Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

wooger posted:

Yup, it works great. Just needs integrating into an app somehow to make it accessible for use on a phone before getting on a flight or something.

Yeah, that's fair. I use NewPipe for that.

Really, the thing that gets me with Youtube Red/Music is how it talks about background listening as a reason for the fee. It's such a basic feature, what a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wooger posted:

If it was the case that my subscription bucks would *only* go to ok those channels I subscribe to, that would be a start, but I suspect that as with Spotify, subscription funds are instead being used to subsidise payments to the most popular teen pop starlets / minecraft streamers rather than only going to artists I listen to.

Youtube premium directly pays people based on videos you watch. It's not subsidizing teen starlets and minecrafters if you don't watch them, but it does subsidize google's karate kid reboots, tv shows, and google itself. They keep 45% of the money.

If you watch youtube as your main form of video consumption are watching lots of stuff all the time I could see it being an ok way to generally support creators, plus have ad-free viewing without guilt. But if you have a half-dozen favorites take the $12 and give $2 to each of their patreons.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
YouTube Premium used to come bundled w/ Google Play Music (and for $10/month). If you used Google Music instead of something like Spotify, that made it a good deal. Does it not anymore for new subscribers (looks like it only mentions YouTube Music, which isn't the same as Google's full music streaming platform)?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ola posted:

Same as Red, more or less. They changed some stuff and rebranded. http://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/05/youtube-red-vs-premium-vs-music.html

YouTube downloads is pretty interesting. I've used some unofficial services to rip youtubes before, for train travel in particular, and the plugins are probably shifty as hell.

You used to be able to download videos you wanted to watch to your device while on wifi, to watch later w/o burning cell data, but it got taken away when they realized they could use it to charge money.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Kheldarn posted:

YouTube Premium is YouTube Red rebranded and with YouTube Music as a seperate subscription service because Google.

YouTube Premium includes YouTube Music, but you can also just get YouTube Music.

Also, Premium is worth it. YT Music is pretty bad compared to Spotify, the playlists especially are mostly garbage because they're mostly pulled from regular YouTube. But the overall package is worth it.

And "Creators" :barf: do get paid with Premium.

Splinter posted:

YouTube Premium used to come bundled w/ Google Play Music (and for $10/month). If you used Google Music instead of something like Spotify, that made it a good deal. Does it not anymore for new subscribers (looks like it only mentions YouTube Music, which isn't the same as Google's full music streaming platform)?

It still does come with it, but Google Play Music is being phased out in favor of YT Music - which is why they're not advertising it. YouTube Music is Google's new full music streaming platform.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 27, 2020

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Lambert posted:

YouTube Premium includes YouTube Music, but you can also just get YouTube Music.

Also, Premium is worth it. YT Music is pretty bad compared to Spotify, the playlists especially are mostly garbage because they're mostly pulled from regular YouTube. But the overall package is worth it.

And "Creators" :barf: do get paid with Premium.

It still does come with it, but Google Play Music is being phased out in favor of YT Music - which is why they're not advertising it. YouTube Music is Google's new full music streaming platform.

Agreed. YouTube Premium is great. If you watch YouTube on a streaming box (I have an NVIDIA Shield, and we watch YouTube all the time - lots of music video stations), it's almost mandatory to avoid the ads. I'm a long-time user of Google Play Music, too, and am waiting for Google to transition all my playlists and library over to YouTube Music. It was supposed to happen last year, but the deadline keeps slipping.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Fangs404 posted:

I'm a long-time user of Google Play Music, too, and am waiting for Google to transition all my playlists and library over to YouTube Music. It was supposed to happen last year, but the deadline keeps slipping.

I think first they have to introduce a third music streaming service.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lambert posted:

They’re clearly establishing that YouTube premium on its own has a nominal value of 2$ a month, but refusing to actually let people pay for it.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Fangs404 posted:

Agreed. YouTube Premium is great. If you watch YouTube on a streaming box
Most of my YouTube watching is on my iPad. Maybe it's just my territory, but I have not seen an ad that is not skippable after 5 seconds. Sometimes there are two adverts, but it's rare. Are there places where they force you to watch the full ad? I guess the background playing would be useful in some cases. I don't suppose Picture-in-Picture is available either?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I like listening to YT videos while on the go or when going to sleep. Being able to listen without any annoying interruptions and with the screen off is valuable.

Also, can't wait to get into the Gmail Music beta!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lambert posted:

I like listening to YT videos while on the go or when going to sleep. Being able to listen without any annoying interruptions and with the screen off is valuable.

Also, can't wait to get into the Gmail Music beta!

youtube-dl can rip to a sound file. I did it for lullaby stuff for my kid when she was a baby and I didn't want a screen involved. Granted, this is probably not a solution for streaming.

Speaking of which (and yes this is going off topic) I've used the old Streamripper program to rip days' worth of the equally ancient Sleepbot stream for sleep purposes.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is anyone able to get the icloud bookmarks addon working?

I can install it via AMO, but Windows icloud doesn't seem to think it's installed. Damndest thing is I got it installed on my laptop forever ago and it works correctly, but god knows when/how that happened.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kerbtree posted:

Is anyone able to get the icloud bookmarks addon working?

I can install it via AMO, but Windows icloud doesn't seem to think it's installed. Damndest thing is I got it installed on my laptop forever ago and it works correctly, but god knows when/how that happened.

Did you install it via a download from Apple, or via the windows App Store? I recall there being significant differences between the two versions in terms of what they can do / how they behave, and would place money on this being related if you’re using the App Store version.

Due to sandboxing.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

wooger posted:

Did you install it via a download from Apple, or via the windows App Store? I recall there being significant differences between the two versions in terms of what they can do / how they behave, and would place money on this being related if you’re using the App Store version.

Due to sandboxing.

That’s the weird thing - they’re both standard installs from web, I’ve tried all the obvious stuff like making sure there’s no extra profiles to confuse iCloud. Last night I was trawling the registry to see if I could find where the settings are.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In case you've been wondering about WebAssembly being used to play C/C++ code in Firefox, you can read this blog entry to learn more about how it's done.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Most of my YouTube watching is on my iPad. Maybe it's just my territory, but I have not seen an ad that is not skippable after 5 seconds. Sometimes there are two adverts, but it's rare. Are there places where they force you to watch the full ad? I guess the background playing would be useful in some cases. I don't suppose Picture-in-Picture is available either?

They're all skippable, but that requires interaction. I throw up YouTube music videos on my nvidia shield while I'm working at home, cleaning, cooking, and throwing parties. I don't wanna have to deal with ads during any of those. I guess I'm just a brat haha.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

isndl posted:

Middle clicking the new tab button opens it next to your current tab in case you weren't aware, though it's a little more convenient to simply left click the button.

I just accidentally discovered this today. Anyone happen to know offhand if there is a keyboard shortcut with the same functionality? I browsed their FAQs but didn't see anything.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

astral posted:

I just accidentally discovered this today. Anyone happen to know offhand if there is a keyboard shortcut with the same functionality? I browsed their FAQs but didn't see anything.

Ctrl-leftclick

Edit: I guess that's not much help if you're looking for a purely keyboard option. Disregard!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I come from the future! Here, you will need these.
code:
browser.urlbar.update1; set to False
browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus; set to False

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

code:

Would you care to elaborate?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Sorry I must go back, I altered to much already...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Im_Special posted:

code:

astral posted:

Would you care to elaborate?
It seems Im_Special is playing coy about this upcoming removal of the down-arrow button in the address bar starting with Firefox 74: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1279774

The suggested fix seems to be to go into about :config and set both browser.urlbar.update1 and browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus to False. I'm on Firefox Developer Edition 75 and now notice that button missing, but when I click the address bar I still get the dropdown so I'm not sure what the problem is.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Yuck; I don't mind them taking away the arrow because I never used it, but automatically popping that menu up before I even type anything is obnoxious.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
These loving idiots are spending time remaking the loving bar again?

Fire the ipad ~DESIGNER~ children and hire some loving devs.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
This will surely get the market share back...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But on the other hand, I just updated Firefox and nothing broke.

I consider this a victory.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:eng99:
I literally just broke company protocol and installed Firefox on my work computer yesterday, to get away from Chrome's terrible UX and now it's going to follow me anyway.

Thanks for preemptively posting the solution, Im_Special!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Geemer posted:

:eng99:
I literally just broke company protocol and installed Firefox on my work computer yesterday, to get away from Chrome's terrible UX and now it's going to follow me anyway.

Thanks for preemptively posting the solution, Im_Special!

Some number of people at Mozilla have to have been on Googles payroll ever since Google half-took over years ago.

That was when all the "accidental dumb decisions" started and the market share flipped.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Rolling everything into one giant blob of context-sensitive behavior does not make the address bar awesome, Mozilla. The dropdown arrow doesn't show up unless you're mousing over the bar, you don't even have the thin excuse of reducing visual clutter this time. If anything the clutter is worse when I click to copy the URL and a third of my screen is now old tabs. :smith:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Random UI changes for the worse seems like a good idea now that Edge started to overtake FF in worldwide usage stats :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Sorry I must go back, I altered to much already...
Thank you for time traveling, friend. I hadn't managed to locate the second OID, and it was bothering me so much.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I must have fixed mine when they rolled out some other annoying change to the rear end-some bar, because those config changes were already set.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One thing I do like about Firefox 75 is how even on my 10 year old laptop it's become so fast, with all of the additions that Mozilla have been putting in as a result of the switch away from XUL, that if I click the Open Updated Threads from SALR:Redux it still does the whole animation and loading of pages without lagging.
And that's without any of the compile-time options for improving the speed of Firefox that're enabled in the official builds, like link-time optimization and everything else enabled that comes with --enable-optimize.

So it's not just all silly UX updates that a make a lot of us go :corsair:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 7, 2020

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Why don't you press control L instead of mousing all the way up to the bar

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hifi posted:

Why don't you press control L instead of mousing all the way up to the bar
Who're you talking to?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

D. Ebdrup posted:

One thing I do like about Firefox 75 is how even on my 10 year old laptop it's become so fast, with all of the additions that Mozilla have been putting in as a result of the switch away from XUL, that if I click the Open Updated Threads from SALR:Redux it still does the whole animation and loading of pages without lagging.
And that's without any of the compile-time options for improving the speed of Firefox that're enabled in the official builds, like link-time optimization and everything else enabled that comes with --enable-optimize.

So it's not just all silly UX updates that a make a lot of us go :corsair:

Where does that go?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where does that go?

I think they are saying that they build Firefox themselves or they use an unofficial build. The official binaries from mozilla.org would have compile-time optimization enabled.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 8, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
I like how the new "built for laptops" address bar is both taller and narrower than before and shows much less information.

Im_Special posted:

code:

Thanks.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 8, 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

My policy of only using keyboards and touch screens continues to pay off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
From reddit, this UserChrome.css copypaste will disable the embiggening effect that happens when you focus the megabar. Between this and turning off openViewOnFocus, I'm ok with the new bar.

code:
/* Disable urlbar expansion on focus */

#urlbar[breakout-extend]{top:calc((var(--urlbar-toolbar-height) - var(--urlbar-height)) / 2)!important;left:calc((var(--urlbar-toolbar-width) - var(--urlbar-width)) / 2)!important;width:100%!important}

#urlbar[breakout-extend] #urlbar-input-container{height:calc(var(--tab-min-height) - 3px)!important;padding:0px!important}

.urlbarView{margin:0px!important;width:100%!important}

.urlbarView-row{padding:0px!important}