Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Getting people to tell me the IP the VPN spits at them to help them troubleshoot issues adds like 30 minutes to each ticket that involves remote control.

"Can you press the windows key and then the R key at the same time?"
"It's the key at the bottom left of the keyboard between Ctrl and Alt that looks like the Windows logo"
"Alright now do you see a little run box in the lower left corner of the screen?"
"Clear any text in there and type c, m, d, that's Charlie Mary David then hit enter"
"Did a black box show up?"
"Alright, now type into that box ipconfig, that's i, p as in Peter, config, one word, and hit enter"
"Did it just spit out a bunch of information?"
"Alright now you may need to scroll up for this, look for (adapter name)"
"Alright under that look for a line that says IPv4 address"
"Cool, to the right of that line, there's some numbers, separated by periods, can you let me know what those are?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Doesn't the VPN have a separate IP address? So you might need to clarify which one.

Genuine question, I've never run ipconfig while on VPN.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klosterdev posted:

"It's the key at the bottom left of the keyboard between Ctrl and Alt that looks like the Windows logo"
"Alright now do you see a little run box in the lower left corner of the screen?"
"Clear any text in there and type c, m, d, that's Charlie Mary David then hit enter"
"Alright, now type into that box ipconfig, that's i, p as in Peter, config, one word, and hit enter"
"Cool, to the right of that line, there's some numbers, separated by periods, can you let me know what those are?"

You just triggered me.

I had that poo poo down to a science when I was working tier 1 for an ISP 10 years ago. However, I was screwed two times if the user was on a Mac.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Don't do much of the network config, but is a virtual adapter on Forticlient
Can't actually verify rn what with bunch of stuff still down but I'd imagine its IP should be there, they do all get unique IP addresses on a dedicated VPN subnet

Edit

quote:

However, I was screwed two times if the user was on a Mac.

run ifconfig?

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 27, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Doesn't the VPN have a separate IP address? So you might need to clarify which one.

Genuine question, I've never run ipconfig while on VPN.

Your guess is correct, the vpn client creates another adapter with its own up address and will show up separately in ipconfig/ifconfig

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
nah

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 2, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Any windows janitor has made that error in some form or fashion. It’s just easy to do.

Take heart that wasn’t the real issue you were fired, it was just the excuse.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

klosterdev posted:

Been helping out doing calls for other teams because my queue only had two in it and theirs had 300 and had this exact conversation yesterday.

It was extra fun trying to help her because the chucklefucks at the third party we use for certain stuff, who set up the Always On VPN, didn't add the VPN device subnet to the split tunnelled profile. or for devices to register with DNS. so I couldn't remote control her while also being on the VPN :downs:

Whatever, she said she'd bake me a cake when everything is back to normal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

This is one thing where I am super thankful for Meraki right now. All my vpn clients show up in a searchable client list so I just type in their username and have their ip.

I never thought I'd hear someone say they are grateful that their client VPN is Meraki

LiterallyAnything posted:

Here's a story about how I almost got myself fired today.

That's a gently caress up that you learn from and not one that you should get you fired, imo. I'm interested to know what service is hitting a server directly though to the point it can lock accounts out.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 28, 2020

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

I never thought I'd hear someone say they are grateful that their client VPN is Meraki

Right? When we went all-Meraki four years or so ago the client VPN situation was not one we'd done enough research on (well, I had, but my boss basically overrode my objections), and it's just...miserable. Even with CMAK or whatever it is, it's just a stupid and not easily manageable setup for wide distribution.

Went with OpenVPN commercial on top of Meraki, and are reasonably happy with it (plus it does 2FA which is nice). And yeah I know it's easy enough to roll the community version without paying them $10/user/year, but it's really not that much and they sand off all the rough edges so I can just spin poo poo up quickly, which is more important to me - who has the time to gently caress around with config files. (Also I suppose we get support, although we've never needed it).

Also as far as seeing IPs the OpenVPN web console is quite serviceable and you can easily find the info about connected machines.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Don’t get me wrong, I am really only talking about the single pane of glass client view being nice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rick posted:

For Microsoft Teams audio conferencing, do you need an audio conferencing license for anyone but the host?

Nope, just for whoever created the meeting.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around licensing as well.

$4 for a conference license.
$8 for "phone system" license
$12 for a calling plan

But apparently all you actually need is the $4 conference license? That is unless you're going to blow through your minutes allotment, then you'll probably have to buy a calling plan. I'm still not sure what the point of a $8 phone system license is if you can just buy the $4 conference license and have a phone number...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

$12 for a calling plan

But apparently all you actually need is the $4 conference license? That is unless you're going to blow through your minutes allotment, then you'll probably have to buy a calling plan. I'm still not sure what the point of a $8 phone system license is if you can just buy the $4 conference license and have a phone number...

Conference Calling - this gets you a pstn conference bridge for your meetings, you can also provision a local dial in number at no extra cost. You can provision a toll free number that is billed per minute using communication credits. This also lets you call out from a meeting.

Phone System - enables phone options for teams/Skype, by default only lets you call other teams users. Need to add a calling plan or set up direct route to call outside.

Calling plan - if you aren’t using direct route let’s you make and receive phone calls with teams/Skype comes in unlimited/international/time block flavors

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren: Ausgoons:siren:

Audio Technica's giving away a shitload of FREE AT99 Microphones at the moment to help people work from home.

You have to sign up for their mailing list, but you get a choice of three models;

• AT9947CM – Mono Shotgun Microphone.
  • AT9903 – Mono Mini Electret Condenser Lapel Mic.
  • AT9920 – Stereo Condenser Mnii Boundary Microphone.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

Don’t get me wrong, I am really only talking about the single pane of glass client view being nice.

Our networking solution is Meraki, and I don't hate it. I also do not have the bandwidth to manage all these sites, so the single pane of glass is great. Also, our Cisco vASA is in the East while all our offices are in the West, so anyone wanting to use VPN uses Meraki and it's fine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Fool posted:

Conference Calling - this gets you a pstn conference bridge for your meetings, you can also provision a local dial in number at no extra cost. You can provision a toll free number that is billed per minute using communication credits. This also lets you call out from a meeting.

Phone System - enables phone options for teams/Skype, by default only lets you call other teams users. Need to add a calling plan or set up direct route to call outside.

Calling plan - if you aren’t using direct route let’s you make and receive phone calls with teams/Skype comes in unlimited/international/time block flavors

Yeah but if you have the conference calling option for a user, then whats the point of having a phone system option?
Cant people just call the bridge instead or can't the bridge just call other users?

I feel like I'm missing something.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah but if you have the conference calling option for a user, then whats the point of having a phone system option?
Cant people just call the bridge instead or can't the bridge just call other users?

I feel like I'm missing something.

You have to create a meeting for the number to work, the meetings all have unique id’s that the caller has to enter in order to join. There is also a significant ui hurdle for the average user to make outgoing calls from a meeting.

I mean, you can technically do it, but it’d be a lovely experience both for calling in and calling out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

$12 for a calling plan

Yeah going down this rabbit hole today confused the heck out of me. In the end it doesn't seem like the conference add-on was available to us because we're on non-profit pricing, so we had to pay for an E5 license (although it's really hard to complain when all the other users are cost $0.00 per month).

The Fool posted:

Ah . . . this makes sense.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
The calling out from a meeting feature is limited by your PSTN minutes as well. You get 60 minutes a month per Audio Conference licensed person. That’s not per license you own, it has to be assigned to someone for the minutes to be added to your pool.

There’s also a feature where you can have the meeting call you when you join if you’re joining the audio from a phone instead of the Teams app. We trained our people to do that because it’s easier than dialing manually. But that was when Microsoft was giving everyone unlimited minutes. Since they ended unlimited minutes we’ve found that this uses up the PSTN minutes. We usually run out of minutes half way through the month now because of that feature.

The department doesn’t want to buy extra minutes and I was overruled on disabling that call me feature. So now mid month we get a few people that put tickets in because “Teams is broken”.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Fool posted:

You have to create a meeting for the number to work, the meetings all have unique id’s that the caller has to enter in order to join. There is also a significant ui hurdle for the average user to make outgoing calls from a meeting.

I mean, you can technically do it, but it’d be a lovely experience both for calling in and calling out.

Okay so it is what I thought then.
So it does work as expected for a conference bridge, but forwarding calls from our pbx to an open skype conference is not really an option for obvious reasons.

Thanks for y'all help with figuring this out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We don't even tell people it's possible to get the meeting room to call them, if they aren't equipped with a headset or speakerphone for their computer then they can dial the number on the invite.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Why the hell do we funnel all of our VPN traffic over a single 100/20MB connection? :psyduck:
Literally everyone is WFH right now. We have 2 other Gigabit connections we could use.
Thank god for Chrome remote desktop I suppose...

J
Jun 10, 2001

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Normally mondays are a total poo poo show. Today it is eerily quiet. People are online, but chat is at a minimum. Maybe I just ruined it. :ohdear:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

J posted:

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Normally mondays are a total poo poo show. Today it is eerily quiet. People are online, but chat is at a minimum. Maybe I just ruined it. :ohdear:

You did. The Gods of Comedic Timing respond to their 2nd most holy prayer* "sure is quiet today" with swift and merciless action.

* - the 1st most holy prayer is "at least it's not raining"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why the hell do we funnel all of our VPN traffic over a single 100/20MB connection? :psyduck:
Literally everyone is WFH right now. We have 2 other Gigabit connections we could use.
Thank god for Chrome remote desktop I suppose...

Full tunnels, ugh

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Full tunnels, ugh

BUT MUH DATA...DLP DLP DLP!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

J posted:

I swear if I get a million emails in the next hour I'm coming after you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Full tunnels, ugh

Yup, our VPN is barely handling poo poo right now because higher ups insist that full tunnel is the only way to go. Sigh.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Clear IPs, full tunnels, cant lose

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, our VPN is barely handling poo poo right now because higher ups insist that full tunnel is the only way to go. Sigh.

I am living this hell too. poo poo sucks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

but then people will have to remember their password and not auto-login due to IP whitelisting and that's just not possible

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Microsoft clown car naming department has gotten bored already

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

that's a joke, right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nope. It's cool that they've reused 'Business Premium' on a more expensive product so everybody gets confused and spends more than they need to.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Microsoft what the gently caress.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Some forced IT update burned out one of my displayports and now I'm a screen short lol.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Full tunnels, ugh

Oh my god I would love to know how much of that traffic is facebook.

brb checking web filter logs...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There is already a Microsoft 365 product.

It's the licence roll-up of O365, EMS and Windows.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thanks Ants posted:

The Microsoft clown car naming department has gotten bored already

Not sure why they're wasting time with this when it's obvious they're going to have to eventually rename it it include either "Surface" or "X" in the title somewhere down the line, per company policy.

Also, why aren't "for business" and "for enterprise" capitalized when everything else is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh my god I would love to know how much of that traffic is facebook.

brb checking web filter logs...

Or YouTube.