Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Doesn't the xeno in Alien 3 show dog traits, mainly in how it feeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

evobatman posted:

Heldigvis bryr ikke myndighetene seg om det hvis du laster ned filmer som Den Åttende Passasjer.

This is the language xenos use to communicate. It sounds like hisses to us.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

evobatman posted:

Heldigvis bryr ikke myndighetene seg om det hvis du laster ned filmer som Den Åttende Passasjer.

Is this engineer speak? I want to live forever.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Doesn't the xeno in Alien 3 show dog traits, mainly in how it feeds?

Dog or ox, depending on the version you watch.

IIRC, the implication is that the chestburster embryo takes on the traits of the host. Dunno if it happened in the comics first though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vagabundo posted:

Dog or ox, depending on the version you watch.

IIRC, the implication is that the chestburster embryo takes on the traits of the host. Dunno if it happened in the comics first though.

It’s a concept that dates back to the first movie, Ridley Scott talked about it in interviews after the movie came out and used the example that if the Alien had come from Jones the cat that it would have been different.

James Cameron said basically the same thing after ‘Aliens’ came out, and even used the same Jones example.

Alien3 was the first time we see it on-screen - up to that point, the comics hadn’t touched the concept at all. The Kenner toys that came out after Alien3 obviously went hog-wild with it, but even the mainline Dark Horse comics have used the concept pretty sparingly.

Fun fact: the Alien in Alien3 was originally meant to come from an ox, and all of the Alien’s adult scenes were filmed first with that in mind. Then they went to film the ox-burster scene and couldn’t get the effects to work properly, so they scrapped it and re-wrote it with the Alien coming from the dog.
But the adult Alien scenes were already filmed and weren’t changed, so any “dog-like” behavior you think you’re seeing is pure coincidence. :v:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
In the comics you some times see strange Alien types, there were giant whale like aliens in one. How do they get impregnated? I figure whales or other giant creatures are so big the drat thing simply goes into their mouth and pop out the alien embryo from the inside. No face hugging needed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
T-rex/Spinosaur would wreck xenos.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Butterflies. Just as amazing as xeno life cycle?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Michael Biehn has been cast for Mandalorian's second season. Looks like someone was thinking about Aliens.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Son of a bitch. I'm not getting Disney+ but now I really want to see that show.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

T-rex/Spinosaur would wreck xenos.

Not necessarily. Like, one or two, perhaps, but the acidic blood would absolutely gently caress a dinosaur up.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

happyhippy posted:

I love the computer chatter. I wish I my PC would do this while I worked.

From way way back in the thread...

My new (used) laptop actually has this faint CLICK-click, CLICK-click noise every second or so that freaked me out but looking it up it seems the HDD has this, like, click in it but doesn't affect the lifespan or anything. It's kinda peaceful.

I'm convinced it's gonna destroy my hard drive in a year's time or less, but I suppose you get what you pay for. In my case it's a very Airplane! 2 technological experience for at least a couple months till I go trawling Craigslist for a compute. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqa2STJXvXE

Thinking on that now, gonna be some GOOD deals on ol' Mr. Craig's List in a few weeks/months. A golden age for the Repo/Pawn industry, one that will NEVER end. Might be a good time to upgrade if I don't lose my own job.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

While I'm here, I've been talking with people about how little this pandemic resembles any cinematic Pandemic. Newspaper literally published a 'Five comforting soup recipes to help you get over the quarantine blues" article, like. I dunno. If you had a character in Contagion or Outbreak or like, Dawn of the Dead ratatatting in their reporter's bullpen 'Five fun crafts projects to take your mind off Captain Tripps', anyone reading the script would be like, we get it man, consumerism/capitalism is soulless and lame, maybe don't beat the audience over the goddamn head with it, Jesus, they aren't idiots or children.

Anyway, what I'm saying is all this talk about sociological freight of the movies and the difficulty of the sequels... we've seen the Ice Road Truckers in the Convoy 70s and the OohRaw Marines in the post Nam 80s and the superpredator prisoners in the Lockemup 90s and the Scooby Crew in the snarky 00s, and whatever the gently caress brainworm abomination Prometheus and Covenant were (only saw Prometheus, and only cause I heard it was unelievably bad).

Anyway, tell me how this isn't a movie. Aliens land on earth/ well populated terran planet. Not some barren rock 'colony'. Hubworld. Things are obviously hosed there's publicly available video of them ripping poo poo up, everyone knows this from like, day one, but, well. It's a big old world. There's only a couple of these weird things way off in Space-China. People just can't imagine it affecting them.

Following some character development, cut to a few months later the grocery store worker we now know and love commuting to work. It's some armored Codehunters type train with turrets/marines blasting stray xenomorphs but with wrecked/burnt out ones pushed over to the side off the rails. This clearly works only most of the time. The Burke character, the store's assistant manager chews her out for being late, reminds her how many people are out of work with this shelter in place order and puts her on one of the poo poo duties, either scanning people at the door for chestbursters or running down and killing the spawn from the assholes who slip in infected and go John Hurt in the Totinos Aisle. And spreading like borax or baking soda on the spill and putting a wet floor sign over the hole and going back to work.

Some Wikileaks thing releases the scene of Ripley yelling about how if ONE of these things, ONE, makes it to earth you can kiss it all goodbye, and you can wipe your rear end with these reports!

And it's news for like, 8 hours. Because the gently caress is anyone supposed to do with the information? Protest? Move off world? Anyone who could afford THAT already did it. Any ship that could travel interplanetary has been gone for weeks if not months by now.

And that's like, act 1. Is this too dark?

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 26, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

On second thought I think I'm basically imagining the Apartment Raid Scene from Dawn of the Dead, stretched to Feature Length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uiuVW3bhXw

Edit, instead of CodeHunters, I think the train should be protected from xenos by random yahoos like Dead Man. "LOOK. They're shoot ting the xenomorphs! Government says... killed a million of em! Last month alone!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtUB8XCrqPg

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 26, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is the language xenos use to communicate. It sounds like hisses to us.

I think this goofy gif is from the theatrical cut. I remember the directors cut adding an obvious tail to the alien, and looking more natural. I'm actually convinced this is just a dog in a costume. Which since the Alien originally came from a dog, makes perfect sense.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I said come in! posted:

I think this goofy gif is from the theatrical cut. I remember the directors cut adding an obvious tail to the alien, and looking more natural. I'm actually convinced this is just a dog in a costume. Which since the Alien originally came from a dog, makes perfect sense.

It was actually a test of having a greyhound in their cute little alien costume. It looked horrible so they scrapped the whole idea. Thankfully. Although it is pretty adorable. :3:

PipHelix posted:

And it's news for like, 8 hours. Because the gently caress is anyone supposed to do with the information? Protest? Move off world? Anyone who could afford THAT already did it. Any ship that could travel interplanetary has been gone for weeks if not months by now.

They'd do exactly what they did when the coronavirus started to get serious here.... and Obama was elected.

Buy all of the guns and sell out all ammo everywhere.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

They'd do exactly what they did when the coronavirus started to get serious here.... and Obama was elected.

Buy all of the guns and sell out all ammo everywhere.

Small arms would be slightly more effective against a hive of Xenomorphs than the Obungler do-nothing-dictator commie nazi regime. The Xenos can't drone you from 40,000 feet up and 5 miles away.

Wasn't there a front page article on that, now that I'm remembering it? From the Obama era, a future history of the second civil war which was basically just the Patriots fortify a Fort Worth ChiChis and get nuked from orbit. And then they went and did Malheur and we realized the government would absolutely let eleven 40 year old bootcamp washouts with 9 high school diplomas and 37 shotguns between them steamroll the cops and military.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Fans of Michael Biehn (who comes up in this thread a lot) can be happy, he just got cast in season two of The Mandalorian: I wasn’t crazy about the show, but I’m glad he caught a break on a big project like this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah he really needs the work. And I'm glad a lot of people are going to see him since that show is so popular. I've never seen it nor probably will but that's really cool.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

PipHelix posted:

Small arms would be slightly more effective against a hive of Xenomorphs than the Obungler do-nothing-dictator commie nazi regime. The Xenos can't drone you from 40,000 feet up and 5 miles away.

They show 9mm rounds bouncing off their face at close range, so you'd at least need to use a pretty powerful rifle since Wal-Mart doesn't carry explosive-tipped armor-piercing stuff.

Yeah he really needs the work. And I'm glad a lot of people are going to see him since that show is so popular. I've never seen it nor probably will but that's really cool.

The first season was watchable. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy, but the vibe was much more of a spaghetti western or samurai flick in space. A lot of practical effects and costumes, too, which was cool. Nick Nolte is fun.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wild T posted:

The first season was watchable. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy, but the vibe was much more of a spaghetti western or samurai flick in space. A lot of practical effects and costumes, too, which was cool. Nick Nolte is fun.

Not just practical effects, in-camera effects. They're shooting in a 21' high, 70' diameter sound stage with LED walls and ceiling. Unreal Engine drives the 3D environment in the background and they shoot the action against the 3d background. No greenscreen, no being able to tell its a composite image because the lighting doesn't quite match, the action is lit by the environment. It's going to be a gamechanger for video production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5kPzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wild T posted:

Well I love all of those things, and Nick Nolte, so maybe some day I'll watch it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Werner Herzog is in it, so it can't be all bad.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's easily the best star war since loving, return of the jedi it feels like. It was massively more fun and star war and coherent than at least three of the last four movies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've got nothing against The Mandalorian. They could have easily phoned it in as a pacifier to every manbaby who has been whining since 1997 about how Star Wars has been ruined (e.g: me) but then they went ahead and made something decent (although it's hard to gently caress up Lone Wolf and Cub, be real). I also give Disney undue props for sleeping on Baby Yoda until his actual reveal, which was clearly accidental on the machine's part but made the concept tolerable instead of cloying (see: Baby Groot).

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It really was incredibly fun even from a non-fanboy perspective. It's Lone Wolf and Cub mixed with spaghetti western, which works well when leaning into the star wars EU with a light touch (which is something that should be repeated). The franchise is so big and deep and overblown that it demands little stories and genre one-offs that can sing on their own.

E:half beaten, yeah

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think in the EU Han Solo had sex with an otter or something so it's good that they don't rely on that too much.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

edit, deleted, I'm reading my way through the thread from the start, around p80, referencing a discussion of how Predator 2 goes off a basic assumption that major US cities were warzones, and one scene specifically references Bernhard Goetz. I had a vague, 2nd hand connection to the guy. Jumped to post it, didn't realize how derailing it was.

Anyway, sorry, and to put things back on track, is there a more Bechdel Test passing line than "Get away from her you BITCH"? Somehow in the Stallone/Schwartzenegger/JCVD mid-80s they had an action movie where the hero, villain and macguffin are all female and it's one of the baddest rear end sequences of the decade?

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 27, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What on earth are you talking about?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The hero (Ripley) is talking to the villain (the alien queen) to secure the macguffin (Newt). All three of the characters in the emotional finale are women and the line passes the Bechdel test because they're not talking about a man.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

purple death ray posted:

The hero (Ripley) is talking to the villain (the alien queen) to secure the macguffin (Newt). All three of the characters in the emotional finale are women and the line passes the Bechdel test because they're not talking about a man.

I meant more in it's not a Sundance exploration of angst type movie. In that it got a bunch of rat-tailed midwestern 1980s teen boys to yell "hell YEA, Holy poo poo!" at possibly the most female/maternal centered film/scene they'd probably been exposed to in their lives, without even realizing they pill they'd been tricked into swallowing. That's some feminist Judo right there (even if I recall something about Cameron being a poo poo to Kathryn Bigelow).

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 28, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mllaneza posted:

Not just practical effects, in-camera effects. They're shooting in a 21' high, 70' diameter sound stage with LED walls and ceiling. Unreal Engine drives the 3D environment in the background and they shoot the action against the 3d background. No greenscreen, no being able to tell its a composite image because the lighting doesn't quite match, the action is lit by the environment. It's going to be a gamechanger for video production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5kPzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

The tech is neat but its not quite there yet. Any environments with a strong direction light like the sun or spot lights etc doesn't work. You can't get a LED screen to simulate a direction light. That's why all the demos have been in diffuse soft light. The lighting always looked a bit off to me as well on the show for some of the environments. I mean its super cool but it can be gimmicky if over used.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

PipHelix posted:

I meant more in it's not a Sundance exploration of angst type movie. In that it got a bunch of rat-tailed midwestern 1980s teen boys to yell "hell YEA, Holy poo poo!" at possibly the most female/maternal centered film/scene they'd probably been exposed to in their lives, without even realizing they pill they'd been tricked into swallowing. That's some feminist Judo right there (even if I recall something about Cameron being a poo poo to Kathryn Bigelow).

:rolleyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PipHelix posted:

Having seen the rest of Cameron's filmography-- you know he just gets off to women taking charge, right?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
There was also Red Sonja which has multiple female protagonists and antagonists throughout. Incidentally, Red Sonja is pretty decent and a fun watch.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Red Sonja is good but since it also has Arnold & it's also a "swords & sorcery" flick it gets an unfair comparison.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Pennywise I haven't seen The Alien movie but I bet it's bad and stinks

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shaocaholica posted:

The tech is neat but its not quite there yet. Any environments with a strong direction light like the sun or spot lights etc doesn't work. You can't get a LED screen to simulate a direction light. That's why all the demos have been in diffuse soft light. The lighting always looked a bit off to me as well on the show for some of the environments. I mean its super cool but it can be gimmicky if over used.

And the Unreal Engine is better at rocky deserts than forested rolling hills. But it's a huge step and will mature in a year or two. The interiors work they did with it fooled everyone - who thought Werner Herzog's office was a virtual set ?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

m-mods?