Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

No, see, the entire industry coming to a halt because of an unprecedented worldwide crisis means the frog guy was right the whole time about girls writing comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

What's "Down goes G Willow" supposed to mean? She's takes over DC's Sandman in a month.

Wilson got an email she called 'pencils down' that basically meant to halt working on her stuff. Uncle Ethan has taken this to mean, logically, WAHOO IN YOUR FACE ESS JAY DUBS THBPPPPT.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Why not just...keep making comic books...and release them digitally...?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

A bunch of people won't make the switch to digital and another bunch of people just lost their job so even if they would have made the switch they're probably cutting their expenses and comic books are a bit of a luxury expense. You have a lot of people with a poo poo ton of free time but not a lot of discretionary spending, 3 comics costs the same as a month of Netflix.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

A bunch of people won't make the switch to digital and another bunch of people just lost their job so even if they would have made the switch they're probably cutting their expenses and comic books are a bit of a luxury expense. You have a lot of people with a poo poo ton of free time but not a lot of discretionary spending, 3 comics costs the same as a month of Netflix.

So instead every freelancer gets to be out of a job too

cool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

So instead every freelancer gets to be out of a job too

cool

I'm not saying it's good or anything, just that I understand the reason it's happening. Disney and Warner should be stepping up and providing for the creators who wrote the stories they turned into billion dollar films, and they aren't and it loving sucks.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Blockhouse posted:

Releasing titles digitally would probably be the same as saying that those titles won't come out in print. Keeping a comicbook store alive was tough even before the pandemic, I am not sure how many would survive if Marvel and DC went digital only, and I don't think those publishers could survive if most of the comic shops closed. The whole system is a big mess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

FWIW she didn't say specifically who called her to stop doing work for them. Notably, she has a book from Dark Horse, whoh as said they won't be doing digital releases starting next week until physical releases return, and previously they said they were going to cut their line some, so I'm betting it's them. Marvel says they are "working on a plan," but have also told Diamond they won't bill them for upcoming releases. Both they and DC (BC link) contacted freelancers and said it's business as usual for the time being (though obviously the office editorial staff will be working from home). Archie says they're releasing at least some of their line in digitally and in print, but postponing other books. I can't find anything about Image one way or the other.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
may not exactly fit here but it feels scummy enough for it

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/status/1243543693619011584

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/couchdoodles/status/1243590306953596928?s=20

Ethan Van Sciver loves Joseph McCarthy though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
who is that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPefOfu2TIU&t=15s

Also the whole thing is nonsensical. "I'm part of comicsgate because after I became comicsgate people shunned me," why did you join in the first place, before anyone was shunning you?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 27, 2020

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

site posted:

who is that

Dan Fraga. Created the comic book Black Flagg and directed some Ricky Gervais things.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

E the Shaggy posted:

directed some Ricky Gervais things.

And he's comicsgate?!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[leans over and whispers to my friend in the dark of the theater] that's comicsgate

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

E the Shaggy posted:

Dan Fraga. Created the comic book Black Flagg and directed some Ricky Gervais things.

oh no how bad oh nooooo :geno:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Why do so many of these dipshits have to film their manifestos from their cars?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A middle-aged white man has never faced bigotry? Well, I never.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Why do so many of these dipshits have to film their manifestos from their cars?

It's a difficult to identify spot with an enclosed interior, natural lighting, and makes them feel powerful behind the wheel of a vehicle. It removes the possibility of criticism from other people in the house, is relatively private, and if anyone comes calling for their unpaid bills they're already in their getaway vehicle.

In short, it's their safe space.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That's so much better than what I had which is just "you don't have to gently caress with lightning in a full sunlit front seat".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Plus, they have a lot of practice yelling (in agreement or in rage) at talk radio in their car during their long commutes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It should be noted that CG is hilariously low-tech, too. EVS streamed something making fun of... I dunno, KickVic or some group and did it by having his webcam point at him while he used his table to look at the stream.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1244330777552142341

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty rich that the CGers almost uniformly point to the artistic peak of the medium as... the early Nineties, when comics sales were largely inflated by the speculation market and the resultant crash is directly responsible for there being only a few thousand comic stores nationwide.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's pretty rich that the CGers almost uniformly point to the artistic peak of the medium as... the early Nineties, when comics sales were largely inflated by the speculation market and the resultant crash is directly responsible for there being only a few thousand comic stores nationwide.

The idea is that they don't see it as an artistic nadir that led to a speculator's boom and the resulting crash. They see it as the time when comics made the most money off of being comics. That is their entire criteria for success: How much money did you make?

They also have completely missed that the crash was American only. In other countries, comics remain a viable form of media for many different genres, age groups, and audiences.

Here in America, Dr. Fredric Wertham's "Seduction of the Innocent" was one of the main proponents of strangling the medium for literally decades. The damage is still obvious and widespread, and probably won't heal for another half century at least. Yet what CG and the like want isn't a return to the pre-censorship era of comics, where the medium was actually exploring different genres in America; they want a return to the stifled, tone deaf, neutered era where the only viable stories were good versus evil, where the protagonist was a hero who had to fight a villain.

Of course, they want the 90s nadir back too, but even those 90s comics could explore political and ethical themes beyond the norm. CG is basically the definition of that which they claim to hate: Censorship champions, who want to stamp out anything interesting or that goes against their common views. Stories that explore hard issues are scary.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You are way overthinking this. They hold the 90s as the hey day because they were teenage kids/young adults in the 90s and that was their peak reading experience. They look back with rose coloured glasses and do what any person does with media; they say "it isn't as good as it was when I was younger".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Actually you're both wrong. They just want to make the world worse for minorities and women and are using weird arguments about comics as the means to that end. And some of them just want to grift people, but are willing to pitch into the hate mob to do it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

All of this is true. There are absolutely middle-aged guys who equate their lost youth with reading 90s comics and are willing to grift others based on nostalgia plus their unexamined bigotry to achieve the specter of their teenage dream of creating comics or somehow being in the industry, because it’s the closest thing to a personality they have.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm more addressing why they hold the 90s as some kind of golden age, the last time comics were good. I agree completely that their end goal is to marginalize women and other minorities and make comics a toxic swamp. It's just that their jumping in point to refer back to is the 90s (while totally ignoring all the minorities and women who were making comics back then)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Jim Lee passionate about his characters and stories? I dunno dude, I read that initial run of WildC.A.T.S.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Maxwell Lord posted:

Maybe a question for a better thread (or for me to research) but is there a resource for "how many comic shops have there been in the United States in a given year"?

I want to preface this with the fact that I love comic shops, I love bookstores, I love(d) record stores and video rental stores and etc. I spent my adolescence and young adulthood working in them, I am still friends with people who own them. But I question just how many stores is ultimately 'healthy' for the industry?

It's a complicated question, but anecdotally my midwestern childhood hometown (population 100-200,000 depending on how you count the surrounding suburbs) went from having 1-2 comic shops in the late 1980s when I started buying comics to 6-8 in the mid 1990s back to (according to Google Maps) 2 today. We also went through periods where we had over half a dozen baseball card stores in my youth, and at least a dozen video rental stores. Literally zero of these types of stores existed in the 1970s (at least in this town) and in 2020 only the comic shops have survived.

I know I'm mixing apples and oranges here -- baseball cards are a weird thing that I'm kind of amazed continue to be produced, television/film/visual art is something that existed long before video rental stores and has persisted long after pretty much all of them have closed -- but my point is more that linking the health of the medium of comic books to a niche specialty store that can only purchase merchandise from a single effective monopoly feels weird to me, and I was honestly surprised when you said "only a few thousand stores nationwide", because while it's an accurate number it sounded like a lot of stores to me.

Also I know that "the 1990s" is very much shorthand for something in comics, but I feel like a friendly reminder that the comics industry of the 1990s produced a ton of great comics too, I am scanning a bunch of photos while in quarantine and came across these two photos of one of the shops I frequented in the mid 1990s:

I was lucky enough to have access to a store like this (and also lucky enough to either look older than 14 or have someone who was kidding about their posted policy on selling "Mature Readers" books to underage kids) and probably ended up buying 80% of the comics in these photos. I know this is technically post-"Boom" and sort of mid-"Bust" but a lot of the titles there were starting at the same time (or before) the collective memory of comics is dominated by Deathmate and Bloodstrike and Bloodmate and Deathstrike. Most of these books have endured and can be read in handsome reprints, in libraries across the country, on Comixology, etc. Which is more than you can say for Deathmate, and not that anyone in this thread needs convincing but that's a good thing. And it also came out of the 1990s.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 30, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hell yes, Milk & Cheese.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

All of this is true. There are absolutely middle-aged guys who equate their lost youth with reading 90s comics and are willing to grift others based on nostalgia plus their unexamined bigotry to achieve the specter of their teenage dream of creating comics or somehow being in the industry, because it’s the closest thing to a personality they have.

There's also something to be said here about how desperate so many of them seem to be to be seen as creators, and how jealous they are of anyone from a perceived outgroup who's ended up with a deal at Marvel or DC.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"a man but Asian"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s a good store.

Also the 90s were good actually, but not for the reason comicgate weirdos think.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
90's had stuff like Vertigo going full steam. Unfortunately for 12 year old me I was more interested in blood and tits than Vertigo stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Madkal posted:

90's had stuff like Vertigo going full steam. Unfortunately for 12 year old me I was more interested in blood and tits than Vertigo stuff.

Vertigo had all the blood and tits.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Yes, but big words too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Yes, but big words too.

And lesbians!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

But there were so many words! How could you concentrate on the blood and tits when all those words were in the way? They didn't even have cool cyborg mercenaries with big guns to look at while you waited for the blood and tits to show up! You might as well go right to the source and get a comic without things like "story" or "characterization" getting in the way.