Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

The Bloop posted:

In Trek the original isn't destroyed, it's sent. They cannot (intentionally) make a new (living) human with the transporter or replicator.

How Thomas Riker happens is just :techno: THEY don't even understand how it worked, and they can't duplicate it (yet)

Recognizing that they've gotten away from that premise, even so, you're reducing a person to data of some sort even if noone in the Federation has figured out Ctrl-C/Ctrl-P yet. Though I guess the ramifications are trivial when bumping the console in anyway during the process will send you through time/into a mirror universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Sanitize the entire planet!"
"Focus all fire on that settlement!"
"Obliteration pattern #5!"
"Ready weapons! On my mark!"

Just pick one, lady!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Good thing this one synthetic has decided not to build a ham radio to the Reapers. Seems like a good time to allow all of them who are now aware that they can do so to wander hither and yon with no supervision.

Edit: I'm still on my bullshit, did the Romulans hack the Synthetics on Mars?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Tighclops posted:

I know it is a minor nitpick but I think it's funny that out of all of the myriad of starship designs they could have lifted from Star Trek Online they picked one of the uglier ones

I wonder if they went with that one because it's a ship somebody making this show has played in the game or if it was just the first thing that showed up in their Google search for Starfleet ship designs

There are two classes of ship. They put in the effort to put in two classes, but the only difference is the detailing on the nacelles. :psyduck:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"These synths are genuine sentient lifeforms, with all the inalienable rights and freedoms that come along with it! They're people, just like you and me!"
"Hey, Soong just killed that one because he didn't like her."
"Whatever, it's just a robot, I bet it was evil or something anyway."
"Remember when Data killed Lore just like that?"
"lol"
"lol"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Trek has always had the problem that the transporter should turn their society into the Culture. I'm satisfied that they have some sort of doohicky with the patterns that makes sub-picometer accuracy possible only in a very limited application set.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

"These synths are genuine sentient lifeforms, with all the inalienable rights and freedoms that come along with it! They're people, just like you and me!"
"Hey, Soong just killed that one because he didn't like her."
"Whatever, it's just a robot, I bet it was evil or something anyway."
"Remember when Data killed Lore just like that?"
"lol"
"lol"

maybe the electric jolt just knocked her unconscious

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

galenanorth posted:

maybe the electric jolt just knocked her unconscious

Oh, I'm sure she'll be less genocidal when she wakes up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still can't believe that the Romulans were right. Their mythology was right. Their secret spies were right. But it doesn't matter because these robots decided not to do it this time. And the Romulans are evil villains because they were right the whole time.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I still can't believe that the Romulans were right. Their mythology was right. Their secret spies were right. But it doesn't matter because these robots decided not to do it this time. And the Romulans are evil villains because they were right the whole time.

If the "VISION" is sufficient to convince Allison Pill to endorse genocide and murder her lover maaaaaybe the society didn't need to be secret after all?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, this is kinda why i think the 'mystery box' characterization is incorrect. This show is extremely straightforward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The result of the beacon should have either been Soji shutting it down before finding out what would come through, or the synths that came through should have been benevolent. It being evil robot snakes that the Romulans can point to and say "SEE? WE TOLD YOU" is not a good resolution. But who knows, maybe there were nice snakes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The result of the beacon should have either been Soji shutting it down before finding out what would come through, or the synths that came through should have been benevolent. It being evil robot snakes that the Romulans can point to and say "SEE? WE TOLD YOU" is not a good resolution. But who knows, maybe there were nice snakes.

We've gotta establish diplomatic relations with the homicidal metal snakes to find out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You didn't get a good sense of the scale of the metal snake robots, but I feel like Riker's fleet could have taken them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We could have had a Mars Attacks style "Stop we are your friends" coming through the universal translator as they are ripping apart Romulan and Federation ships.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know that I should expect any competence from the guys that just forgot about the Hot Romulan dude who was in every episode and basically a main character, but the robot things need to:

1) Be huge or something
2) gently caress up some Romulan/Federation ships effortlessly

You gotta prove the Admonition correct.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cojawfee posted:

I was really holding out hope that the super-synths were benevolent, and the situation with the Admonition was some sort Q-like test of the synths' readiness to ascend to their level.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know that I should expect any competence from the guys that just forgot about the Hot Romulan dude who was in every episode and basically a main character, but the robot things need to:

1) Be huge or something
2) gently caress up some Romulan/Federation ships effortlessly

You gotta prove the Admonition correct.

If the Admonition turned out to be incorrect or lost in translation somehow, it could have been a kind of potent morality play about misinformation, myths, and bias.

Here's my pitch: both the synths and the organics wildly misinterpret the admonition through their respective biases. It turns out the only people who get it right are the humble xBs next door. The most persecuted people in the galaxy end up saving it, and force the major powers to have a reckoning about their immoral disregard for this refugee population.

That's okay, I'll show myself out Mr. Kurtzman.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 28, 2020

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yejAOxQkOWk May be relevant to you interests.. part 2!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

"Sanitize the entire planet!"
"Focus all fire on that settlement!"
"Obliteration pattern #5!"
"Ready weapons! On my mark!"

Just pick one, lady!

Oh getting constantly blue balled on launching her attack was very lowkey hilarious after like the third time it happens.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:sickos:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

1) Sure, but if I care enough about you to kick the poo poo out of someone who is mean to you, its pretty poo poo of me to leave both the promise and instructions on how to redeem the promise in a well on a single dead world. The actual reapers left all kinds of poo poo lying around.

3) Sure, magic spanner. I guess it was just a failure of imagination, if Picard had wished for a replicator that could pump out automated Sovereign-class ships instantly the Spanner would have provided.

4) Even presuming the Reapers robotentacles couldn't see what's up from scanning on their own "distress signal getting abruptly and violently cut off" seems like a call to action rather than an excuse to slither home.

Oh god, I think I'm experiencing Bijh.

1) That's a good point, pretty bizarre to leave one relic and hope the right AI life or anything stumbles upon it.

3) Wait, did Picard get his hands on the thing, I only remember Rios noodling with it and what it did seem to amount to nanobots sorting out some wires. Pumping out ships would feel broken for sure, that's way outside the scope of a psychic tool. Psychic manufacturing facility though? In-universe people in scifi and fantasy worlds always lack the imagination and knowledge to fully utilize their own capabilities, so nobody there probably thought to build one.

4) It's definitely an ambiguous signal when only briefly tested out, you'd think the reapers would at least send one of their oh-so-evolved scouts in to check things out.

What we saw of these super-robots looked like something you could definitely fight and blow up anyway. If you really wanted to obliterate a galaxy, seems like you'd want to do way better than war machines running around, just put a star everywhere that organics live.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently they did, although the show brushes over this fact very quickly. It's never explained how. You would think this would matter since if they are capable of that, what's to stop them from doing the same to the people on this new planet at some point?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What if for season 2 they bring back Vash, and she has a plan to steal some artifacts?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What if in season 2 they meet up with Geordi, and he's having weird dreams that are really an alien species trying to communicate with him?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

apatheticman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yejAOxQkOWk May be relevant to you interests.. part 2!

Wow, only 15 minutes into this and it kind of sounds like all the behind the scenes bullcrap with Picard and DISCO are entirely normal and on brand for trek production.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe in season 2 Crusher gets trapped on a planet w/ a huge storm they can't beam her up through, and she has to make use of her Starfleet skills to keep herself, and others, alive.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

Wow, only 15 minutes into this and it kind of sounds like all the behind the scenes bullcrap with Picard and DISCO are entirely normal and on brand for trek production.

I don’t think there’s been a single Trek first season that wasn’t riddled with some kind of studio interference or BTS drama or creator/writer turnover. Maybe Voyager? But even that had the recasting of Janeway after scenes had already been shot.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gambit was such a good 2-parter. drat.

lol I had no idea James Worthy played Doral. WHERES YOUR GOD NOW, MODERN TREK?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Gambit was such a good 2-parter. drat.
Honestly it's one of the weaker 2 parters on TNG, but it's not awful or anything.

The worst would be Time's Arrow, IMO

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly it's one of the weaker 2 parters on TNG, but it's not awful or anything.

The worst would be Time's Arrow, IMO

It's so much fun. Riker with mussed hair. Picard playing rogue. Data and Worf as 1 &2. A Klingon winning a slam dunk contest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I enjoyed Time's Arrow. MR PICKERD!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing about Time's Arrow is it's basically a Doctor Who episode.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Could be worse, it could be a DISCO episode!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Probably why I don't like it then

It's a very strange episode for late TNG

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Khanstant posted:

Yeah really puts into perspective how Star Trek was always a trashfire.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Good thing this one synthetic has decided not to build a ham radio to the Reapers. Seems like a good time to allow all of them who are now aware that they can do so to wander hither and yon with no supervision.

They apparently did, but as for why they did it specifically when the migration was happening that's because ?????????????

If the "VISION" is sufficient to convince Allison Pill to endorse genocide and murder her lover maaaaaybe the society didn't need to be secret after all?

The society had to be secret because it touching the thingy that tells you the secret can be so intense it can cause people to commit suicide. (Although it can apparently be overcome by humans and be summarized as "Don't build robots").

I wonder if the tool Picard has can also be used to tighten bolts using sound...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Did they ever explain why the secret reclusive android planet that wants to stay a secret built up elaborate fake backstories for Soji and inconsequential twin, wiped their memories, and sent them to very specific places out in the world? Other than because they needed a season to happen.

I love how the androids take all of 15 minutes to go from "Organics want to kill us all, this is so awful and inhumane of them!" to "I know, let's genocide all organic life in the galaxy, just to be sure!"

Just how loving inbred is the Soong bloodline? Every member of the family has looked identical for over 200 years now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Did they ever explain why the secret reclusive android planet that wants to stay a secret built up elaborate fake backstories for Soji and inconsequential twin, wiped their memories, and sent them to very specific places out in the world? Other than because they needed a season to happen.
That was another plot point that was glossed over very badly

I THINK it was to find the Admonition. But I don't understand why they would send a synth to Daystrom and a Romulan controlled derelict Borg cube to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SoupyTwist posted:

They apparently did, but as for why they did it specifically when the migration was happening that's because ?????????????

The Romulans as a whole didn’t do it, it was the Zhat Vash taking advantage of a crisis to launch an attack designed to scare the Federation away from continuing to utilize and produce synthetics.