo, at this point anyway, it's because we're still drastically short on tests so we need to save them for living people rather than classifying the dead

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Reminder that we generally think there are probably as many as a million cases of COVID in the US right now. Testing is mostly about our expanding capability to test

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

brugroffil posted:

this isn't necessarily some conspiracy poo poo, at this point anyway, it's because we're still drastically short on tests so we need to save them for living people rather than classifying the dead

As far as I understand it, Italy allows for pretty liberal classification of Coronavirus deaths even without testing.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
well this is stressful

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

D1E posted:

Public-Private Partnership!

Where are our Wal-Mart drive thru testing centers? Where is our Google site?

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Woah Tmurp invoked the piss act. See you in hell

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Inceltown posted:

is anyone counting "deaths from respiratory failure"?

or just "deaths that are not expected given the average death rate this time of year"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lambert posted:

As far as I understand it, Italy allows for pretty liberal classification of Coronavirus deaths even without testing.

Some places are definitely allowing for symptom diagnosis by a doctor, whatever the technical term for that is, rather than an actual COVID test for sure. I *think* some places in the US are allowing that?? Maybe not idk.